Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Breno Giacomini, RT

Patrick Creighton @PCreighton1
    Giacomini likely favorite to start for #Texans at RT if signed. Had back surgery for herniated disc in Jan. Expected ready for training camp

Sources tell me #Texans are interested in former #Seahawks and #Jets RT Breno Giacomini. Texans OL Coach Mike Devlin coached him in NY 2014

Texans sign veteran tackle Breno Giacomini

By Aaron Wilson
    The Texans added some reinforcements for their offensive line Tuesday, signing veteran offensive tackle Breno Giacomini.

Giacomini, 31, is a former New York Jets starter who played for Texans offensive line coach Mike Devlin in New York.

Giacomini could wind up competing for the starting job at right tackle, with former starter Derek Newton out for the entire season after tearing both patellar tendons last season. Chris Clark struggled in a starting role last season when Newton got hurt.

A former Green Bay Packers fifth-round draft pick from Louisville, Giacomini was cut by the Jets in February.

He started every game in 2014 and 2015, but a back injury last season forced him to be placed on the physically unable to perform list. He was placed on the active roster in October, but hurt his back again in December and was placed on injured reserve after starting five games.

The 6-7, 318-ppunder has started 70 of 78 career games played in nine NFL seasons. Giacomini has a previous stint with the Seattle Seahawks, starting for them before joining the Jets as a free agent. He started for the Seahawks in their Super Bowl XLVIII victory over the Denver Broncos.
    Last edited by H2O4me; 05-16-2017, 04:10 PM.
    Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Breno Giacomini will have back surgery; hopes to return to Jets in 2017

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    January 03, 2017
    FLORHAM PARK -- This season didn't go as Breno Giacomini had hoped. A back injury in minicamp sidelined him throughout the summer and into the regular season. When he returned to the Jets, he re-injured his back and the team shut him down for the year.

Now, the right tackle is hoping to get everything right and return better than ever next year. Giacomini will have surgery to shave down a herniated disc in his lower back. It will be a roughly four-month recovery.

"We think this is the best thing to help my career moving forward," said Giacomini, who hopes to be ready for training camp. "The success rate is very high. The only thing is if you rush back, you have a chance of re-herniating it.

"I suspect that this will be my best season ... I'll be back."

The question with Giacomini is if the feeling is mutual. He may want a return to the Jets, but it could be in the team's best interest to go a separate way. The odds are stacked against the lineman.

Giacomini will turn 32 next year, has struggled when on the field these last two years, and could be a cap casualty. If the Jets release Giacomini, they would free $4.5 million in available space.

Still, Giacomini says he's confident he'll return to form.

"It has just been a frustrating year," Giacomini said. "I'm glad 2016 is over. I really am. Hopefully I'll come back stronger, you know. I have to get back to work. If anybody needs practice, it's me.

"I can't go out like this. I'm not going to go out like this. I'll get it cleaned up and get back to work. That's all I can do."
    Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
      Breno Giacomini will have back surgery; hopes to return to Jets in 2017

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
      January 03, 2017
      This sounds eerily like a certain defensive player who tried that last season and who managed 3 games before being lost for the season.
      https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

patrick @PatDStat
        #Texans sign free agent RT Breno Giacomini.
        Bingo.

Comment

I didn't even see that you had posted this. Well done.

Can't complain on the signing. If he has his best season yet, our OL looks solid. If he doesn't, at least he can help coach the young guys.

Comment

Went looking for some info on this guy and found an article speculating his return to seattle..

Could Seahawks pursue former RT Breno Giacomini

When Breno Giacomini started 33 games for the Seattle Seahawks from 2011 to 2013, he was thought of as perhaps the offensive line's weakest link and eminently replaceable.

That hasn't turned out to be the case.

Giacomini, despite his limitations, has physicality and nastiness in spades.
            Last edited by SteelBluCurtain; 05-16-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

68breno NRG Stadium
              Feeling very Thankful for the opportunity that is in front of me. Feels great to be back in a locker room. I've heard nothing but great things about this @houstontexans organization and community. I'm very excited to get back to work. Need to get better everyday. I'm truly blessed !

Now I'm interested to hear what our new spine surgeon member latinfridley has to say about his back.

Comment

68breno NRG Stadium

Now I'm interested to hear what our new spine surgeon member latinfridley has to say about his back.
                This team is in great need of a BACK WHISPERER!
                https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

If this man start, savage will be maimed in games 3-4. Dead in in 5th game.
                  THE Anti troll

Comment

so we sat on all this cash for guacamole eh? I love the Texans.............. I see the plans texans. genius. Old man brown at LT, dinosaur Guacamole at RT.............................**** what a plan. Einstien could not have done any better.
                    THE Anti troll

Comment

68breno NRG Stadium

Just like JJ, Breno has a higher chance of needing future back surgery. In general, large people have a higher risk of disc degeneration and disc herniation due to their increased upper body weight putting additional stress on the lumbar spine. Oline and Dline players not only have to deal with their own weight but the weight of other linemen as well. The position is a set up for problems not only during their career but after. Risk can be potentially minimized by strengthening the paraspinal and abdominal musculature, losing weight, etc.
                      In general the indications for a lumbar microdiscectomy are severe shooting pain down a leg, with or without numbness/weakness in the same leg. Pain usually gets better right after surgery, while numbness/weakness improvement are variable. The longer they have symptoms, the more difficult it is to improve with surgery.
                      Crossing my fingers for both Breno and JJ.

Comment

As expected for a 32 year old free agent OT, Giacomini has had a laundry list of injuries. His back surgery was a lumbar microdiscectomy(see JJ Watt). He's been sidelined with a right elbow issue (UCL?) and had surgery to repair ligament/cartilage in his knee and was limited with a shoulder issue. According to Doc.

If if you buy into PFF grades -- I don't -- he was rated in the 40s (on a 0-100 scale) over the past 2 years.

Frankly, I would have addressed RT in a more significant way.

Comment

Closer Look: What Does Breno Giacomini Mean for the Houston Texans?

StateoftheTexans
                          It took the Houston Texans some time to sign their first free agent from outside of the organization, but over two months after the opening of free agency, the Texans inked right tackle Breno Giacomini to a deal. Giacomini joins his former coach from the New York Jets, Mike Devlin, in Houston and is the second offensive lineman from the Jets that Devlin has had a hand in bringing to the team. Oday Aboushi was also coached Devlin at the Jets and subsequently claimed by the Texans, and now Giacomini arrives.

With Giacomini’s arrival, what does it mean for the 2017 season?

1. Chris Clark and Giacomini will slug it out in training camp for the starting right tackle position. The Texans way is to create competition and that is exactly how it is setting up for OTAs to training camp. Clark has his issues, but then he put together his best game of the 2016 season by holding Khalil Mack to a game where he was nonexistent in the wild card round of the playoffs, but there has to he a middle ground for Clark. It is possible that the shoulder he had repaired during the off-season could have been a reason for his struggles. As for Giacomini, he missed majority of the 2016 season with a herniated disc in his back, limiting him to only five games. The recovery from his back surgery took four months, putting him on track to be fully cleared when the Texans take the field for OTAs.

2. Giacomini has to show he can come back from his back injury and has mentioned to New York media that the reason he went for the surgery late last season was to give himself enough time to get ready for the upcoming season. He intended to go back to the Jets but was a cap casualty. With the out of control offensive line market, the Texans waited for the dust to settle before bringing him in. However, given that it is now mid-May and Giacomini is still available is a reason to temper expectations for the time being.

3. The Texans usually take four offensive tackles to the 53-man roster and that means Duane Brown, Chris Clark and Julién Davenport appear to be in good position to be on the roster, while Giacomini will have to hit the ground running in the spring and catch up to what the Texans are doing. Sights fall on Kendall Lamm to step up his game and make a jump entering year three but Giacomini has to show that he can handle what the Texans are giving him offensively. The Texans have made a living under Bill O’Brien bringing in seasoned veterans only to cut them loose when rosters are set during training camp.

4. More than anything, this a firm reminder of how important Derek Newton was to the Texans offense and, despite his issues, was one of the better right tackles in the league. The loss of Newton also means that the Texans will remain vigilant in upcoming drafts and free agency to find a stronger option at right tackle for the long haul to hopefully pair with Davenport for the future.

Comment

HOUSTON, TX - NOVEMBER 22: J.J. Watt #99 of the Houston Texans rushes the quarterback and is blocked by
                            Breno Giacomini #68 of the New York Jets at NRG Stadium on November 22, 2015 in Houston, Texas.
                            The Texans defeated the Jets 24-17. (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

Texans' lineman Breno Giacomini happy to reunite with Mike Devlin

By Aaron Wilson
                            When veteran offensive lineman Breno Giacomini joined the New York Jets in 2014 via a $14 million free agent contract, he quickly formed a strong bond with offensive line coach Mike Devlin.

One year later, though, Devlin joined the Texans' coaching staff to work for coach Bill O'Brien. Now, Giacomini has been reunited with Devlin with the Texans where he'll compete for the starting right tackle job.

"It's pretty cool," Giacomini said. "I know what he expects of us, not just me, but the whole line room. It's hard work. You got to study your butt off and go to work every single day."

Giacomini was cut by the Jets in February after struggling with his health last season.

He started every game in 2014 and 2015, but a back injury last season forced him to be placed on the physically unable to perform list. He was placed on the active roster in October, but hurt his back again in December and was placed on injured reserve after starting five games.

So far with the Texans, the 31-year-old hasn't had any setbacks during organized team activities that started last week. He's working to get into optimal shape and prevent any further issues with his back.

"I'm feeling good," Giacomini siad. "I've got to get better obviously. I'm in the training room every day. It's all about getting back healthy and learning the system."

The 6-7, 318-ppunder has started 70 of 78 career games played in nine NFL seasons. Giacomini has a previous stint with the Seattle Seahawks, starting for them before joining the Jets as a free agent. He started for the Seahawks in their Super Bowl XLVIII victory over the Denver Broncos.

Giacomini competed against Texans star defensive end J.J. Watt two seasons ago, struggling to protect quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in a 2015 loss at NRG Stadium.

Giacomini now measures his progress by how he fares in practice against the three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

"The whole defense is really good, but obviously most of my reps are against J.J.," Giacomini said. "For a tackle it doesn't get any better than that. You're going against the best every day."

Watt's line: 2 sacks, 6 QB hits, 3 QB hurries, 5 TFL.

And from the looks of the picture above I think he drew some penalties, as well.

Comment

HOUSTON, TX - NOVEMBER 22: J.J. Watt #99 of the Houston Texans rushes the quarterback and is blocked by
                              Breno Giacomini #68 of the New York Jets at NRG Stadium on November 22, 2015 in Houston, Texas.
                              The Texans defeated the Jets 24-17. (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

Texans' lineman Breno Giacomini happy to reunite with Mike Devlin

By Aaron Wilson

Watt's line: 2 sacks, 6 QB hits, 3 QB hurries, 5 TFL.

And from the looks of the picture above I think he drew some penalties, as well.
                              Oh...they must have signed him to build JJ's post injury confidence in TC.

Comment

Working...
                              X