Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texans hire Jimmy Raye III as Assistant General Manager

Alex Marvez @alexmarvez
    A source tells @sn_nfl it's likely Jimmy Raye III will replace Brian Gaine as @HoustonTexans player personnel diector. Raye last w/ @Colts

Jimmy Raye III enters his fourth season as the vice president of football operations for the Colts. The 2016 campaign will also mark Raye’s 22nd season in the NFL, including 17 years with the San Diego Chargers. He served as San Diego’s director of player personnel from 2008-2012, overseeing the team’s professional and college scouting departments while assisting on player personnel matters. Raye joined the Chargers in 1996 and spent four seasons (1996-99) as a scout. He was then elevated to the team’s director of college scouting, spending eight years in that role (2000-07).

With the Colts, Raye works closely with General Manager Ryan Grigson on personnel matters. In addition to assisting with the roster, salary cap and free agency process, Raye also contributes extensively with preparation for the NFL Draft, the NFL Combine and prospect visits. Dating back to 2014, he has handled the college free agent process. In the last two seasons, the Colts have featured eight undrafted free agents who, in their rookie season, played in at least one regular season game, with two players starting games...
    If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Meet Colts interim GM Jimmy Raye III

Indystar.com
    Who is Jimmy Raye?

He is the son of retired NFL coach Jimmy Raye II, and Irsay said he would operate the team in the short term and receive an interview for the position.

Colts Insider Stephen Holder says Raye "is well respected around the league. A veteran personnel man and son of a trailblazing coach. He will have a real shot."

Raye, who will lead the Colts in their Senior Bowl scouting beginning Monday, joined Indianapolis in 2012. Before that, he spent 17 years with the San Diego Chargers, the final five seasons overseeing the team's professional and college scouting departments while also helping out on player personnel matters.

Among the highlights of his tenure with San Diego, according to a Colts.com story, was his recommendation to bypass drafting Michael Vick with the first overall pick in the 2001 NFL draft and instead trade the pick. The Chargers ended up drafting Hall of Fame finalist LaDanian Tomlinson with the fifth overall pick and selecting, on Raye's recommendation, future Hall of Fame quarterback Drew Brees in the second round. Raye also is credited with leading the group that recommended the Chargers sign a basketball player named Antonio Gates.

In his time with the Colts, Raye became "the most trusted confidant" of Grigson

“I think anyone will tell you that Jimmy Raye is the furthest thing from a ‘Yes Man’ there is in this league, and that is critical for someone in my position,” Grigson told Colts.com. “Quite frankly I don’t like to hear some of his opinions sometimes, because I may be leaning very hard in a certain way and express a passionate position in an animated way, but Jimmy is someone who can hit you right back between the eyes with a well thought-out alternative perspective in a very matter of fact way.

“After it all marinates, I forget that he initially ticked me off and I say to myself, ‘Dang, I’m glad I have him.’”

According to Colts.com, Raye counts undrafted free agents Zach Kerr and Jonotthan Harrison, as well as seventh-round pick Denzelle Good, among his proudest finds.

Comment

H2O4ME, curiosity did he really do much in Indy?

Luck, ok. Past that the Colts keep getting players that never meet the hype for the most part. And the D...awful. Even Luck has not been that great other than 1-2 seasons
      JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Color me unimpressed with this hire. Indy has been pretty dysfunctional his whole time while being employed by them. I have a sneaky suspicion that he is good friends with Grigson, and coming from the AFCSouth, I just don't like the hire.

$ In Bill We Trust &

Comment

Oh yeah big Bob. This is how we move forward. Quit protecting your idiot GM.

Comment

Originally posted by dancingbear View Post
            If that article is to be believed.. I have a feeling he may ruffle Smith's feathers from time to time. Lol
            sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

So who's his boss?

Godfather? Then don't expect any change in operation.
              Religion, it's the process of worshipping the messenger and ignoring the message.

Comment

Jimmey Raye Third of his Name

We shall see. This is just a puppet position anyways. Rick Smith makes personnel decision........ PERIOD
                THE Anti troll

Comment

wow, what a horrible hire. He has done absolutely NOTHING. He's been with the colts that long and they have done absolutely NOTHING to get better...not in the draft, not in FA....so what was the point of bringing him on???

Comment

This seems like a poor hire, as such, I actually put more trust in Rick NOT to let this guy touch this team or future drafts. (I don't like Rick to begin with)

Comment

Originally posted by dancingbear View Post
                      I think that is what this hire is doing 100%. Then when Smith makes a bad pick or pickup it can be blamed on the guy who did nothing very impressive in Indy. Sadly from the strange track record of Indy as of late, I would trust Smith more to make a personal call. And I don't think he is a good GM or talent evaluator in any way.
                      JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
                        #Texans hired former Colts VP of Football Operations Jimmy Raye III as their assistant GM, source said.

Only the 7th assistant GM in NFL.

It's official.

Comment

H2O, what do you know about the other personnel changes made regarding all the scouting people??

Comment

Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post
                            H2O, what do you know about the other personnel changes made regarding all the scouting people??
                            Rob was a respected BLESTO guy who has worked his way up with Texans and kind of leapfrogged Larry Wright with this move.

Remember last year when "a scout" tried to text Dak Prescott a bunch of questions, but it instead went to some girl's phone and she made it public? That was Rob.

Kind of surprised Frantzy Jourdain was elevated to national scout. Had been an area guy forever for Pats, but they had fired him.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                              Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

It's official.
                              Any way this guy actually does more than everyone on here seems to expect? I'm sure any inner workings of the colts might be beneficial, though im not sure how much. He might be able to tell us where Irsay likes to eat on his lunch breaks?
                              sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

Working...
                              X