No announcement yet.

DeAndre Hopkins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best way to get Hopkins free more is put him some bunch formations, put him in motion, and let him operate out of the slot. This will eliminate the jam at the line of scrimmage.
    sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

• Houston Texans houstontexans
      Deandre Hopkins now has the most receiving yards by any #Texans receiver in his first four seasons.
      Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

• Deandre Hopkins @Nukdabomb
        Dam I love my coach!
        Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
        Q: What do you think happened to WR DeAndre Hopkins last season that didn’t allow him to put up big numbers?

Bill O'Brien: “...yeah the production dropped off a little bit but it wasn’t anything that he did.”
        Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
          The best way to get Hopkins free more is put him some bunch formations, put him in motion, and let him operate out of the slot. This will eliminate the jam at the line of scrimmage.
          I'm not sure you really need to get him free, you just need a qb that can throw a catchable ball for him. But I agree with your points and also think that would help to get him more involved. I like using motion to lure the defense away from the play. I do not like the way the Texans put a guy in motion and 90% of the time the ball goes to the guy in motion where the defense just shifted to. I'd like to see a 50/50 split of using motion to deflect attention and draw defenders away from the line of attack. I think bunch formations would work as long as it isn't the WR screen that has been abysmal at best even though we did run it better this season than last. I'm not sure a slot guy will get a free run but I think moving Hopkins around and letting him work the middle would be a good addition to his game.
          Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
          TexansCap.com

Comment

• Texans' DeAndre Hopkins says Brock Osweiler will prove critics wrong

By John McClain
            Receiver DeAndre Hopkins had nothing but good things to say Friday about former Texans quarterback Brock Osweiler.

After one season in Houston, Osweiler was traded to Cleveland on Thursday, leaving the Texans with two quarterbacks, Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden.

"Brock was a great teammate," Hopkins said after an appearance at Wisdom High School, where he spoke to students about domestic violence. "I wish him the best.

"He has a lot that he can prove in this league. I know he's going to prove everybody wrong."

The Texans are in the market for another quarterback, possibly Tony Romo. They're also expected to use a high draft choice on a quarterback. As it stands now, Savage is first on the depth chart and would have been even if Osweiler had remained on the roster.

"Savage has a lot of motivation right now, from injuries to being the backup to getting his chance," Hopkins said. "If there's one guy in that locker room I can say is hungry to play football, it's him for sure.

"Everybody has confidence in Tom. We've seen what he can do in the offseason and when he was healthy, how he worked when he was the starter. When he got his chance, he won the game for us (Jacksonville). That didn't surprise anybody in the locker room."

Hopkins was asked about the possibility of playing with Romo.

"I don't really think about those possibilities," he said. "The way I think is how I'm going to become a better player to help my team next season.

"(General manager) Rick Smith is one of the best in the game. He knows his job. I have no doubt that they'll do what's best for the Texans organization."

Hopkins is expected to get a contract extension this season. He's got one year left on his deal. There's nothing imminent.

"That's up to my agency, CAA, and the Texans," he said. "It's up to the Texans and CAA as to when they get a contract done. The only thing I can do is to be prepared to help my team.

"This is a great city. I love the fans here. I don't worry about money or contract talk. To me, it's about winning."

During his appearance at Wisdom High School, Hopkins told the students how his father died when he was 6 months and how his mother suffered after acid was thrown in her face.

Hopkins spends a lot of time speaking to kids about domestic violence and other issues.

"This means a lot," he said. "This platform I have (allows me to) touch kids like this. It's special to me to come here and these kids listen to me. Part of being a player is trying to affect the community you're in and helping people. If there's one kid I can help, I feel like I did my job.

"My family stuck together. My mom made sure all her kids went to college. My mother got the courage to speak to hundreds of people about her story. I knew if she could do it I could do it, too."

Comment

• DHop sent a message to AJ after he left for Jax.

"I hope you are covering me this year because Ramsey couldn't"

Challenge I see
              JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

• Hopkins delivers powerful message

DeAndre Hopkins usually lets his big plays on the football field do all the talking for him. Last week, the Texans Pro Bowl wide receiver opened up about a personal experience in a way he has never done before.

Standing before a large assembly of students at Wisdom High School, Hopkins spoke about the lasting effects of domestic abuse.

“I’m 24 years old,” Hopkins said. “I’ve been playing sports since I was eight years old. At the age of 12, my mother was physically assaulted and left blind, left for dead.”

Hopkins went on to recount the story about the arguments he recalled between his mother and her boyfriend. His mother became the victim of a horrific attack, where another woman dating the same man threw acid on her face. The woman received 20 years in jail as punishment and Hopkins’ mother, despite , extensive skin grafts and treatment, sustained permanent damage.

“It left her blind in both eyes,” Hopkins said. “So, since the age of 12, my mother has never seen me play a football game or a basketball game. Domestic violence is something that’s deeper than just the word domestic violence to some.”

Hopkins emphasized the importance of not only recognizing signs of abuse, whether physical or verbal, but for students to report any behavior that seemed out of the ordinary. By sharing his experience, he hoped others would see the long-term impact of domestic abuse.

"It’s an ongoing battle, but we’ve overcome it and we still have got a lot to do in life," Hopkins said. "All of you all in here, it might not hit you. It might not be your family that’s in a domestic violence relationship. It might be the next-door neighbors that you hear arguing everyday. I know you all are young and you all like to go by the rule, ‘No snitching’ but it’s really not about that. It’s deeper than that. It’s about somebody being affected long-term.”

Hopkins spoke to the students on behalf of AVDA (Aid to Victims of Domestic Abuse), a Houston-area organization that provides free legal aid and counseling to victims of abuse. His partnership with AVDA began last year, when Hopkins pledged $1,000 for each touchdown he scored in October, which was Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Comment

• What might a DeAndre Hopkins contract extension look like?

By Aaron Wilson
                  DeAndre Hopkins' steady production and acrobatic ability to snag passes through the air have earned him a reputation as one of the top wide receivers in the NFL.

The Texans' Pro Bowl receiver is expected to eventually cash in with a blockbuster contract this offseason. The timing and how rich that deal ultimately will be remains to be determined.

No deal is imminent for Hopkins, but it's something that's expected to happen eventually. Not that he seems worried about it at all.

"I'm out here focusing on making this team better," Hopkins said. "I'm still under contract. So, I don't know. When you grow up how I grew up – with nothing – anything that you have is a lot. So, I'm blessed to even be here and I'm fortunate to be in this situation – to have what I have right now."

The most significant wide receiver deal of this offseason was signed by Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown. Brown received a four-year, $68 million deal that included a $19 million signing bonus for an average annual salary of $17 million.

The financial stratosphere for a wide receiver like Hopkins is a rich neighborhood, including upper echelon deals for the Atlanta Falcons' Julio Jones (five years, $71.256 million, $12 million signing bonus, $47 million guaranteed), the Dallas Cowboys' Dez Bryant (five years, $70 million, $20 million signing bonus, $45 million guaranteed) and the Broncos' Demaryius Thomas (five years, $70 million, $11 million signing bonus, $43.5 million guaranteed).

Plus, Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green is playing under a $70.181 million contract that included $60 million in new money in a four-year contract extension that featured a $15 million signing bonus.

"Fortunately for Houston, nobody really moved the receiver market in a meaningful way this offseason," said former NFL agent Joel Corry, who writes about the business of football for CBS Sports. "Hopkins will probably get paid eventually in the same tier as Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas. He may want a little more because of how the Antonio Brown deal came in. There's usually a trickle-down effect, but nobody really benefited from it at the receiver position during free agency."

Hopkins is entering a fifth-year option season and is due $7.915 million this season.

Texans general manager Rick Smith said this offseason the Texans plan to sign Hopkins to a long-term deal.

"When that happens is up for debate, but he's definitely in our plans," Smith said. "He's an excellent young football player and we certainly want to continue to build around him."

Comment

• Agent's Take: These 10 stars could sign extensions before the 2017 season starts

by Joel Corry
                    NFL teams have started devoting more attention to signing players in a contract year to extensions since the NFL Draft has taken place. The Browns have gotten the ball rolling with linebacker Christian Kirksey. He received a four-year, $38 million extension with $20 million in guarantees. Signings during the summer and leading up to the start of the regular season took players that would have been franchise tag candidates or highly sought after in free agency off the market last year. These players included Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, Saints quarterback Drew Brees, Cardinals defensive back Tyrann Mathieu, Eagles defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, Vikings safety Harrison Smith, Packers offensive tackle David Bakhtiari, Seahawkswide receiver Doug Baldwin and Lions cornerback Darius Slay.

An emerging trend is for teams to sign first-round picks with fifth-year options to extensions with two years remaining on their contracts. Five 2013 first-round picks (Tavon Austin, Travis Frederick, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, and Kyle Long) received extremely early extensions in 2016.

Early contract extensions can allow teams to lock up very good to great players for a number of years at more affordable rates than if their contracts had expired. For example, the Texans got a great value with three-time NFL Defensive Player of Year J.J. Watt by extending his contract in 2014 when there were two years remaining on his rookie deal, which included a fifth-year option for $6.969 million in 2015.

Watt's six-year, $100 million extension made him the NFL's highest-paid non-quarterback and contained $51,876,385 million in guarantees, which set a record for defensive players at the time. Both benchmarks have since been eclipsed. Watt is currently the seventh highest-paid non-quarterback (by average yearly salary) and ranks ninth in overall contract guarantees among defensive players. He is going to continue dropping down the list in these contract metrics, since his deal expires after the 2021 season.

If Watt had played his fourth NFL season in 2014 under his rookie deal, the Texans would have been forced to pay him more than Ndamukong Suh, who signed a six-year, $114.375 million contract averaging $19,062,500 per year with the Dolphins in 2015 as a free agent, or face the prospect of using an exclusive franchise tag on him last offseason.

Here are 10 players that could sign contract extensions prior to the start of the regular season.

DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Texans

General manager Rick Smith expressed his desire to re-sign Hopkins when addressing the media at the NFL combine in early March. The 2013 first-round pick probably feels a new contract is long overdue. He staged a one-day holdout when training camp opened last year protesting the Texans' refusal to negotiate an extension before his fourth year, which was done with 2011 and 2012 first-round picks Watt and Whitney Mercilus.

Hopkins never developed chemistry with big-money free-agent passer Brock Osweiler in 2016, and it showed statistically. He caught 78 passes for 954 yards with four touchdowns. This was after arguably having the most impressive 2015 season of any wide receiver (111 catches, 1,521 yards, 11 touchdowns) considering he had a bunch of mediocre at best quarterbacks (Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, Brandon Weeden and T.J. Yates) throwing to him.

The down year won't prevent Hopkins from seeking elite wide receiver money. Although Antonio Brown reset the wide receiver market in February with a four-year extension averaging $17 million per year, a new deal is more likely to put Hopkins in the same salary stratosphere as Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones and A.J. Green. These deals, which were signed in 2015, average between $14 million and $15 million per year. With the exception of Green, the players received between $43.5 million and $47 million of guarantees in their contracts.

Comment

• Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL
                      DeAndre Hopkins 'I love playing for this team'

DeAndre Hopkins on future with Texans, contract, says talks between team and his agent 'The city has embraced me. I love being here'
                      As expected, talks going well.

Comment

• Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
                        DeAndre Hopkins, who did not report to camp on time last year due to desire for new deal, will report with rest of Texans on Mon, per source

Comment

• Spotrac -- DeAndre Hopkins Calculated Market Value

WIDE RECEIVER
                          Exp: 4 Years
                          Drafted: Round 1 (#27 overall), 2013 College: Clemson
                          Agent(s): Todd France (CAA Sports)
                          • Calculated Market Value

$15.2MAVG. ANNUAL SALARY
                            • 4 yrs, $61,099,224
                            • Avg. Salary: $15,274,806
                            • NFL Rank: #36
                            • WR Rank: #2
                            Current Contract
                            • Free Agent: 2018
                            • Avg. Salary: $1,906,676
                            • NFL Rank: #686
                            • WR Rank: #
                          • COMPARABLE PLAYERS

The first step in evaluating is to identify players of the same position, with similar playing time/opportunity, who signed a contract around Hopkins's current age.
                            PLAYER LENGTH VALUE AVG. SALARY AGE WHEN SIGNED
                            T.Y. Hilton 5 $65,000,000 $13,000,000 25
                            A.J. Green 4 $60,000,000 $15,000,000 27
                            Julio Jones 5 $71,256,045 $14,251,209 26
                            Antonio Brown 4 $68,000,000 $17,000,000 28
                            AVERAGES 4.5 $66,064,011 $14,680,891 26.5
                            BASE CALCULATED VALUE

After adjusting the above contracts to match Hopkins's current age, we're provided with the following initial value.
                            LENGTH VALUE AVG. SALARY
                            4 $60,576,535 $15,144,134
                            STATISTICAL COMPARISONS

Now we'll compare our variables and Hopkins statistically over the two seasons prior to their signing.
                            PLAYER GP % REC TGT/GM REC/GM REC TD/GM REC YDS/GM DROPPED PASSES AVG RATING
                            T.Y. Hilton2013-2014, IND 97.3 8.92 5.33 0.39 82.39 0.47 83.65
                            A.J. Green2013-2014, CIN 88.24 10.1 5.67 0.57 83.37 0.5 82
                            Julio Jones2013-2014, ATL 62.5 11.1 7.25 0.4 108.65 0.65 85.45
                            Antonio Brown2015-2016, PIT 94.59 11.09 7.63 0.69 101.31 0.31 92.65
                            AVERAGES 85.66 10.30 6.47 0.51 93.93 0.48 85.94
                            DeAndre Hopkins2015-2016 100 10.63 5.89 0.46 76.46 0.31 85.3
                            % CHANGE 16.74% 3.20% -8.96% -9.80% -18.60% 35.42% -0.74%
                            MEDIAN PRIME % CHANGE -0.74%
                            AVERAGE PRIME % CHANGE 2.47%
                            DEANDRE HOPKINS'S CALCULATED MARKET VALUE

After applying our Prime % figures into our base calculated value, we're given two values. The average of these values becomes our current calculated market value.
                            TERMS AVG. SALARY
                            4 years, $61,099,224 15,274,806
                          Last edited by H2O4me; 1 hour ago.

Comment

Working...
                          X