No announcement yet.

Preseason...Game 1...Carolina Panthers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to say that as a result of this game I am looking forward to the beginning of the season a little more. Watson looks like a catalyst, and Foreman was impressive, I don't know about this Nelson guy though.... He could make things difficult on us.

Comment

• Originally posted by OG 2002 View Post
      Man it was so great to have the Texans back on my TV. I got to say I was more impressed with Savage than Watson but still felt like we were seeing the start of something special last night with Watson. That starting defense scared me last night with their lack of fire in the belly, seemed like they were a little more fired up in last years preseason games with Demps and Bouye flying around the field going after the ball. Offensive line looked really really bad at first but they started to get better, Nick Martin was who I was watching out for and seemed like he started to get comfortable and play well. Also liked what I seen from Foreman and Davenport. Alfred Blue and Hunt also looked great, we got a pretty solid group of running backs. I'm just so excited about this upcoming season right now, can't wait.

Please, for the love of god, PAY DUANE BROWN!!!!!!
      NO! He's under contract and still isn't here. He'll be back after he starts missing paychecks and then he won't be ready to play. It's pretty selfish if you ask me.
      https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

• Originally posted by Marshall View Post

NO! He's under contract and still isn't here. He'll be back after he starts missing paychecks and then he won't be ready to play. It's pretty selfish if you ask me.
        I would strongly disagree. NFL players have such a small little window to make enough money to live on for the rest of their lives, I don't think Duane Brown owes anybody anything, he's worked hard for every penny he's made from the Houston Texans putting in 9 hard years of work for this franchise, one of the top 3 players we've ever had on this team. If it was any other player I'd agree with you Marshall but Duane Brown deserves to be paid for what he's done for this team, he's still one of the best offensive linemen in the NFL, he proved it last year with how he played against the elite players in the league right now(he dominated Robert Mathis and Khalil Mack). If you want to protect our rookie franchise quarterback and possible future franchise running back I'd say paying Duane Brown more money would be a wise investment for the Houston Texans. Without him next year you can bank on a 4-12 or 5-11 season, plus a significantly higher risk of possible major career altering injuries to the future of our team. They got plenty of money, paying Duane Brown more isn't going to hurt them I promise you. If they are worried about it setting a bad example for other guys, other guys haven't played at Duane's level for this team for a decade, you put in 10 years of work for a team and then talk about holding out for more money.
        Last edited by OG 2002; 1 week ago.

Comment

I would strongly disagree. NFL players have such a small little window to make enough money to live on for the rest of their lives, I don't think Duane Brown owes anybody anything, he's worked hard for every penny he's made from the Houston Texans putting in 9 hard years of work for this franchise, one of the top 3 players we've ever had on this team. If it was any other player I'd agree with you Marshall but Duane Brown deserves to be paid for what he's done for this team, he's still one of the best offensive linemen in the NFL, he proved it last year with how he played against the elite players in the league right now(he dominated Robert Mathis and Khalil Mack). If you want to protect our rookie franchise quarterback and possible future franchise running back I'd say paying Duane Brown more money would be a wise investment for the Houston Texans. Without him next year you can bank on a 4-12 or 5-11 season, plus a significantly higher risk of possible major career altering injuries to the future of our team. They got plenty of money, paying Duane Brown more isn't going to hurt them I promise you. If they are worried about it setting a bad example for other guys, other guys haven't played at Duane's level for this team for a decade, you put in 10 years of work for a team and then talk about holding out for more money.
          Anyway 99.9% of the working class around the world put in 40 years of unpampered work with a nest egg about equal to one week of Brown's salary if we really get down to reality. Pretty sure the dude already has more money than just about everyone on earth.

Comment

• Originally posted by dancingbear View Post

Anyway 99.9% of the working class around the world put in 40 years of unpampered work with a nest egg about equal to one week of Brown's salary if we really get down to reality. Pretty sure the dude already has more money than just about everyone on earth.
            We're getting into a whole other issue with this, you can pretty much say this applies to all NFL players, besides how many out of that 99.99 percent do you think can eliminate 2017 NFL DPOY Khalil Mack from a football game entirely? Running the football on the left side was all the Texans had last year for a reason. Time to pay up Mr. Mcnair. You are crazy if you think it's not worth paying, we're not talking about a kid in his 20's that's been playing here for a few years this is one of the bedrocks for the franchise we're talking about here. What is the harm in paying up some more cash? It'll be money well spent.
            Last edited by OG 2002; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Just now finished the tape...
              Jeff Allen gets blown up
              Allen, Clark, XSF all beat
              Tom's clock/process a bit slow

Blue nice STs tackle

Kevin Johnson back to his trying for big hit vs wrapping guy up
              Watt pursues 20 yards downfield for tackle from opposite side 3 tech

#21 gives up contain lane then bounces off return guy
              Drummond trouble flipping his hips
              Benjamin beats JJo every time on that TD if he catches it

Bubble screens, boots even with Tom -- boolah, boolah
              Blue decisive runs, good power blocks
              Lamm false start
              Nice step up, throw Savage to Strong
              Giacomini had the block but grabbed anyway -- holding
              Blow to the head on Ervin, no call
              Martin/XSF/Wendall all great blocks on Blue TD. Nice run.

Pratt good play/tipped pass
              Pratt loses edge contain big run

Kubiak misdirection waggle for DW, zone blocking
              DW way overcooks it to open Bayliss

#51 loses contain on punt, big return

Nice opening run by Foreman, Josh Walker with the block
              Foreman doesn't plant his foot, no cut up no first

Eddie Pleasant rookie mistake

Joe Webb nice Tyrod Tayloresque TD pass. He's a Cam mini-me, don't know why they have David Anderson over him?

DW on his horse, directing traffic like street ball
              DW good step up completion Bayliss fumbles away

#37 gets juked out of his shoes but Scarlett batts the pass

Mancz/DQ/Walker/Slade/Davenport moving guys Foreman nice gain
              Riley McCarron moves just like Welker did. Doesn't have his suddeness, but same style.
              DW scrambles forever, causes illegal downfield penalty

KJ Dillon great position, balls zip right past him for completion
              #58 loses the edge again
              Webb misses easy switch route read, throws to wrong guy & high for INT

Robert Nelson getting himself turned around every wrong way
              Cunningham late diagnosis, not getting off block
              Cunningham takes college angle, get beat to edge
              Kamalu sets the edge
              Kamalu bulls through OT for QB hurry
              Eric Lee gives up the edge, big run

Robert Nelson nice backfield tackle
              Then Nelson gets beat for TD. No pressure from DL, be can't cover 4.27 speed.

3rd & short, DW holds too long gets sacked.
              4th & short Foreman runs standing straight up, barely gets the first. Must fix his pad level. Mancz/Walker w/blocks.
              DW quick out to Hunt for ~7 yards, took the cushion the DB was giving.
              **DW has a quick release. So refreshing compared to Brockweiler.**
              Questionable holding on Mancz erasaes good block by DQ/turnout by Davenport

Dangerous late slide by DW, almost took a shot to the head.
              DW nice first down pop pass,
              Then spots 1-on1, nice getting it to Dres on a bit of a staredown
              Nice play design/call and nice recognition by DW on ~5 wide pass to Hunt

Watson overcooks it to Steet down hash for possible TD
              Forman goes down on shoestring tackle, lots of space to run
              Easy TD for DW, we doubled the middle and spread the field

President gets sucked in, gives up the edge for big run
              Dunn sack from 3-tech
              Nice wrap tackle by Peters on screen
              Decoud tripped or tripped himself

Another PA to TE for DW
              DW just underthrows the WR
              Hunt doesn't get his head around on a half-field play

Dee Virgin whiffs on ST tackle, President right behind him wraps it up
              Denzel Rice forced that fumble that Cole scored on... bad reversal by refs

#32 and #37 STs penalties

Couldn't see who sprung Foreman for long gain, but Walker & Slade were on that side
              Davenport gave up sack people were giving to DQ
              DW doesn't see the overload blitz coming, sacked

Ran right past our stunt, Peters late filling, big run
              Ricky Hatley getting pushed all over the place, not playing like he practiced
              Little pressure from scrub DL
              Rice kinds good, kinds lucky TD breakup

#58 loses his guy on STs return
              Ogunbowale nice run, Austell paved the way
              Davenport missed assignment at RT

Fairbairn bad miss on FG

Weeden showing some arm talent as usual
              Not so hot: Jeff Allen, XSF
              Rough night: Robert Nelson and multiple ST guys named above
              Looked good: Nick Martin
              Little known who stood out: Gimel President, Josh Walker
              Better game than you've heard: Evan Bayliss

Nice night for DW. Missed some throws he should make, missed some reads/adjustments but made throws too and saw a few good adjustments at LOS. He's got to lose the run-around QB mentality or he'll get killed in real games.

Our OTs are bad and we desperately need smarter safety play. Huge holes, imo.

And our WRs are not getting much separation. Versus 1s, that'll be a big issue.

Last edited by H2O4me; 1 week ago.

Comment

• good break down
                Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                TexansCap.com

Comment

• Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                  DW good step up completion Bayliss fumbles away
                  On this play, Watson passed up a crossing Wendall Williams. Williams was the better option here, but it was a more difficult throw. This play, along with the overthrows, and a few other things, proved to me that DW isn't ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by vtech9 View Post
                    On this play, Watson passed up a crossing Wendall Williams. Williams was the better option here, but it was a more difficult throw. This play, along with the overthrows, and a few other things, proved to me that DW isn't ready.
                    I can't agree.

Here's when the ball is just out:

Williams is sitting at a 5 yard gain bracketed with a DB over the top. Pretty easy throw, may not get a first down.

DW throws between the defenders to Bayliss at the first down line.

Bayliss gains 15-16 yards before fumbling.

I think DW made the correct read on this play, ensuring a first down.

Comment

• On first down both options would have been correct. Not Watsons fault Bayless coughed up the ball. But no one is going to complain about 5+ yards on first down. Watson was confident he could get the ball to Bayless, so I am good with the H20 breakdown. Good read, confident throw, and making the most of every play. Nothing wrong with that.
                      Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                      TexansCap.com

Comment

• Snap Counts: Texans vs. Panthers

BattleRedBlog
                        Time to take a dig through the snap count numbers from last night’s game to see who’s getting playing time and who’s lower down the pecking order.
                        Name: Total Snaps Taken: Percentage of Snaps Taken:
                        Greg Mancz C 61 75%
                        Evan Baylis TE 56 69%
                        Julien Davenport T 55 68%
                        Chad Salde G 55 68%
                        Riley McCarron WR 50 62%
                        Deshaun Watson QB 47 58%
                        Josh Walker G 44 54%
                        David Quessenberry T 44 54%
                        Dres Anderson WR 36 44%
                        Devin Street WR 34 42%
                        Akeem Hunt RB 31 38%
                        Kendall Lamm T 26 32%
                        D'Onta Foreman RB 24 30%
                        Xavier Su'a Filo G 23 28%
                        Jeff Allen G 23 28%
                        Jaelen Strong WR 21 26%
                        Breno Giacomini T 20 25%
                        Nick Martin C 20 25%
                        Tom Savage QB 20 25%
                        DeAndre Hopkins WR 19 23%
                        Wendall Williams WR 16 20%
                        Rashaun Allen TE 15 19%
                        Ryan Griffin TE 15 19%
                        Alfred Blue RB 14 17%
                        Eric Austell C 14 17%
                        Laurence Gibson T 14 17%
                        Justin Hardee WR 14 17%
                        Bradon Weeden QB 14 17%
                        C.J Fiedorowicz TE 13 16%
                        Chris Thompson WR 12 15%
                        Braxton Miller WR 11 14%
                        Tyler Ervin RB 9 11%
                        Chris Clark T 6 7%
                        Lamar Miller RB 6 7%
                        Dale Ogunbowale RB 5 6%
                        Jay Prosch FB 4 5%
                        DEFENSE:
                        Dayon Pratt LB 42 69%
                        KJ Dillon S 42 69%
                        Zach Cunningham LB 39 64%
                        Dylan Cole LB 38 62%
                        Gimel President LB 33 54%
                        Dee Virgin CB 32 52%
                        Robert Nelson CB 32 52%
                        Corey Moore FS 32 52%
                        Bryce Jones CB 32 52%
                        Carlos Watkins DT 24 39%
                        Brennan Scarlett LB 23 38%
                        Malik Smith S 20 33%
                        Denzel Rice CB 20 33%
                        Marcus Roberson CB 20 33%
                        Christian Covington DE 18 30%
                        Eddie Pleasant S 17 28%
                        Kurtis Drummond S 16 26%
                        Daniel Ross DE 16 26%
                        Matthew Godin DE 16 26%
                        Brandon Dunn DE 15 25%
                        DJ Reader NT 15 25%
                        Rickey Hatley NT 13 21%
                        Andre Hal S 12 20%
                        Ufomba Kamalu DE 12 20%
                        Brian Peters LB 11 18%
                        Eli Ankou DT 10 16%
                        Brian Cushing LB 9 15%
                        Jadeveon Clowney LB 9 15%
                        Kevin Johnson CB 9 15%
                        Whitney Mercilus LB 8 13%
                        Kareem Jackson CB 7 11%
                        Jonathan Joseph CB 6 10%
                        Tony Washington LB 6 10%
                        Eric Lee LB 5 8%
                        Shakeel Rashad LB 4 7%
                        Avery Williams LB 4 7%
                        JJ Watt DE 4 7%

ODDS AND ENDS:
                        • The Texans tallied twelve penalties that were accepted by the Panthers for a total of 91 yards last night. The amount of penalties was more than they incurred in any single game last season.
                        • All six of the Texans’ running backs charted at least one target last night, with five of them securing at least them reception.
                        • Both the offense and defense saw increased spread looks last night with the Texans having three WRs on more than 40% of the total snaps played and three CBs who played over 50% of the total defensive snaps.

Comment

So you're saying that you don't believe in honoring your contracts and commitments. We're not talking about a free agent here.

Personally, I hope they cut him. I'm sick of this demand from people like you spitting on previously agreed contracts. Don't commit if you aren't going to be men of your word. Play without a contract.

Now if you're talking about extending, then you negotiate on the value of the extended years. But never renegotiate because someone is failing to live up to their word of honor.

I really don't want him at this point. I wasn't that pleased last season when he returned. Give him the Caper-(not worth a plugged) nickel treatment.

ps I love how people without money are so free to waste the money of those who do have it. Of course it's worth it. It's not YOUR money.
                          Last edited by Marshall; 1 week ago.

Comment

• It's time for a "Not ready to play because you're a Dumb Asp" list where players who skip training camp can go so they don't get paid while they get into football shape like they should have done in training camp.

Comment

So you're saying that you don't believe in honoring your contracts and commitments. We're not talking about a free agent here.

Personally, I hope they cut him. I'm sick of this demand from people like you spitting on previously agreed contracts. Don't commit if you aren't going to be men of your word. Play without a contract.

Now if you're talking about extending, then you negotiate on the value of the extended years. But never renegotiate because someone is failing to live up to their word of honor.

I really don't want him at this point. I wasn't that pleased last season when he returned. Give him the Caper-(not worth a plugged) nickel treatment.

ps I love how people without money are so free to waste the money of those who do have it. Of course it's worth it. It's not YOUR money.

NFL contracts are a little different from any other contract, don't hate the player hate the game; this is the most brutal sport and if you go down with an injury they can throw you away like trash without paying you jack. Duane Brown is on another level than any of the other offensive lineman we have, he played **** well last year from what I seen. You want to cut one of the best Texans of all time and one of our best players instead of our BILLIONAIRE owner scrapping off a few more grand for one of the men that has worked the hardest for this team in it's 15 year existence, it's not your money either, but guess what Duane Brown's body is not your body, his brain damage from playing NFL football for a decade is not your CTE, his family that has to be taken care of is not your family so it's not your problems. Me and you are just going to disagree homey.

Comment

Where do you stand when it's the team not honoring contracts? In 2015 the Texans approached Andre Johnson and said "Andre, you've still got a few years on the contract we agreed on, but we don't like paying your 10.5mil base salary anymore. Please agree to take a paycut". AJ turned them down and the TEAM decided not to honor the contract of one of the greatest, most humble and loyal players this team has ever had.

Comment

Working...
                                X