Tom Savage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Savage

Is *Tom Savage a possibility at starting QB? I do believe we need to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. But, can we use him to get a QB later? In round 1 look to getting a replacement to Arian Foster, like Ezekiel Elliott? Or help at O-line? But definitely offense in 1 and 2.

Originally posted by bgwoodside View Post
    Is *Tom Savage a possibility at starting QB? I do believe we need to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. But, can we use him to get a QB later? In round 1 look to getting a replacement to Arian Foster, like Ezekiel Elliott? Or help at O-line? But definitely offense in 1 and 2.
    Texans might get a RD6 or 7 for Savage and with that return the Texans could draft a new QB and start the process all over. That appears to be, at minimum, a 2 year wait. The Texans cannot wait until year 4 (2017) to find out what Savage brings to the starting position. Obie and the Texans will need to slide all their Savage chips in and hope that Obie has dealt the right cards.

At the moment, if the team cannot secure Goff, Lynch or Wentz at RD1-22 then they can draft a QB anywhere from RD2 to RD4 or 5 and basically wind up with the same project. Project means, unless he's Tom Brady...expect to have a competing QB in 2017 or 2018. 2014 QB class will be starting year 3 and could be another year away from making solid impacts. The 2015 QB class could be in the same boat. If the Texans were truly...just a QB away, then drafting or moving up to get Goff, Lynch or Wentz (Like the Steelers and Big Ben) would make sense. But, we all know that the Texans are not JUST a QB away.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post
      Texans might get a RD6 or 7 for Savage and with that return the Texans could draft a new QB and start the process all over. That appears to be, at minimum, a 2 year wait. The Texans cannot wait until year 4 (2017) to find out what Savage brings to the starting position. Obie and the Texans will need to slide all their Savage chips in and hope that Obie has dealt the right cards.

At the moment, if the team cannot secure Goff, Lynch or Wentz at RD1-22 then they can draft a QB anywhere from RD2 to RD4 or 5 and basically wind up with the same project. Project means, unless he's Tom Brady...expect to have a competing QB in 2017 or 2018. 2014 QB class will be starting year 3 and could be another year away from making solid impacts. The 2015 QB class could be in the same boat. If the Texans were truly...just a QB away, then drafting or moving up to get Goff, Lynch or Wentz (Like the Steelers and Big Ben) would make sense. But, we all know that the Texans are not JUST a QB away.
      Meh, I differ on the two highlit points.
      For example, I think Savage is worth more than that - he has some experience now in an NFL system and should be reasonably well adjusted to the higher level of play.
      Texans are just a QB away. Think of how good a good QB can make their oline look. If you put Big Ben, Brees, Manning, Brady, Luck, Newton, Wilson, Rogers, Carr, Bridgewater, Stafford, Flacco, Romo, Rivers, Ryan, Smith or Palmer under center with some time to learn the system, Texans suddenly look much more dangerous.
      1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

They drafted Savage a couple of years ago and he played respectably during the short time that was called upon. I don't understand why people write off these young QBs if they aren't in the lineup in their first season. Why wouldn't he be an option? Do people think that he's justvanother wasted draft pick?

Comment

Is *Tom Savage a possibility at starting QB?
          Yes, but he'll have to be better than he was in the last OTAs/training camp.
          In round 1 look to getting a replacement to Arian Foster, like Ezekiel Elliott?
          I think Elliott will be gone before we pick.
          Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post
            Meh, I differ on the two highlit points.
            For example, I think Savage is worth more than that - he has some experience now in an NFL system and should be reasonably well adjusted to the higher level of play.
            Texans are just a QB away. Think of how good a good QB can make their oline look. If you put Big Ben, Brees, Manning, Brady, Luck, Newton, Wilson, Rogers, Carr, Bridgewater, Stafford, Flacco, Romo, Rivers, Ryan, Smith or Palmer under center with some time to learn the system, Texans suddenly look much more dangerous.
            But how can savage be worth more than whatever if we have not seen anything from him yet, either good or bad.
            I think we make him the starter for next season today name him today, get him all the reps he need, and then we can see what he may be worth after a true chance of playing regular season games and not just a handful of them.
            Savage1
            Weeden2
            Hackenberg3
            Yates4
            1. G Bolles OT, 2. N Peterman QB, 3. J Myrick CB, 4. G Kittle TE, 4. J Conner RB, 5. T Thompson SS, 7. B Boulware LB

Comment

Originally posted by Texans dice View Post
              But how can savage be worth more than whatever if we have not seen anything from him yet, either good or bad.
              I think we make him the starter for next season today name him today, get him all the reps he need, and then we can see what he may be worth after a true chance of playing regular season games and not just a handful of them.
              Savage1
              Weeden2
              Hackenberg3
              Yates4
              How bout Wentz instead of Hackenberg? I'd rather have Wentz then any of our current quarterbacks. Draft him. Get him ready. Start him and give him experience under fire.
              That'll do donkey. That'll do.
              ~Your Weekly Game Thread Creator~

GO TEXANS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JamTex View Post
                How bout Wentz instead of Hackenberg? I'd rather have Wentz then any of our current quarterbacks. Draft him. Get him ready. Start him and give him experience under fire.
                That'll do donkey. That'll do.
                Would not be opposed to that at all, i really like them both hack and wentz.
                Hopefully we can land one of them.
                1. G Bolles OT, 2. N Peterman QB, 3. J Myrick CB, 4. G Kittle TE, 4. J Conner RB, 5. T Thompson SS, 7. B Boulware LB

Comment

Savage is brittle

And when he got a chance to play......... there is nothing special ....... then he gets sack and gets injured. Back to hunting for FA QBs that do nothing.

I always say give the man a chance to play. And we have.

Nothing to see here folks, move on. I believe if we give him a chance just another wasted games of not developing the future starter.
                  THE Anti troll

Comment

Originally posted by MachineToss View Post
                    Savage is brittle

And when he got a chance to play......... there is nothing special ....... then he gets sack and gets injured. Back to hunting for FA QBs that do nothing.

Nothing to see here folks, move on. I believe if we give him a chance just another wasted games of not developing the future starter.
                    This is why we need Wentz.
                    ~Your Weekly Game Thread Creator~

GO TEXANS!!!

Comment

I'm comfortable moving up in the draft. As long as we don't give up the house. Wither we chase a QB like Wentz or Lynch or even Cook. Or we move up for E. Elliott. As for T. Savage to say that he is brittle isn't fair. He maybe, but injuries just happen. Remember M.Stafford in Detroit. Ideally, for me anyway. Move up for RB Ezekiel Elliott in rd one. Draft Hackenberg in 2nd. And allow Savage to prove he isn't the guy.

Comment

Savage is brittle

When did they give him a chance? When he got thrown in in the Indy game when OB admitted he gave him 0 practice reps to prepare for that game? Thus last preseason he proved he was the best qb on this roster but wasn't given a chance to compete for the starting gig then we threw him out there with an OT who hadn't even been in town for 24 hrs and let him get killed
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post
                          When did they give him a chance? When he got thrown in in the Indy game when OB admitted he gave him 0 practice reps to prepare for that game? Thus last preseason he proved he was the best qb on this roster but wasn't given a chance to compete for the starting gig then we threw him out there with an OT who hadn't even been in town for 24 hrs and let him get killed
                          Preach it brother ! He should have been the starter from the jump . Everyone but OB knew what Hoyer was ,Mallett sabotaged himself so theres that ! Anyone can watch the pre-season work Savage did it showed progress & potential IMHO ...

Comment

If you could not beat Mallet or Hoyer......... you are nothing special.

You can start Savage if you wanna throw the 2016 season down the gutter.

I am down with it if we Draft a QB really high.
                            THE Anti troll

Comment

If you could not beat Mallet or Hoyer......... you are nothing special.

You can start Savage if you wanna throw the 2016 season down the gutter.

I am down with it if we Draft a QB really high.
                              Savage has played in exactly one regular season game, a game where he wasn't even the starter, and was injured severely in two different freak accident plays that kept him from playing any further between this past season and the season before. But yet you know he's definitely nothing special?

I guarantee O'Brien is the type of coach who doesn't let a rookie QB play until they've gotten a full grasp of the system and are able to put on consistent practices and get into a consistent rhythm with teammates. For many QB's, that takes up to two seasons. He was never gonna have a chance his first year, and this past season it would have been quite difficult for him to prove to OB that he would definitely run his system better than Hoyer or Mallett. We saw that he had a good preseason though. He made many noticeable improvements-his accuracy looked sharp, especially on the deep ball, he flashed excellent pocket presence, and he even showed the mobility to extend some plays when the protection broke down.

Next season will be when Savage gets his real chance, if he doesn't win the job even then, then ok go ahead and say he's nothing special. But until then no one knows how good he could be. Even if we do draft a QB in the first round, it's pretty much a near guarantee that QB will likely never see the field. That includes even Hackenberg.
                              sigpic

“Qui n’avance pas, recule”

Comment

Working...
                              X