The First 15 Seasons: Looking Back at 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First 15 Seasons: Looking Back at 2011

We've arrived to year 10 in Houston Texans history, the year we finally broke through and won the AFC South division championship and FINALLY made the playoffs after a decade of falling short. This was the year that Wade Phillips came in as defensive coordinator and transformed the worst defense in the NFL into one of the best almost overnight. Andre Johnson ended up missing 9 games due to injuries and Matt Schaub was out for the season after week 10. We still ended up clinching our division with rookie quarterback TJ Yates and then we won our very first ever playoff game, defeating the Bengals at home. The season came to an end with a loss in Baltimore to the Ravens in the AFC Divisional playoff. Post any memories you have of this season here in this thread, it's not like there's much else to talk about right now so go for it.

I went to the Ravens game. First away game I ever went to. Andre just couldn't pull it off even though TJ was throwing him the ball all day....sure it was triple coverage most of the time but Andre can't say that he didn't have his shot because TJ just kept throwing towards AJ. The Jacoby Jones fumble was a killa that we should have overcome but just a bad game plan and not enough 'get it done' by our players. I have a few pictures of my Ravens road trip in my album here.
    http://boards.houstontexans.com/memb...yosarian/media

Click the media tab and it's there somewhere.
    Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
    TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
      I went to the Ravens game. First away game I ever went to. Andre just couldn't pull it off even though TJ was throwing him the ball all day....sure it was triple coverage most of the time but Andre can't say that he didn't have his shot because TJ just kept throwing towards AJ. The Jacoby Jones fumble was a killa that we should have overcome but just a bad game plan and not enough 'get it done' by our players. I have a few pictures of my Ravens road trip in my album here.

Awesome pics, Bodymore Murdaland!

What an awesome season 2011 was. To stick with this team through that decade and to finally win that division against Cincinnati in that game and to KNOW that we were in the playoffs, one of the sweetest moments. TJ Yates gets a lifetime pass, he's in my ring of honor for winning that game for us.

Also from 2011:

Man I love Brian Cushing.

Comment

Two huge additions in the offseason, one led directly to the other...

The first was Wade Phillips as DC.

Without him, we would not have added the second guy:

2011 NFL Draft
        Round Selection Player Position College
        1 11 J. J. Watt Defensive end Wisconsin
        2 42 Brooks Reed Defensive line Arizona
        2 60 Brandon Harris Defensive back Miami
        4 127 Rashad Carmichael Defensive back Virginia Tech
        5 144 Shiloh Keo Defensive back Idaho
        5 152 T. J. Yates Quarterback North Carolina
        7 214 Derek Newton Offensive line Arkansas State
        7 254 Cheta Ozougwu Defensive line Rice

We got lucky on this, too, in that Rick had a trade in place to move up to pick Patrick Peterson.

He went one pick ahead of that trade slot, and instead of just drafting Aldon Smith Rick was talked off the trade and into standing pat at #11.

Last edited by H2O4me; 1 week ago.
        Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

2011 NFL J.J. Watt was the best thing for the defense to have.
          [COLOR="Purple"]July is Here!

Comment

As much as I believe Andre Johnson is the GOAT Texan I don't think there is any denying that JJ Watt put this team on the map. He's such a great player first and foremost, one of the all time best, but he's got a really marketable personality and look, he's a star in every sense of the word. It's been really great to finally see mainstream media talking about my Texans over the past 5-6 years and I believe it all came from JJ Watt. We started getting stuff like Hard Knocks, coverage on ESPN and Fox/CBS pregame shows, hell I was watching NFL Network the other morning and they talked more about the Texans in the 30 or so minutes that I watched than they probably did in the Texans first 10 years combined. Also seems like Watt has attracted a new generation of Texans fans, I'm noticing a difference in the reactions, like the way the fans all left the game early when we were losing to the Colts last year, that just doesn't seem like something a 2002-2009 Texans crowd would have done, also they boo a lot when we are playing bad. Maybe Watt has attracted some fair weather fans?
            Last edited by OG 2002; 1 week ago.

Comment

Absolutely loved them signing Wade Phillips for defensive coordinator, that was something that tied the Texans into the Houston Oilers history with the son of Bum Phillips guiding us to our very first division title and playoff victory with one of the best defenses in the NFL. I think I almost started to cry when we beat the Bengals in that 14th game on December 11th 2011. This is the game I remember the most from 2011. We were losing that game 16-3 at halftime. We were losing 19-10 going into the 4th quarter. TJ Yates threw 2 touchdown passes to bring us back to win it, he ended up going 26 of 44 for 300 yards with 2 TDs and 1 interception. We were losing 19-13 with just 2:44 left in the game when Yates led us on a pretty great game winning drive, he completed 4 of his first 6 passes to move us down from our own 20 to the Bengals 35 yard line with 1:15 left on the clock. The drive stalled with a big sack, ended up putting us at 3rd and 15 with :44 seconds left in the game when TJ Yates broke a big time 17 yard run for the first down. Man I'll never forget that run, this rookie had some heart and a lot of fire in this game. We ended up getting a huge pass interference penalty from Pacman Jones that put us on the Bengals 6 yard line. Yates then threw the game winning touchdown with just 8 seconds on the clock, giving us the win, our first division title, and guaranteeing our very first ever trip to the playoffs with a 20-19 final score. What a great moment it was. I had been waiting a full 10 years for it.

I always wanted to see them try to develop Yates into our guy, if nothing else keep him around to be our Frank Reich, I never understood why they never gave the guy a chance. I believe he could have been our guy through 2013-2016 period and who knows what he could have developed into with some time and effort from Kubiak and/or O'Brien. He was definitely better than so many of these guys they brought in after him.

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post

I went to that game as well. Had a blast hanging out at the Texans fans tailgate. I showed up with a raven on a stick and a Bluehen mask with a bloody hatchet through it. (Flacco is a Delaware Bluehen) Had a wagon full of jaeger bombs. It was my first time ever hanging out with fellow Texans fans. There aren't too many around here. Yes. The Jacoby Jones fumble was a killa. good memory. Thank you OG2002. I enjoy these historical threads and your perspective. Good idea..

Comment

Man that defense really came together in mid-season. We won 5 straight games where they never gave up more than 14 points. JJ Swatt was becoming a household name. I do remember the loss to the Saints in week 3 was a great game. Just went back and forth with them in that second half, 5 lead changes. We were winning 33-32 when the Saints ended up winning it on a 93 yard drive in the final 4 minutes, touchdown gave them the win 40-33. Should have won that game.

That 41-7 thrashing of the Titans was sweet.

I've already said my piece about the Bengals game where Yates led us to our first division title/playoff appearance.

After we clinched the division we were 10-3, we had a real chance to get a first round bye in the playoffs but we laid down in all 3 of the last 3 games, I just couldn't believe it, total lack of effort from the whole team in all 3 of those games. Lost at home to the 4-9 Panthers 28-13, went on the road and lost to the Dan Orlovski 1-13 Colts who we destroyed in week 1, then the last game we lost to the Titans where it all came down to the 2 point conversion with seconds left in the game(we didn't get it). I just couldn't believe it that we had a first round bye within our reach and we just flopped so hard to back into the playoffs.

I forgot about all the QB's they brought in when Schaub got injured, Jake Delhomme got injured I believe, then Matt Lienart looked decent before he got hurt too if I remember correctly.

But man how about that first playoff game!? How sweet that was. To wait 10 years for the Texans to make the playoffs, that was probably the most surreal game to watch. Probably one of the best moments in the past 15 years of Texans history would have to be Bum Phillips walking out before that playoff game, in that moment we got a small piece of our Oilers history back where it belonged, screw the Titans, Oilers belong to Houston.

^God I love this video.

The game itself was everything I had ever dreamed of. JJ Watt's interception for a TD, Andre Johnson jumping into the crowd after he caught that TD from Yates. I think I had goosebumps for the entire game. It was a dream come true.

I honestly can't remember much about the Raven's loss in the playoffs. I remember Yates' interceptions more than Jacoby Jones mistakes, I remember it was a close game though, I was just grateful that we got that far. Great season. We had some moments this year that fans of so many other NFL teams can only dream of for the past 15 years.
                  Last edited by OG 2002; 6 days ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X