X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texans 3-day Rookie Minicamp, May 12-14

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
    Texans 2017 Offseason Schedule

This month, the Texans begin their fourth offseason workout program under head coach Bill O’Brien. Players return to NRG Stadium on April 17 for the start of the nine-week voluntary offseason program.

Here are other important dates on the 2017 offseason schedule:

May 12-14 Three-day rookie minicamp

Phase One consists of the first two weeks of the program with activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only.

Phase Two consists of the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills as well as team practice conducted on a "separates" basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.
    John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
    Texans take the field for the first time today at their rookie minicamp. All eyes will be on QB Deshaun Watson, of course.

patrick @PatDStat
    #Texans have all their draft picks signed except D’Onta Foreman. 3rd round picks usually take the longest to sign.

Round 1, Pick 12 (via trade with Cleveland Browns):Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Round 2, Pick 25 (No. 57): Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt

Round 3, Pick 25 (No. 89): D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas

Round 4, Pick 24 (No. 130): Julién Davenport, OT, Bucknell

Round 4, Pick 36 (No. 142): Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson

Round 5, Pick 25 (No. 169): Treston Decoud, S, Oregon State

Round 7, Pick 25 (No. 243): Kyle Fuller, C, Baylor

Supposed UDFAs
    Reported signings...

Dylan Cole, LB, Missouri State
    Eli Ankou, DT, UCLA
    Malik Smith, CB, San Diego State
    Justin Hardee, WR, Illinois

Avery Williams, LB, Temple
    Dimitiric Camiel,OT, Indiana
    Deante Gray, WR. TCU
    Dayon Pratt, LB, East Carolina

Matt Godin, DL, Michigan

Riley McCarron, WR, Iowa
    Zach Conque, TE(QB), SFA

Shaq Hill, WR, E. Washington
    T.J. Mutcherson, DB, UCF
    Jake Simonich, OL, Utah State
    T.J. Daniel, DE, Oregon

Daniel Ross, DL, N.E. Mississippi
    Dee Virgin, DB, West Alabama
    Rickey Hatley, DE, Missouri
    Evan Baylis, TE, Oregon

Gimel President, OLB, Illinois
    Malik Foreman, CB, Tennessee

Tryouts

Joe "JoJo" Mathis, OLB, Washington+
    Dylan Haines, S, Texas+
    LaTroy Lewis, OLB, Tennessee+
    Dreon Johnson, FB, Towson+

Craig Fada, LB, Ohio State+
    Patrick Towles, QB, Boston College+
    Richie Sampson, S, Coastal Carolina+
    Kareem Are, OG, Florida State+

Chris Thompson, WR, Florida +
    Dominique Reed, WR, Arkansas+
    Cameron Judge, LB, UCLA+
    David Talley, LB, Grand Valley State+

Tyquwan Glass, CB, Fresno State+
    Kenny Iloka, S, TCU+
    John Gibson, CB, Missouri+
    Joseph Scelfo OL NC State+

Christian Kuntz, LS, Duquesne
    Dare Ogunbowale, RB, Wisconsin
    BJ Singleton, DT, Houston
    Adam Jones, CB, North Western State

Bryce Jones, CB, Akron
    Last edited by H2O4me; 1 week ago.
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

any reason why 3rd picks take the longest?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post
      any reason why 3rd picks take the longest?
      Negotiating guarantees, I think. There's more wiggle room in those slots.
      In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

A Closer Look at the Houston Texans UDFAs that Could Make Their Mark

PATRICK STARR/SOTT
        A closer look at the Houston Texans UDFAs that could make some noise heading into rookie mini-camp.

As has been shown in the past, the Houston Texans do not care on how a player makes it on their roster and the team is pretty good about taking the players who really put it together during the off-season into training camp. With the incoming group, this appears to be much like other rookie groups in which the team has invested before: a group that has players who have been injured, missed their final season, had a college career with one year of good play but tested out solidly at their pro-days. The organization has been scouring every end of the earth, signing prospects from schools that most did not know that existed unless you attended that school.

Closer Look at the UDFAs: Offense | Defense

With 22 free agent rookies reporting to rookie mini-camp, the Texans will have some early roster players pushing for spots on the team.

Here is a seven-pack of early rookies to watch for the Texans.

James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

SHAQ HILL, WR, EASTERN WASHINGTON

Overshadowed by Cooper Kupp (L.A. Rams) and suffering through a knee injury which sidelined him for the 2015 season, Shaquille Hill came back strong in 2016. During his final season, Hill posted 77 receptions for 1,157 yards along with 17 touchdowns, showing that he can make defenders miss when he gets the ball in his hands. Hill has a good feel for the game and, coming from a pass heavy offense in college, he has a good feel for the type of routes he needs to run at the NFL level.

ELI ANKOU, DT, UCLA (PICTURED ABOVE)

The Texans like big bodies in the trenches and try to base their entire defense off of the defensive line. The team wants to continue finding depth to plug in the middle of the defense, players who can play the nose, plus a three and five technique in their respective defensive fronts. Eli Ankou is a strong run-stopping presence and with the value the Texans place on stopping the run, Ankou might have a little more juice than most realize for his 330+ lb. frame.

Ozark Sports Zone

DYLAN COLE, ILB, MISSOURI STATE

Production is the first word to think of when it comes to Dylan Cole during his time at Missouri State. Averaging 12.9 tackles a game in 2016, Cole was a tackling machine with 141 total tackles and 8 tackles for loss from the inside linebacker position. In 2015, Cole had 152 total tackles and 457 tackle in his four-year career. Cole has a good feel for the game and with the exit of Akeem Dent and with Max Bullough suspended for the first four games of the season, Cole has everything in front of him to make his mark on the Texans for this upcoming training camp.

DIMITRIC CAMIEL, OT, INDIANA

The big offensive tackle from Indiana has right tackle written all over him. He played three seasons with the Hoosiers before injury ended his final season. A back injury cut his season short in 2016 after starting at right tackle for two seasons and helping out at depth as a freshman. With the need around the NFL and in Houston at the right tackle position, Dimitric Camiel will get a good enough look to see if he can handle the NFL life. He might not be a roster player right away but with the premium for the position, the Texans will take a long look at the offensive tackle.

DEE VIRGIN, CB, WEST ALABAMA

The Texans continue to look for help at the cornerback position and the way the NFL plays the game now, teams just can’t have enough cornerbacks. Javaris “Dee” Virgin started his career at Tennessee-Chatanooga before transferring to West Alabama due to some off the field issues. For the Tigers, Dee Virgin picked up where he left off and had a solid senior season with 43 total tackles and 3 interceptions. More importantly, Virgin also has the ability to return kicks which gives him some added versatility. Virgin has started since his redshirt freshman year and has plenty of experience on the field. He is on the smaller side but is a physical player from the cornerback position.

Derik Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports

AVERY WILLIAMS, LB, TEMPLE

The one thing Avery Williams will do is strike an opponent on the football field and he does it with a purpose. The next thing that the Texans need to figure out is where exactly Williams fits position-wise when he arrives to Houston. Williams played linebacker for the Owls and was a force in the run game, showing he could handle the job after a position change from running back. A strong side linebacker with three years of starting experience, Williams has the mentality that all football coaches are looking for in their players

Joe Mathis / NICHOLSON/ USA TODAY Sports Images

JOE MATHIS, EDGE, WASHINGTON

One of the more intriguing prospects coming to Houston, but only in a tryout capacity, Washington edge player, “Jojo” Mathis was expected to be drafted. Considered an outside linebacker, Joe Mathis had a foot injury which knocked him out of the season after starting strong for the defense. A difference maker for the Huskies, their defensive pass rush went south when Mathis was done for the season after unsuccessful non-surgical options to correct his foot issue. Mathis now has to prove he can stay healthy, learn the system, and earn a contract within only three days to stick with the Texans. His pass rush ability is not the issue; his health is the concern.

Related Articles: University of Texans Proved Vital for D'Onta Foreman | Zach Cunningham Caught Off-Guard by the Texans | Carlos Watkins Joins Familiar Faces in Houston | Texans Draft Class Takes Shape | D'Onta Foreman Makes a Strong Case for the Texans | Deshaun Watson Ready for his Role | Julién Davenport is the Upside the Texans Have Been Looking For | The Odds Could not Slow Down Treston Decoud | Texans Like Kyle Fuller's Versatility | Texans Brian Gaine to Interview for the Bills General Manager Position | Max Bullough Suspended to Start the Season | Deshaun Watson Has a Chance to Play in 2017 | Rookie Mini-Camp to Start

Comment

We'll have media availability for the first two days, so that'll be your first look at the new guys.
          Media availability for rookie minicamp is tomorrow only, my bad.

Comment

Dang I was hoping to hear news on how today was going.

Comment

I have been on twitter all day waiting for updates. Bummer.

Comment

yeah that sucks...was really hoping to hear how the rookies looked and came into camp...we've had years were they have come in out of shape and raised serious ?'s....guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow...darn it.....

Comment

Shaq Hill at 5'10, 195, did 21 reps of 225. That's pretty impressive. The negatives there are that he has small hands and short arms.

The positive at his Pro Day was that he ran a 4.41 and had a 10 yard split of 1.51. I can't find the 10 yard split of John Ross but 1.51 would have tied for fastest at the NFL Combine. (With Obi the safety from UConn.)

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan15 View Post
                    Dang I was hoping to hear news on how today was going.
                    Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
                    I have been on twitter all day waiting for updates. Bummer.
                    Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post
                    yeah that sucks...was really hoping to hear how the rookies looked and came into camp...
                    All apologies, got some bad info and went with it before coming back and double checking.

In the meantime, some highlights...

Comment

Zach Cunningham #4, fighting through blocks in run support and good coverage on an extended play...

[IMG].https://thedeependmiami.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/cunningham-fight-through-blocks.gif[/IMG]
                      [IMG].https://thedeependmiami.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/cunningham-pd.gif?w=480&h=323[/IMG]
                      Last edited by H2O4me; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

I feel like in a regular defense with decent players Cunningham would be solid/good. In our defense, I feel like he could thrive.

Comment

D'Onta Foreman, at close to 250 lbs....

[IMG].https://giant.gfycat.com/UnrealisticWarlikeGrayfox.gif[/IMG]
                          [IMG].https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7779999/giphy-4.0.gif[/IMG]
                          [IMG].http://www.texasfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Foreman-TD.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Carlos Watkins #94...

[IMG].http://giant.gfycat.com/FrayedHandyDodobird.gif[/IMG]
                            [IMG].http://giant.gfycat.com/IdleWarmGlassfrog.gif[/IMG]

Comment

That throw by Watson was fire. Releases it just as his receiver was breaking open, and laid it up and over the linebacker, let's hope we see a lot of that.

I might not be a big fan of how Cunningham tackles, but watching him stack and shed blocks is a thing of beauty. I mean what he was playing around 230 225 last year and he just stalemated a 300lber, and made the tackle. He mugged that reciever down the field though lol

Foreman has Jets, and a nice jump cut. but how many 250lb backs have you seen pull away from CBs and safeties? hell not many backs 30lbs lighter can do that.

The Watkins pick has me super pumped. I think our d line was pretty well set before him even with losing Wolford, but the addition of this kid, just gives our inside another level.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X