Brandon Harris at SAFETY?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houstonian
    started a topic Brandon Harris at SAFETY?

Brandon Harris at SAFETY?

Just finished watching the Kubiak press conference. He said Harris has been inactive due to the crowd at CB and they are considering moving him to safety.

Are they giving up on Keo?

• Kal El
    replied
    Originally posted by revan View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who noticed KJ shut down Megatron.
    Numbers don't lie. I think Calvin Johnson had 140 yards for the game against Houston. About 100 went in the 1st half. 2nd half when Kareem Island was on him, he was held to about 40 the rest of the way.

Leave a comment:

• revan
    replied
    Originally posted by TexSid View Post
    Wait....did I miss something? Much as I have been critical of Kjac in years past didn't he just have a very good season at CB? Didn't he effectively shutdown megatron (with S help) . I would not move him to S.. All this love for Harris -- a guy that coudn;t even break into ST last season seems kinda odd.

Harris is a dime back and will see time this year since it is hard to imagine everyone staying healthy all the time.
    Glad I'm not the only one who noticed KJ shut down Megatron.

Leave a comment:

• CaseKeenum
    replied
    Brandon Harris will make the team this year unless they draft a steal of a CB and don't have room for Brandon on the roster. I still think he has more potential than Demps or Keo as a backup safety if they could manage to convert him. I thought he made some good plays this year. Had a good game against the Bengals and forced a fumble vs the Patriots.

I'm not of the belief that if a player can't make it on the field in the first few years of his career that he's just a lost project or complete garbage. We saw last year that he's at the very least serviceable, and that's what we need from a backup at this point. Still, it is hard to accept that a player we traded up for in the draft is still a backup after 2 years in the league, but I think it speaks more about the talent we have at that position in front of him than to his deficits.

Leave a comment:

• RedTexans
    replied
    Originally posted by TexSid View Post
    Wait....did I miss something? Much as I have been critical of Kjac in years past didn't he just have a very good season at CB? Didn't he effectively shutdown megatron (with S help) . I would not move him to S.. All this love for Harris -- a guy that coudn;t even break into ST last season seems kinda odd.

Harris is a dime back and will see time this year since it is hard to imagine everyone staying healthy all the time.
    This Whole Thread is Silly... Harris will be lucky to even make the team this year. The Texans need to admit he was a wasted 2nd round pick...

Leave a comment:

• TexSid
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gcates
    replied
    I could definitely see a solid justification for the experiment, but at the same time I like the guy getting reps as the backup nickel corner in the event that Brice McCain goes down. Still, if they tried it out, it wouldn't be some insane decision, especially considering the successful transition that Glover Quin made...there is history there.

Leave a comment:

• CaseKeenum
    replied
    I'd love to agree with you guys but...

Brian Urlacher played outside linebacker and safety in college (as well as a little WR lol), running a 4.57 at his combine. Yet he became one of the best middle linebackers ever in the pros.

Sometimes players who are really good at some positions find out that they are great at a similar position.

I wouldn't mind to see Brandon Harris transition to safety if it means he's on the field more, which would likely have to be the case since we resigned Brice McCain, and we're now getting Ed Reed. Brandon Harris is one of those players that REALLY wants to be on the field. If beating out Quintin "3rd and 23? Yawn." Demps would mean more playing time, I'm sure he'd be all for trying. I don't think he'll beat out Brice McCain for the 3rd CB spot this year, so it might be his only option if he wants more playing time. What I really don't want to happen is another 2011 where we rarely saw him.

Leave a comment:

• solidgryffin
    replied
    Originally posted by pistolpete View Post
    Are we really to the point where we're having to flip guys into new positions in an offseason? Brandon Harris couldnt smell the field, I dont care what Kubes says. If he was good enough then he'd be out there. We're also wanting B.Reed to move inside? Jeez!! How about we get guys that actually know the position we want them to play. Its being done by all of the other teams.
    I totally agree with this.
    why would the texans think you can play a completely different position in the pros better than the position you played in college?
    harris does not deserve to be on this roster at all at any position if he cannot crack the starting line up in 2 years as a 2nd rnd draft pick.
    he should have been starting 2 years ago as a rookie if the front office seriously thought he was a decent draft pick.

Leave a comment:

• doublehawk
    replied
    Originally posted by pistolpete View Post
    Are we really to the point where we're having to flip guys into new positions in an offseason? Brandon Harris couldnt smell the field, I dont care what Kubes says. If he was good enough then he'd be out there. We're also wanting B.Reed to move inside? Jeez!! How about we get guys that actually know the position we want them to play. Its being done by all of the other teams.
    Agree with you to a point. You saw how Glover Quin reacted to moving from cornerback to safety. How do we know Harris can't do that? They discussed it last season so this could be a realization....

Leave a comment:

• pistolpete
    replied

Leave a comment:

• doublehawk
    replied
    Originally posted by HazeyMatt View Post
    It could work playing him at safety.
    I dont think he could be an in the box type of S but definitely a ball hawk deep.
    Put on a little weight and he'd be good to go but we'd still have to invest in one in the draft because Keo shouldnt be allowed on D
    This.

I could see him playing free safety with his ball hawking skills. Manning can be an in the box type safety if need be. I think Harris would give us a new element back there. Quin wasn't really a ball hawk. I think that could evolve our defensive backfield. Then again, he has no experience back there so this is just wishful thinking....

Leave a comment:

• HazeyMatt
    replied
    It could work playing him at safety.
    I dont think he could be an in the box type of S but definitely a ball hawk deep.
    Put on a little weight and he'd be good to go but we'd still have to invest in one in the draft because Keo shouldnt be allowed on D

Leave a comment:

• AngryNateFTW
    replied
    I don't know about that. It's possible but if we want to put him at Safety we still need to prepare through the draft..

A list of potential safeties..

1. Jonathan Cyprien
    2. Shawn Williams
    3. Bacarri Rambo
    4. Shamarko Thomas
    5. Jordan Kovacs (out of Michigan) - He was one of their playmakers on defense. Extremely underrated.
    6. Luke Anderson S Wyoming - Unknown until today. Ran a 4.24 while on campus but clocked in today at Pro Day at 4.47. Plays with a mean streak and if you turn on the San Diego State tape in 2011, he best'd Gavin Escobar. It's funny to see a 5'9 Safety slam down a 6'5 TE. Not to mention he was covering him VERY VERY well. Definitely on my radar now. A white Bob Sanders. (Joke, of course but is a very solid athlete)

Leave a comment:

• Rossinator
    replied
    Can he? Yes
    Will he? I doubt it.
    They will sign a veteran safety (Reed or someone else) and draft someone. We lost Allan 'where's the' ball. I think Harris takes over his role as the back up to JJo, Kjax, McCain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X