Jonathan Joseph

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texans’ Joseph on Osweiler: ‘If we just do our job, he’s more than capable’
    Now, the Houston Texans have the quarterback.

Or so goes the common refrain that has been heard through the offseason. With Brock Osweiler, the Texans have an answer where there had long been a question. They have someone to complement a strong defense and put them on a deep playoff run.

Cornerback Jonathan Joseph, for one, sees it that way.

“I think having a franchise quarterback in this league goes a long way,” Joseph told Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn on the SiriusXM Blitz Wednesday. “I think the sooner you can identify that guy and have that guy, and, I think, it kind of brings the team together so the guys can rally around him. And it makes everyone else comfortable knowing that you have a guy that you can go in there each and every week with to battle, that’s going to put your team in the chance to win ballgames.

“Obviously, we haven’t seen him do it on the field, but us as a ballclub, we’ve seen him do it in practice enough to where we have the confidence heading into the season if we just do our job and hold up, I think he’s more than capable.”

The uniting effect that Osweiler has had on the Texans is obvious. Coming from the Denver Broncos, where he had a brief run of success on their way to Super Bowl 50, gives him credibility with his teammates. So does the fact he chose to stay in Houston and not miss offseason workouts over joining his Broncos teammates for their recent White House visit.

“This is the part of the year where you come together as a team,” Joseph said. “There’s obviously no contact or things like that. So you have a chance to go out there and work on the passing game and utilize your weapons and things like that. I think any time that you have additions to a team, the aspirations are going to be really high heading into the season.

“We’ve got to continue to work hard and continue to put the pieces together, so when the season does start, we’re able to hit the ground running.”

“But us as a team, we can’t really focus on the outside. We’ve got to continue to work hard and continue to put the pieces together, so when the season does start, we’re able to hit the ground running.”
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

I'm not overly thrilled about our secondary heading into next season, hope they prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 281Texan View Post
        I'm not overly thrilled about our secondary heading into next season, hope they prove me wrong.
        Why ? Two more then solid starters .A draft pick thats gonna be even better , and 3 or 4 guys at S , SS of which contributed in games last season . Our defense front to back is the Heart of this yrs team IMHO. If we can sustain drives on O , and the D can rest we should be taking the Division again as well as a playoff run again ? Not bad for a 3rd yr. HC with QB issues & patch work O-lines last 2 seasons

Comment

Texans' Johnathan Joseph credits his father's positive influence
          Johnathan Joseph is one of the longest-standing members of one of the best defenses in the NFL.

But if the Texans cornerback walked by you on the street, would you know what he looked like?

If the 10-year veteran removed his helmet and stripped away his uniform, how much would you actually know about him?

For better and worse, we know almost everything about J.J. Watt. Who he plays impromptu pickup basketball with. Which starlet he might be dating. All the TV shows he's on and how much good he does for the regional sports community.

But No. 99's ever-growing star power is so dominating that he often overshadows the lesser-known names around him. Joseph, 32, is a living example of that. He has played in 143 NFL games, including 76 in five seasons with the Texans, and has 553 total tackles and 26 interceptions to his professional name.

A private person

Yet for all the times I've interviewed Joseph after practices and following games, I still didn't know two critical things about him.

1.) He thought his Pro Bowl career was over a couple of years ago.

2.) He'll never get over the loss of John Joseph.

"I'm kind of a private guy," said the longtime defender with a South Carolina accent, understating his down-to-earth demeanor.

John taught Joseph everything. The Texan's father was the "smartest guy in the world."

He knew it all despite never playing sports and devoting 30 hard years of his life to working in a cotton mill in Fort Mill, S.C.

John was always around, never complained and instilled in his son the core values that define him to this day.

"Being a great father figure, a great family man," Joseph said. "Just telling me when I'm right or wrong. Even when I'm up to 29, 30 years old, he's always the one that can tell me."

John was also a smoker who stopped. But emphysema eventually became lung cancer and Joseph's father became so sick he could no longer make the trip to Houston to watch his son up close.

"By the time he quit, it was kind of too late," said Joseph, who recalled the pain of his father's struggles during his final years.

John Joseph died at the age of 76. Two years later, his son still feels the power of his father's life.

"That's why I always work hard and do my best," Joseph said. "Losing him, it was big for me. But I didn't really show it."

Dedicated dad of three

The cornerback has three children of his own and plays daddy as much as he can when the Texans are not working. Joseph has gradually found a balance with his wife, Delaina. When the season is roaring, he zeros in on football. When the game goes away, being a father is his No. 1 job.

"It's tough," Joseph said. "But the best part about it is having a wife like I have. … She understands, being with me for so long and just seeing things operate from the weekly schedule. We both have a unique perspective from a way to look at it."

No. 24 is one of the few Texans left from five seasons ago. Joseph exchanged Cincinnati for Houston in 2011, when the Texans decided to create a defense that matched their offense. Five years later, the franchise has finally reinvested in its offense. Joseph is now the oldest starter on both sides of the ball not named Vince Wilfork.

"I don't think (Joseph) gets nearly enough credit," Watt said. "He's a guy that's played in this league for a very long time. He's been very successful. He's really good at his job.

"He's a really good mentor for the rest of the guys. … I sit right behind him in the defensive meeting room and every day he is talking to the young DBs about 'Watch this, put your eyes here.' "

Joseph has taken up yoga and pilates to help his body forget its age. His free nights are quieter. His football days are highly structured: Arrive earlier than normal, then it's the steam room, stretching and a hot tub in between all the video work, meetings, in-week preparation and on-field attacks.

"A lot of guys don't even get to play this long," Joseph said. "So playing this long is an honor for me and I feel privileged. But at the same time, I've been doing something right, also. Whenever that time comes, I can look at myself in the mirror and tell myself an honest answer."

Still going strong

He thought a lingering turf toe injury in 2013 was going to be the end of his run. But Joseph has rolled off back-to-back 16-game seasons since and 2015 first-round pick Kevin Johnson is still the Texans' third corner. Joseph also has outlasted nearly the entire 2011 roster, while avoiding the "cap casualty" designation that has erased so many of his former teammates.

"I enjoy coming to work," Joseph said. "You never come in here with (an upset) attitude, moaning about it.

"Because there's a lot of other things we could be doing out there and not earning such a great living."

John did the hard work for three decades.

Two years after losing his father and 10 years after just wanting to be one of the best athletes from his draft class, the Texans cornerback few fans would know up close has become one of NRG Stadium's most familiar faces.

"I think this is the team for the rest of my career," Joseph said.
          In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
            #Texans cornerback Johnathan Joseph suffered two broken ribs and a bruised lung when he was injured Sunday in the loss to the Packers.

Oof.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
              Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26

Oof.
              so kj, bouye, Nelson, and that kid we just picked up are going to be our only corners this game?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post
                so kj, bouye, Nelson, and that kid we just picked up are going to be our only corners this game?
                And Don Jones on the 53 and Denzel Rice on the practice squad.

Injuries are wiping out our whole defense.

Comment

Which defensive player helped DeAndre Hopkins?

HoustonTexans.com
                  At just 24 years old, DeAndre Hopkins has emerged as a star wide receiver in the NFL. Despite an impressive catch radius and natural athleticism, Hopkins also turned to a surprising source for his early success.

Johnathan Joseph, he’s one of the smartest guys if not the smartest guy in that locker room on knowing football, offense and defense,” Hopkins said on Texans Radio April 25. “He’s an older guy, but still he probably leads the league in pass deflections.”

Johnathan Joseph, now entering his 12th NFL season and seventh with Houston, has seen action in 156 career games with 145 starts. Joseph, a two-time Pro Bowler, currently leads all NFL players with 159 passes defensed since being drafted by Cincinnati in 2006.

As a rookie, Hopkins also learned from mentor and All-Pro Andre Johnson. However, the defensive backs give him a different perspective, according to Hopkins. Joseph covered the top receivers in the league week after week for over a decade.

“It’s not just because of his athletic ability,” Hopkins said. “It’s because of his awareness of knowing football. Every time I come to the sideline, J-Jo is probably the first guy right there talking to me before any offensive guy on how I can beat this defender, on what he’s seeing, on what kind of coverage they’re playing. I need that and he’s been like that since my first year being here.”

Hopkins has the most receptions, receiving yards, receiving touchdowns, and 100-yard receiving games through a player’s first four seasons in Texans history.
                  Thank goodness Nnamdi Asomugha priced himself out of our reach and we pivoted to JJo.

Comment

Working...
                  X