Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preseason...Game 2...New England Patriots!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preseason...Game 2...New England Patriots!

On Saturday, August 19th at 7pm central time, the Patriots will travel to Houston to take on our Houston Texans at NRG Stadium. The game will be aired locally on ABC 13.
    In the 2nd game of the preseason, the time the starters are on the field is usually ratcheted up to at least 2 quarters. I'd love to see Watson and Foreman play at least half the snaps with the starters. It probably won't happen though. Savage needs to show allot of improvement in this game. He was efficient against the Panthers, but he and as a matter of fact Watson, never got a deep passing game going. Savage showed poise and on the scoring drive that produced 2 penalties that put him in long yardage situations, he over came both. Watson found himself in that situation and he was able to overcome them as well. They both played well but Watson just showed a little bit more of that excitement factor. Let's see what they can do against the Patriots.
    The O-line needs to protect better. They just all looked like turnstiles in the passing game and ineffective at opening up holes in the running game. Except for Martin, and yes, Quessenberry. They were beasts. It shows that Duane Brown is needed to solidify the line.
    The secondary is very suspect at this point, and Nelson had best make up for his gaffs in the Carolina game or he won't find himself on the roster when the regular season gets here.
    The big thing that definitely needs to get better is penalties. We saw way to many mistakes and penalties that were just stupid. There were also some bad calls from the refs. But the Texans need to clean up the mistakes that put them in bad situations.
    Special teams, well it just sucks. They need to fix this right away. Bad blocking, stupid penalties and bad decision making by the ball carriers. All of it needs to be fixed.
    We as fans need to see much improvement in everything over what we saw in the Panthers game.
    The Texans will practice against the Patriots this week at the Greenbriar in West Virginia.
    This should make for a fun week and a great game.
    What areas of concern do you have and what do you think needs to improve before the season starts?
    GO TEXANS!!!
    Last edited by JamTex; 1 week ago.
    ~Your Weekly Game Thread Creator~

GO TEXANS!!!

I haven't seen the whole game, only bits and pieces but I have it recorded so I plan on going back and watching it tonight or tomorrow...I'm just wondering, what's our WR2 position looking like? Is Braxton going to be able to player in the slot or the outside? What about Strong?

Comment

Originally posted by 281Texan View Post
      I haven't seen the whole game, only bits and pieces but I have it recorded so I plan on going back and watching it tonight or tomorrow...I'm just wondering, what's our WR2 position looking like? Is Braxton going to be able to player in the slot or the outside? What about Strong?
      Strong actually looked pretty good. Braxton went out with a leg injury. Hopefully it won't keep him out long. He looked good as well while he was in. Both, however, could improve. The one to watch is Anderson. He looked good. He caught 4 passes for 80 yards. He could be a dark horse that makes the team of he keeps it up.
      Last edited by JamTex; 1 week ago.

GO TEXANS!!!

Comment

Savage vs the Pats 1st string defense. He could not move the ball till the panthers 2nd team got on the field. If that happens again Watson will be starting preseason game 3 for sure. Cause that would be the best time to see him vs a defense that is tuning up for the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by TexansWatt99 View Post
          Savage vs the Pats 1st string defense. He could not move the ball till the panthers 2nd team got on the field. If that happens again Watson will be starting preseason game 3 for sure. Cause that would be the best time to see him vs a defense that is tuning up for the regular season.
          The source of all my questions surrounding Savage, and the main thing I'll be watching Pre-Wk2. What happened those first two series? Nerves and he needed to settle down in his first game back? Were we calling plays that took too long to develop and our Oline couldn't give him time? Were WRs not getting open? Is he just too slow to process? Savage needs to come out and show this arm talent and natural throwing motion that reporters are talking about.

No. 2 on my list is seeing what Zach Cunningham looks like against a team that gets their TEs and RBs involved in the passing game.

Comment

Originally posted by JamTex View Post

Strong actually looked pretty good. Braxton went out with a leg injury. Hopefully it won't keep him out long. He looked good as well while he was in. Both, however, could improve. The one to watch is Anderson. He looked good. He caught 4 passes for 80 yards. He could be a dark horse that makes the team of he keeps it up.
            Didn't Anderson dislocate his finger?

Comment

Originally posted by dancingbear View Post

Didn't Anderson dislocate his finger?
              Yes he did, but it's not life threatening.

GO TEXANS!!!

Comment

here's the problem with Tom Savage starting. I don't count the preseason as a full game but he has 3 games and a quarter against a 2nd team under his belt, how is it that watson has been in the league for 2 months and already passed him in td's? It's quite clear the offense will be more effective with Watson. I would be fine with watson sitting if he was in the same position as trisbusky and Keizer on a bad team but that isn't the case. If you want to be in close games, savage is your starter. He plays conservative and the last thing is, if he starts the first 4 games and we have a bad record, Bob can't expect a rookie to cover his tail, that wouldn't be fair to watson. He would probably be fired too.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHouston View Post
                  here's the problem with Tom Savage starting. I don't count the preseason as a full game but he has 3 games and a quarter against a 2nd team under his belt, how is it that watson has been in the league for 2 months and already passed him in td's? It's quite clear the offense will be more effective with Watson. I would be fine with watson sitting if he was in the same position as trisbusky and Keizer on a bad team but that isn't the case. If you want to be in close games, savage is your starter. He plays conservative and the last thing is, if he starts the first 4 games and we have a bad record, Bob can't expect a rookie to cover his tail, that wouldn't be fair to watson. He would probably be fired too.
                  There are plenty of reasons to be excited about Deshaun, but THIS particular argument holds no water and you've posted it twice now.. You're not comparing like statistics by comparing pre-season production to regular season production.

Preseason to Preseason:
                  Savage: 9 TDs - 2 INTs (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
                  Note: In 2014 he played 1 pre-season game.
                  Watson: 1 TD

I like Watson a lot and wouldn't mind him starting Week 1, but this argument makes no sense.

Comment

I think Watson needs to start for the sole reason that he is the future of this team, he'll learn more by playing, and Savage likely will get paid a lot of money elsewhere this offseason by some QB needy team to come in and try to start (See 2016 Texans, 2017 Bears, 2013 Seahawks, etc.)

Comment

Revenge!!!

Comment

It looks like our Texans got the best of the joint practice with the Patriots today on both sides of the ball. Let's hope that continues into tomorrow and through the game Saturday. That would bolster the confidence of this group. Go Texans!

GO TEXANS!!!

Comment

Hope to see Wendal Williams get some good work in this game. He's been looking good in practice. He just might be that dark horse we're waiting for to take some of the pressure off of D Hop. Let's hope so. And just maybe Jaelen Strong can step up too.

GO TEXANS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JamTex View Post
                            It looks like our Texans got the best of the joint practice with the Patriots today on both sides of the ball.
                            Huh...?

Methinks you're listening to to The General waving front office's pom-poms.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

Huh...?

Methinks you're listening to to The General waving front office's pom-poms.

It's hard to tell based on the beat writers -- On one hand, most reporters are talking about the texans front 7 having a ton of "would be" sacks.. but on the other hand, they're saying.. We're going to count all completions and statistics made, regardless of whether the QB would have been sacked.

The take away to me is: It sounds like our defensive talent can compete with probably the best offense in the league. If Vrable and Crennel gameplan as well as they did last year, it'll be a fun unit to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X