No announcement yet.

Tom Savage will be the one going to start the season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it's preseason and they keep play calls vanilla. I know Savage feels the heat of a first round rookie qb on his back, and doesn't want to lose his last real opportunity. But he seemed like he was playing to not lose his job, not to shown he deserved it if you get what I mean. a lot of holding and double clutching, not really letting the ball fly. he was king of the check downs last night, I wanted to see him let it lose like he did against the jags when he came in last season. rather him go out swinging, then just watching himself get passed by. there is always next week though hopefully he shows more then
    sigpic

Comment

The reasons why those were check downs because O'Brien had to get Savage into rhythm. Those were design plays shishkabob.
      sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

I know its too early to start to start this talk and I also am not advocating that we do this. However I am curious what trade value other think Savage will have if he has a good pre-season and starts the regular season off strong. Unless he turns out to be elite, I don't see the Texans, who invested so much in Watson, keeping Savage on the field the whole season. I'm curious if we can re-coup some of our picks next year.

$ In Bill We Trust &

Comment

I know almost everyone is all excited to see what Watson can do but I have been waiting a long time to see what Savage can do. I sure hope he gets his chance. Other than me and a couple other members, I think he is going to shock people about just how good he is. I feel like Savage can win any game in any situation. And let's face it, Watson played almost the whole game and did not find a way to win with all his intangibles. But I have to put 50% of that on those terrible ref calls, Watson is fun to watch, but Savage can win games.
          Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
          TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post
            Savage...a lot of holding and double clutching, not really letting the ball fly.
            His clock is still a beat slow. Always been that way.

O'Brien forced him to speed up his process by going hurry-up.

We'll see if he's able to speed things up with more reps. He hasn't reached 100 real pass attempts yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
              The reasons why those were check downs because O'Brien had to get Savage into rhythm. Those were design plays shishkabob.
              yes every passing play has check downs built in. the check downs were not were the play was designed to go with the ball, it's a safety valve. you could see Savage look elsewhere but hold onto the ball, then just dump with off to the rb. Watson averaged nearly a yard more per attempt
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
                I know almost everyone is all excited to see what Watson can do but I have been waiting a long time to see what Savage can do. I sure hope he gets his chance. Other than me and a couple other members, I think he is going to shock people about just how good he is. I feel like Savage can win any game in any situation. And let's face it, Watson played almost the whole game and did not find a way to win with all his intangibles. But I have to put 50% of that on those terrible ref calls, Watson is fun to watch, but Savage can win games.
                Are you kidding me Savage had to go hurry up vs the 2s of the panthers to even get a decent drive off and get into a rhythm with the number 1 offense. Watson was playing with the bum O-linemen and 2-3 3rd stringers on 0. Lets see what watson can do with the 1s. Lets face it savage is just another QB similar to Hoyer, Brock, Fitzpatrick and mallett. Savage is what you want if your just trying to be steady. Watson will win you games cause he is able to add a different element to the game with his legs. Something we have never had, specifically with this O-line. Watson needs 1st team reps so we can see how he looks.

Comment

Originally posted by TexansWatt99 View Post

Are you kidding me Savage had to go hurry up vs the 2s of the panthers to even get a decent drive off and get into a rhythm with the number 1 offense. Watson was playing with the bum O-linemen and 2-3 3rd stringers on 0. Lets see what watson can do with the 1s. Lets face it savage is just another QB similar to Hoyer, Brock, Fitzpatrick and mallett. Savage is what you want if your just trying to be steady. Watson will win you games cause he is able to add a different element to the game with his legs. Something we have never had, specifically with this O-line. Watson needs 1st team reps so we can see how he looks.
                  This is the second time you've posted this and I think maybe you're overlooking a couple things.
                  1. The talent gap between their starting defensive line and our starting offensive line is much greater than the talent gap between their back up dline and our back up oline.
                    1. a. This was Nick Martin's first game -- his first two series were shaky at best.
                    2. b. Chris Clark at LT. IIRC -- Clark allowed the 3rd most sacks of any tackle in the league last year and also had the 3rd most penalties of any tackle.
                  2. I don't have game pass and can't watch the ALL 22, but I would guess the first couple series we were calling plays to push the ball down the field (plays taking longer to develop) and our oline couldn't give him time. After the 2nd series we made adjustments.
                  One user described Watson as a catalyst after his first game. I agree -- I was very impressed after he settled down. If he builds on that performance against NE while Savage struggles, he'll have a strong case to start week 3.

But seriously -- let's not overreact after week 1 in the preseason.

Comment

Please let's come up with these excuses for Tom Savage. I understand some wants him to get a shot. But come on 99 was right. On those first two drives he was holding onto the ball too long. So coach adjusted so he could get him and the oline going.
                    sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

• So what happened on Watsons first 2 drives? Really guys. Tom is better in every way but scrambling.
                      Accuracy
                      Experience
                      Team leadership
                      Paid his dues
                      Is just a better qb. Go look at the qb rating and see which one did better. I havent looked but I'll bet Tom had a better qb rating in limited action.

Why did they go hurry up? Because if you haven't been following along, we have little to no oline. The Panthers are one of the best defenses in the league. We went to a quick pass offense to get the ball out quickly when it was obvious our oline was crumbling. Hey I like what Watson brings too. But I want to play a guy who will win more games and right now I think that guy is Savage and it isn't even close.
                      I encourage everyone who feels like Savage is just a nobody to go watch his games at Pitt. Evaluate his talent and fearlessness. This guy is a pro pocket passer with incredible accuracy and the ability to throw any route under extreme duress. Just because the powers that be have not trusted him does not make him a chump. He is a solid talent and we are lucky to have him. Don't worry, no one believes he will be starting past 6 games because of the Watson hype anyway. You'll get your Watson, I just hope it isn't too soon because we need to win some of those tough early games.
                      Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                      TexansCap.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
                        So what happened on Watsons first 2 drives? Really guys. Tom is better in every way but scrambling.
                        Accuracy
                        Experience
                        Team leadership
                        Paid his dues
                        Is just a better qb. Go look at the qb rating and see which one did better. I havent looked but I'll bet Tom had a better qb rating in limited action.

Why did they go hurry up? Because if you haven't been following along, we have little to no oline. The Panthers are one of the best defenses in the league. We went to a quick pass offense to get the ball out quickly when it was obvious our oline was crumbling. Hey I like what Watson brings too. But I want to play a guy who will win more games and right now I think that guy is Savage and it isn't even close.
                        I encourage everyone who feels like Savage is just a nobody to go watch his games at Pitt. Evaluate his talent and fearlessness. This guy is a pro pocket passer with incredible accuracy and the ability to throw any route under extreme duress. Just because the powers that be have not trusted him does not make him a chump. He is a solid talent and we are lucky to have him. Don't worry, no one believes he will be starting past 6 games because of the Watson hype anyway. You'll get your Watson, I just hope it isn't too soon because we need to win some of those tough early games.
                        Watson has been in more meaningful games than savage ever has. Savage was a 4-5 round prospect. He bounced around colleges. We done seeen these So called big armed QBs in OB system fail time and time again. Knowing this System don't mean a thing if 6 points ain't being put on the board. Let's see how savage looks against the pats 1s. Watson need to get his chance with the ones also especially if savage looks terrible against the pats.

Comment

So what happened on Watsons first 2 drives? Really guys. Tom is better in every way but scrambling. Accuracy
                          Experience
                          Team leadership
                          Paid his dues

I like Savage but I don't see whats special about him besides a big arm.

The reason watson will start is because he's more determined and the resume speaks for itself, he's a "proven winner".
                          Savage still looks the same from last year. He holds the ball too long and that's the reason he gets injured often.
                          He has better accuracy but as watson develops, I don't see that being a big problem in the future.
                          Savage got a fair shot, truthfully he's just another guy. How many more chances are you willing to give him. lol until he looks good?
                          He's played 3 1/2 games with 0 td's and the rookie hasn't been in the league for 3 months and already has more td's.
                          I have to disagree with being a better leader. Tom Brady and JJ watt are natural leaders.
                          It's been reports where Bob has said watson is the first guy in practice and he likes his demeanor because it never changes. Actions reflect leadership captain.
                          You let him play early on to get experience, you sit him and you've wasted 2 draft picks and stunted growth.
                          As far as his hype, its well deserving. No one knows why the browns, jets or jags passed on the guy. We're lucky to have him on board
                          Last edited by TexasHouston; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
                            If the play is designed to be a 2 yard pass, it wouldnt be called a check down.

Its all he can find after he CHECKS DOWN the other options.
                            2016 pre-draft prediction...7-9

Comment

• I hope Savage starts against the Pats. He is a good backup QB but not the franchise QB. Looking for Watson to take over eventually but let him take his time and learn as he goes. He needs time with the number 1's and by the 4th game should be starting if not sooner. His upside is just soo much higher than Savage, just don't rush him too much. I am fine with Savage starting the season just so we don't get into the back and forth between QB's. When Waton goes in during the season it should be for good, no looking back or questining the choice. He will be special and the Texans will finally have a franchise QB.
                              Last edited by charpy; 1 week ago.
                              Proud Adopter of Will Fuller

Comment

So what happened on Watsons first 2 drives? Really guys. Tom is better in every way but scrambling.
                                Accuracy
                                Experience
                                Team leadership
                                Paid his dues

Watson is first at practice and stays late.
                                Savage played with the 1st team offense vs the panthers 2s After the 1st series the panther took out their Defensive starters..... just like we did....
                                Savage has been here 3-4 yrs looked mediocre every time played. 2014 came in vs the colts looked lost.
                                2015 looked meh couldn't be out Mallet or Hoyer. Yes he got hurt, but availability is important also.
                                2009 at Rutgers Savage completed 52.1% of his passes 14tds-7int 2211 yards in 12 games
                                2010 played 6 games completed 51.2% 2 tds-3ints 521 yards.
                                2011 transferred to pitt. Completed 61.8% of his passes 21tds-9ints for 2958 yards in 13 games
                                overall savage completed just 56.8% of his passes in college.
                                Only evaluation that was made, was that he had the prototypical QB look Nice Frame so called big arm. So many of these QBs get drafted off that alone Ryan Mallet, Brock Osweiler, Bortles ETC.
                                Osweiler and Mallett were awful here.
                                The whole knowing the system is overrated to me. It is already said that Watson has been picking it up quickly. Hoyer mallett, and Fitzpatrick all knew the system and stunk it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X