Braxton Miller, WR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
    He is raw but he has talent and play making ability. He needs to show us something in the KC game because we will need some sparks from everyone.
    Not at all what I wanted to see from Braxton. Hopefully he's back soon.

.........I bet Cecil Shorts would be nice right about now to pick up the BMiller pieces. So annoyed we kept Mumph over Shorts.

Comment

• They are not utilizing Braxton right.
      sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

• Anyone know what a realistic timeline for a strained hammy is? Hearing there is actually a small chance he can play Thurs, but that doesn't sound right to me. Plus, with as little as we are using him it is probably best to give him this short week as a Bye Week of sorts.

Comment

• Originally posted by dallas_texan View Post
          Anyone know what a realistic timeline for a strained hammy is?...
          Highly variable dependent on severity,

But if it required an MRI I'd think it'll be weeks not days.

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
          They are not utilizing Braxton right.
          How so?
          Last edited by H2O4me; 09-20-2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

Highly variable dependent on severity,

But if it required an MRI I'd think it'll be weeks not days.

How so?
            Man they are not getting that man in open space. They are only using him in short situation in which is getting him killed. They are not allowing to run the entire route tree.
            sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
              Man they are not getting that man in open space.
              He's not getting separation, yet.

They are only using him in short situation in which is getting him killed.
              He's a Slot WR, specifically of the Quick/SAQ type... like Edleman and Welker. His job is to work the quick game: short/intermediate.

They are not allowing to run the entire route tree.
              We run combination concepts. Shifty Slot WRs run drags, quick ins/outs, and spot routes. We'll combine a lot of rubs using the Slot WR.

Braxton still has a lot to learn about playing WR in NFL. He's played receiver for what, 2 years? Takes time to acclimate to what works and what doesn't. He does not have the long speed to run away from guys like Will. His entree is his short area quickness -- which needs to be applied in and out of his breaks. There's many subtleties to playing WR that he'll have to learn.

Julian Edelman was a QB in college like Braxton and he didn't score 3 TDs until his 4th season.

Comment

• PDS @PatDStat
                Braxton Miller was a full participant in practice. #Texans

Comment

WIDE RECEIVERS COACH SEAN RYAN
                  Can you give us an update on WR Braxton Miller and what you expect from him over the second half of the season?
                  “My big thing for Braxton going into the second half, and I was really preaching it to him last week, we need him to play fast. Just play fast. Even if you’re not sure, cut it loose, let’s go, that’s what we saw on tape from him. He’s an athletic guy. He’s got great change of direction and all those skills. So we just need to see it. We need him to process things a little bit quicker, which is coming with experience and practice and all that, and play fast.”
                  Do you think you need to do more teaching with WR Braxton Miller since he hasn’t played the positon for very long?
                  “Certainly that plays into it but at the end of the day he’s a rookie so I don’t think more than any other rookie needs in terms of teaching them coverage and things like that. The thing about Braxton, like all the young guys in the room, they really want to get better. When you have that, that’s all you can ask for. They want to spend the extra time. They want to improve. That’s the battle and those guys have it. I’m encouraged by that.”
                  Not unexpected, Braxton is a project that needs time to learn subtleties of playing WR in NFL. "Play faster", "process quicker" = still in thinking vs. reacting mode.

Comment

• Texans rookie Braxton Miller has bruised, sprained shoulder

By Aaron Wilson
                    Texans rookie wide receiver Braxton Miller didn't suffer structural damage when he landed on his right shoulder against the Green Bay Packers.

Miller bruised and slightly sprained his shoulder and is dealing with soreness. His arm was in a sling after the game.

Miller hasn't been ruled out for Sunday's road game against the Indianapolis Colts as the Texans continue to evaluate his status each day.

Miller was down on the field for several minutes being attended to by trainers after landing hard on his shoulder after being unable to catch a Brock Osweiler pass over the middle in the second quarter.

A converted quarterback from Ohio State, the third-round draft pick has caught 15 passes for 99 yards and one touchdown this season.

Was some real concern he'd need yet another surgery on that shoulder. Still might.

Comment

Was some real concern he'd need yet another surgery on that shoulder. Still might.

Texans placing Braxton Miller on injured reserve

By Aaron Wilson
                      Braxton Miller's rookie season officially ended Tuesday when the Texans placed the former Ohio State star quarterback on injured reserve.

Miller was dealing with a sprained and bruised shoulder.

The third-round draft pick got hurt against the Green Bay Packers two games ago when he landed hard on his right shoulder and didn't return. He was in a sling after the game.

Miller was replaced on the active roster by rookie wide receiver Wendell Williams, who was promoted from the practice squad.

Miller was the Texans' starting slot wide receiver. He started six of 10 games played, also missing two games earlier this season with a hamstring injury. The former Big Ten Conference Offensive Player of the Year finished his first NFL season with 15 catches for 99 yards and one touchdown, three runs for zero yards and three kickoff returns for 41 yards and one punt return for one yard.

The Texans now have four wide receivers on the active roster, including starters DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller, third receiver Keith Mumphery and Williams. They can also utilize hybrid rookie tight end Stephen Anderson in the slot.

Comment

• Well that was anticlimactic!
                        Alan Jackson isn't the only one who wishes Dallas was in Tennessee!

Comment

• I'm not sure this is going to work out. Doesn't really demonstrate an understanding of the nuances of playing WR in NFL yet. He's good with the ball in his hands, but he needs to get some separation.

Comment

I'm not sure this is going to work out. Doesn't really demonstrate an understanding of the nuances of playing WR in NFL yet. He's good with the ball in his hands, but he needs to get some separation.
                            In another post (panthers game day thread?) you mentioned this being an issue shared across all receivers. IIRC, our WRs route running and separation was pretty abysmal last year too. Is this an issue with coaching, lack of discipline, or players not having the skillset to create separation? Does scheme and route combination come into play?

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post
                              In another post (panthers game day thread?) you mentioned this being an issue shared across all receivers. IIRC, our WRs route running and separation was pretty abysmal last year too. Is this an issue with coaching, lack of discipline, or players not having the skillset to create separation? Does scheme and route combination come into play?
                              Our WR depth ends at DHop/Fuller. Smith needs to draft better prospects.

You can't scheme talent or smart/quick mind into a guy. Strong hasn't shown he's got it between the ears. Mumphery same without the traits. Braxton still inconsistent and gets injured. Why you'll see more RBs in pattern.

If DHop ever gets injured, we are a zero at WR. Can't leave holes like that in your roster.

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL
                              Texans wide receiver Braxton Miller has a mild sprained ankle sustained against Carolina, outlook is regarded as good.
                              "Mild" = not high ankle. Still difficult injury.

Comment

Our WR depth ends at DHop/Fuller. Smith needs to draft better prospects.

You can't scheme talent or smart/quick mind into a guy. Strong hasn't shown he's got it between the ears. Mumphery same without the traits. Braxton still inconsistent and gets injured. Why you'll see more RBs in pattern.

If DHop ever gets injured, we are a zero at WR. Can't leave holes like that in your roster.

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL

"Mild" = not high ankle. Still difficult injury.
                                No, but you can reduce the number of multi-read routes to avoid needing a smart / quick minded guy. That'd probably require retooling the entire offensive playbook, but at what point do you adapt to you personnel? Depending on what priority you give this issue, it may be worth looking into. I understand there is more than one way to skin a cat, and separation can be given through play action, route combination, and having a deep threat on the field -- just a thought.

I'm hopeful that Braxton Miller progresses into a solid slot receiver, but look forward to seeing McCarron, Ellington, and maybe even Ervin take over the role while Miller deals with his sprain the next couple weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X