Tom Savage will be the one going to start the season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

And we know what one will happen then...

JJ Watt backs Savage as starter

I was reading 'J.J. Watt believes in Tom Savage as Texans' starter' on FanSided for iOS and I thought you might be interested in reading it too.
    http://torotimes.com/2017/05/09/j-j-...exans-starter/
    Of course he does, I think you would be hard pressed to find someone in that locker room who won't back Savage, that's their teammate and right now he is their guy. It's like a couple years ago every Titan was backing Mettenberger as their starter, and we're shown visibly upset when they drafted Mariota. Didn't make Mett good then, and doesn't necessarily mean Savage will be good.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post

Of course he does, I think you would be hard pressed to find someone in that locker room who won't back Savage, that's their teammate and right now he is their guy. It's like a couple years ago every Titan was backing Mettenberger as their starter, and we're shown visibly upset when they drafted Mariota. Didn't make Mett good then, and doesn't necessarily mean Savage will be good.

Exactly what he suppose to say, no i dont want Savage to be our starting QB. He was on board with Brock being the starter last season.

Its called toeing the company line.
      sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

Red Zone Play: Four Outta Three Ain’t Bad

Since it’s “let’s debate who should start for Houston under center” time, we can all expect dozens of “hot takes”, predictions and prognostications on just who will be QB1 for the Texans on Kickoff Day 2017.

Everyone seems to have an opinion based on raw stats, win/loss records, available game film and even plain old gut feelings. Unfortunately, we don’t have much apples-to-apples information to compare Deshaun Watson and Tom Savage,

Savage bounced through several schools before Houston selected him in the fourth round of the 2014 NFL draft. From Rutgers to Arizona to Pitt, Savage hit more college towns than some beer vendors in a longer than normal amount of time. He was forced to sit out the 2011 season due to NCAA transfer rules and redshirted in 2012. None of that sounds remotely similar to the collegiate careers of any Super Bowl Champion quarterback, but Savage did end his college career on the upside.

Deshaun Watson, however, had a far more glory-filled road. Watson landed at Clemson in early 2014 and never looked back, landing an NCAA Championship in the process. While Savage moved from team to team seeking the ability to start, Watson simply got into the game as a freshman and didn’t do much – except set a school record by passing for six touchdowns and 435 yards in the first game he played in.

Since there is no game film, no stats, no coaching notes or anything else to compare the two quarterbacks on the NFL field, all we’re left with is examining their collegiate careers.

Tom Savage - courtesy of sports-reference.com

Savage carried a career average of 61.2 completion percentage with 37 touchdowns, 19 picks and a rating of 131.1. Not too shabby for a guy who moved more than a fresh box of fidget spinners.

Deshaun Watson - courtesy of sports-reference.com

Watson, in comparison, was even more successful. 67.4 completion percentage, 90 touchdowns, 32 picks and a whopping 157.2 rating.

What many folks may not realize is these stats aren’t necessarily apples-to-apples either as the Clemson is obviously a far more stable environment than Rutgers/Arizona/Pitt for a quarterback to thrive in. Not to mention, I maintain my belief that Dabo Swinney is the best coach in the NCAA in recent memory, despite what anyone from Alabama might say. In fact, should Bill O’Brien decide to leave H-Town, I’ll be waving the “Bring Swinney to NRG” banner.

When you look at the numbers, check the available film on Watson and Savage, the only true determination you can make is that by college standards Houston is in a great position when it comes to quarterbacks.

Ultimately, I think Watson is the starter sooner rather than later and Savage quickly becomes one of the best QB2s in the league.

If Rick Smith can sort out the mess on the right side of the offensive line, Watson and rookie running back D’Onta Foreman could very well be the 2017 equivalent of Prescott/Elliot with the exception that the supporting cast in Houston won’t let them down the way a certain roster in Dallas did last season.

Either way, with either quarterback, it’s a great time to be a fan of the Houston Texans, now for the games to begin!

What do you think? Have a better way to pull a tale of the tape on the two quarterbacks? Bring it in the comments below!

Did author unintentionally stumble upon Texan's head coach succession plan...?
        In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

I would literally go nuts.

$ In Bill We Trust &

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

Odd not a mention of OB or a coaching staff in that.
            JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post

The op's last sentence is just comedic ignorance.
              While I was upset with QBs and WRs, I certainly didn't want them executed.
              https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post

If's and but's were candy and nuts....

Can't play hypotheticals..if that's how you wanna play it, though..

Remember vs the Bengals and Savage threw a wheel route to Hunt? It should have been a go ahead TD but Hunt slowed down (because he thought he was gonna score) and got caught from behind.

Not crowning the guy but 1 game and 1 half of football is too small a sample size to judge.

Watson most likely won't be the starter because of the simple fact that he doesn't know the playbook.
                not to mention the fact he has less snaps under center in a non-spread, non-option offense than I do lol and most spread offenses require very little in the way of reading the defense. they key off a safety or MLB to pass and a DE to run. he has a lot to learn AND the playbook hehe
                sigpic

Comment

We have quite different memories of his starts.
                  https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Good stuff to see even early

Savage and O'Brien on the same page
                    http://torotimes.com/2017/05/24/hous...s-bill-obrien/
                    JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Working...
                    X