Let's talk offense.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk offense.

Last season, the offense was the ball and chain of this team. Defense was fine and ST wasn't particularly inspiring.
    Texans did two things I felt they had to do to give the O some pop - they drafted a QB and also a young gun back.
    RT could have been addressed as well but I won't grumble about ZC at 57!
    I think we will see a lot of pounding the rock this year and the running game should be ranked very high. Miller should be a lot more dangerous with fresher legs and should stay fresher throughout the season. Foreman will be the hammer with some surprise receptions along the way.
    Sure, we have no real clear picture at RT, even with Giacomini on the team, as he might yet get hurt again but we do have several young guns to coach up. I think Mancz will retain his C position and Martin will compete for the RT job.
    I also see the receiving corp being very competitive with another season under their belts.
    I'll open it up.
    Last edited by aussiedave; 05-17-2017, 05:34 PM.

I've been waiting so long for Savage to take the reins I am pretty excited to see him in action from game 1. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking that Smith will demand that Watson play much like he did with Brock.
    Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
    TexansCap.com

Comment

I am not confident about the offense not one bit. That skit display we witnessed last season was unreal. No creativity whatsoever especially in the red zone. We are starting another mediocrity at best quarterback. Bill O'Brien calling the plays again which is meh. Health to the offensive line will be crucial.
      sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
        I am not confident about the offense not one bit. That skit display we witnessed last season was unreal. No creativity whatsoever especially in the red zone. We are starting another mediocrity at best quarterback. Bill O'Brien calling the plays again which is meh. Health to the offensive line will be crucial.
        I agree. The creativity is as bad as Kubiak days wher ethe only time we fooled anyone it was a naked bootleg. I was watching the reshowing of Seattle vs Denver week 3 last year , last night and the Seahawks got the ball and went 3 and out. Then Ball fumbled on Denvers first play around the 30. Did Seattle run Lynch up the middle? Heck no they did a fake reverse handoff throw back to Russel Wilson to get down to the 5. First play after the fumble. I mean, That's creative play calling right there. If it hadn't been for denvers safety, the only guy who wasn't fooled, it would have been an easy TD.
        Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
        TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post

I agree. The creativity is as bad as Kubiak days wher ethe only time we fooled anyone it was a naked bootleg. I was watching the reshowing of Seattle vs Denver week 3 last year , last night and the Seahawks got the ball and went 3 and out. Then Ball fumbled on Denvers first play around the 30. Did Seattle run Lynch up the middle? Heck no they did a fake reverse handoff throw back to Russel Wilson to get down to the 5. First play after the fumble. I mean, That's creative play calling right there. If it hadn't been for denvers safety, the only guy who wasn't fooled, it would have been an easy TD.
          I've seen a lot of creativity from a lot of teams, especially in the red zone. So i would always scratch my head wondering why can't the Texans do that. We were so basic and predictable. The only creative play was that wide receivers screen to Fuller in week 2.
          sigpic

Comment

Wasn't O'Brien the offensive co-ordinator at Patriots?
            It would be interesting to watch video of their plays near the line to see what O'Brien might be aiming for if he gets the QB capable of the required throws.

Comment

The line is a big part of it but the QB can help the line out big time by getting rid of the ball faster - enter Watson. Osweiler and Savage are both a bit slow at getting rid of it.
              Two fresh and dangerous backs will also add some firepower.
              I think the offense will be better and likely improve from week to week - barring key injuries.
              Fido will likely be our big bodied receiver near the line.

Comment

Can't wait for Savage either!

The reason why the O was so bad can be summarized in a word;
                Brock

He didn't know the system well and in general he is just not that good. That's why Fitz and Hoyer (to name 2) played better at QB.

The OL is still the biggest question, secondary being second. No good OL play will mean QB play won't be as good as it can be. The running game will not have the impact it should with Foreman and Miller. And let's not talk about injuries at QB, due to being hit a ton.

Want to see what OB can do with a good QB and decent to good OL play? Watch NE when he was the OC. They still run the same system, pretty much same as ours. But, until the OL protection is good, you can be sure we won't see that type of play
                JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post
                  Last season, the offense was the ball and chain of this team. Defense was fine and ST wasn't particularly inspiring.
                  Texans did two things I felt they had to do to give the O some pop - they drafted a QB and also a young gun back.
                  RT could have been addressed as well but I won't grumble about ZC at 57!
                  I think we will see a lot of pounding the rock this year and the running game should be ranked very high. Miller should be a lot more dangerous with fresher legs and should stay fresher throughout the season. Foreman will be the hammer with some surprise receptions along the way.
                  Sure, we have no real clear picture at RT, even with Giacomini on the team, as he might yet get hurt again but we do have several young guns to coach up. I think Mancz will retain his C position and Martin will compete for the RT job.
                  I also see the receiving corp being very competitive with another season under their belts.
                  I'll open it up.

Why would martim even be considered as a tackle? We drafted him to play on the interior of the o line, center to be exact... I don't get it

Comment

Originally posted by Malex Wilson IV View Post

Why would martim even be considered as a tackle? We drafted him to play on the interior of the o line, center to be exact... I don't get it
                    Mancz came in because Martin was hurt and did a fantastic job.
                    Just my opinion that Martin should be tried out at RT.

Comment

I'm with Malex on this one. I also think Martin will take over the center position...... and Mancz will shift to RG. I have no clue what we are doing at RT.
                      TexansCap.com

Comment

I'm with Malex on this one. I also think Martin will take over the center position...... and Mancz will shift to RG. I have no clue what we are doing at RT.

Yeah .... no kidding. Seems custom made for a Ramczyk type ! I agree with a Mancz or a Martin .... whichever is the best fit. We can't honestly or accurately evaluate any of our QBs, RBs, WRs, or TEs until our offensive line is solidified ,,,, and that may never happen now that we've gone back to building our OL with 4th through 7th rounders .... and free agents. Oh well, the Egyptian pyramids have been mighty solid, and they were built from the top down .... NO ?
                        "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
                        Voltaire

Comment

I don't understand why you call TS mediocre. His problems have bee physical, but when on the field, he has been very good.

I grew up watching the Cowboys and I like Tom Landry's attitude about players. He said, "get me athletes and I'll make them football players." We need a little more of that and less GM wantabes at the HC position. I think OB and Smith are not butting heads as much as most on this board think.
                          https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

If Giacomini is healthy...then his veteran presence could be valuable at RT. I would have him Davenport attached at the hip in all hopes that by the time the team hits the Bye Week, Davenport would be ready for heavy rotational duty. If the team can get a solid start from BG it could really help set the table for a quick learning curve by Davenport, who in his own right is a pretty smart cookie.

I'm a firm believer that Mancz earned the starting OC job based on last years production. He was the most consistent producer on the OL during the season. He's learned the calls and most of all, he had to help carry poor play at both G spots for the majority of the season. Su'a-Filo finally came on towards the end of last season, giving me a lot of hope that the light finally went on for him and 2017 could be his arrival season. RG never gave Mancz a break...he helped cover the weak RG and the TE's had to help cover the weak RT. For this reason, I would roll the dice with Martin learning the RG job from the very start of the off-season program. BG, like Brown brings the veteran savvy to the comers which could finally help solidify this OL. There will be plenty of bodies competing for backup spots and this could finally be on track to a decent and confidence building season.

LT- Brown
                            LG- Su'a-Filo
                            OC- Mancz
                            RG- Martin
                            RT- Giacomini

I like the idea of Martin being protected by Mancz and Giacomini during his rookie season.

I would like to see Foreman become the feature back and Miller be the backup...or change of pace guy. Miller played a little heavier last season to compensate for the amount of carries he would be responsible for and he didn't do too bad...but he had his limitations. I'd like to see Miller drop 15 lbs. and be a scary good 2nd or 3rd down back where his ability to get outside and catch the ball would have to be accounted for by opposing defense's. Foreman would finally bring a dynamic to. The red--zone that this team has. Sorely missed since the AF days. I like. Hunt to be the 3rd back and maybe. Ervin holds onto the RB4 spot. If the OL is better, this group could really help the QB's.

TE's could get better if thei job was to play a traditional position and not have to be the extra blocker covering for a weak right side.

I like this receiving group and feel like the team needs to find a way to utilize. Wendell. Williams. He is my sleeper on this offense.

So, there's my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post

I don't understand why you call TS mediocre. His problems have bee physical, but when on the field, he has been very good.

I grew up watching the Cowboys and I like Tom Landry's attitude about players. He said, "get me athletes and I'll make them football players." We need a little more of that and less GM wantabes at the HC position. I think OB and Smith are not butting heads as much as most on this board think.

He's mediocre to me because he hasn't done anything. Dude hasn't thrown a TD yet. How in the world is that good. The only time he looked ok is when we were running uptempo. But the very next game when he was told to run Bill O'Brien's offense, he was not good at all. I do give him credit for not turning the ball over.

Here is stats since being a pro. Its nothing eye popping and nothing to write home to momma about.
                              Last edited by Texanballer; 05-21-2017, 05:47 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X