Have We Improved?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have We Improved?

What are the realistic expectations of our team this season and have we actually improved?

QB - Maybe a slight improvement, but I'd consider this to be similar to last year until proven otherwise.
    RB - Hopefully Foreman can lighten the load for Miller and keep him healthy all year, making this an improvment.. Sounds like his health is in question this year though.
    WR - The talent is there, can the QB capitalize? Does Fuller take a step forward this year?
    TE - Same as last year -- hopefully CJ continues his growth.
    LT - I'm thinking we should see more consistent play start to finish from Brown, being a year removed from his quad injury.
    LG - More of the same
    C - A strength last year, I'd expect more of the same
    RG - I think with Mancz or Martin kicking over we improve here.
    RT - No Improvment Yet....

Offense -- On paper I don't see much improvement, but hopefully we have fewer turnovers with the switch at QB.

DE - JJ Watts return makes this a really nice improvment
    DT - I think Reader can step in just fine and we shouldn't see a loss in production.
    OLB - The loss of Simon wasn't really addressed.. Do we ask Clowney to stand up and kick Merc over? Cunningham is too small to set the edge the way Simon did, correct? Maybe McKinney is asked to fill that role?
    ILB - The addition of Cunningham gives us a coverage LBer and should keep our ILBs fresh
    CBs - The loss of Bouye hurts, but I think the additional pressure from Watt helps mitigate that loss. As a position group we got weaker though. Johnson should be more consistent after his recovery.
    S - The loss of Demps was not addressed... I'm a huge fan of Balentine, but he can't stay healthy and will undoubtedly give up some big plays due to his lack of starting experience.. I think he can get there though.

Defense -- A couple of key losses weren't addressed, but I think our overall Defensive production maintaines the status quo.

With that being said... Is that enough for a playoff birth given the additions of the rest of our division? Its gonna be a fun year to watch!
    Last edited by SteelBluCurtain; 05-04-2017, 12:49 PM.

QB is the same.

Foreman will help the run game.

OL is a mess and should have been addressed in FA and the draft.

WRs are the same, Savage can get the ball to them.

DL should be good and JJ is back.

ILB is going to be better, OLB we need more depth. Clowney is the only DL player who I would put OLB but that wasn't good last time.

DBs no telling we lost good players and only drafted a guy that it says needs to be a S to make a roster (nothing about him ever being a starter). JJo and Johnson are the only 2 we know what they will play CB. KJax was rumored to be moving to S. However, drafting a CB that needs to be a S makes me think he is staying at CB. We only have 5 DBs signed we need more than that. S no question should have been top 3 in the draft with OL and QB...wasn't. CB we have 2 players but how do they fit in?

Overall I think we stayed about the same. If Savage stays healthy it's a huge plus. With luck one of our OL picks or players returning from injury can help. RB improved alot, Foreman has ability and could be the starter in a year or two.
    JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
      QB is the same.

OL is a mess and should have been addressed in FA and the draft.
      You think OL is as big a mess as everyone makes it out to be? I know Martin still hasn't played an NFL down, but I think he or Mancz will be a significant upgrade over Jeff Allen.. Sua Filo is serviceable.. Agree'd that it needed to be addressed, but I think OL play will be improved over last year.

Comment

We don't know if we improved or not. We will have to get some game footage to determine that big timer.

The QB can not be the same either. Brock was a hot mess, so to say we are the same is completely and utterly wrong.
        sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
          We don't know if we improved or not. We will have to get some game footage to determine that big timer.

The QB can not be the same either. Brock was a hot mess, so to say we are the same is completely and utterly wrong.
          1- We have Savage who by owner orders was the backup and only had a slight chance to show anything.

2- Weeden has talent but he has not gotten into a game that means anything.

3- We have a rookie that is inaccurate and yet to step on the field in a game with NFL players.

That would be accurate to say we stayed the same. The plus side is Savage has a great grasp on the system. The question is can he stay healthy, not to mention will (like Brock) McNair want Watson to start? If so then growing pains will happen and if he can't handle NFL speed and Ds yet is it better than Brock? You are aware that if Savage starts and stays healthy Vegas has decent odds of a good playoff run 10-6 record. If Watson starts they have us slipping into the playoffs and 1 and done (8-8 record). Odds change all the time but that was about 1 day ago.

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post

You think OL is as big a mess as everyone makes it out to be? I know Martin still hasn't played an NFL down, but I think he or Mancz will be a significant upgrade over Jeff Allen.. Sua Filo is serviceable.. Agree'd that it needed to be addressed, but I think OL play will be improved over last year.
          I think it can go either way really. One of the late round picks or FA could be a "Brady" and really help the run and pass. Martin has ability, but according to scouts not the abilities of his brother (sadly). He can help I think however. DQ has been beating odds with cancer and was looking great they said prior to learning about it. If he can get into decent football shape he will help alot. In recent pictures while he isn't as big as he was, he is probably 3/4ths his playing size. Strength and endurance are the key for him. I have a feeling that he is probably busting his butt as we type here getting that back. OB loves the guy and 1/2 is the person that other 1/2 is how he was doing prior to the cancer. He has youth and the whole team behind him. Counting him out (as some probably have) would be a mistake.

The 2 keys are Savage starting and stays healthy and the running game improves. It should with Foreman who don't count him out as our starter in 1-2 years. He has alot of upside and if we do release/trade Blue he will have more chances to show what he can really do. And got a feeling due to his size being similar to Blue (Foreman is bigger). That he was drafted as his replacement, if he can handle the speed of the NFL. Blue is a good guy and teammate but for his size he plays small and avoids contract like he is only a 190lb scat back. Foreman will run past, around or through/over your D.

The D should be about the same. JJ is back so that helps due to the loss of key DBs. If a QB has no time to throw, the DB issue (for now anyway) is made smaller. With luck we can get a few signed that can play. Plus some will get released during OTAs and TC. Never know who you may have available.

The
          Last edited by Matt_in_KW; 05-04-2017, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I think we have gotten better but the question is are we true contenders or just champions of the AFC south or worse. It will boil down to QB play. I don't think we can be worse at QB than last year. I still think Weeden was the best option last year. I hope Watson turns out to be the one.

Comment

Originally posted by bs58 View Post
              I think we have gotten better but the question is are we true contenders or just champions of the AFC south or worse. It will boil down to QB play. I don't think we can be worse at QB than last year. I still think Weeden was the best option last year. I hope Watson turns out to be the one.
              According to pretty much everyone who saw TC and even before during OTAs. Savage outplayed everyone by a big margin. OB had planned to start Savage too, before Brock was signed. However, McNair wanted his 72mil QB to start. Even the only guy who is most likely right about anything related to the Texans has hinted at how much better Savage was than anyone else (McClain). The issue with McClain flat out saying or writing that Savage was best of the QBs is trust. He has access to information about the team that no one has. Because McNair likes him, respects him and trusts him. If he lost any trust, he would not be able to tell the fans as much as he tries. McClain has a way of hinting at something in a way that most fans see it as news. And to no big shock, it is news that he has not said flat out.

Weeden has the tools, but Savage has just been too good for him to overtake him. The question with Weeden is the same as with Savage. They both are well versed with the system and can run it well. Will either have the chance to start or will McNair again order a QB to start in Watson, who is not ready for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

1- We have Savage who by owner orders was the backup and only had a slight chance to show anything.

2- Weeden has talent but he has not gotten into a game that means anything.

3- We have a rookie that is inaccurate and yet to step on the field in a game with NFL players.

That would be accurate to say we stayed the same. The plus side is Savage has a great grasp on the system. The question is can he stay healthy, not to mention will (like Brock) McNair want Watson to start? If so then growing pains will happen and if he can't handle NFL speed and Ds yet is it better than Brock? You are aware that if Savage starts and stays healthy Vegas has decent odds of a good playoff run 10-6 record. If Watson starts they have us slipping into the playoffs and 1 and done (8-8 record). Odds change all the time but that was about 1 day ago.

I think it can go either way really. One of the late round picks or FA could be a "Brady" and really help the run and pass. Martin has ability, but according to scouts not the abilities of his brother (sadly). He can help I think however. DQ has been beating odds with cancer and was looking great they said prior to learning about it. If he can get into decent football shape he will help alot. In recent pictures while he isn't as big as he was, he is probably 3/4ths his playing size. Strength and endurance are the key for him. I have a feeling that he is probably busting his butt as we type here getting that back. OB loves the guy and 1/2 is the person that other 1/2 is how he was doing prior to the cancer. He has youth and the whole team behind him. Counting him out (as some probably have) would be a mistake.

The 2 keys are Savage starting and stays healthy and the running game improves. It should with Foreman who don't count him out as our starter in 1-2 years. He has alot of upside and if we do release/trade Blue he will have more chances to show what he can really do. And got a feeling due to his size being similar to Blue (Foreman is bigger). That he was drafted as his replacement, if he can handle the speed of the NFL. Blue is a good guy and teammate but for his size he plays small and avoids contract like he is only a 190lb scat back. Foreman will run past, around or through/over your D.

The D should be about the same. JJ is back so that helps due to the loss of key DBs. If a QB has no time to throw, the DB issue (for now anyway) is made smaller. With luck we can get a few signed that can play. Plus some will get released during OTAs and TC. Never know who you may have available.

The
                So basically you view our quarterbacks as trash. Because thats exactly what Brock was.
                sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

I'm not buying the savage is starting quotes I think it will be an open competition and why are people mention weeden he might not even be on the team based on those 2 starts from savage he was not that impressive to me beat a jags and barely beat a beat bengals team that missed a FG. Watson to me is already the best QB on the team based on ability he is also more mobile than savage and I feel he is a better leader savage vs watson will be the main focus of OTAS in a few weeks

Comment

0 TDs and Int for his career in 2 and a half games he hasn't proved to be a starter to me let em battle it out

Comment

Offense:

QB- Better. Savage and Weeden are much better than Osweiler. Watson should get his shot in 2018. He has a lot to learn and one off-season does not give him playbook knowledge over Savage and Weeden.

RB- Better. Foreman will be a big step up over the other big backs in the backfield. Having Miller and Foreman makes for a very strong tandem. I like Hunt better than Blue. Ervin being a RD4 pick probably gets another year to prove himself.

WR- Better. Hopkins will be Hopkins and as much as I railed about using him as a trade chip, I'm going to watch with interest as to how he approaches this season without a new contract. Fuller and Miller will be another year wiser and should rebound to prove their value. Strong is a receiver I like and coming back from injury should give him the motivation to prove his value. Williams is my sleeper in this group. He's going to make the cut and depending on how the off-season goes will determine where he fits into this rotation. His speed is real, his hands are solid and catch radius is surprising.

TE- Same. It only gets better if as a whole, there are less holding penalties, the group can be effective blockers and most important, they can catch the ball. Savage may actually help them a lot in that area since his throws are a big step up over Osweiler's.

OL- Same. I'm looking forward to May 8 as an opportunity to come back to this group and re-assess based on possible FA signings. Brown is fine at LT, Su'a-Filo looked much better at the tail-end of the season...maybe the light finally went on, Mancz should stay at Center since actually had the most consistent season of any of the OL, Martin should be ready to resume football and his whole off-season should dedicated to RG, and RT is still the question mark. If "Q" is in a position to compete...maybe RT is in his future. I'd prefer the Texans to sign the best FA OT available no later than the 9th. There will be some acceptable depth and a couple of new guys who are going to need some time to learn and grow.

This group could take a big step forward this season with improvement to the right side of the OL. This could enable the running attack to work both sides of the line with the same or close to the same authority. Benefit? Defense's cannot tee off on exclusively trying to shut down the left side runs and this allow both Foreman and Miller to exploit the right side early on. Getting the running going will allow Obie to dig much deeper into his playbook to keep defenses guessing...that's where Savage and Weeden could be playing their biggest roles, playbook knowledge.

Defense:

Same #1 defense!

DL- I'm keeping this the same. I'm looking forward to watching Watt, Clowney, Reader, Watkins, Covington and Heath do some damage.

LB- Mercilus...no problem! McKinney made big gains last season. Biggest move here...Cushing goes outside to set the corner b/c he has the physicality and veteran knowledge to do just that. Cunningham goes inside to join McKinney. Having such a great DL makes Cunningham joining the starters much easier.

S- I don't understand the DeCoud pick when a bonafide SS ((Harvey-Clemons) was there for the taking. This could be addressed with a veteran FA as well. I've always wanted to see the team move KJax to his natural position at FS.

CB- Good group returning and adding best available FA left may not be a bad idea.

Special Teams:

Could be better.....just need to find a solid threat for the return game and more consistent coverage play.

Comment

NOPE!!!

But its gonna be a fun watch. I'd pay to just watch 99 play though.

And maybe Clowney...................... This O-line is stinky, we know it, management knows it, the other team knows it................ WE JUST DONT GIVE A CRACK ABOUT IT.
                        THE Anti troll

Comment

They better improve, IJS!

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post
                            Offense:

QB- Better. Savage and Weeden are much better than Osweiler. Watson should get his shot in 2018. He has a lot to learn and one off-season does not give him playbook knowledge over Savage and Weeden.

RB- Better. Foreman will be a big step up over the other big backs in the backfield. Having Miller and Foreman makes for a very strong tandem. I like Hunt better than Blue. Ervin being a RD4 pick probably gets another year to prove himself.

WR- Better. Hopkins will be Hopkins and as much as I railed about using him as a trade chip, I'm going to watch with interest as to how he approaches this season without a new contract. Fuller and Miller will be another year wiser and should rebound to prove their value. Strong is a receiver I like and coming back from injury should give him the motivation to prove his value. Williams is my sleeper in this group. He's going to make the cut and depending on how the off-season goes will determine where he fits into this rotation. His speed is real, his hands are solid and catch radius is surprising.

TE- Same. It only gets better if as a whole, there are less holding penalties, the group can be effective blockers and most important, they can catch the ball. Savage may actually help them a lot in that area since his throws are a big step up over Osweiler's.

OL- Same. I'm looking forward to May 8 as an opportunity to come back to this group and re-assess based on possible FA signings. Brown is fine at LT, Su'a-Filo looked much better at the tail-end of the season...maybe the light finally went on, Mancz should stay at Center since actually had the most consistent season of any of the OL, Martin should be ready to resume football and his whole off-season should dedicated to RG, and RT is still the question mark. If "Q" is in a position to compete...maybe RT is in his future. I'd prefer the Texans to sign the best FA OT available no later than the 9th. There will be some acceptable depth and a couple of new guys who are going to need some time to learn and grow.

This group could take a big step forward this season with improvement to the right side of the OL. This could enable the running attack to work both sides of the line with the same or close to the same authority. Benefit? Defense's cannot tee off on exclusively trying to shut down the left side runs and this allow both Foreman and Miller to exploit the right side early on. Getting the running going will allow Obie to dig much deeper into his playbook to keep defenses guessing...that's where Savage and Weeden could be playing their biggest roles, playbook knowledge.

Defense:

Same #1 defense!

DL- I'm keeping this the same. I'm looking forward to watching Watt, Clowney, Reader, Watkins, Covington and Heath do some damage.

LB- Mercilus...no problem! McKinney made big gains last season. Biggest move here...Cushing goes outside to set the corner b/c he has the physicality and veteran knowledge to do just that. Cunningham goes inside to join McKinney. Having such a great DL makes Cunningham joining the starters much easier.

S- I don't understand the DeCoud pick when a bonafide SS ((Harvey-Clemons) was there for the taking. This could be addressed with a veteran FA as well. I've always wanted to see the team move KJax to his natural position at FS.

CB- Good group returning and adding best available FA left may not be a bad idea.

Special Teams:

Could be better.....just need to find a solid threat for the return game and more consistent coverage play.
                            QB will def be better without a sporadic Lossweiler under center, and for MATT KW to say "Weeden hasnt gotten into a game that means anything"....he's actually come in and run our offense and has gotten us a W...so to say it doesnt mean anything is a bit misleading

RB will be better with Foreman joining Miller in the backfield. I think we keep Ervin and hope he settles those nerves in punt/kick return.

WR's will improve with improved QB play...the inaccurate brock really made our WR corps look bad

TE's are the same.

OL needs a lot of help, but to those that want or say that Mancz should stay at C...I dont see how yall can even be happy with that considering Martin flat out beat him out before the season started and before his injury. Why would you want a less talented C to start over a natural leader and C in Martin?? Im not sure about DQ's future....yes he was young 3 yrs ago and had a lot of talent and good size, but this battle with cancer has taken a toll on his size and strength and he is no longer a spring chicken.

Defense: we are thin at CB and S and will need to resolve that asap.

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post

So basically you view our quarterbacks as trash. Because thats exactly what Brock was.
                              I'm more in the wait and see category -- I like Savage and think he can succeed. I'd like to think he'll take better care of the ball and minimize turnovers, but with such a small sample size, its hard to tell how teams will adjust to his weaknesses after 5 or 6 games, and how he'll react to that.

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post

That makes too much since, I love this idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X