Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offensive Line Problems -- pay Duane Brown (and get help)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kemahkeith View Post

At this point do we think one player on the o line is going to make a bit of difference. Other than Martin what else do we have?????
    Trade him and regroup some picks so Rick smith can draft a long snapper. Rick smith is the dude in my fantasy league that drafts a player that retired last year.
    He will fix the most important o-line position, so yeah, it will make a bit of a difference. The interior will still be bad, but doing nothing isnt going to fix anything.
    Brian Cushing... "The enlarged heart and soul of the defense..." Bring on the apologists...

Comment

Originally posted by Dream'n#34 View Post

So quit is the better option, just ditch the season. Nah. Brown will come in for more money, Rick just needs to minimize it and keep it short term. One game, and everyone has got this team in the dumpster again, we've got two years to go before we have possible' help via the draft, So Rick has only one option pony up money to keep your best till you can draft better, and pay free agents to come here, no other choice if you want to field a team that can play.
      You know NOTHING about contracts or honor. You are BLINDED with disappointment and grasping at straws. It's how Jessie James got his start on his way to becoming a cold blooded killer.

There are more important things than simply winning a game by ANY MEANS POSSIBLE.

But he's POISON now and wouldn't make the team better anyway.
      Last edited by Marshall; 1 week ago.
      https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by hasbeen View Post

Why Cole Thornton .... I thought you were dead ! That's a mighty slippery slope you're on. I agree with you and feel the very same way you do. The problem is .... as patriotic as we feel, we are compelled to follow and protect the 1st amendment, because we love this country .... because it is a nation of laws ! I say this because I did not hear DB's comment, and until I hear otherwise, I am assuming that he was showing his support of free speech, and not black power. I've never met him, but in every interview I've ever seen, he came across as such a classy human being. I hope that I do not hear otherwise. " I'm lookin' at a tin star, with a ....drunk pinned on it" !
        hasbeen, thanks for noticing my return... it's football season. While I am not a constitutional authority, have you ever had a job where your employer didn't have the right to insist you held your personal political activities on "your" time. If I went to work and held a protest that my boss didn't agree with I would have been fired on the spot and my first amendment rights would have had nothing to do with it. This is the point so many are missing. Everyone has the right to express their views and hold lawful protests on their time. Once you punch the time clock you don't have the same freedoms as when you are on your own. The owners and the NFL have put up with this when they didn't have to, once again bending over backwards for a small minority even at the risk of declining popularity for the league. "Swede, I'm lookin for a gun for a man who can't shoot... call it professional courtesy"

Comment

Originally posted by cam713 View Post
          Exactly. I don't know why "fans" cry about players making business moves and not "honoring the contract," but give the teams a pass for doing shady things.
          "Shady" has nothing to do with it. These contracts are drawn up by lawyers on "both" sides and both parties agree to them. He is breaking his contract pure and simple the Texans are not!
          Can you give us one example where the Houston Texans have not lived up to Brown's contract, or for that matter with any player in the history of the team. To say a team is "shady" is BS. These are grown men, represented by agents and attorneys knowing exactly what they are getting into.

Comment

Teams is not shady. Brown is paying the penalties in his contract so in that sense no one is legally wrong. I see companies make that calculation all the time. I personally like to follow my contracts but Brown is not getting paid and got penalized and he will show up in game 9 and force the team to trade or cut him...we lose. His value will be insignificant if a team knows he is gonna get cut and therefore any team that signs him will know they have to give him a new contract with some guaranteed dollars so he gets what he wants either way.
            1. Kelly, C, 2. Henry TE, 3. Shepard WR, 4. Ward DE, 5. Burns, CB, 6. Martinez ILB 7. Hall CB

Comment

Originally posted by TexSid View Post
              Brown is paying the penalties in his contract so in that sense no one is legally wrong.
              Then why is it called a "penalty".

pen·al·ty noun
              1. 1. a punishment imposed for breaking a law, rule, or contract...
              2. 2. (in sports and games) a disadvantage or handicap imposed on a player or team, typically for infringement of rules.
              So there would be no "penalty" if what he was doing wasn't wrong. His "penalty" is for breaking his contract.
              You can break the speed limits if you're rich enough to pay the fines... doesn't make it legal.
              There is right and wrong in civil(contract law) too.
              Last edited by colethornton; 1 week ago.

Comment

Like I said companies do it all the time. They calculate the cost and decide to break a contract. Its money not love. I guess we "win" against Brown by showing him.....10 sacks. Lost game....probably lose Watson on Thursday to some horrible injury when one of our line men gets jammed into him. The Texans wrote a contract that guarded them against financial loss in case Brown held out. The guy was a stud for our team and the clear leader of the oline and we can save a few million to pay Jay Prosch to miss blocks along with Allen.

I am not happy that he held out.
                1. Kelly, C, 2. Henry TE, 3. Shepard WR, 4. Ward DE, 5. Burns, CB, 6. Martinez ILB 7. Hall CB

Comment

Like I said companies do it all the time.
                  Tex, people rob banks all the time... doesn't make it right. I gave up on people's word meaning anything years ago. Are we now to act like when a man signs a contract it means nothing. I'll be the first to admit people/companies break contracts all the time... I take issue with acting like there is no difference in keeping a contract or breaking it. Then why have contracts? Is it so the player can expect the team to live up to every detail in the contract but he can do whatever he wants?
                  Last edited by colethornton; 1 week ago.

Comment

Im old school he broke a deal and let his (Team mates down .) BIG NO NO ... He could have come to camp and probably worked something out ? His wife and agent are to blame IMO just as much as DB ...

Comment

Like I said companies do it all the time. They calculate the cost and decide to break a contract. Its money not love. I guess we "win" against Brown by showing him.....10 sacks. Lost game....probably lose Watson on Thursday to some horrible injury when one of our line men gets jammed into him. The Texans wrote a contract that guarded them against financial loss in case Brown held out. The guy was a stud for our team and the clear leader of the oline and we can save a few million to pay Jay Prosch to miss blocks along with Allen.

I am not happy that he held out.
                      What companies you know of that have employment contracts with their employees. You just simply get hired...and are glad for it. None I know of have them. I hear this all the time and it's baloney. Furthermore employees get fired all the time for issues that NFL players get away with constantly. Companies have business contracts and lawsuits are filed if they are broken. But nothing binds an employee. In fact companies generally, of course, offer bonuses because they can't hold good employees by contract.
                      Last edited by dancingbear; 1 week ago.

Comment

Duane Brown: Price gouging during a disaster?

Does anyone dispute that the Texan's O line is a disaster?

At 32 years old does anyone think 9.4 million isn't a fair salary for DB?

Is it not obvious Brown's hold out is not based on his talent but rather the desperate need of his team?

I find it rather ironic that shortly after the greatest natural disaster in our community, where companies are being scorned for selling a bottle of water for $3.5, there are those who would defend Brown when taking advantage of the dire situation his teammates are in. Now please don't think I'm trying to equate a real disaster where good people lost their lives to anything related to football I'm not. This team promoted the game Sunday as an opportunity for our community to come together after a real disaster and be entertained for a few hours and all pull together. I guess Duane Brown didn't want to be part of that. I wonder how excited he was each of the "10" times his teammate was sacked, knowing how this furthered his selfish cause.
                        One thing is for sure, it certainly didn't bother him enough to show up for work monday!

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post

You know NOTHING about contracts or honor. You are BLINDED with disappointment and grasping at straws. It's how Jessie James got his start on his way to becoming a cold blooded killer.

There are more important things than simply winning a game by ANY MEANS POSSIBLE.

But he's POISON now and wouldn't make the team better anyway.
                          Your very opinionated, I'm obviously not the one blinded by disappointment', scream all u want, I'm not hearing you, You know Jessie huh?

Comment

We need to go out and looks at any Free agents available. If I'm Rick I am bringing in Jeremy Zuttah and John Greco in for Tryouts. You have to swallow your pride and try to get Duane Brown back, yes I strongly disagree with his holdout but we badly need him so sometimes you just have to play the situation. I'm also starting Mancz at guard, he was our 2nd best lineman last year and I'm shocked that they haven't got a place for him.

A line of:
                            D Brown/Jeremy Zuttah/Nick Martin/Greg Mancz/Kendall Lamm

Suddenly the line is looking a lot better, it is still a weak spot but at least you are steadying the ship somewhat.

Comment

sigh...does it really matter anymore tho, were not making it to superbowl this year. We just need to rebuild

Comment

Part of me is like 'trade him to Seattle or Cincy for a pick' but another part of me wants to resign him because I'm worried about both our QBs getting injured

Comment

Working...
                                X