Have We Improved?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post

You do know the protection was not bad at all last season. If i remembered correctly our pass protection was ranked 11 and run protection was around 5th. The issue was Brock Osweiler
    For the season, Osweiler has been sacked 22 times and hit 75 times overall. The Texans have the 30th-ranked passing offense as Osweiler has thrown 13 interceptions.

After the packers game OBrian had this to say about pass protection...

It was terrible, O'Brien said of the pass protection. It's got to get a lot better. It was just not good enough. We've got to do a better job coaching it with the right protections. It just wasn't good enough. Brock was under pressure most of the day and had to run sometimes, had to move in the pocket. It just wasn't good enough.

PFF says
    18. Houston Texans (11)

Top overall grade: LT Duane Brown, 85.7 (No. 17)

Top pass-blocking grade: C Greg Mancz, 87.2 (tied for No. 3)

Top run-blocking grade: LT Duane Brown, 84.8 (No. 7)

We have reached the point in the list where every remaining O-line is, at best, severely flawed. The Houston Texans’ unit saw a mix of excellent performances and pretty terrible ones in the regular season. LT Duane Brown began to creep back towards his best play this season, allowing only one sack all year and run blocked well, with the league’s seventh-best grade in that area, at 84.6. Greg Mancz—a player that dominated PFF’s grades in college—looked like a solid find for the team at center in his second season after being an undrafted free agent in 2015. Mancz allowed one sack and 18 total QB pressures across 671 pass-blocking snaps in the regular season, and was perfect in his Wild Card outing against the Raiders last week. Chris Clark, however, was the league’s worst pass-protecting right tackle, surrendering a ridiculous 67 total QB pressures on the season; he was also flagged 13 times. The guard pairing either let themselves down run blocking (Jeff Allen) or pass blocking (Xavier Su’a-Filo) over the year.
    Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
    TexansCap.com

Comment

Texans got worse in draft? Football Outsiders thinks so

TexansWire
      If the Houston Texans are looking to play the disrespect card, the analysts at Football Outsiders just dealt them a great hand. The analytics website projects the Texans to be even worse now after the draft, lowering the projected win total from 6.1 to just 6.0.

This comes despite the dramatic trade to select Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson, as well as bolstering the defensive front with Zach Cunningham and Carlos Watkins. Apparently, the moves aren’t enough to convince the Football Outsiders staff the Texans in any better shape.

Their comments, available on ESPN Insider, build upon their earlier contention the team’s first-place schedule would be a big hindrance for Houston.
      Drafting Deshaun Watson doesn’t really improve their offensive projection too much; it’s not realistic to expect a good season from any rookie, even a first-round pick. Houston is also surprisingly consistent on special teams, and not in a good way; they’ve ranked in the bottom five for five straight seasons. Those two units outweigh a defense that was good last year and should be better with the return of J.J. Watt.
      They believe the other AFC South rivals all did more to improve themselves than Houston. In fact, the prediction is for a first-to-worst collapse by the Texans. The margins are pretty thin, with Tennessee and Jacksonville both projected to finish 8-8 and the Colts at 7-9.
      In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

1- We have Savage who by owner orders was the backup and only had a slight chance to show anything.

2- Weeden has talent but he has not gotten into a game that means anything.

3- We have a rookie that is inaccurate and yet to step on the field in a game with NFL players.

That would be accurate to say we stayed the same. The plus side is Savage has a great grasp on the system. The question is can he stay healthy, not to mention will (like Brock) McNair want Watson to start? If so then growing pains will happen and if he can't handle NFL speed and Ds yet is it better than Brock? You are aware that if Savage starts and stays healthy Vegas has decent odds of a good playoff run 10-6 record. If Watson starts they have us slipping into the playoffs and 1 and done (8-8 record). Odds change all the time but that was about 1 day ago.

I think it can go either way really. One of the late round picks or FA could be a "Brady" and really help the run and pass. Martin has ability, but according to scouts not the abilities of his brother (sadly). He can help I think however. DQ has been beating odds with cancer and was looking great they said prior to learning about it. If he can get into decent football shape he will help alot. In recent pictures while he isn't as big as he was, he is probably 3/4ths his playing size. Strength and endurance are the key for him. I have a feeling that he is probably busting his butt as we type here getting that back. OB loves the guy and 1/2 is the person that other 1/2 is how he was doing prior to the cancer. He has youth and the whole team behind him. Counting him out (as some probably have) would be a mistake.

The 2 keys are Savage starting and stays healthy and the running game improves. It should with Foreman who don't count him out as our starter in 1-2 years. He has alot of upside and if we do release/trade Blue he will have more chances to show what he can really do. And got a feeling due to his size being similar to Blue (Foreman is bigger). That he was drafted as his replacement, if he can handle the speed of the NFL. Blue is a good guy and teammate but for his size he plays small and avoids contract like he is only a 190lb scat back. Foreman will run past, around or through/over your D.

The D should be about the same. JJ is back so that helps due to the loss of key DBs. If a QB has no time to throw, the DB issue (for now anyway) is made smaller. With luck we can get a few signed that can play. Plus some will get released during OTAs and TC. Never know who you may have available.

The
        a rookie that is inaccurate? he threw for 67 percent plus each year in college. don't see that. I think he has some hurdles to overcome but not accuracy, probably just taking snaps under center and using the whole field will be the biggest challenge and just learning the playbook. I just want there to be a fair competition for the starting job weighted in favor of Savage because of his knowledge of the offense. meaning that all other things being equal savage wins off knowledge and experience. I don't think its ever good to start a rookie QB personally.
        sigpic

Comment

Andy Benoit @Andy_Benoit
          #Texans have had one of NFL’s best-coached secondaries under John Butler. Players overachieving in complex scheme.

Whether Kareem Jackson moves to S could come down to how DB coach John Butler feels about No. 4 CB Robert Nelson.

Doubt Kareem Jackson ultimately moves to S. #Texans set at that position and with Bouye gone, no longer deep at CB.

Wonder what percent of time #Texans rookie OT Julie’n Davenport gets called “Julie” when his name is read aloud. Bet near 50.

Will #Texans 4th round pick OT Julie’n Davenport be starter as rookie? RT Newton out, RT Clark major liability in pass pro.

#Texans 3rd round RB D’Onta Foreman a power back – nice contrast with Lamar Miller (a finesse back).

Imagine Zach Cunningham was drafted to eventually replace Benardrick McKinney in dime. McKinney not a great pass defender.

Book on 2nd round LB Zach Cunningham is must be kept clean from blockers. #Texans DL has size for that.

O’Brien’s scheme doesn’t make natural use of mobile quarterbacking. O’Brien will have to do some adjusting.

Deshaun Watson not a very strong arm, but an excellent touch-passer. How will that translate to NFL?

O’Brien scaled back his complex scheme to accommodate QBs last season. How much will he do that for Deshaun Watson?

Bill O’Brien has had a very short hook and vacillating approach to QBs as #Texans coach. Hard to see Watson not playing by OCT.

No QB has entered NFL with more pressure than Deshaun Watson. Jordan label, college reputation, SB-ready team, 2 first rounders spent on him

Pushing some lazy narratives in there, but some of it is on point.

Personally I think Mitch Trubisky is under more pressure: dumb trade up to draft him, starting QB is not happy about him, and they're already booing him up there.
          In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
            Andy Benoit @Andy_Benoit

Pushing some lazy narratives in there, but some of it is on point.

Personally I think Mitch Trubisky is under more pressure: dumb trade up to draft him, starting QB is not happy about him, and they're already booing him up there.
            Foreman isnt a power back either. Hes a downhill back.. Hes a train, not a bulldozer, he needs to reach top speed before he can move anyone. Adrian peterson and Blount have the ability to truck guys in a single step.. Foreman needs a full head of steam.
            sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

In short, we only got better at QB, as yes, I do believe Watson is pretty darn close to being pro ready. His best bet is to start at least most of the season and take his lumps. RB we finally have a decent #2 back since Ben Tate, LB we got Cushing's eventual replacement, but he'll be a rotational piece this season. DB we have MAJOR holes. JJo is old, Kareem is not that great, Kevin Johnson is hurt 24/7 (shoutout to the member who called that one when we drafted him) and idk if Julie Davenport solves the RT issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 281Texan View Post
                In short, we only got better at QB, as yes, I do believe Watson is pretty darn close to being pro ready. His best bet is to start at least most of the season and take his lumps. RB we finally have a decent #2 back since Ben Tate, LB we got Cushing's eventual replacement, but he'll be a rotational piece this season. DB we have MAJOR holes. JJo is old, Kareem is not that great, Kevin Johnson is hurt 24/7 (shoutout to the member who called that one when we drafted him) and idk if Julie Davenport solves the RT issue.
                Watson has a year to learn and then I hope so. In a video comparison to QBs of the 2000's he was compared to some good ones and to...VY. As it said he is similar in how he scrambles and isn't the most accurate but can get yards with his feet. The final part got me, it said:

"Watson has similar traits to Young, but is more mature. Time will tell if he can complete the change from college to the NFL or be a washout"

To find the video search Watson compared to current and former NFL starts.

I don't think he will washout unless they force him into the starting spot and he shows in preseason he isn't ready. Pretty sure he isn't yet.

At S we had 2 just visit, Demps was a big loss. Same with AJ...Johnson needs to be able to stay healthy.

OLB, Simion leaving hurts but seeing Clowney can drop if he has to (pray he doesn't he isn't a good cover guy) we should be OK.

ILB will be better with the rookie and Sio
                JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Watson has a year to learn and then I hope so. In a video comparison to QBs of the 2000's he was compared to some good ones and to...VY. As it said he is similar in how he scrambles and isn't the most accurate but can get yards with his feet. The final part got me, it said:

"Watson has similar traits to Young, but is more mature. Time will tell if he can complete the change from college to the NFL or be a washout"

I don't think he will washout unless they force him into the starting spot and he shows in preseason he isn't ready. Pretty sure he isn't yet.

At S we had 2 just visit, Demps was a big loss. Same with AJ...Johnson needs to be able to stay healthy.

OLB, Simion leaving hurts but seeing Clowney can drop if he has to (pray he doesn't he isn't a good cover guy) we should be OK.

ILB will be better with the rookie and Sio
                  They said the same thing about Wentz..that he wasn't ready and Goff was more "pro ready". Wentz started immediately and did outstanding for Philly. He took his lumps that all rookies do but turned in a great season overall. Goff sat half the season and turned out pitiful last year. So I don't think sitting really benefits as much as people say it does. I think getting out there and getting in the game is the best way to go. Watson is smart. He has another whole month to study and digest the playbook. He'll have a good knowledge of it by the time we're ready to rock and roll. Yes there will be up and down times but he'll be fine. Demps was an average player and think there's a lot better out there but we have yet to officially bring anyone in. Jarrett and Williams are two good options. As far as Clowney, I would leave him on the DL. He didn't do well at all at OLB when we tried him out there and I think moving him back there is a mistake. I agree with ILB.

Comment

Can you provide a link? I can't find the video anywhere.
                    sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

Watson... was compared to...VY. As it said he is similar in how he scrambles and isn't the most accurate but can get yards with his feet. The final part got me, it said:

Vince is almost 6'5" and big. He throwing motion was a very low push from the shoulder. His college offense consisted of about 20 pass plays and relied on him to improvise. If you tried to fix his mechanics or get him to play within a scheme, he'd go turtle on you until you relented. He'd rather eat and play big shot than practice. And he was not the sharpest tool in the shed by any means.

Deshaun is not his size, his motion is different, played within the structure of a vastly more complex scheme, graduated in 3 years, is coachable, and he's pretty sharp.

Other than that, they're just alike.

Comment

Sorry for the formatting, obviously I'm not as good as the HTMB legend himself, @H204me posting articles all nice neat and pretty but here's another good write up on our mediocre offseason. Via ESPN

The Houston Texans ended their offseason program on June 14. Here's a look at how they fared:

Offseason grade: The Texans will enter training camp with more question marks than they had when they ended last season. They made a big move to trade quarterback Brock Osweiler, named Tom Savage their starter -- for now at least -- and drafted the player they hope is the quarterback of their future, Deshaun Watson. But while trading up to the No. 12 pick to draft Watson was an exciting move, he might not have a huge impact on the Texans in 2017 if Savage wins the quarterback competition during training camp. The Texans also lost quite a few pieces during free agency, including defensive starters cornerback A.J. Bouye, safety Quintin Demps and outside linebacker John Simon. Houston did not replace any of the three with free-agent signings and also failed to fix its offensive line. The unit struggled last season and does not have a set starter at right tackle after the Texans put Derek Newton on injured reserve. The Texans still return the majority of last season's No. 1 defense, but it remains to be seen whether they have made enough improvements to an offense that struggled so much in 2016. Grade: C

Move I liked: Drafting Watson was a huge risk, and like most draft prospects, the Texans won't know for a few years whether the move was worth the high price tag. But the Texans have not had a stellar quarterback in the franchise's 15 seasons, and general manager Rick Smith clearly wanted to change that. By swinging for the fences and drafting Watson, Houston hopes to end the trend of quarterback troubles, as it has used eight starting quarterbacks over the past three seasons. The Texans will start the season with a different starting quarterback for the fifth straight season.

Move I didn't like: Bill O'Brien wanted the Texans to re-sign Bouye to a long-term contract before last season because he knew what he would command on the open market if he had a good season in 2016. Bouye chose to bet on himself, instead taking a one-year deal so he could be a free agent after the season. Bouye had a breakout season and was rewarded with a five-year, $67.5 million contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars. While that would have been a lot of money to spend at cornerback given the Texans already had veterans Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson and 2015 first-round pick Kevin Johnson, Bouye was a valuable piece of the secondary in 2016 that finished the season ranked second in the league in passing yards. With over $34 million in cap space, the Texans could have brought Bouye back and still had money to spare.

Biggest question still to be answered in training camp: Can Watson beat out Savage at quarterback? At the end of the Texans' minicamp, O'Brien said Savage was the starter, but that he would have to continue to earn that job during training camp. Houston gave up a lot to trade up to draft Watson, and through the month-plus of offseason work he has participated in with the Texans, he has impressed the coaching staff. O'Brien said Watson still has a lot to learn, but he has made good progress in learning the offense and is getting better every day. It's still likely that Savage will open the season as the Texans' starter, but Watson will do his best to make it interesting during training camp.

Salary-cap space: $31,416,389 (source: Overthecap.com)

2017 draft picks: 1. QB Deshaun Watson, 2. ILB Zach Cunningham, 3. RB D'Onta Foreman, 4. OT Julién Davenport, 4. Carlos Watkins, 5. CB Treston Decoud, 7. C Kyle Fuller.
                        Undrafted rookie free agents signed: Eli Ankou, DT, UCLA; Erik Austell, C, Charleston Southern; Evan Baylis, TE, Oregon; Cory Carter, P, Texas Southern; Dylan Cole, ILB, Missouri State; Zach Conque, TE, Stephen F. Austin; T.J. Daniel, DE, Oregon; Matthew Godin, DE, Michigan; Deanté Gray, WR, Texas Christian; Justin Hardee, WR, Illinois; Rickey Hatley, NT, Missouri; Shaq Hill, WR, Eastern Washington; Bryce Jones, CB, Akron; Riley McCarron, WR, Iowa; Dare Ogunbowale, RB, Wisconsin; Dayon Pratt, OLB, East Carolina; Gimel President, OLB, Illinois; Daniel Ross; DE, Northeast Mississippi CC; Malik Smith, S, San Diego State; Chris Thompson, WR, Florida; Dee Virgin, CB, West Alabama; Avery Williams, ILB, Temple.

Unrestricted free agents signed: T Breno Giacomini, WR Dres Anderson, ILB Sio Moore.

Restricted free agents signed: None.

Players acquired via trade: None

Comment

It's not "have we improved" but have we separated ourselves from our division rivals. It's relative, see. Watching the NFL's Top One Hundred players (haven't seen the final ten yet) I noticed the Titans have three times as many players in that group than do the Texans. Are they drafting better?

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                            Vince is almost 6'5" and big. He throwing motion was a very low push from the shoulder. His college offense consisted of about 20 pass plays and relied on him to improvise. If you tried to fix his mechanics or get him to play within a scheme, he'd go turtle on you until you relented. He'd rather eat and play big shot than practice. And he was not the sharpest tool in the shed by any means.

Deshaun is not his size, his motion is different, played within the structure of a vastly more complex scheme, graduated in 3 years, is coachable, and he's pretty sharp.

Other than that, they're just alike.
                            I love that quote...
                            https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by dancingbear View Post
                              It's not "have we improved" but have we separated ourselves from our division rivals. It's relative, see. Watching the NFL's Top One Hundred players (haven't seen the final ten yet) I noticed the Titans have three times as many players in that group than do the Texans. Are they drafting better?
                              The titans are starting to look legit. They definitely have the parts but the coaching may not be getting the maximum benefit out of their players. But right now, I would say they are our competition, not the colts or jags. The jags have a decent group of guys too, but the titans have a complete team. I just hope Savage can stay on the field. I feel really good about his ability to be a winner. And our coaching staff is top notch. How else could we have won with the slew of bad qb's we've had in here. Crennel is proven to be as good as I always felt that he was. He just didn't have the back end when he first got here to make his defense work. But he does now. It's the offense that needs to pick it up this year. Which means that all those 6th and 7th round oline guys are going to have to really surprise us all o get the offense rolling. Time will tell whether we have been passed by the titans. I sure hope not.
                              Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                              TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by dancingbear View Post

No that doesn't mean anything whatsoever. I mean its the players vote. Its several players including JJ who shouldn't even be on that list. And of course it looks like they are drafting better. Drafting high in the drafts do has it's perks.

One narrative that really irks me is, these jokers talking up their 9-7 season when everyone and their mother should know we didn't play to win that last game. They were not a threat to steal the division and playoffs berth. Coach sat out a lot of players during that game.
                                sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

Working...
                                X