Tom Savage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 281Texan View Post

Savage is on his last year of his deal. So I'm just gonna go ahead an assume somebody is going to pay him way above his market value because of the position he plays. Unless he doesn't show anything/play at all, in which he'll get a 2 year deal somewhere for cheap. Savage is irrelevant to me because:

1. We gave up 2 first round picks for our QB, so it's not a matter of if but when he will be the QB1 for this football team.

2. Savage cannot stay healthy for 16 games. Hope he proves me wrong. Doubt he does

3. If Savage starts this year and does well, some team will overpay for him. We cannot and should not compete with that. We know Watson is going to take his lumps. Why not get that over with now while the Pats just loaded up a juggernaut for next season? I mean barring a significant Madden curse do we really think we have any chance of beating them?

Tom Savage hasn't even thrown a touchdown in his career yet and everybody on here is giddy about the prospects of him being our QB? Like I get it he hasn't had a ton of opportunity but what has he shown that makes anyone believe that he can be a starting QB besides some offseason jibberish from beat writers?
    I guess we just see things differently..

To me:

1. 2 first round picks for a QB, do you really want to risk damaging him mentally (the way jake locker saw ghosts) because he isn't ready? Injury due to holding onto the ball too long because he doesn't know the system?

2. He's had ONE shoulder injury, a staph infection (crap happens), and a fluke cuncussion... people said the same thing about Clowney and are saying similar things about Kevin Johnson. Not sure why you're trying to predict injuries and use that as a tool for skill assessment.

3. Can you think of A SINGLE negative of having another team overpay him? If he gives us low end starting QB play and another team wants to pay him, adios Savage -- you were a decent stop gap. If he struggles and continues to look the part of a back-up QB, then we keep him. How is this an issue?

I'm not giddy about having a bottom 5 QB situation in the league.. just pragmatic about what we do with it.

Comment

• My .2 cents. Savage has been in this system for 3 years and is entering his 4th. Savage knows Obie's offensive system in a way that Watson will not for at least this entire season...or more. Savage's draft status might have been much higher than RD4 if he had stayed with one school. As far as his time with the Texans, I think Obie wanted to bring his project along slowly but a fluke injury and a knee-jerk signing set his timing back a full season. When he has gotten his chances, he's done fairly decent considering most of those reps were taken with no prior time working with the starting unit. Also worth mentioning, the OL was horrible and one-dimensional in the run game, play calling looked like they were holding grease boards up from the sideline indicating the play Godsey wanted to run, receivers (ALL) having a sub-par seasons and the TE's doing ok until committing a drive killing holding penalty....in this environment, yeah, Savage did pretty good. So, in my book...how stupid would the team look if they just swept 4 years of development under the rug with no actual playing time? They just give Savage away to appease the selection of Watson b/c Watson looks better on paper! If they did this and Savage were to go to another team and find immediate success, who takes the black-eye, Obie or RS? How bad does this look if Savage succeeds elsewhere and Watson fails to deliver? If the latter situation were to happen...the team might as well sell all their assets and start over! Hopefully McNair understands the meaning behind the statement of describing insanity.

As for Watson...he had a pretty nice college career and got to hoist the trophy at the end of the season. Nice team accomplishment. Watson obviously had some bugs in his game b/c even with the trophy and the accolades, he rated and drafted behind 2 QB's with half the glory. Trubisky only started for a season and Mahomes was coming from a system that the NFL regards as highly suspect....yet, both were rated and drafted higher. Bear in mind, this QB Draft Class was way over-hyped as indicated by just about 100% of Pro Football Analyst. Most any other decent draft class, Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson could have been selected in RD's 2 or 3. Almost everyone agreed that RS gave up way too much to draft Watson and might have been able to stand pat and still had Watson drop in his lap in RD1. Watson has a few fundamental flaws to work out of his game while he learns this offensive scheme. I just don't think this was the draft to go all in on a QB while the OL is still left with questions for the 4th consecutive season.

Savage is in a contract and an NFL future type of season so I wouldn't expect him to take this competition lightly, not to mention...I fully expect him to do whatever it takes to make RS look like a bafoon for doubting his ability. I'm hard-pressed to see Obie willingly name Watson the starter since he's against starting rookie QB's and essentially coaching for his HC'ing job this season. As far as Watson being QB1 this season so he can work the bugs out of his game....does it really matter? If he doesn't deliver or show progress playing against NFL defenses in 2017...what are the Texans going to do? Savage will leave via FA and the Texans don't have enough picks to draft his replacement in a QB heavy 2018 NFL Draft. That picture could get much worse since Obie would be fired...he would get another HC'ing gig in the NFL, get Savage for a song and probably sign Weeden away to expedite the implementation of his offense with a new team.....b/c, the Texans started Watson in 2017 so it left the question mark surrounding Savage in place.

Comment

• It does not matter how you know the system when 3 seconds after the snap, there is a 300 pound rusher waiting to pound you. This team has not invested in a good line. We have been trying to hit diamonds in the late rounds or picking Denver's bargain bin. we let too many linemen walk to FA = Rick smith hates linemen or he SUCKS!
        THE Anti troll

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post

I guess we just see things differently..

To me:

1. 2 first round picks for a QB, do you really want to risk damaging him mentally (the way jake locker saw ghosts) because he isn't ready? Injury due to holding onto the ball too long because he doesn't know the system?

2. He's had ONE shoulder injury, a staph infection (crap happens), and a fluke cuncussion... people said the same thing about Clowney and are saying similar things about Kevin Johnson. Not sure why you're trying to predict injuries and use that as a tool for skill assessment.

3. Can you think of A SINGLE negative of having another team overpay him? If he gives us low end starting QB play and another team wants to pay him, adios Savage -- you were a decent stop gap. If he struggles and continues to look the part of a back-up QB, then we keep him. How is this an issue?

I'm not giddy about having a bottom 5 QB situation in the league.. just pragmatic about what we do with it.
          People use the "knowing the system" card as a scapegoat it seems to justify beliefs that rookies don't play well. Look Jake Locker played all of 5 games his rookie year. He had time to learn. Russell Wilson came in and played day 1 and performed well. Same with Winston, Mariota, etc. Players flunk out because they don't have it in between the ears, or they don't have the talent and intangibles needed to play in the NFL. DW checks all of the boxes. If you're saying our OL sucks and you don't want the rookie to get killed then I'm all behind you there.

Savage had a knee twice, Shoulder sprain, elbow (staph), and concussion. He's injury prone man. Just admit it. He got injured his freshman year in college and lost his job that's why he transferred to every division 1 college in the NCAA. I'm saying I don't care if the man had Brady talent if you can't rely on him to be on the field, especially in win or go home situations then he's not a reliable option.

Teams can overpay him. I don't care. I just don't want him to have a decent year, then get injured, the DW has a slow start to his career then we turn around and think we need to throw $6m/year or some ridiculous figure his way.

Savage will get his shot in preseason. As will DW. I say best man win. To hell with the rookie needs a redshirt year crap. DW does not, he's about as pro ready physically as it comes and becoming more comfortable with the playbook usually comes with game time experience. So the QB is going to have ups and downs. It's just about when. Rather do it now then later.

Comment

• Opto and Toss, thank you for looking at the issue ln it's fundamental and systemic overview ! Playing Whack-a-Mole is not nearly as constant or widespread if you build from the foundation - back .... actually on both sides of the ball. Returning to an on-going effort to build the offensive line through the late rounds and free agency is NOT a winning strategy .... but .... unfortunately, it will continue to put "butts in seats' !
            "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
            Voltaire

Comment

• Originally posted by 281Texan View Post
              Savage will get his shot in preseason. As will DW. I say best man win. To hell with the rookie needs a redshirt year crap. DW does not, he's about as pro ready physically as it comes and becoming more comfortable with the playbook usually comes with game time experience. So the QB is going to have ups and downs. It's just about when. Rather do it now then later.
              Sorry for the confusion, I thought you were saying -- no matter what, we need to start DW week 1 and let him learn.

Best man win is exactly how I feel. If it's close and you're not sure who to choose, roll out Deshaun Watson. I expect Watson to show signs of his potential this pre-season, but ultimately Tom Savage will prove to be significantly further along. That's not a knock on Watson as a QB prospect or an intelligent young man, I just think at this point, Savage is working on refining his game while Watson is working on adjusting to life as a Texan (playbook, verbiage, speed of the game, chemistry, building a rapport with teammates, etc).

I could be wrong.. Watson could eat everything on his plate and come back askin for seconds.. I'm against throwing DW to the wolves if he shows signs that he's not quite ready this pre-season.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post

Sorry for the confusion, I thought you were saying -- no matter what, we need to start DW week 1 and let him learn.

Best man win is exactly how I feel. If it's close and you're not sure who to choose, roll out Deshaun Watson. I expect Watson to show signs of his potential this pre-season, but ultimately Tom Savage will prove to be significantly further along. That's not a knock on Watson as a QB prospect or an intelligent young man, I just think at this point, Savage is working on refining his game while Watson is working on adjusting to life as a Texan (playbook, verbiage, speed of the game, chemistry, building a rapport with teammates, etc).

I could be wrong.. Watson could eat everything on his plate and come back askin for seconds.. I'm against throwing DW to the wolves if he shows signs that he's not quite ready this pre-season.
                Oh well yeah no doubt if he's not ready don't put him in there. I'm just thinking I expect him to be able to handle everything that we will send his way at a relatively fast pace. I just don't agree with other posters on here who say no matter what DW needs a year to learn. I used to be of the mindset that the extra year could drastically help physically but if a QB is ready mentally, I say play him. You can only progress so much until you see it live in a game time scenario with real pressure, real consequences, real atomosphere, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X