Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offensive Line Problems -- pay Duane Brown (and get help)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SPOTexas View Post

Yeah and allow the players to do the same when they get cut with years left on their contracts.
    Don't the contracts specifically address this? IE the contract says the player can be cut... right? Have you ever heard of a contract that says a player doesn't have to play unless he "wants" to? We can talk about what we want contracts to allow in the future, but the point is he is the one not living up to his contract when his team needs him the most. To take advantage of the teams desperate need for O lineman when the team has made it clear they don't redo contracts this early just shows he puts himself ahead of the team. Also, this comes on the heels of the team proving they treat players more than fair in the same situation as they did for Hopkins. Smith needs to stand his ground. Don't set a precedent the team will regret from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by colethornton View Post

Don't the contracts specifically address this? IE the contract says the player can be cut... right? Have you ever heard of a contract that says a player doesn't have to play unless he "wants" to? We can talk about what we want contracts to allow in the future, but the point is he is the one not living up to his contract when his team needs him the most. To take advantage of the teams desperate need for O lineman when the team has made it clear they don't redo contracts this early just shows he puts himself ahead of the team. Also, this comes on the heels of the team proving they treat players more than fair in the same situation as they did for Hopkins. Smith needs to stand his ground. Don't set a precedent the team will regret from now on.
      But they have redid players contracts before,pay the man simple as that or trade him.Carson Palmer did the same thing with the bengals,if you can miss game checks you can sit out. When its a holdout everyone wants to scream about a team,when a player is cut or traded then its o its a business or o thats the breaks lol.

Comment

They dont have the luxury of playing hardball with brown due to the train wreck of an o-line that they have assembled.

Holding the line on the team's contract policy cant be a greater priority than getting your best team on the field..
        Houston Texans...Squandering JJs talent for another year with bad QB play...

Comment

Originally posted by southwest View Post

But they have redid players contracts before,pay the man simple as that or trade him.Carson Palmer did the same thing with the bengals,if you can miss game checks you can sit out. When its a holdout everyone wants to scream about a team,when a player is cut or traded then its o its a business or o thats the breaks lol.
          I know what the Texans policy is with contracts but I'm starting to wonder if the raised fist last year is the reason they're refusing to budge on this, McNair ordered of course
          I.R.H.T.W.I.T.L.

Comment

Check out this article from July and take note of what was written under the headline about the offensive line. Content is pretty good but humorous statement to say the least.

http://scout.com/nfl/texans/Article/...ize--105339136

Comment

Originally posted by ubecool454 View Post
              Sua Filo is garbage. Fire the coach and his clowns that are scouting for this team.
              True sua filo is garbage, Allen isn't much better and for his price tag, can em both, I don't like what brown is doing at all, but we need him on that line and get the best option in at right tackle work manc's into the mix, keep Martin. Hopefully will steady the line. Fire the coach? Maybe but Rick should be gone before him.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post

Just say NO!
                So quit is the better option, just ditch the season. Nah. Brown will come in for more money, Rick just needs to minimize it and keep it short term. One game, and everyone has got this team in the dumpster again, we've got two years to go before we have possible' help via the draft, So Rick has only one option pony up money to keep your best till you can draft better, and pay free agents to come here, no other choice if you want to field a team that can play.

Comment

Originally posted by AZTexan View Post

I'm starting to wonder if the raised fist last year is the reason they're refusing to budge on this, McNair ordered of course
                  If the owner ordered it because he expects every player to show respect during our national anthem, it's an even better reason not to pay him more!

Comment

If the owner ordered it because he expects every player to show respect during our national anthem, it's an even better reason not to pay him more!
                    Why Cole Thornton .... I thought you were dead ! That's a mighty slippery slope you're on. I agree with you and feel the very same way you do. The problem is .... as patriotic as we feel, we are compelled to follow and protect the 1st amendment, because we love this country .... because it is a nation of laws ! I say this because I did not hear DB's comment, and until I hear otherwise, I am assuming that he was showing his support of free speech, and not black power. I've never met him, but in every interview I've ever seen, he came across as such a classy human being. I hope that I do not hear otherwise. " I'm lookin' at a tin star, with a ....drunk pinned on it" !
                    "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
                    Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by TexansRock80 View Post
                      They dont have the luxury of playing hardball with brown due to the train wreck of an o-line that they have assembled.

Holding the line on the team's contract policy cant be a greater priority than getting your best team on the field..
                      At this point do we think one player on the o line is going to make a bit of difference. Other than Martin what else do we have?????
                      Trade him and regroup some picks so Rick smith can draft a long snapper. Rick smith is the dude in my fantasy league that drafts a player that retired last year.
                      sigpic If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Comment

It's all written in for both sides. Both sides accepted that if he doesn't show up for training camp he gets docked $40k per day. There are also terms regarding the regular season.

Comment

I'm not sure on the specifics of his contract or how much pay he is being docked/fined, but I say hold on to him for as long as you can take money out of his pockets. After that, trade him for any pick you can get. He abandoned his team when they needed him most.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                            I'm most interested generally to see whether we show up or not for the game.

I have a hard time believing the Harvey stuff hasn't been a major distraction for the majority of our players contributing their time/efforts in the community, notwithstanding their personal stuff.

We'll see.
                            Can't show up if you've got a C and nothing else to show up with...

Surest way to losing is to ignore the offensive line with average to below average QBs.

Comment

Mark these words, Watson and or any qb the Texans put on the field will end up on injured reserve if the brass don't sign Brown. That is that.

Comment

Originally posted by SPOTexas View Post

Yeah and allow the players to do the same when they get cut with years left on their contracts.
                                Exactly. I don't know why "fans" cry about players making business moves and not "honoring the contract," but give the teams a pass for doing shady things.

Originally posted by dancingbear View Post
                                What an idiotic precedent to pay that clown. Maybe give a little to Kim jong un to play nice. Other poster was right. We need picks since our resident idiot traded them next year. Trade him.
                                Only a dummy would rather let him sit out while the team gets manhandled.
                                Not changing this sig until the Texans can rush the shotgun. -- Started 10/15/12

Comment

Working...
                                X