No announcement yet.

Rick Smith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember that Casserly happened when McNair brought in Dan Reeves as an outside consultant. Now, RS sits next to him at games and acts as the Reeves character. I've often said he should be promoted to president and then taken out of day to day football decision making. That way, he can sit next to him at games and levy an opinion without massaging it to keep his job.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Barzilla View Post
      Remember that Casserly happened when McNair brought in Dan Reeves as an outside consultant. Now, RS sits next to him at games and acts as the Reeves character. I've often said he should be promoted to president and then taken out of day to day football decision making. That way, he can sit next to him at games and levy an opinion without massaging it to keep his job.
      Seeing that just might be how Brock got here, that is a great idea. Only issue is I don't think McNair knows that much about football or scouting. So seeing he trusts Smith (for whatever reason) I don't see him making that type move just yet. With Smith in control over personal and the draft, in order to get "reassigned" I think he would have to 100% blow the draft. And if that happens OB loses too. Without the players he needs he can't get have a draft go by that one or two players aren't good. This season is vital seeing while they waited for Romo multiple key players walked. They have to replace them or say 1/2.
      JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

• With the release of Bergstrom who was at least depth on the O-line and letting 4 starters walk so far , Im wondering ? Is RS trying to make it as hard on OB as he possibly can ? We know he wanted Lovie over OB so is he trying to kibosh OB with reduction of positional talent ? To maybe get OB booted so he can get Lovie in here to really demolish this Squad ? I dont consider this a Conspiracy just look at whats not happening and ask why . Yes the drafts coming but OB doesnt like to put Rookies in right away so something to consider imo .

Comment

• Originally posted by methos838 View Post
          With the release of Bergstrom who was at least depth on the O-line and letting 4 starters walk so far , Im wondering ? Is RS trying to make it as hard on OB as he possibly can ? We know he wanted Lovie over OB so is he trying to kibosh OB with reduction of positional talent ? To maybe get OB booted so he can get Lovie in here to really demolish this Squad ? I dont consider this a Conspiracy just look at whats not happening and ask why . Yes the drafts coming but OB doesnt like to put Rookies in right away so something to consider imo .
          Imagine RS having to wade through all this bs that his HC has to. rS's only worry is whether to pull out the 8 or 6 iron. Dude is a freaking loser mid pack GM.

Comment

• Keep in mind that if OB is gone then one more layer is cover is gone. If he gets his coach then there are no more excuses. I say he moves upstairs after that coach fails.
            sigpic

Comment

• It kinda seems like RS is the real life Rachel Phelps from the movie Major Leage.

Comment

With the release of Bergstrom who was at least depth on the O-line and letting 4 starters walk so far , Im wondering ? Is RS trying to make it as hard on OB as he possibly can ? We know he wanted Lovie over OB so is he trying to kibosh OB with reduction of positional talent ? To maybe get OB booted so he can get Lovie in here to really demolish this Squad ? I dont consider this a Conspiracy just look at whats not happening and ask why . Yes the drafts coming but OB doesnt like to put Rookies in right away so something to consider imo .

Lol come Methos this man is not trying to sabotage Bill O'Brien's coaching career here in Houston. Say big brother we think way too deep around here. Bergstrom was a big disappointment. Dude is replaceable.
                sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will 51 View Post

i interpreted his post as implying that over the past 10 years the Texans have a total of 3 Wild Card playoff wins to show under his tenure.
                  Wasn't that three more than under Casserly?
                  https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

• Originally posted by Marshall View Post

Wasn't that three more than under Casserly?
                    Yes it was. Unfortunately, by your question you don't appear to understand that someone presiding over a mere 3 wildcard wins during his tenure of overseeing an established franchise is woefully worse that someone who didn't have any post-season wins during the first five years of overseeing the same expansion team's launch. In today's NFL, it would be a tall order to take an expansion team to the playoffs in 3 of its first 5 years, so it would have been tough for Casserly to match the current GM's record.

However, we now know that there will be at least one satisfied fan if the Texans only win another 3 wild card games through 2026.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will 51 View Post

Yes it was. Unfortunately, by your question you don't appear to understand that someone presiding over a mere 3 wildcard wins during his tenure of overseeing an established franchise is woefully worse that someone who didn't have any post-season wins during the first five years of overseeing the same expansion team's launch. In today's NFL, it would be a tall order to take an expansion team to the playoffs in 3 of its first 5 years, so it would have been tough for Casserly to match the current GM's record.

However, we now know that there will be at least one satisfied fan if the Texans only win another 3 wild card games through 2026.
                      You have pessimism down to an art. I'm a bit more optimistic.
                      https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

1 word: Brock

OB never met or spoke to him until he was signed. You can look it up. You always say "that's speculation" or similar. I agree with you it is, if it's only from 1-3 sources and you have to dig to locate the articles. But when it's published by trustworthy reporters and sources close to the team, not to mention reported by a few hundred different sources. Then logic alone tells you that it has merit.

Originally posted by methos838 View Post
                        OB on the strength of 3 9-7 years with nobody at QB is probably safe until his contract is up. However, after that if McNair has not given him more control over the roster I think he will walk...even if offered a contract. He has shown he can do well with next to nothing, multiple NFL owners and GMs I'm sure would love to see how well he is with the GM working with him and building the team and mindset of a winner. I can think of 2-3 teams now that would no doubt consider it.

Originally posted by methos838 View Post
                        I have been thinking about that too. If OB got fired then McNair would probably get Smiths input on a HC. He didn't last time and Smith wanted Lovie badly. He was also the one who went and got Brock and dropped him in OBs lap. So, it is a very interesting question. He is not a fan of OB at all and reports indicate that they have had issues with each other.

EDIT- I quoted 3 different people and it repeated the same quote 3 times. Hope you can understand it

Comment

• This explains why Smith can be blamed for situations like Brock and other issues like not drafting a QB.
                          ------------------------------------
                          Taken from article link below comment:

Smith, who oversees all personnel decisions, had one year left on his second contract with the Texans, so his extension will take him through the 2020 draft.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron...ct-8658177.php

And this is why some misunderstand how much power and lack of power Smith and OB has.

https://www.google.com/amp/profootba...-showdown/amp/

Comment

• Pulling this quote from another thread because I didn't want to change the topic of that thread to Rick Smith.

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

Tried to add humor to it, but that sounds about how we got Brock. McNair needs to give OB more control over personal. Not just here are 90 guys Smith picked now you can mix and match till you have the 53 you like or can live with.
                            Before you start talking about a powershift and taking the coach's focus away from coaching, maybe we should look at the people Rick Smith has working for him. One of which is Brian Gaine.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-brian-gaine/

In a perfect world, Rick Smith would find a different position / job. I don't see that happening, but that doesn't spell never ending mediocrity to me. Smith can maintain his power as head of the front office and delegate to Gaine. Put more on his plate, give him more responsibility and hold him accountable.

This idea that two adults can't find a way to work together is silly. This propaganda that Rick Smith is embattled against OB is also silly. They are both professionals at the highest level -- I assure you they can find away to work together. I'm sure they butt heads occasionally (Brock, Ryan Mallet, Maybe even the Clowney pick) please name two alpha males that don't butt heads when asked to work together for an extended period of time?

I agree with the sentiment that Smith is not an ideal GM for OBs system, but disagree wholeheartedly that chosing one (likely Smith) spells an exit for the other. It may be wishful thinking, but it's what I'm clinging to, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post
                              In a perfect world, Rick Smith would find a different position / job...
                              If Rick/McNairs would add another GM level mind to the front office mix -- like ATL, KC, SF, NE, and many other orgs have done -- that would solve a lot of problems, imo.

Right now it's Billy on one side and Smith, Cal McNair, and Bob McNair on the other. All of the football smarts in the room gets outvoted 1-3.

This propaganda that Rick Smith is embattled against OB is also silly.
                              Perhaps, but it is true. Those two are opposites in so many ways.
                              I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Comment

• Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

If Rick/McNairs would add another GM level mind to the front office mix -- like ATL, KC, SF, NE, and many other orgs have done -- that would solve a lot of problems, imo.

Right now it's Billy on one side and Smith, Cal McNair, and Bob McNair on the other. All of the football smarts in the room gets outvoted 1-3.
                                I agree with most of what you say, I just hope the outcome is different.

I think O'Brien working with Gaine can push change from the bottom up on Rick's side so there's no disagreement at all. Either through Gaine slowly (over the course of 3 years now?) educating Smith on which players work and which don't, and why.. OR if Gaine's track record is solid enough, he earns a vote of confidence from his boss and has a little more leverage.

I understand that Gaine is employed by Smith, and that's where his allegiances lay.. but ultimately, the goal is to get players that you stood on the table for to perform well on the team. I think Gaine understands the best way to do that is to work with OB and get his players. The more players he can get Rick to draft, the better chances of him parlaying that relationship into a promotion on another team.

A lot of "Ifs" and speculation from someone that has no first hand knowledge of these relationships, but it's one of the few ways I can see OB sticking around so I'm hitchin my wagon to it, lol.
                                Last edited by SteelBluCurtain; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X