Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

I'm nobody. But I know some people.

In this instance, though, my source for that info came about in a somewhat random, coincidental fashion and not from my usual guys.
    Very suspicious I must say. Tell all your sources 'thanks for the info' though on my behalf.

Comment

Texans lineman Jeff Allen ready to regain form he had in Kansas City

By Aaron Wilson
      Jeff Allen built a strong reputation with the Kansas City Chiefs for his nasty disposition, a brawling, go-for-the-throat approach on the football field.

Allen was known for playing to the echo of the whistle, and perhaps a moment beyond in a punishing manner that belied his relatively mild-mannered, friendly personality away from the game.

As much as Allen tried to recapture his old, feisty blocking form last year during his first season with the Texans after signing a five-year, $28 million contract to be their new starting right offensive guard, something was missing.

"I wasn't satisfied," Allen said this week. "I definitely didn't play up to my standard."

Accustomed to playing left guard, Allen had to learn new footwork and become comfortable on the right side with his new employer. He dealt with a nagging ankle injury that required minor offseason surgery. Allen was sidelined with a concussion for two games as he started 14 games during his first season in Houston.

Allen finished the season ranked as Pro Football Focus' 72nd guard in the NFL.

Whatever the reasons were for his sudden regression as a lineman, Allen didn't look nearly as aggressive as he did with the Chiefs as he appeared hesitant and unsure at times during a rough season.

It was a frustrating experience overall for Allen after being brought in as the replacement for Brandon Brooks.

"I feel like it was kind of an up-and-down year," Allen said. "Obviously, you have to look in the mirror and try to figure out what you can do better. Everybody can do things better. For me personally, every year I try to figure out what I can do better, learn the offense a little bit better, get a little more comfortable in a new position.

"I would say it was more so just being on a new team in a new offense and getting comfortable all-around playing a position I hadn't played before. It was my first time playing right guard, so I needed to get a good feel for that."

Instead of resting on the security of a contract that includes $12 million guaranteed with a $5 million signing bonus, Allen is determined to live up to his end of the bargain and get back to the way he played in Kansas City.

Toward that goal, the Chicago native has transformed his diet and training regimen and lost 21 pounds since last season. Listed at 6-4, 306 pounds on the Texans' roster, Allen has dramatically changed his approach to his conditioning and is noticeably leaner and quicker on the practice field. Allen said he played heavier last season and is now hovering in the low 300-pound range.

"I feel good, I lost a few pounds," Allen said. "I think it will be beneficial for me this season. I've done a lot of hard work, a lot of cardio. I changed my diet. I'm eating a little cleaner. I have a better understanding of what I need from my body.

"Especially as I'm getting older, I understand what things can make you better. It was more about the conditioning aspect, just making sure I'm ready to go so I can play a big part."

A doting husband and father, Allen and his wife, Marissa, a prolific food blogger, welcomed a son, Jeff Jr., in December. They have a two-year-old daughter named Joy.

Marissa is a chef who loves whipping up recipes. Her website features everything from hatch green enchiladas, beef barbacoa, crispy chicken with lemon cream sauce, Caribbean jerk chicken tacos with mango salsa, bacon, brie and caramelized onion frittata, honey chipotle chicken kabobs and oatmeal double chocolate chip cookies with walnuts.

During his wife's pregnancy, Allen put on some extra poundage.

"That could be true," Allen said with a smile. "She has those late-night cravings and you get a snack for her."

With the ankle injury behind him, Allen looked a lot more mobile firing out of his stance during the Texans' organized team activity practices this week.

Allen regaining his health is a big factor.

"My ankle feels pretty good," Allen said. "It was more of a clean-up thing. It was something that had been bothering for a little while."

While he was playing for the Chiefs, Allen routinely gutted out injuries and was frequently seen limping back to the huddle after plays and rarely coming out of games.

Allen overcame a torn biceps tendon along with a knee injury while playing for the Chiefs. He started 36 of the 44 games he played for the Chiefs in four seasons, lining up at left guard primarily and occasionally at right tackle. They finished second in the NFL in rushing yards during his final season in Kansas City.

"I think I can do things better than last year," Allen said. "The way I played in Kansas City, that's the way I'm used to playing."

The Texans need Allen to bounce back in a major way after last season when the right side of the line was frequently a target and too easily yielded penetration, leading to running plays being disrupted and former starting quarterback Brock Osweiler being under duress.

"Determined, one word for Jeff," Marissa said. "No one else puts their mind to things like Jeff does. He did things a lot of people told him he wasn't going to be able to do. I'm proud of how determined he was to succeed."

With the right tackle position up in the air with Derek Newton out for the season with a pair of torn patellar tendons suffered last season against the Denver Broncos and Chris Clark, Breno Giacomini and rookie Julie'n Davenport vying for the starting job, it's imperative that Allen solidify the foundation of the line next to them.

From his standpoint, Allen is encouraged by the progress he's made and optimistic that he'll have a good season.

"I'm very excited," Allen said. "I'm looking forward to going out and having a good year."
      Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Jeff Allen primed for rebound season in Houston

TexansWire
        Jeff Allen’s first year in Houston was one to forget. After signing as a free agent for 4 years and $28 million, both Allen and the Texans expected the prized veteran to shore up the meddling right guard position.

Allen flopped miserably. Had the Texans also not been on the wrong end of the Brock Osweiler fleecing, Allen’s bad season would get much more attention from both the local and national media.

He wasn’t always so lousy. In fact, just one year earlier it was easy to see why the Texans had so much interest in the 2012 second-round pick out of Illinois.

It’s unrealistic to expect Allen to get back to that top-ranked form. Yet it’s also completely realistic to expect the veteran to rebound somewhere closer to his prior play.

Foremost is health. Allen battled an ankle injury all season, one which required surgery in the offseason. He also suffered a concussion during the season. He’s healthy now.

In fact, his rehabilitation has included an impressive weight loss. The guard from Illinois is down over 20 pounds, which will only help his mobility.

Comfort in his new position in a new offense will also help. Allen was previously a left-side player. Moving to the right required a retraining of his muscle memory and instincts with his footwork. Bill O’Brien’s offense also required him to move more before engaging defenders.

That was a lot on his plate, especially considering his mobility was limited with the ankle issue. He didn’t forget how to play. Allen simply wasn’t able to overcome the obstacles thrown in his way commensurate with his fat new contract.

If Allen has any professional pride, he will be definitively better in 2017. The Texans can sorely use a fresh, motivated Jeff Allen to anchor the right side of the tumultuous offensive line.
        Last edited by H2O4me; 2 weeks ago.
        Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

IF the drop in play was mainly due to him moving to the right side of the line...(don't really see how, but ok thats fine) then why not move him back to LG? It's not like Su'a Filo is some stalwart pro bowl LG that we don't want to mess with. He's been pretty much a bust so far. Hell move Su'a Filo to RT. All everyone talked about was how he can play 5 positions on the OL coming out of college. Try him at RT, can't be much worse than Clark. Scratch that, CANNOT be worse than Clark, there's no possible way. Nick Martin plays RG, Allen goes back where he's comfortable, and tada! We have a somewhat formidable OL.

Comment

Originally posted by 281Texan View Post
            IF the drop in play was mainly due to him moving to the right side of the line...(don't really see how, but ok thats fine)
            Due more to injuries. Week 2 calf injury stayed with him all season, and he compensated into an ankle injury that required surgery.

Plus 2 concussions. Plus poor shape -- see photo post #42 above.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

Due more to injuries. Week 2 calf injury stayed with him all season, and he compensated into an ankle injury that required surgery.

Plus 2 concussions. Plus poor shape -- see photo post #42 above.

Yeah I meant to put that...but I also remember a previous article about him saying something about how moving from LG to RG was a factor because it was all new terminology and assignments? I understand the injuries. That happens. If he's healthy now we can at least salvage that signing...man for that free agency haul last year that we all thought would put us over the top at this point it looks pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 281Texan View Post
                Yeah I meant to put that...but I also remember a previous article about him saying something about how moving from LG to RG was a factor because it was all new terminology and assignments?
                He did respond with that, but he played some RT for KC when he was there, too. Most OGs don't have that much difficulty switching sides. It's a tougher ask at OT, but guys make that switch all of the time. I just think he showed up with that bad body and that reflected his commitment.

Here's hoping all of the talk about him getting healthy and fixing his body are true. I expect at least his play strength to improve -- he turned into a waist bender(functional strength) right after the calf injury, and I didn't see that as a notable concern from the KC tape I watched.

Comment

Working...
                X