Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irritating how people write there were two first round picks given up for Watson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irritating how people write there were two first round picks given up for Watson

I find it ridiculous how writers (or talk radio) continue to spout this notion that the Texans gave up 2 first round draft selections in order to get Watson. It's as if these morons are oblivious to the fact that part of the deal was for Houston to move UP and get a higher first round selection in the 2017 draft. We know they are fully aware of this, but you seldom, if ever see them state it that way. It's asinine and very misleading journalism.

Since I'm ranting, I also get irritated when I hear that a certain team has a schedule based on a bad record the previous year. In this case, I believe many of those saying that are oblivious to the fact that a teams record has a bearing in only 2 games on the following year's schedule. A whole frickn' 2 games!! The other 14 games are based on 6 in your own division, 4 from a division in your conference (this rotates) and 4 from a division in the other conference (this also rotates).

It is what it is... I think they're just trying to highlight that we could have had two 1st round players and instead made the gamble to surrender rights to the second player so we could take Watson.

Comment

I agree 100%. They swapped 1st round picks this year and gave up 2018. That's completely different than giving up 2 firsts.

Comment

I've also read that several reporters are including next year's second and 25 million from the osweiler deal in that deal. So, in essence they are saying we gave up two firsts, a second and 25 million for Watson.

More proof that Idiocracy was actually a prophetic movie.

Comment

The Texans are considered a joke by most of the sports-media and in their minds we are bookmarks. I actually understand that point of view. We are one of those teams that just doesn't shine and that is especially true if we are playing on national TV. Bring on the season and lets see how these over priced players play. We will be better as a team.

Comment

I actually find it idiotic to extend an injured Schaub then much later spend the money and a first and second to "fix" the QB position when this GM should have been regularly drafting QB's over his 11 year span like above average GM's and teams seem somehow to do.

Comment

I agree, that is some lazy and idiotic journalism. What's crazy is some fans will take that nonsense to the bank like it's golden.
              sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post
                It is what it is... I think they're just trying to highlight that we could have had two 1st round players and instead made the gamble to surrender rights to the second player so we could take Watson.
                If RS had been doing his job as Dbear points out in his comment we wouldnt have had QB issues since Schaub's meltdown !! I hit the Like button on ya Dbear ...

Comment

How can he do his job when the owner gives the new coach power to bring in the quarterbacks of his choice. Not only that the owner himself said we didn't need a bonified, big time QB to win Championship. Therefore, that position wasn't highly sorted after. Thanks to the owner.

People are so quick to but blame on one individual, instead of telling the entire story.

I remember when I first joined this forum. A lot of the same people placing blame on Rick, said he was just a puppet. And that he really didn't have a say. (Paraphrasing of course)

Rick did do his job. He brought in Brock, someone they wanted since day one. Unfortunately it didn't pan out.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
                    How can he do his job when the owner gives the new coach power to bring in the quarterbacks of his choice. Not only that the owner himself said we didn't need a bonified, big time QB to win Championship. Therefore, that position wasn't highly sorted after. Thanks to the owner.

People are so quick to but blame on one individual, instead of telling the entire story.

I remember when I first joined this forum. A lot of the same people placing blame on Rick, said he was just a puppet. And that he really didn't have a say. (Paraphrasing of course)

Rick did do his job. He brought in Brock, someone they wanted since day one. Unfortunately it didn't pan out.
                    11 yrs. Baller and that idiot from last season is what you refer back to brother ? Come on it should have never come to that GM's have to anticipate and you cant put it on OB bringing in guys familiar with his System . We were building those were bridge QB's . Savage was OBs QB last season RS and McNair panicked & went and got the Dumpster Fire from Denver . I wont even write his name or initials down . RS should have had 2nd and 3rd round developmental QBs here when OB got here . Some of that may be on Kubiak as well who knows ? He loved his Matty Schaub so much it almost killed him .

Comment

Not once in my stance said anything remotely about blaming O'Brien for bringing in the quarterbacks of his choice Methos. I said blame the owner for allowing him the power to do that. You can not blame Rick Smith for that decision. Those bridge type quarterbacks should be given the chance to play another season instead of all this shuffling in and out all these quarterbacks. Fitzpatrick should've played one more season here.

They had Yates and Keenum to develop when Kubiak was here. They drafted Savage in O'Brien regime to develop.

sigpic

Comment

Extending Shaub after his injury may have been questionable, but certainly not idiotic.

Signing Brock was an attempt to solve a problem with CASH instead of valuable draft currency. It failed. But making the attempt was not an idiotic move.

Trading Brock and a second (and swapping a Texan 6th for a Cleveland 4th) for cap space was a good move. It's almost universally considered such to the point of some teams questioning it's legitimacy.

Trading up 13 spots in the first round is expensive and it cost the 2018 first. Most would believe that will wind up being a middle to late round pick. The "charts" indicate this move is worth 480 points (1200 - 720). The value of the 10th pick of the second round is the baseline and we paid a future first which is usually discounted. Whether it was too high or too low is arguable, but certainly not idiotic.

These are independent moves which are connected only by the pursuit of a franchise QB. They are not the cost of Watson, though arguing the last has merit.
                        https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post

You know I don't like McNair, Baller. But the entire story may include him having to bring in Brock because the GM historically failed to draft and evaluate players at the most important position on the team. THAT IS WHAT GOOD GM'S DO. We've wasted so many 2-5 picks that one has to believe we could have recovered a gem. Also don't forget a good #2 always has great trade value. I remember Casserly saying you can never have enough QB's. He missed on choices but he never had 11 years to get it right. It's a failure on his part. Period. Hopefully Watson will right the ship. I like everything I read about him but I'm not getting excited ever with this organization until I see results.

Comment

Here are some facts about QB here, past and present.

1- OB brought in guys who knew the system when he 1st arrived in and effort to "fast forward" the QB learning curve.

2- OB wanted to draft a QB his 1st season to develop in the top 3 rounds. He liked Jimmy G as a 2nd round pick and rumors that he was interested in Bridgewater have been around. Smith drafted Clowney (who may or maynot have been a player OB wanted). Meaning he had 3 options and he has mentioned this before. A) Get Teddy (if the rumors are true) or get Jimmy? Jimmy is not rumor OB really liked him. But, as NE always has done they made an unexpected move and grabbed Jimmy. B) Savage was another QB that OB liked, but he needed work. OB felt like he was going to be good after a season or 2 of work with NFL coaches. Minus getting hurt, he knows the system and has come a long way. But, getting Savage and not Jimmy (much more talent and could have started sooner) he had to settle for QBs again who knew the system till Savage was ready. C) Have the FO try to trade for a starter who knew the system...the cost was way too high for that.

3- McNair and Smith pulled the trigger on Brock and believe it or not OB was not involved with the deal. It has been mentioned by McNair now. So, it isn't a rumor or trying to write an article by some hack. McClain also has said he is aware OB wasn't involved in signing Brock, he even talked about it on 610 AM after Brock was traded to the Browns. OB planned to play Savage with Weeden as the backup and got handed a QB that wasn't a system fit for starters. Watch NE, they have the same basic system we do. Brock was decent at best in Denver running Gary's ZBS. The reason for this is (we saw it here when Gary was HC) most passes are short or dumpoffs and screens. Plus he uses the TEs alot on short routes. Once he has the D thinking run or screen/ dumpoff he will then take some chances at longer passes. You saw this with AJ, he had great numbers but 1/2 his yards came from YAC. Hence the low TD count from AJ but the high TD count from the RBs and TEs. Brock was not the type QB to run the system that OB uses and it showed in game 3. Games 1&2 they went deep to Dhop and Fuller. However, in game 3 was when Ds started playing a S or 2 deep to prevent the longer passes. Which is why Dhops numbers were down and the TEs improved. With no real deep opinions he had to throw to guys short. Showing he wasn't great at it via the TD/INT count and his benching.

4- Till this draft Smith has not stuck out his neck for a QB. He had never drafted one higher than the 3rd or 4th rounds. I think Yates may have been the highest pick of a QB. He was a 3rd I think. That's 11 drafts and he never was willing to risk his job for a top QB. Be it McNair or something else, this year he had to get one. It may save his job too. Even if Watson is a bust, it looks to the McNair family that he is trying.

5- Smith answered the question about Romo without answering the question when asked recently. He was asked how interested he had been in Romo. He replied with (this quote is from the interview you can find on the Texans site and NFL.com for starters)

"The good thing about that question is I don't have to answer it."

To me and probably multiple other members that means 1 thing. He wanted Romo and would not have drafted a QB till the typical round 3-4 had he gotten him. Romo changed the complexion of the draft to pick a QB asap. Was it Mahomes, Watson or Mitch that was the main target...nobody knows. The company line is Watson was the guy. After the 2 trades for Mitch (2nd pick) and Mahomes (10th?) he was not going to trade up. Had the draft went as predicted Mitch would probably have been gone by 25 (some mocks show he fell to 25 oddly) and the Browns indicated Watson was going to be the 12th pick. He panicked and traded up to get the last QB of the top 3. Kizer was said to be a possible pick for us in the 2nd seeing he needs more work than the others. So we got 1 of the top 3 QBs seeing Romo didn't come here.

If I had to guess, seeing they fit OBs "mold" better than Watson for QB. Had we inked Romo our QB would have been addressed in the 2nd or 3rd with Webb or Peterman. Let Romo play 1-2 seasons with Savage and probably Weeden as QB 2&3 and develop Webb or Peterman. But he couldn't do that after Romo went to the press box and 2 of the top 3 QB options where traded up for.

All of this is fact, as you notice I didn't say I know who was the target for QB. Any of the top 3 would do. I also have a good source who works for the Texans who mentioned the situation with Romo and then a 2nd or 3rd round QB. The other things in this post have been addressed by McNair, McClain and others. But I trust McNair and McClain, if both say it...no chance it's fake.

It also explains the Hoyer/Mallett/Fitz/Case... list of QBs we have had. Not by choice per say, but rather to hope they could jump start the QB spot due to system knowledge.
                            JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Working...
                            X