Jonathan Joseph

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonathan Joseph

After a rough start to the season, JJo has turned his season around into one deserving of Pro Bowl consideration.

He ranks 10th/117 CBs overall by Pro Football Focus (>25% team snaps) and 4th/117 in coverage.

His late game tackle against the Colt's Griff Whalen not only induced a game clinching FG, it also put Whalen on IR with broken ribs.

Teammates irked by Johnathan Joseph's Pro Bowl snub
    Houston Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph hopes he'll be busy in the playoffs at the end of January during the Pro Bowl.

That he wasn't selected to the game disappointed his teammates, though.

"I think it's wack," Texans cornerback Charles James II said. "I think it's completely wack because J Joe is playing at the highest level right now of any corner in this football league. He's going out, he's covering the best receiver man up. Not all that zone stuff, to whoever that goes for. He's playing man up. Straight up man-to-man corner. He's playing good ball."

The Pro Bowl cornerbacks are Broncos corners Aqib Talib and Chris Harris Jr., Jets corner Darrelle Revis, Chiefs corner Marcus Peters, Seahawks corner Richard Sherman, Patriots corner Malcolm Butler, Panthers corner Josh Norman and Cardinals corner Patrick Peterson.

"Joe definitely had a great year," cornerback Kareem Jackson said. "Everybody in the organization, we thought he should've got in. All the guys that did they definitely had a great year as well. But at the end of the day I guess they can't pick everybody."

Joseph has been tasked with handling opponents' top receivers. He has one interception and one forced fumble this season. Only three receivers this season have eclipsed 100 yards against the Texans.

"He doesn't have as many picks as other people but he's playing at the highest level," James said. "I'm not saying that because he's my teammate and I'm biased. I'm saying that because of what I watch on film. And I've seen other corners. That's why I respect other corners out there. A lot of corners out there who are in the Pro Bowl, who are playing man, too. Aqib Talib, playing great football. Playing man up there in Denver. I respect those guys. I don't give a **** if they have to make a new slot and make another slot and put J Joe in, he should be in. It's whatever. I think it's a popularity contest."

Joseph was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2012 and 2013. While he appreciates his teammates' outrage, he values the position the Texans are in right now.

"From a competitive standpoint yeah I do," Joseph said, when asked if he thought he should have been selected. "That wasn't really on my mind. I got some texts about it last night. I didn't really watch (the selection show). For me it was just about ... when January comes around I hope I won't have a chance to play in that game, I'll be playing for something bigger. That's really what my focus is now."
    If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

In what world does a cb with one int deserve to get voted into the pro bowl?

Try to be objective or else you just look uninformed.
    Brian Cushing... "The enlarged heart and soul of the defense..." Bring on the apologists...

Comment

Originally posted by TexansRock80 View Post

Dude. You need to reevaluate life. JJO might have only 1 int and 1 forced fumble, but he has been absolutely lights out. He has shut down some great receivers. His forced fumble last week all but sealed Houton's first ever victory in Indianapolis. He deserves it man. Period!
      ~Your Weekly Game Thread Creator~

GO TEXANS!!!

Comment

In a world where people value performance... like 2015:
        2015 Pro Bowlers
        Code:
        Richard Sherman   
        TCKL SCK  FF    INT
        44   0.0  0      2

Patrick Peterson   
        30   0.0  1      2

Chris Harris   
        52   0.0  2      2

Malcolm Butler   
        60   0.0  0      2
        Code:
        Johnathan Joseph  

TCKL SCK  FF    INT
        57   0.0  1      1
        Try to keep up or else you just look uninformed.

Comment

Originally posted by OB4me View Post
          In a world where people value performance... like 2015:
          2015 Pro Bowlers
          Code:
          Richard Sherman   
          TCKL SCK  FF    INT
          44   0.0  0      2

Patrick Peterson   
          30   0.0  1      2

Chris Harris   
          52   0.0  2      2

Malcolm Butler   
          60   0.0  0      2
          Code:
          Johnathan Joseph  

TCKL SCK  FF    INT
          57   0.0  1      1
          Try to keep up or else you just look uninformed.
          So JJO has stats that say he is better then the current probowlers. Good stuff. In your face TexansRock80!
          ~Your Weekly Game Thread Creator~

GO TEXANS!!!

Comment

if you are covering well enough, they dont throw at you often enough for you to make many INTs
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post
              if you are covering well enough, they dont throw at you often enough for you to make many INTs
              This.
              1. Kelly, C, 2. Henry TE, 3. Shepard WR, 4. Ward DE, 5. Burns, CB, 6. Martinez ILB 7. Hall CB

Comment

Originally posted by JamTex View Post
                So JJO has stats that say he is better then the current probowlers. Good stuff. In your face TexansRock80!
                TBH, I wouldn't say 'better'... just 'in the conversation'.

Pro Bowl fan voting makes it more of a popularity contest, imo.

Comment

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
                  Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph said he had a minor scope in his right knee this offseason. Joseph said the procedure was so minor he never even needed crutches. It helped deal with some wear and tear issues.
                  Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
                  Johnathan Joseph says he had a scope on his right knee a couple of weeks ago and he's "already running. Normal cleanup procedure."

Last edited by H2O4me; 05-10-2016, 06:37 PM.

Comment

H2O4me,
                    You do a jam up job feeding us all this info. Definitely appreciate the effort!!

Comment

Thats awesome! Staying healthy.. ready for the Playoffs!
                      sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

I guess JJo discovered the issue recently. I always wonder why some guys get surgery so late.

Originally posted by mmtex63 View Post
                        H2O4me,
                        You do a jam up job feeding us all this info. Definitely appreciate the effort!!
                        Sure.

Comment

Least JJo commits to being physical again as a CB......... THERE AINT NO TURNING AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Earl Thomas the III is the epitome of 2ndary physicality. JJo is the opposite and avoids contact as much a possible.

The old Joseph is gone. With Bouye, Rolle and Rogers (49er FA) on the wings last year I wonder why they extended him. We had the chance top get bigger and physical.

Given JJo's size he needs to be physical to thrive in this league. Now we just got a small guy whose about to lose his speed and wont challenge WR.

Anyways just my opinion none of you get you panties on a bunch please .
                          THE Anti troll

Comment

Originally posted by MachineToss View Post
                            Least JJo commits to being physical again as a CB......... THERE AINT NO TURNING AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Earl Thomas the III is the epitome of 2ndary physicality. JJo is the opposite and avoids contact as much a possible.

The old Joseph is gone. With Bouye, Rolle and Rogers (49er FA) on the wings last year I wonder why they extended him. We had the chance top get bigger and physical.

Given JJo's size he needs to be physical to thrive in this league. Now we just got a small guy whose about to lose his speed and wont challenge WR.

Anyways just my opinion none of you get you panties on a bunch please .
                            Darn, picked the wrong day to go commando. Lol

I agree, I'm sure we'll draft a cb next year with a stronger cb draft class.

Comment

Football 101: Josephís 2015 success
                              John Harris|Texans Analyst
                              Eleven months ago, the Texans gave a contract extension to one of the more underrated players in the NFL, cornerback Johnathan Joseph. It caught many by surprise when it happened because Joseph still had a year left on his earlier deal. It wasnít surprising, though, given the fact that he had a strong bounce-back year in 2014 after nagging injuries impacted his play in 2013.

Similar to the teamís start in 2015, he did struggle a bit out of the gate, but by Week 3 against Tampa Bay and Mike Evans, he was back playing at a Pro Bowl level. He had five passes defensed in that game and helped hold Evans, the star second-year receiver for the Bucs, in check. Evans was targeted 17 times, his second-most targets all year, and caught only seven of them and no touchdowns.

From that game forward, he was outstanding the rest of the season. He didnít have a ton of interceptions, but he was fourth in the entire league in passes defensed with 22 (passes defensed = interceptions pass breakups). But, he also made timely plays that were huge in the biggest games. Ask any Texans player about 2015 and two games invariably pop up - Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Against Cincinnati, Joseph had his only pick of the year on a deep post down the middle of the field. Against Indianapolis, he jarred the ball loose from Colts wide receiver Griff Whalen late in the fourth quarter for a key turnover to break the will of the Colts in that historic win.

Examining the top 10 players in passes defensed, one aspect sticks out more than any other. The average age of the nine other players in the top 10 was under 25. Joseph turned 32 in April. This is a young manís game, more specifically, itís a young manís position. Yet, not only is Joseph starting and playing the position heading into his 11th season, heís playing it as well as any cornerback in the game, if not better.

He doesnít cultivate a new persona from game to game. He doesnít have a catchy nickname. He doesnít punctuate a great play with a signature celebration. And, perhaps, thatís what keeps him from getting the acclaim that he deserves. But, he balls out, every play, every game and I love to see teams challenge him because youíre not getting much going at him.

Why has he been so successful? Amongst the many plays that he made the past few years, a couple stood out that helped illustrate how he thrived in 2015.
                              Play 1
                              At Tennessee, Week 16
                              3rd down
                              12 personnel (one back, two TE) - motion to 3x1 set.

The Titans faced a third down situation and aligned in a 3x1 set Ė wide receiver Dorial Green Beckham is out of the end zone shot, to the left side of the offensive formation. Weíll see him in a bit.

The Titans have a mesh concept with crossing routes from each side - DGB from the left and tight end Anthony Fasano from the right side. Joseph is aligned on the lone receiver side (Fasanoís side).

As the ball is snapped, Fasano immediately started back across the formation.

This is where an inexperienced cornerback in zone can get lazy and undisciplined. Theyíll float or look in the backfield or even drop too deep in coverage. Joseph, though, immediately got his eyes to the other side of the formation. He got depth in his drop, knowing that either Kendall Wright or Green-Beckham could run a deep over route or a crossing route and he knew he had to stay on top of that route and in proper position.

At this point, Joseph settled down realizing that DGB was the only receiver that could threaten his zone.

This to me, though, was the most impressive part of the entire play. His play recognition and understanding put him in position to do this, but 10 years playing cornerback has taught him things. He didnít immediately dart to DGB when he recognized the play. He waited back, just a bit, to bait Zach Mettenberger into throwing him an interception. Due to the pressure from J.J. Watt, Mettenberger had to hold the ball a split second longer, decided to avoid any more sack selfies and threw it away.

Play 2
                              New England - Battle Red Sunday Night
                              3rd down
                              20 personnel (two backs and no TE)

Early in the game against the Patriots, Tom Brady and company faced a third down and long with two backs and no tight ends on the field. The Texans countered with a six defensive back sub-package look with Joseph in his customary perimeter cornerback position.

The Texans rushed three and dropped eight into coverage, which they can do because the law firm of Watt, Mercilus and Clowney LLC can handle its business up front. To the bottom of the screen the Texans had three defensive backs seemingly to account for the two wide receivers and a possible running back leaking out.

To Josephís side, Patriots wide receiver Brandon LaFell worked a stutter and go double move and when he recognized the middle of the field open, he sprinted to the post deep down the field.

This is without question the hardest and most difficult route for any cornerback to cover. Joseph had outside leverage on LaFell, who then sprinted away from Joseph to the middle of the field. Thatís a lot of ground to cover. A lot. But, Joseph never bit on the double move and as LaFell sprinted downfield, Joseph ran to a spot where he could stay on top of LaFell without letting the Pats receiver box him out on a 50/50 high ball catch downfield.

As Brady launched deep, Joseph was in perfect position.

Right in LaFellís hip pocket, Joseph broke up the deep pass to set the NRG Stadium crowd on fire early on.
                              Football IQ. Route understanding. Speed. Guile. Experience. Perfect positioning. Toughness. Thereís so much in just these two plays that define the player that Joseph has become and will continue to be in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X