David Quessenberry, 2017 PFWA George Halas Award

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dgmtexas View Post
    Man, I am really sorry to hear about the cut, I was rooting for him. I hope somebody picks him up, and he has a great NFL career.
    He's on the Houston Texans roster under the NFI reserve list; doesn't count towards the 90 man roster spot.
    TexansCap.com

Comment

Man, I am really sorry to hear about the cut, I was rooting for him. I hope somebody picks him up, and he has a great NFL career.
      I suspect there is some sort of unwritten code that none of the other teams would claim him so the Texans could move him to the IR/NFI until the Cancer treatments have ended and he has a chance to get back and keep his strength. I'm sure it's been a yo-yo between gaining and losing strength depending on the course of Chemo treatments.
      https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by bayoudreamn View Post
        Cool, thanks. There's also Doc on the other board...
        One in the same.
        Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Texans' David Quessenberry: 'My fight is not over'
          Texans offensive lineman David Quessenberry isn't done with his fight with cancer, or his quest to play again in the NFL.

Placed on the non-football illness list last week, Quessenberry's cancer is in remission. However, he's not going to play football again until he completes his monthly maintenance treatments.

Quessenberry has battled non-Hodgins lymphoma for the past two seasons.

"My fight is not over," Quessenberry wrote on Instagram. "I will not compete in the NFL until I finish my maintenance chemotherapy protocol. At which time I will strap up and take my place on the field with my teammates and coaches."

The offensive lineman spent the past two seasons on the non-football illness list, receiving the good news last year from his oncologist that his cancer was in remission.

"2 years ago today I was almost dead," Quessenberry wrote. "I laid in the hospital bed and had the doctors tell me I had a cancerous mass the size of a softball in my chest and my right lung had been filled with 2 liters of fluids and my left was partially collapsed. They said every moment was precious and we need to act quickly.

"Thankfully I was blessed to be in Houston where the team at MD Anderson cancer had everything I needed to help me beat Cancer. They acted quickly draining the fluid and starting me on the most aggressive chemotherapy regiment they could. I stand here today 2 years later in remission, healthy and strong."

Quessenberry was on the field with the Texans on Monday during an organized team activity and continues to work out to prepare for his comeback.

"We just felt like there may be a point during the fall, during camp, where he was burning the candle on both ends, so to speak," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said last week. "We want him to fully attack and beat cancer, which he will do. Then get him back on the 90-man roster at some point in 2017. That's what we hope will happen."

"It was just a matter of thinking about how many treatments he had left relative to August, September and October," O'Brien said. "In the best interest of him and our team, putting him out there on the practice field, that wasn't going to be able to be done this year, early in the year especially to give him a chance to make the team."

Quessenberry undergoes chemotherapy once a month as part of a 30-month maintenance.

"I feel excellent," Quessenberrry said in a telephone interview after the NFL draft. "I can't wait. I feel strong. I feel fast. I feel explosive. It's the best I've felt in a long time. I can't wait to get out there. It will be a good year."

Quessenberry dealt with a persistent cough and shortness of breath during a minicamp two years ago and was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins T lymphoblastic lymphoma at age 23. Doctors discovered a mass in his lungs. Enough fluid had built up that it could have been fatal if they hadn't taken action quickly.

A former sixth-round draft pick from San Jose State who earned a scholarship, started 38 games and was a team captain and all-conference blocker after enrolling as a 235-pound walk-on tight end from Encinitas, Calif., Quessenberry was sidelined his rookie season with a foot injury and spent the year on injured reserve.

Quessenberry inspired his teammates and coaches with his determination and grit to beat cancer. There was a Team DQ campaign and a $100,000 donation for lymphoma research.

"He's an inspiration," O'Brien said. "We've got a guy that can play football. Let's give him every opportunity to beat cancer first and then get back to where he can actually get out on the field and possibly compete and help us win."
          Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
            One in the same.
            Yeah I started on the other board before this version. Doc is a good guy gave a lot of good info on Dom. Davis back in the day.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post
              I suspect there is some sort of unwritten code that none of the other teams would claim him so the Texans could move him to the IR/NFI until the Cancer treatments have ended and he has a chance to get back and keep his strength. I'm sure it's been a yo-yo between gaining and losing strength depending on the course of Chemo treatments.
              Yeah that's going to be the toughest roadblock for DQ-maintaining a consistent weight and consistent strength while on chemo treatments can be very tough I'm sure. Even if he plays next year, he probably won't play alot of downs. It's definitely unlikely that he will ever be able to be a reliable starter on the line.

But still, the mere fact that he has a chance to play again whatsoever is a huge victory in of itself. Truly a strong man.
              sigpic

“Qui n’avance pas, recule”

Comment

David Quessenberry celebrates end of chemo, breaks bell

HOUSTON - Houston Texans offensive lineman David Quessenberry was no match for the bell he rang signifying the completion of his chemotherapy treatments.

Quessenberry posted a video to Instagram of the moment in which he rang the bell that quickly broke from the wall. Quessenberry quickly apologizes to nurses for the mishap, while his family and friends can’t help but laugh at the situation.

“It has Been more than 1000 days since my fight began,” Quessenberry said, in part, on Instagram. “Yesterday I received my last infusion of chemo therapy. The things I have seen and the things I felt through my fight I could never forget… I don't know what to say to every one other than Thank You, I Love you, and I will never forget you and the kindness and Love you showed me… P.S. this bell just like cancer never stood a chance...”

Congratulations, David!

cancer did NOT make me strong.
                cancer did NOT make my family strong.
                cancer did NOT galvanize my community.
                cancer did NOT bring rival team Head Coaches and players together to support me.
                cancer did NOT bring people together.
                cancer did NOT make people travel hundreds of miles to help me and my family in our time of need.
                cancer did NOT make people pray for me.
                cancer did NOT bring me my Angel.
                cancer did NOT make me thankful for my life.
                cancer did NOT make me a believer that there is more to this world than just our eyes can see.
                cancer did NOT shape me into the man I am today.

Love did.

It has Been more than 1000 days since my fight began. Yesterday I received my last infusion of chemo therapy. The things I have seen and the things I felt through my fight I could never forget and last night after a full day at MD Anderson I watched a video that @meeeglit put together for me. It was filled with short clips of the people I hold most dear to me that lasted for more than an hour and every second of It was absolutely incredible. I don't know what to say to every one other than Thank You, I Love you, and I will never forget you and the kindness and Love you showed me.

-DQ
                "Love backed by Faith is unstoppable"

P.S. this bell just like cancer never stood a chance...
                Wow, faaaantastic news!

I couldn't be happier.
                Last edited by H2O4me; 04-13-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                  David Quessenberry celebrates end of chemo, breaks bell

Wow, faaaantastic news!

I couldn't be happier.
                  Great guy, and i know its a long shot but it would be great to see him get to play.
                  sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind who wouldn't be pulling for him to succeed beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

He was a sixth round pick which would normally place him squarely on the bubble to make the roster right off the bat. Then a broken ankle which, with all due respect, may just have easily extended his shot as hindered it. Finally the three year battle to beat cancer and regain his strength and ability to absorb punishment.

The reality of the NFL is that four years removed from meaningful contact on the playing field, his making the squad, even as a backup, is a long shot. But everyone would love to see this as the opening chapters in made-for-tv movie about the struggles overcome in the life of a multi-year All Pro player. I know I would.
                    https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post
                      I can't imagine anyone in their right mind who wouldn't be pulling for him to succeed beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

He was a sixth round pick which would normally place him squarely on the bubble to make the roster right off the bat. Then a broken ankle which, with all due respect, may just have easily extended his shot as hindered it. Finally the three year battle to beat cancer and regain his strength and ability to absorb punishment.

The reality of the NFL is that four years removed from meaningful contact on the playing field, his making the squad, even as a backup, is a long shot. But everyone would love to see this as the opening chapters in made-for-tv movie about the struggles overcome in the life of a multi-year All Pro player. I know I would.
                      I daresay he has kept in close contact and may even attended meetings when he could and watched film and even studied the playbook and even some workout/training, but no actual action will see him badly out of football nick unfortunately.
                      If he was a few years younger his chances of full recovery to football mode would be higher.
                      If he were to make the squad you could really say it is a miracle.
                      1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Amazing to see! And I think now he can train and eat full go. I would not be surprised to see him make the team. He is not his pre-illness size, but he is still not small. Multiple reports said he was doing great before he was diagnosed and had bigger issues to deal with.

I think OB and the staff will put him on the PUP list to start the season. Let him get size/strength back and then if he is doing good...activate him. He will be going through OTAs and such and TC it seems like from the interviews.
                        JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Worth watching... twice:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/sta...19240502640640

Comment

Wow, thanks for sharing that man, incredible story. It would be better if he made the team as starter

Comment

Wow, thanks for sharing that man, incredible story. It would be better if he made the team as starter
                              If he gets in to play just one play...

And he will because O'Brien is that kind of guy...

I'm going to be crying like a little girl.

Comment

Mark Berman‏ @MarkBermanFox26
                                #Texans OT David Quessenberry and his brother Paul, who's in the Marine Corps, at Minute Maid Park for the @JJWatt Charity Classic

Comment

Working...
                                X