No announcement yet.

Tom Savage will be the one going to start the season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the Texans would be wise to learn from the mistakes with David Carr and also the mistakes that Washington made with RGIII, I think it will benefit Watson for Houston to take it slow with him, ease him into the role instead of throwing him to the wolves and trying to ride him to a Championship in his rookie year. RGIII was so good that rookie year, they ruined the kid in that playoff game against Seattle with the way they handled that knee injury, James Andrews and Mike Shanahan should be horsewhipped for it, downright shameful. I think we stay patient with Tom Savage and if things don't work out we go with Watson mid season after he's had more than 6 weeks to settle in.
    Last edited by OG 2002; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by OG 2002 View Post
      I think the Texans would be wise to learn from the mistakes with David Carr and also the mistakes that Washington made with RGIII, I think it will benefit Watson for Houston to take it slow with him, ease him into the role instead of throwing him to the wolves and trying to ride him to a Championship in his rookie year. RGIII was so good that rookie year, they ruined the kid in that playoff game against Seattle with the way they handled that knee injury, James Andrews and Mike Shanahan should be horsewhipped for it, downright shameful. I think we stay patient with Tom Savage and if things don't work out we go with Watson mid season after he's had more than 6 weeks to settle in.
      This team is much better than the expansion team David Carr took over. That was just the wrong pick in general. I weary about starting watson after 6 weeks cause its possible we are 1-2 after the 1st 3 weeks. with a crucial division game vs the Titans. You really want to have watson come in having to dig us out a hole ?

Comment

• Originally posted by TexansWatt99 View Post

Watson is first at practice and stays late.
        Savage played with the 1st team offense vs the panthers 2s After the 1st series the panther took out their Defensive starters..... just like we did....
        Savage has been here 3-4 yrs looked mediocre every time played. 2014 came in vs the colts looked lost.
        2015 looked meh couldn't be out Mallet or Hoyer. Yes he got hurt, but availability is important also.
        2009 at Rutgers Savage completed 52.1% of his passes 14tds-7int 2211 yards in 12 games
        2010 played 6 games completed 51.2% 2 tds-3ints 521 yards.
        2011 transferred to pitt. Completed 61.8% of his passes 21tds-9ints for 2958 yards in 13 games
        overall savage completed just 56.8% of his passes in college.
        Only evaluation that was made, was that he had the prototypical QB look Nice Frame so called big arm. So many of these QBs get drafted off that alone Ryan Mallet, Brock Osweiler, Bortles ETC.
        Osweiler and Mallett were awful here.
        The whole knowing the system is overrated to me. It is already said that Watson has been picking it up quickly. Hoyer mallett, and Fitzpatrick all knew the system and stunk it up.

There is a big difference between a big arm and an accurate passer. I didn't like Mallett or Brock. And Savage has played well for us every time. People see what they want to see I guess.
        My opinion is Savage gives us the best chance to win. Savage knows the score. If he loses, he will be replaced. That's some pretty good motivation. I think we saw some of what people were weary of with Watson. His downfield accuracy can be sputtery at best, sometimes not even close at all like the 10 foot overthrows he had 2 of. I like the ability to scramble he brings, and with our oline, that will come in handy when he eventually becomes the franchise qb. But the scrambling can be a double edged sword. We have had maybe 2 qbs who scrambled win a superbowl. Steve young . had a talented team and he was pretty good. and who maybe McMahon who we all know the defense was why he won, and maybe Stabler who really wasn't scrambling much at that point in his career. Cam is one of the best running qb's and we saw how his inaccuracy as a passer constantly lets the team down year after year. If Cam can't do it...why is everyone so excited about Watson doing it here. Savage is the guy who can get us a Superbowl victory this year, not Watson.
        We'll see what happens. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Savage outplay Watson in preseason and still lose the start in game 1. It's happened before.. 2015 and 2016. I'm sure Smith is anxious to wash away his big Brock mistake with a "See I picked a good qb everybody", and sit Savage down no matter what. Savage will need to go undefeated for at least 10 games before he gets any respect around here.

No one knows what will happen. If Tom gets hurt again and Watson comes in, I'll be all for it. I'll be glad we have him. I agree with dancinbear about drafting at least 1 qb every year until one sticks. They give good trade value even if they are terrible, ala Mallett. And I liked what I saw out of Watson for his first game he looked pretty good to me. But I think if you play Watson game 1, it will be a regrettable decision when we have Savage primed and ready.

And knowing the system might not be necessary in some cases but let's say you are behind by 2 points and there is 1 minute left on the clock. I'd prefer to have a qb who knows without thinking what the plays/formations/defenses etc are doing. True that Savage has not stayed healthy, but he is healthy now, and should be our starter without question.
        Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
        TexansCap.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Yosarian View Post

There is a big difference between a big arm and an accurate passer. I didn't like Mallett or Brock. And Savage has played well for us every time. People see what they want to see I guess.
          My opinion is Savage gives us the best chance to win. Savage knows the score. If he loses, he will be replaced. That's some pretty good motivation. I think we saw some of what people were weary of with Watson. His downfield accuracy can be sputtery at best, sometimes not even close at all like the 10 foot overthrows he had 2 of. I like the ability to scramble he brings, and with our oline, that will come in handy when he eventually becomes the franchise qb. But the scrambling can be a double edged sword. We have had maybe 2 qbs who scrambled win a superbowl. Steve young . had a talented team and he was pretty good. and who maybe McMahon who we all know the defense was why he won, and maybe Stabler who really wasn't scrambling much at that point in his career. Cam is one of the best running qb's and we saw how his inaccuracy as a passer constantly lets the team down year after year. If Cam can't do it...why is everyone so excited about Watson doing it here. Savage is the guy who can get us a Superbowl victory this year, not Watson.
          We'll see what happens. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Savage outplay Watson in preseason and still lose the start in game 1. It's happened before.. 2015 and 2016. I'm sure Smith is anxious to wash away his big Brock mistake with a "See I picked a good qb everybody", and sit Savage down no matter what. Savage will need to go undefeated for at least 10 games before he gets any respect around here.

No one knows what will happen. If Tom gets hurt again and Watson comes in, I'll be all for it. I'll be glad we have him. I agree with dancinbear about drafting at least 1 qb every year until one sticks. They give good trade value even if they are terrible, ala Mallett. And I liked what I saw out of Watson for his first game he looked pretty good to me. But I think if you play Watson game 1, it will be a regrettable decision when we have Savage primed and ready.

And knowing the system might not be necessary in some cases but let's say you are behind by 2 points and there is 1 minute left on the clock. I'd prefer to have a qb who knows without thinking what the plays/formations/defenses etc are doing. True that Savage has not stayed healthy, but he is healthy now, and should be our starter without question.
          I don't have a horse in this race. I like Savage and what his talent may bring to the team. I however don't trust his body and it's ability to stay healthy at the moment. I love Watson for what he has accomplished pre-NFL, however I also understand he shouldn't be thrown to the wolves. My personal opinion is that Savage should be game 1 starter. If he wins, or loses competitively he remains starter for game two. If he loses horribly, he gets one more chance in week two. If he is mediocre to horrible in week two, back to the bench he goes.

$ In Bill We Trust &

Comment

• Originally posted by TexansWatt99 View Post

This team is much better than the expansion team David Carr took over. That was just the wrong pick in general. I weary about starting watson after 6 weeks cause its possible we are 1-2 after the 1st 3 weeks. with a crucial division game vs the Titans. You really want to have watson come in having to dig us out a hole ?
            What I meant was that if they start him week 1 then he will have only had like 6 weeks with this team, 2 months counting August preseason when it's done. With the limited practice rules they have now he's not going to have the best chemistry with his receivers and running backs, timing and other growing pains could result in him getting injured or just having his confidence shattered early on in his career like what some say happened to David Carr. This offensive line still has some work to do and whole offense will probably struggle early on as we adjust to Bill calling plays. I think Watson and the Texans are better off with Savage going through that phase, depending on how he does I'd say we hold off on Watson and give Savage a chance. Savage will probably have some growing pains of his own I'm sure, we seen some of them in the Bengals game that he struggled in and also that Titans game with the big fumble he had. We just got to stick it out with Savage through the early part of the season, who knows, with the receivers and offensive line we have this offense could fall on it's face again next year just like it has the last 3, do we really want our future out there getting beat up and scarred for life trying to make a broke offense work?
            Last edited by OG 2002; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yosarian View Post

Man your accuracy theory on Savage needs to be tossed to the starving hogs. 99 just proved to you that he wasn't accurate in college or in his short stunt in the NFL.
              sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

• Originally posted by OG 2002 View Post
                I think the Texans would be wise to learn from the mistakes with David Carr...
                David never put the work in. He was a 9 to 5 QB. Those types are never prepared.

Originally posted by OG 2002 View Post
                RGIII was so good that rookie year, they ruined the kid in that playoff game against Seattle with the way they handled that knee injury, James Andrews and Mike Shanahan should be horsewhipped for it, downright shameful...
                That's always on the doctors. They are the only arbiter on injuries/play.

RGIII was very strong but small-boned. Playing him as a runaround QB in the NFL was going to result in injury, and that's mostly on Shanihan in my opinion. But we've seen since that RGIII has proven incapable of playing from the pocket, so some of it's on him too.

Originally posted by OG 2002 View Post
                I think it will benefit Watson for Houston to take it slow with him...
                When the owner and GM tell you to play a QB and you do different, you get fired here. See Gary Kubiak/Keenum.

I'm in wait and see mode, but Watson is going to have to do better than ~50% at knowing the offense/getting us into the right play...
                "There's a lot to build on," O'Brien said. "I mean, there's a lot to correct. He knows that. I'd say he was about 50-50 on some of the schemes we run, right or wrong. He was right 50 percent of the time. He was wrong 50 percent of the time. And that's to be expected with a rookie. But I think his overall poise and demeanor and the way he sees the game has always been something that's pretty impressive to me."

Comment

• Originally posted by theCATALYST View Post
                  I don't have a horse in this race. I like Savage and what his talent may bring to the team. I however don't trust his body and it's ability to stay healthy at the moment. I love Watson for what he has accomplished pre-NFL, however I also understand he shouldn't be thrown to the wolves. My personal opinion is that Savage should be game 1 starter. If he wins, or loses competitively he remains starter for game two. If he loses horribly, he gets one more chance in week two. If he is mediocre to horrible in week two, back to the bench he goes.
                  I'll say this.. Savage hasn't shown us anything to this point. I know we have a tough schedule early on so I would be ok with Savage starting up until week 4 after the patriots. To say this guy will be the man, I don't think he will be healthy throughout the season so a lot of you savage supporters should relax. You're speaking highly of the guy and pointing out deshaun flaws as if he's rg3 in his 1st nfl game. I want to see what savage can do so far. Even though he still looks the same, you can't say your confident he's the man for the job because he hasn't shown you anything but play conservative. The games savage has won in his 3 starts (2-1) was mainly because of the defense playing well so don't get ahead of yourselves. We picked deshaun because he's a proven winner. Throughout his life he has worked hard and has always been the starter. I trust bob as who he will choose to start. Either qbs I'm not mad but if deshaun shows you he corrected his mistakes, you have no option but to start him week 1. You can't compare deshaun to only rg3. You have to compare him to other athletic rookie qbs as well and so far I see Russell Wilson. I've never seen deshaun get hurt in college but the most important thing is this guy can win us a superbowl in his 2nd season if he progresses good and he actually plays on the field to get experience. I see some people comparing him to other rookies but I don't see anyone talking about the receivers in the game who couldn't catch passes or the excessive amount of penaltys we received which made him start in tough situations. I do agree he has to work on his accuracy but who are you guys to say he's not a quick learner. Let's be positive about the situation and just because you see people calling him terrible doesn't mean there NFL scouts. Every rookie deserves time.

Comment

• Originally posted by TexasHouston View Post
                    I'll say this.. Savage hasn't shown us anything to this point. I know we have a tough schedule early on so I would be ok with Savage starting up until week 4 after the patriots. To say this guy will be the man, I don't think he will be healthy throughout the season so a lot of you savage supporters should relax. You're speaking highly of the guy and pointing out deshaun flaws as if he's rg3 in his 1st nfl game. I want to see what savage can do so far. Even though he still looks the same, you can't say your confident he's the man for the job because he hasn't shown you anything but play conservative. The games savage has won in his 3 starts (2-1) was mainly because of the defense playing well so don't get ahead of yourselves. We picked deshaun because he's a proven winner. Throughout his life he has worked hard and has always been the starter. I trust bob as who he will choose to start. Either qbs I'm not mad but if deshaun shows you he corrected his mistakes, you have no option but to start him week 1. You can't compare deshaun to only rg3. You have to compare him to other athletic rookie qbs as well and so far I see Russell Wilson. I've never seen deshaun get hurt in college but the most important thing is this guy can win us a superbowl in his 2nd season if he progresses good and he actually plays on the field to get experience. I see some people comparing him to other rookies but I don't see anyone talking about the receivers in the game who couldn't catch passes or the excessive amount of penaltys we received which made him start in tough situations. I do agree he has to work on his accuracy but who are you guys to say he's not a quick learner. Let's be positive about the situation and just because you see people calling him terrible doesn't mean there NFL scouts. Every rookie deserves time.
                    You are absolutely right. I am hoping Savage can stay on the field too. Then we will know for sure one way or the other. Having Watson is a bigtime luxury for us if Tom gets hurt again or if he just isn't as good as I think he is.
                    Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                    TexansCap.com

Comment

• I understand the RGIII argument but I don't see it as a valid argument, his legs set up the rest of his game. When he lost his mobility after the injuries his game went down. He was never a very pure passer. He had arm talent but he was a true dual threat and once he couldn't move outside the pocket and teams didn't have to account for him tucking and running it anymore he became a marginal QB. Jay Gruden not giving him a fair shake also had a lot to do with that but he knew that Cousins was the direction he wanted to go and that's worked out for them. Idk if he'll ever win them a super bowl or even get them close to one but he's a pretty solid QB.

Comment

• Watson's legs remind me more of a-rod's tbh. He does that same kind of thing scrambling out of the pocket to buy time more than to rush the ball.

Comment

• Savage: 'My mindset is that this is my team'

ESPN
                          WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. -- Tom Savage has waited a long time to be the Houston Texans' starting quarterback. After sitting behind Brock Osweilerfor most of 2016, he heard the Texans were interested in Tony Romo this offseason. After that saga, the Texans traded up to draft Deshaun Watson in the first round.

Now, heading into the regular season, Savage is the Texans' starting quarterback, and he doesn't plan on that changing anytime soon.

"My mindset is that this is my team. And I'm not going to let anyone take it," Savage told ESPN.

"Now, I can't control what happens. I can only control what I can do. And I said it before. It's a pretty simple equation I think a lot of people overthink, especially in this league. If you go there and you win and you play well, they can't pull you. And if you go out there and you lose and the offense doesn't look good, they can pull you. So the goal is to go out there and play well and win games. And that's all you can really control."

After the Texans traded quarterback Osweiler to the Cleveland Browns in March, Bill O'Brien named Savage his starting quarterback, and has stuck by that the entire offseason. O'Brien said that Savage has earned the right to be the No. 1 quarterback, but like any position on the team, he has to earn that every day.

On Monday, Watson took first-team reps during practice. Savage has seen the majority of those snaps during training camp. O'Brien downplayed the significance of Watson's reps, saying it had more to do with how the opportunities lined up to continue to get Watson snaps during practice.

Savage started the Texans' preseason opener, and played for three series before Watson took over. Savage got off to a slow start, but on the third drive he led the offense on a 13-play, 75-yard drive that led to a touchdown. He was 9-of-11 for 69 yards, at one point completing eight straight passes.

"I'm proud of Tom [Savage]," O'Brien said. "He's a resilient guy. He's really worked hard to learn our system, he's worked hard in the weight room, he's had to overcome injuries. He's had to overcome a lot, and I think he's doing some good things out here."

Comment

• At long last, Tom Savage is 'ready to be the guy' for the Texans

ESPN
                            WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. -- It has always felt like something was standing in Tom Savage's way.

First, the injuries in 2014 and ‘15. He had recovered from his shoulder injury two years ago but was already on injured reserve because the Texans needed the roster spot.

And then before Savage had the chance to prove himself the following season, the Houston Texans signed Brock Osweiler to a four-year, $72 million deal, relegating Savage to another year as a backup.

He finally got his chance in 2016 when Texans coach Bill O'Brien benched Osweiler in Week 15 against Jacksonville, and after making two starts, he took a hit in a meaningless Week 17 game and suffered a concussion. Osweiler took over and started Houston's two playoff games, even after Savage had recovered.

After Osweiler was traded, there were rumors the Texans were interested in Tony Romo. After Romo retired, the job was Savage's -- and then the Texans traded up to draft former Clemson star Deshaun Watson in the first round.

"No matter where you are in your career, there's always someone behind you that's coming for that job," Savage told ESPN.com. "And you can never take your foot off the pedal there. So that's kind of how I've always been. That's always how I'm going to be. I don't care if we win five Super Bowls here. If I'm the starting quarterback, I'm going to think that every year, somebody's going to take my job, they're going to bring someone in to take it. And that's kind of how I always play."

Savage is not oblivious to the investment the Texans have in Watson, but that doesn't change the fact that he feels this is his time to shine as an NFL starting quarterback.

"I [am] ready to be the guy."

Welcoming Watson

Savage doesn't remember the moment he found out the Texans traded Osweiler to the Cleveland Browns, leaving him next in line to be the starter.

"I think I was out in Arizona, actually, throwing," Savage said.
                            "It's not Deshaun's fault that he got drafted here. That's what [GM] Rick [Smith] and Bill [O'Brien] believe is going to help, so I'm going to be there for this team no matter what because I care about the 53 or 89 guys now. And they're my No. 1 priority."
                            Tom Savage
                            The details don't matter to Savage. His focus was on the "honor and blessing" it was to be named the starter by O'Brien. "You know you're one of 32 in the world," Savage said.

A month later, Houston gave up two first-round picks to trade up to the No. 12 slot to draft Watson. That the Texans invested so much to go up and get Watson made a clear statement about how much the front office valued Watson and the team’s desire to find its first true franchise quarterback. The Texans’ belief in Watson may be the biggest obstacle yet for Savage to get a fair chance to prove he can be their quarterback for the entirety of the 2017 season.

Immediately after Watson was drafted, Savage sent him a text welcoming him to the team. The easy response was to be frustrated, but Savage wanted to make sure Watson knew he was welcome in the quarterback room, and there was no animosity toward the rookie.

"I just think life's too short to be pissed at a decision that a grown man's going to make to help his team out," Savage said. "And I knew they did that to help this team out. And that's what they think is in the best interest of this team.

"It's not Deshaun's fault that he got drafted here. That's what [general manager] Rick [Smith] and Bill [O'Brien] believe is going to help, so I'm going to be there for this team no matter what because I care about the 53 or 89 guys now. And they're my No. 1 priority."

The text worked. Watson said he has felt welcomed into the quarterback room and that Savage has been "supportive and helpful."

"He's kind of taken me under his wing and been helping me out with this whole system and everything," Watson said. "It's been good, and it's going to continue to be that way."

All three signal-callers have talked about how fun the quarterback room has been and that they want each other to succeed, even though they are, of course, competitive. Savage said the room has "give and take" between the quarterbacks, in which they help each other out when they see things.

"There's no doubt that Tom has brought out the best in Deshaun, and I think it's the same with Deshaun bringing out the best in Tom," O'Brien said. "I think it's a good room. They're good people, they're very competitive guys, but they root for each other. They really do. Tom has really helped Deshaun with learning this offense how he learned it when he was a rookie."

Watson has picked up the offense quickly, and he has put that on display during training camp and the Texans’ first preseason game. In his NFL debut, Watson was 15-of-25 for 179 yards and a rushing touchdown. O’Brien has praised Watson repeatedly during training camp, calling him one of the best rookie quarterbacks he has ever coached. And although most of the media attention has been on Watson, O’Brien has maintained that Savage has also had an excellent training camp, and he remains the starting quarterback.

"I think [Watson is] ahead of where some rookies I’ve been around have been," O’Brien said. "I’ve seen him be able to do that. I think he needs to do it more consistently, but he works very hard to get it right. If he doesn’t get it right away on the field, he goes into the meeting room and tries to fix it.

"Again, a lot of these questions are about Deshaun, which I understand. He was a great college player and he’s a rookie here, but Tom does the same thing. And I think Deshaun learns a lot from how Tom prepares and how Tom learns and how he watches tape and comes out to practice ready to go and things like that. I think it’s been very productive for both guys."

'We've got to score some points'

To say the Texans' passing game struggled last season is an understatement. Between Osweiler and Savage, the Texans ranked 30th, with a passer rating of 73.3 -- 29th in the NFL -- averaging 199 passing yards per game. Texans quarterbacks threw 15 interceptions -- all of which were from Osweiler -- which was tied for 30th in the league. And the quarterbacks were dead last in yards per attempt.

Savage knows that. And he knows how tough the Texans' defense is -- a unit so good, he believes, that if the offense can "protect the ball and score points," Houston will be a Super Bowl contender.

"Offensively, we know that we need to really step up and make some plays so we can give them some breathing room because they can only do so much," Savage said. "They can score points, but they can't score enough for them to win games. We've got to go out there and score touchdowns. We say that to the defense all the time.

"The offensive leaders, we go up and talk to the defense and say, 'Hey, we got you guys this year. We're going to do it.' I just think it's important for us offensively to not put them in bad situations because ... it's tough to drive the field on our defense.

"My goal is to do whatever I can to help this team to win a Super Bowl. And offensively, like I said, we've got to score more points. And I know I'll probably get criticized for saying that because it's so obvious, but we've got to protect the ball and we've got to score points. And I think if we do that, with this defense, we have a shot."

A simple equation

This season is not only huge for Savage because it is his first as a starter, but it's also a contract year as he enters the fourth year of his rookie deal. Savage said he, of course, knows the importance of playing well this year, but it's "ridiculous" for him to even think about playing for the next contract.

"I need to win this job and I need to play well. I mean, I've [started] two games in my NFL career," Savage said. "For me to think about contracts and stuff like that, it's just ridiculous. I've got to go out there and I've got to prove myself and play well and all that stuff will take care of itself. It's just a privilege to be on this team, let alone talk about a contract."

Savage could play very well and still not be in Houston next season. If everything goes according to plan for the Texans, Watson will be the Texans' starting quarterback at some point. If Savage plays well, he could delay that until 2018. Either way, a successful season means he can earn a big contract, whether it’s with Houston or another team.

"It's a pretty simple equation I think a lot of people overthink, especially in this league," Savage said. "If you go there and you win and you play well, they can't pull you. And if you go out there and you lose and the offense doesn't look good, they can pull you. So the goal is to go out there and play well and win games. And that's all you can really control."

Comment

• Greg Cosell on the young QBs, comments begin on Watson and Savage at 4:05 mark...

Went on to talk about the other rookie QBs, too.

Fair assessment, as usual. Mirrors much of Kollmann's takes.

Comment

• No quarterback crisis for these Texans

Savage has been named the starter, and he's proved capable, but Watson keeps the QB conversation lively

By Jenny Dial Creech
                                The rust was knocked off this time.

When Tom Savage - the Texans' starting quarterback - took the field at NRG Stadium on Saturday in the team's preseason 27-23 win over the Patriots, he looked more comfortable than he did the first time around.

Maybe it's the thick Houston air, that heat he's been avoiding while training with the team in the mountains of West Virginia.

Or maybe it's the pressure rookie Deshaun Watson is putting on him. Whatever the case, Savage looked more like an NFL starter than he did in the first preseason game against Carolina more than a week ago.

Instead of easing his way into things, Savage came out and turned heads in his first performance at home. He played two drives, was 8 of 9 passing for 98 yards and threw for a touchdown. Not bad at all
                                Still the calls will come for Watson to start.

Watson worth watching

Watson is exciting. There's a reason everyone watching the Texans is chomping at the bit to see the rookie play and possibly steal Savage's spot. But Savage isn't just handing it over.

Houston, your quarterback questions this year are different than they've been in the past. This year, you have a quarterback competition - a good one the contenders take seriously.

This is going to be fun.

It's hard to tell much from preseason football. Savage has played in only two quarters. He's led five total drives. In those five, he was 17 of 20 passing for 167 yards and a touchdown. He hasn't turned the ball over.

He's far from perfect, but from one performance to the next, there was improvement.

"I'm really, really comfortable with this offense," Savage said. "We have a lot of talent out there and a lot of the guys are making some big plays for me and it's been awesome."

Factor in that everyone is watching Savage and waiting for him to mess up. As soon as he does, the cries for Watson to start will grow louder. The desire for Watson makes sense.

Anyone who watched him in college saw something special. When the Texans drafted him in April, it was a huge moment for the franchise - maybe the team's best draft pick.

Watson could be the franchise quarterback. But he is only a rookie. And Bill O'Brien has been clear Savage, a semi-veteran, is going to start.

Don't let that fool you into thinking there is no quarterback competition in Houston. Savage might be the unpopular choice, but he's winning. His performance Saturday solidified that.

Make no mistake that a slip-up, a few bad plays, an injury and Watson will step in. Last week when the Texans were at camp in West Virginia, he took a few first team snaps. He's made an impact on O'Brien - a coach who has high expectations for his quarterbacks.

"The guy comes out here every day and tries to get better, and that's what you've seen," O'Brien said last week. "He's improving in his knowledge of our system, his understanding the defensive looks."

Watson, again, wasn't rattled Saturday night when he took the field in the second quarter.

He doesn't look like a rookie. He had a few struggles Saturday night but recovered to rush for a 2-yard touchdown. He was 3 of 10 passing for 102 yards. He showed flashes of the athleticism that makes him one of the most highly anticipated quarterbacks in the NFL.

Savage and Watson playing well in camp and in the preseason games makes each better. They've created a good, old-fashioned quarterback battle.

A competitive one.

Upgrade from last season

It's what the Texans need to jump-start their offense.

Last year, there was no competition for quarterback and it didn't go well. Brock Osweiler was the overpaid and under-performing guy all season long.

Savage is neither of those.

He's a guy with a little experience who has been given an opportunity. And there's someone right below him nipping at his heels to take it.

There is little drama. Savage is the starter. That hasn't changed since it was announced the night Watson was drafted.

Savage and Watson are friendly. They work well together.

It seems genuine.

All that being said, the position is competitive. And both will be better for it.

Savage showed enough Saturday to prove the starting job is safe in his hands. He shut up a few critics by coming out strong and leading the Texans down the field twice with authority.

Having healthy competition is making Savage better.

Having a healthy quarterback competition will make the Texans better.

Comment

Working...
                                X