YOUR biggest worry going into game 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOUR biggest worry going into game 1

My 2 worries are at DB and QB. Watson has to learn how to play in the NFL and the play book. And fix his accuracy. Savage should start and play well...but must stay healthy.

DBs, we are thin and lost key players. We didn't address this issue in the draft the CB we took is supposed to be too slow and stiff to be an NFL CB. And scouting reports say he needs to be a S to make it. What is KJax playing? Johnson I pray can stay healthy for 16+. With luck we can land a DB someone cuts during TC that is a good player.

I'm most worried about DB. The DL and LBs should be solid and that helps the DBs. But with no real depth I don't know if we can stop some of the big plays that we stopped last season. With luck we can do it, maybe we also get lucky with a pickup as teams trim rosters.

Whats your main worry and why?

-------------
    Here is a very small breakdown of the positions and what could be a worry to some. Stolen from NFL.com, Walter Football and ESPN articles.

QB- Watson needs time to learn and see if he has it. Savage has to stay healthy. Weeden has to show what he can do.

RB- Should be good, barring the next item causing an issue.

OL- Still have spots that need filled. Can our guys coming back from injury do that.

TE/WR- We have speed and good hads. Can Fuller step up. Will Miller make a jump. Can Strong stay healthy and show his ability.

DL- With JJ back will Clowney still be as good. Do we have a true answer at NT. Will JJ be what he was.

LBs- Missing Simon may hurt. Can our Rookie step up.

DBs- Very thin

STs- Some of the rookies will help this area.
    JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Only issue I have for this team as of right now are these three things.

1. Is someone going to step up at RT and is Allen going to be in better playing shape?
    2. Is someone going to step up at OLB because if Mercilus goes down then we are hurting at that position.
    3. I someone going to step up at the S position (Drummond,Dillon,Moore) or someone who is currently not on the roster.

This can all change if someone steps up in training camp.

Comment

For me the only worry is Offensive Line play..

Do we keep continuity at Center or do we have Martin play the postion we drafted him to? How does the other settle in at Guard? Will we have a RT or a turnstile?

Improved OL play helps the passing and running game -- I think our Defense will continue to be very good, and I think Savage has already shown he can move this offense better than Brock was able to, which should translate into more wins.

Comment

LOL -- I actually just stalked Jeff Allen on his twitter hoping to find a picture of him at a bar b que or something looking roided out and ready to road grade some people.. Nothing concrete, but he does look to be in better shape.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post
          LOL -- I actually just stalked Jeff Allen on his twitter... Nothing concrete, but he does look to be in better shape.
          He needs to fix his food and his body, to me. And I haven't seen it, yet. I need a lot more tough guy from him than I saw last season. Time to commit to change, I wish he'd go work with LCB... pushing pickup trucks, ketogenic diet, extreme attention to detail. Would alter his career path, imo.
          If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Comment

My only concern is our key players staying healthy. If we can stay healthy watch the bleep out.
            sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

My main concern is the Smith will demand Watson start like he did with brock, even when it was apparent he was terrible. I feel like the same ship has set sail with Rick's qb competition comment after BOB said Tom is the starter comment. I think Savage is the best qb on the team and have said so for 2 years now. I still feel the same way.

Of course the oline is an issue. But Baller said it best. If we can stay healthy, we can overcome poor oline play and a weak safety.
              Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
              TexansCap.com

Comment

I have three main concerns right now.

1st. The right side of the Oline. I think Mancz will move over to Guard leaving a ? at Right Tackle and obviously depth on the line period...we cant even pencil in starters much less viable backups.

2nd. Safety...does ballentine actually stay healthy? Does someone step up? Huge gaping hole on the back end of our defense and we play a lot to teams that push the ball downfield this year that will test that position.

3rd. Qb play. As long as Savage has been in the system he should be able to run it flawlessly, but can he stay healthy? Can our Oline give him time and keep him upright (here is looking at you right side)? Can the Oline ease pressure off him by opening running lanes for Miller and Foreman to wreak havoc thru. How fast does Watson pick up the playbook? If he Savage goes down does Weeden step in or is Watson forced to jump in the fire???

Comment

I like how the title is "YOUR biggest worry" so you all throw out multiple lol.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post
                    I have three main concerns right now.

1st. The right side of the Oline. I think Mancz will move over to Guard leaving a ? at Right Tackle and obviously depth on the line period...we cant even pencil in starters much less viable backups.

2nd. Safety...does ballentine actually stay healthy? Does someone step up? Huge gaping hole on the back end of our defense and we play a lot to teams that push the ball downfield this year that will test that position.

3rd. Qb play. As long as Savage has been in the system he should be able to run it flawlessly, but can he stay healthy? Can our Oline give him time and keep him upright (here is looking at you right side)? Can the Oline ease pressure off him by opening running lanes for Miller and Foreman to wreak havoc thru. How fast does Watson pick up the playbook? If he Savage goes down does Weeden step in or is Watson forced to jump in the fire???

Taken from Fansided:
                    Reports of our 7th round center pick Kyle Fuller can play G. One of the reasons why he was drafted was it is very possible he is versatile enough for center and guard play.

Comment

My biggest concern is the offense.
                      Defense is good enough.
                      Our offense needs at least a 50% improvement from last year or it is going to be another frustrating season.
                      50% is a major jump so I don't know where it is going to come from unless we have a major improvement with the QB play.
                      That will be helped a bit by Foreman, but the oline definitely needs to hold it's own.

Comment

OL...RS must have felt like he had plenty of returning players to make up the difference since he basically ignored the position during FA and the draft.

If Brown is 100% from the start of the season and Su'a-Filo picks up where he left off last season...then the left side actually looks pretty healthy. Mancz, Martin and Fuller could play center. Personally, Mancz had a breakout season at center. He did this with RG almost being non-exsistant for the entire season and Su'a-Filo not coming around until late in the season. Mancz could very well be a stud center with better OG's on both sides. If the Texans continued Mancz's growth at center it could be for the best since Martin only had limited exposure to the position and OL calls due to his injury. It might be better for the Texans to have Martin come into camp ready to learn RG where his talent and smarts could make him a massive upgrade and the best possible move for the OL. Letting Allen compete for this position could bring him back to his playing abilities with KC. If this were to happen, it could certainly open other possibilities.

The Texans have 4 of the 5 OL spots in lock-down mode. Starters and depth will determine if RS is just sniffing the o-ring or trying to get his entire head through it. RT could have been addressed so easily during the FA period that's almost scary that not one person in the FO pushed for a move here. Of the OG / C on the roster...maybe Mancz could be asked to give RT a try and see how it goes. He's a hungry player and probably understands that there's a lot to gain financially from making it a positive move. I'd really like to see the team jump on Davenport from the get-go and see if they could prepare him to be a Day1 starter. He has all the physical attributes but would need cram sessions day and night on technique. Can someone get Bruce Mathews on the phone to get his feedback on coming in as a Special OL Assistant to help with this high priority transition project.

It would be nice if RS could put a little effort into getting a couple of veteran OT's on this roster before the season starts. The team would be in a world of hurt if Brown went down and a rookie was starting at RT. I'm not concerned with the interior since it is loaded with bodies that are pretty decent.

It makes me wonder if all the heads involved are aware that if this OL question gets answered, this offense has the potential to see several breakout seasons from their starters, which translates into the defense getting a break from time on the field to carrying the entire of burden of keeping the games close.
                        Last edited by Optimistic; 05-11-2017, 07:41 AM.

Comment

There are certainly a number of positions and areas to be concerned about, and they have been mentioned above so I won't repeat them. Also, we should realize that some of these will be addressed before the regular season kicks off.

My most serious concerns for the season going into week one are going to be the Colts, Titans and Jaguars. I believe that the era of largely dominating these teams as the foundation to building a relatively tame 9-7 record that is good enough to win the AFC South are over. I believe that it is going to be tougher to win the division for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post
                            OL...RS must have felt like he had plenty of returning players to make up the difference since he basically ignored the position during FA and the draft.

If Brown is 100% from the start of the season and Su'a-Filo picks up where he left off last season...then the left side actually looks pretty healthy. Mancz, Martin and Fuller could play center. Personally, Mancz had a breakout season at center. He did this with RG almost being non-exsistant for the entire season and Su'a-Filo not coming around until late in the season. Mancz could very well be a stud center with better OG's on both sides. If the Texans continued Mancz's growth at center it could be for the best since Martin only had limited exposure to the position and OL calls due to his injury. It might be better for the Texans to have Martin come into camp ready to learn RG where his talent and smarts could make him a massive upgrade and the best possible move for the OL. Letting Allen compete for this position could bring him back to his playing abilities with KC. If this were to happen, it could certainly open other possibilities.

The Texans have 4 of the 5 OL spots in lock-down mode. Starters and depth will determine if RS is just sniffing the o-ring or trying to get his entire head through it. RT could have been addressed so easily during the FA period that's almost scary that not one person in the FO pushed for a move here. Of the OG / C on the roster...maybe Mancz could be asked to give RT a try and see how it goes. He's a hungry player and probably understands that there's a lot to gain financially from making it a positive move. I'd really like to see the team jump on Davenport from the get-go and see if they could prepare him to be a Day1 starter. He has all the physical attributes but would need cram sessions day and night on technique. Can someone get Bruce Mathews on the phone to get his feedback on coming in as a Special OL Assistant to help with this high priority transition project.

It would be nice if RS could put a little effort into getting a couple of veteran OT's on this roster before the season starts. The team would be in a world of hurt if Brown went down and a rookie was starting at RT. I'm not concerned with the interior since it is loaded with bodies that are pretty decent.

It makes me wonder if all the heads involved are aware that if this OL question gets answered, this offense has the potential to see several breakout seasons from their starters, which translates into the defense getting a break from time on the field to carrying the entire of burden of keeping the games close.
                            OL is a worry. Brown is getting older and needs to move inside for the rest of his career. Meaning we have 3 spots that on paper are good.

And I would not count out DQ just yet. Kid looked great till the cancer diagnosis. And saw a recent video (Instagram or Twitter) of him working out. He was in decent shape it looked when he rang the bell at the hospital. Guess he is up 10-15lbs now and it looks like muscle. You tend to gain faster after an illness and when you are 30 or younger. At 30-ish testosterone levels start dropping. In your 20's just food and weights will make you grow. Biggest question on DQ is can he get into football shape (stamina wise) and if so, how fast. Many chemo drugs damage the lungs. That's why Lance Armstrong went to the hospital he did. The doctor told him if he survived the treatment would not have an affect on his lung tissue. Yes he cheated, all cyclists do, but he did have cancer and it was treated with no damage to tissue or lungs.

Comment

Our O-line is a pile of of excrement and Savage gets maimed for life in the middle of the 3rd quarter.
                              THE Anti troll

Comment

Working...
                              X