Tom Savage will be the one going to start the season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ndtexan View Post

I have to defend BW a little when it comes to his time in Dallas. After Romo got injured and before Matt Cassell was put in, BW was indeed 0-3 as the cowboys starter. That is fact, but he also played those 3 games without Dez. I also remember that he was 22 for 26 in passing attempts for over 200 yards. I am not saying that he is our savior, but am also not going to say he couldn't be a decent bridge for DW if Savage fails
    he might be an alright back up or bridge qb, but don't tell me if I care about winning I should pull for Weeden. Savage I think would be better, but honestly the best QB in camp should start. But if Savage is on track to get us to 9-7 or worse again throw in Watson. Boom or bust I don't care. give me someone to build around or blow up the current regime on kirby.
    sigpic

Comment

And thats how you destroy a rookie qb with talent and potential...throw him in the fire and to the wolves when your Oline is a turnstile and able to protect him.

If we had the best Oline in the league like Dallas does then they can afford throwing in Dak and having success...just look at the history of rookie qb's starting right away and having success. In every case they were on an established team with an established Oline that could protect them and keep them upright.

If you throw Watson in there right away you might as well start calling him David Carr 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post
        And thats how you destroy a rookie qb with talent and potential...throw him in the fire and to the wolves when your Oline is a turnstile and able to protect him.

If we had the best Oline in the league like Dallas does then they can afford throwing in Dak and having success...just look at the history of rookie qb's starting right away and having success. In every case they were on an established team with an established Oline that could protect them and keep them upright.

If you throw Watson in there right away you might as well start calling him David Carr 2.0
        Derek Carr, Teddy B, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz.

All those guys were on established teams with dominant olines? the notion the rookies need to sit has been debunked many times. sometimes it works other times it doesnt. If deshuan is our best QB on the roster play him. Our oline isn't as bad as yall.want to make it sound. it is nothing like what David Carr had to play behind so don't even try to make that comparison. we finished 11th in pass pro, and I think 16th run blocking.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post

All those guys were on established teams with dominant olines? the notion the rookies need to sit has been debunked many times. sometimes it works other times it doesnt. If deshuan is our best QB on the roster play him. Our oline isn't as bad as yall.want to make it sound. it is nothing like what David Carr had to play behind so don't even try to make that comparison. we finished 11th in pass pro, and I think 16th run blocking.
          I agree -- I also think Offensive Coordinators and Head Coaches have more of a blueprint to follow when it comes to starting a rookie QB that didn't exist when David Carr was playing..

Comment

If yall want to ignore that Newton is no longer there and Clark and Lamm are not starter caliber...hell even when Newton was there he wasnt good....but sure yall go ahead and cry for them to throw him out there and set us back another 2 years and officially close the window for our best chance and on our now dominant D.

Comment

If yall want to ignore that Newton is no longer there and Clark and Lamm are not starter caliber...hell even when Newton was there he wasnt good....but sure yall go ahead and cry for them to throw him out there and set us back another 2 years and officially close the window for our best chance and on our now dominant D.
              You're right.. lets wait 'till next year when Duane Brown is 32 and we go Oline in the first and second round, oh wait... Maybe we fill holes through free agency like we did with Jeff Allen...

It'd be nice if he sat this year and was better equipped to handle the pressures of a weak oline next year, but it's not the same deal breaker that it was in the past.

Comment

I went and looked at his stats and they are bad, sure he played on a bade browns team, but he couldn't do squat with a Cowboys roster that went to the playoffs the year before and after him, so you can't tell me that's a bad team. Weeden knows his capabilities, and knows he is not a starter in this league. Hence why he signed an extension to be a 3rd string qb on a team with bad qbs. OB developed a he'll of a game plan for Weeden, like he did with Keenum, and Yates when they had to come in and spot start doesn't mean we should put out hopes in any of them.
                Thank you!!! If Weedwn was sooo good, he would be somewhere playing/starting. He just doesn't have "it" and he just hasn't been any good any place he's been. Im sure hes a nice guy n all but there's a reason he's not more than a backup on a team with huge QB issues. You are spot on...i think he's self aware and understands that he can still make a really nice paycheck by holding on to that backup/3rd string job for a few more years.

Comment

You know...if Weeden was that bad the Texans wouldn't have signed him and kept him on the roster either. Weeden has done just fine with his limited opportunities here in Houston. I couldn't really imagine a better veteran QB2 on the Texans roster at the price they are paying Weeden. It's called good old fashion insurance...you don't need it all the time but when you do, it's nice know it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post
                    You know...if Weeden was that bad the Texans wouldn't have signed him and kept him on the roster either. Weeden has done just fine with his limited opportunities here in Houston. I couldn't really imagine a better veteran QB2 on the Texans roster at the price they are paying Weeden. It's called good old fashion insurance...you don't need it all the time but when you do, it's nice know it's there.
                    we aren't saying he isn't a quality back up, our post was responding to people calling for Weeden to start just because he has the most experience.
                    sigpic

Comment

3 different reports on FanSided
                      1- Watson will be in competition for the starting role
                      2- Watson will not be the starter unless both Savage and Weeden are hurt
                      3- Texans didn't trade a 1st round pick for a rookie to ride the bench

Not sure which is accurate
                      JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
                        1- Watson will be in competition for the starting role
                        2- Watson will not be the starter unless both Savage and Weeden are hurt
                        3- Texans didn't trade a 1st round pick for a rookie to ride the bench

According to McClain on Mike Florio's podcast, Tom Savage will start, Brandon Weedon will back him up, and Watson will sit and learn.

He stated that as fact, no qualifying statement like "I think O'Brien would like to..."

Comment

yes all those team had more established Olines than we currently have right now. As of now we have NO STARTING RIGHT GUARD OR STARTING RIGHT TACKLE and we have no depth behind them....so yes ALL THOSE TEAMS HAD A MORE ESTABLISHED OLINE FOR THEIR ROOKIE QB TO START BEHIND.

Comment

yes all those team had more established Olines than we currently have right now. As of now we have NO STARTING RIGHT GUARD OR STARTING RIGHT TACKLE and we have no depth behind them....so yes ALL THOSE TEAMS HAD A MORE ESTABLISHED OLINE FOR THEIR ROOKIE QB TO START BEHIND.
                            the only whole on our line in most opinion is RT. Martin will be back this coming year, and that will force him or Mancz to one of the guard spots. Allen hopefully will be fixed with his calf surgery, but even if not a starting interior or Suafilo Manzc and Martin is solid, and we have some depth behind them. I think Lamm can be a better starting RT then Clark was, but I think we will see Davenport or a future FA manning that sometime soon.

Mariota went to PFFs 28th ranked oline, Winston to the 25th. They got qb and have worked to build a line around them to go along with their existing pieces, but their lines were not studs before their QB's were drafted
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
                              1- Watson will be in competition for the starting role -- Rick Smith
                              2- Watson will not be the starter unless both Savage and Weeden are hurt -- Bill O'Brien
                              3- Texans didn't trade a 1st round pick for a rookie to ride the bench -- Bob/Cal McNair

All of them.
                              In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

All of them.
                                And we know what one will happen then...

JJ Watt backs Savage as starter

I was reading 'J.J. Watt believes in Tom Savage as Texans' starter' on FanSided for iOS and I thought you might be interested in reading it too.
                                http://torotimes.com/2017/05/09/j-j-...exans-starter/
                                Last edited by Matt_in_KW; 1 week ago.
                                JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Working...
                                X