Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preseason...Game 3...New Orleans Saints!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preseason...Game 3...New Orleans Saints!

On Saturday, August 26th at 7pm central time, the Texans will take on the Saints in the Super Dome in New Orleans. The game will be aired locally on ABC 13.
    This is the tune up game. Savage has won the tune up rights as far as performance, but Watson still has that wow factor. The offensive line looked really good against the Patriots, but will they hold up another game? Will Foreman finally prove he deserves the spot over Allen? Which receiver will stand out as the possible #2?
    Could it be Ellington, or Strong, or Williams, or maybe even Anderson? We have allot of questions. There are answers. Well see those answers come out as the preseason goes past the mid point. This should be a fun game to watch. Drew is a great quarterback, but he'll be going against a great defense. Who wins? We'll see Saturday.
    Last edited by JamTex; 08-20-2017, 08:41 AM.
    ~Your Weekly Game Thread Creator~

GO TEXANS!!!

I hope our QBs/QB coaches and maybe even Billy participate in Bree's QB challenge this week. It's a fun watch.
    If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Comment

I'm hoping to see some more improvement in the offensive line like we saw from the first game to the last game. One part that has to improve is the secondary. They will have to be on point going against Brees. There needs to be much better coverage then we saw in both of the first 2 games. The special teams improved some, but they still have a long way to go and we definitely need to see allot of improvement there. Especially in kick coverage. Watson needs to be better then he was in the Patriots game to catch Savage who had a very good game. There will be allot to watch in this one.
      ~Your Weekly Game Thread Creator~

GO TEXANS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JamTex View Post
        I'm hoping to see some more improvement in the offensive line like we saw from the first game to the last game. One part that has to improve is the secondary. They will have to be on point going against Brees. There needs to be much better coverage then we saw in both of the first 2 games. The special teams improved some, but they still have a long way to go and we definitely need to see allot of improvement there. Especially in kick coverage. Watson needs to be better then he was in the Patriots game to catch Savage who had a very good game. There will be allot to watch in this one.
        To me, the thing that's been most fun to watch about this year's preseason as opposed to some of the previous years, is that I get this overwhelming sense that the team doesn't care about the scoreboard at all.

In previous years, its felt more like we were trying to win the preseason.. We'd leave our starters in for a little longer, made adjustments, and were a little more aggressive with the playcall. This year, you can tell -- the preseason is basically 4 evaluation scrimmages. We're doing things like letting Zach C play a lot and learn from his mistakes instead of pulling him and going nickle. We're really testing our young corners and putting them out there to see who will step up, instead of pulling them the first time they get burned we're giving them a chance to dig themselves out of a hole.

I could be wrong, but this year just feels different... Maybe like they're less concerned with correcting scheme and implementing plays (because our guys have enough time in system?), and more concerned with evaluating talent and discerning which young guys can be relied upon.

EDIT: Also -- we're not rotating running backs every other play like we've done in previous preseasons.. ex. Blue on 1st, Grimes on 2nd, Hunt on 3rd..

Comment

I don't know but if we don't see Clowney suited up then something has to be going on. Can anyone remember if they held him back last year in TC?

Comment

Originally posted by dancingbear View Post
            I don't know but if we don't see Clowney suited up then something has to be going on. Can anyone remember if they held him back last year in TC?
            They are definitely holding back those known starters to preserve their health going into the season. We've had a history of injury in the last week or two of preseason. Perhaps time in the system by the starters has afforded more luxury to hold them back until the season starts. It's pretty much, knock the rust off and then get them out of there so far. The starters who have been getting time are freshman and sophomores in this system.
            https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

I believe he only played Preseason week 2 last year for a total of 5 tackles, 1 sack. I found one article saying he debuted week 2 against the saints after missing week 1 against the 49ers. Our starters don't normally play week 4, and he didn't appear on the stat sheet for 2016 preseason week 3 against the cardinals.

Comment

Clowney played against the Cards last preseason, a little bit. I was there and I remember pointing him out to my fiancé who's a gamecock

edit: 17 on this list http://m.houstontexans.com/news/arti...6-e1a6513a7e7d
                Last edited by taboo; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Ok, thanks all. I'll quit worrying about him. I have this dream to see him, JJ, Mercilus and Cole converging on a QB in real time.

Comment

Ok, thanks all. I'll quit worrying about him. I have this dream to see him, JJ, Mercilus and Cole converging on a QB in real time.
                    That's funny because my dream has him, JJ, Mercilus and Reader getting 1/4 sack each... Play that is... QBs... RBs. Now where is that Beverly Hillbilly banjo?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...b&action=click
                    Last edited by Marshall; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

I expect to see a 4-3 look with Reader and JJ inside and Mercilus and Clowney on the ends at some point. But probably not in the pre-season

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post
                        I expect to see a 4-3 look with Reader and JJ inside and Mercilus and Clowney on the ends at some point. But probably not in the pre-season

I know the old saying is "don't fix it if it ain't broke" but I expect Vrabel will add a few wrinkles of his own to the Texans defense once the games count.

I, like many here, believe we have a real winner with Vrabel. Texans will only be a starting point for his career..
                        Religion, it's the process of worshipping the messenger and ignoring the message.

Comment

Josh Katzenstein @jkatzenstein
                          The Saints agreed to a deal with Bryan Braman after a workout today, per agent. Braman is primarily special teams contributor.

Comment

Mike Triplett, ESPN Staff Writer
                            Saints/Texans practice is closed to the fans and the media today inside the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. It's basically just a walk-through session on the day before the game. But Sean Payton said the teams will still work together on a lot of situational things – like onside kicks at the end of the game, etc.

8 Saints players to watch vs. Texans in preseason home opener

The Times-Picayune
                            Drew Brees

This may be a bizarre way to open a column about “players to watch” for a couple of reasons.

For starters, no one will learn anything about Brees from a brief preseason appearance against the Houston Texans on Saturday night. We all know who he is.

The real reason for me to mention him in this category is simple. I want to watch Brees never leave the sideline once the game starts.

Don’t take a single snap against the Houston Texans. Don’t risk Brees taking a high snap from Josh LeRibeus. Don’t risk Brees taking a hit from J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney or any other Texans defender. Especially without Max Unger, Terron Armstead and possibly Ryan Ramczyk around to protect him.

Sit Brees.

Hell, tell him to head home after player introductions.

Adrian Peterson

Sean Payton mentioned earlier this week how vets like Brees, Peterson, Mark Ingram and Cam Jordan would suit up and play against Houston.

I’m tempted to place the veteran Saints running back in the same category as Brees. After all, Peterson last received a preseason carry in 2011. He’s 32 and carries a ton of NFL mileage with him.

This offense is still new to Peterson, though. You could understand why Payton would be tempted to have Peterson take a couple of carries Saturday.

There’s no denying how well Peterson has played in practice during the last couple of weeks. He’s hit holes with force. He’s made defenders miss with nifty footwork. He even hauled in a 30-yard touchdown reception on a wheel route from Brees against Houston in Thursday’s practice.

We’ve already “seen it” from Peterson in practice. We don’t necessarily need to see anything from Peterson in a game setting until Week 1 at Minnesota.

Marshon Lattimore/Ryan Ramczyk

Both 2017 first-round picks spent time on the sidelines this offseason with various injuries. The crisis seemed to be averted with both players back on the field and expected to start Week 1.

Then, another punch in the gut punch for the Saints during Thursday’s joint practice session with the Texans.

Both players left practice with apparent ailments. Payton didn’t give any update on either situation after practice, but said hopefully both can still play Saturday.

I originally planned to write about each player separately. I wanted to watch Lattimore find a better test against a stud receiver like DeAndre Hopkins. I wanted to watch Ramczyk receive a stiffer test than in last week’s game against the likes of Watt and Clowney.

Now, I’m just wondering if they’re healthy enough to play.

Al-Quadin Muhammad

The Saints’ 2017 sixth-round pick ranks among the league leaders in preseason sacks with two. He’s taken down as may passers as more notable rookies like T.J. Watt and Jordan Willis.

I know, I know. It’s two preseason games.

But Muhammad should hang his hat on these statistics. He’s fighting for a roster spot, and Muhammad has showed signs of being an effective pass rusher in the Saints’ first two preseason games. He’s also flashed a few times during training camp practices during the past few weeks.

Maybe the Saints will give the 6-foot-4, 250-pounder some snaps earlier in the Texans game to gain a better evaluation of Muhammad.

P.J. Williams

We know Delvin Breaux won’t be ready for the regular season with a fractured leg. We don’t know if Lattimore will be ready for the Texans game after leaving Thursday’s practice.

Williams becomes front and center as the team’s top cornerback.

He’s been hit or miss in practice throughout training camp. At times, receivers will beat Williams once he makes a cut. At other times, Williams sticks with the wideouts and can break up passes. There’s a lack of consistency.

What we do know is that Williams will start Week 1 regardless. Any game action for Williams is a positive leading up to the regular season.

Texans quarterback Tom Savage earned the starting nod because of his consistency in preseason. I expect Savage to test Williams on Saturday. Williams could use the challenge given he’s only played in two games his first two years in the league.

Manti Te'o

I wondered if the former Chargers linebacker would even make the Saints 53-man roster when the Saints signed him, much less make an impact on defense.

One preseason game should at least prove Te’o will land on the roster without any worries. Can Te’o make an impact on a weekly basis like he did against Los Angeles? Let’s watch how he follows up his eight-tackle performance, which included one sack and three tackles for a loss.

Defensive coordinator Dennis Allen can’t judge Te’o’s role on simply one game. The linebacker has given a good first impression. He’ll need to continue the same progress against Houston.

Tony McDaniel

The veteran defensive tackle never landed on my radar until he broke loose for four tackles against the Chargers. The Saints carry a clear opening for a fourth defensive lineman with Nick Fairley out for the year, and possibly forever, with a heart condition.

There’s no one on the roster I can point to as a true backup nose tackle to Tyeler Davison. McDaniel has put himself in the mix.

Comment

Interesting to see the Opposition view point. Make no mistake, the "Reporter/fan" identifies himself as a Saint. Perhaps the Saints are HIS BEAT, like some of those who cover the Texans exclusively.

Comment

Working...
                              X