DJ Reader, DL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJ Reader, DL

Defensive tackle out of Clemson DJ Reader is the final pick for our Houston Texans in the 2016 draft and a very good one. Welcome to Houston!
    ~Your Weekly Game Thread Creator~

GO TEXANS!!!

Finally dline lol
    sigpic

Comment

330 pounds. Big boy. Seems like a productive player for Clemson.

Big school. A lot of tackles. Why did he slip to the 5th?
      sigpic

Comment

great pick and great draft for the Texans. Lets get ready for some football!!!

Comment

• 6'3"HEIGHT
          • 33 5/8"ARM LENGTH
          • 327LBS.WEIGHT
          • 9 1/2"HANDS
          OVERVIEW
          It's been a tough road for Reader since his father passed away in 2014, but if NFL scouts believe he is through that rough patch, they will have great interest in his ability to eat space in the middle of the defensive line. Just before the 2015 season began, Reader decided to leave the team for personal reasons. He returned in October, playing nine games on the year (13 tackles, 1.5 for loss). Expectations were high for Reader coming into the season because the Tigers lost a lot of talent to the NFL, and he flashed as a top reserve as a sophomore (43 tackles, five TFL, three sacks) and junior (27 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks). Even as a freshman, who was highly-rated as both an offensive line and defensive line prospect out of high school, Reader earned a lot of playing time (40 tackles). He even played first base for the Clemson baseball in the spring of 2013, though his playing time was limited (0-for-3, three putouts in seven games).

ANALYSIS
          STRENGTHS
          Carries his 340 pounds fairly well on his stout frame. Almost always the low man at the point of attack. Able to leverage blockers and displace them. Plays with enough motor to chase the play down the field. If single blocked, will absolutely push the pocket as a rusher.
          WEAKNESSES
          Rotational defensive lineman who lacked production. Gets initial push, but fails to shed blockers in time to make many tackles. Needs more coaching to improve his hands. Once he's on the move and engaged with a blocker, fails to consistently find the ballcarrier and ball.
          DRAFT PROJECTION
          Rounds 6 or 7
          SOURCES TELL US
          "Just a plugger. He looks good at the Senior Bowl in one-on-one drills because he's stronger than these guys, but scouts tell me that in games he's limited." -- NFC defensive line coach
          NFL COMPARISON
          Justin Ellis
          BOTTOM LINE
          Squatty, strong nose tackle who is able to push smaller centers around in phone booth battles, but unable to consistently be a disruptive force up front. Reader has the strength and potential to believe that his Senior Bowl flashes could turn into something more in the NFL, even though that might just be as a career backup.

D.J. Reader, 3-4DE, Clemson
          Height: 6-3.
          Weight: 340.
          Arm: 32.63.
          Hand: 9.
          40 Time: 5.33.
          Projected Round (2016): 3-5.
          4/27/16: Reader is very tough to move at the point of attack. The heavy nose tackle is a good run-lane plugger who would fit as a nose tackle in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. He never made a lot of plays, but still filled his gap and ate up blockers. He had a respectable performance at the combine.

In 2015, Reader totaled 13 tackles with .5 sacks. He had 17, 20 and 23 tackles, respectively, the previous three years. Reader notched three sacks as a sophomore. He had a quality week at the Senior Bowl.
          Last edited by H2O4me; 04-30-2016, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Love DJ Reader for us, been mocking him all along!

This is a guy who'll you groom to replace Vince Wilfork.

You saw the significance of his presence when he was out for Clemson after his father passed away and that line kind of stalled. When Reader returned to play, Dodd and Lawson got a lot better. Not something you'll see in stats.

I'm pumped, fatty fat fat!

Comment

A plus selection right here. This youngster is a beast.

Great job Texans

Welcome to the Houston Texans big fella.

Love this pick
              sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

Originally posted by H-Texans2010 View Post
                330 pounds. Big boy. Seems like a productive player for Clemson.

Big school. A lot of tackles. Why did he slip to the 5th?
                He won't be on the field on 3rd down. 2 down player, APPARENTLY the same reason Billings fell in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                  Love DJ Reader for us, been mocking him all along!

This is a guy who'll you groom to replace Vince Wilfork.

You saw the significance of his presence when he was out for Clemson after his father passed away and that line kind of stalled. When Reader returned to play, Dodd and Lawson got a lot better. Not something you'll see in stats.

I'm pumped, fatty fat fat!

If he can help Dodd and Lawson like that, imagine him doing that with JJ.

Comment

Originally posted by horn4texans View Post
                    If he can help Dodd and Lawson like that, imagine him doing that with JJ.
                    I hope he strikes up a great friendship with Vince.
                    He can learn a lot in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
                      He won't be on the field on 3rd down. 2 down player, APPARENTLY the same reason Billings fell in the draft.
                      I agree 100%, I would had taking Billings over Reader. But Reader is not bad, just don't think he is potentially as good as Billings.

Comment

Talk about ending your draft with a bang!

Reader is definitely a true plugger, and should be a perfect student to learn being Wilfork. I know some scouts think he's not explosive enough in game action, but that could come in time with good coaching. Even if he ends up being just a 2 down plugger, that will still be helpful for our defensive line and hopefully our linebackers up the middle. He always at least did a solid job occupying blockers, which is what Crennel mainly looks for from his nose tackles anyway.

As for the DE spot, I think the coaching staff must be very, very high on Covington. The fact that we didn't resign Crick and didn't make the position a priority at all likely confirms that.
                        sigpic

“Qui n’avance pas, recule”

Comment

I've had this guy as our 5b pick in almost every mock I've done this year. Very excited. I think being around players like JJ and WV as well as a 6th round pick that has shown to be highly motivated in Covington, will pay off very well as a nice project.

He definitely has work to do, but he gets low every time he lines up and has a high motor. Those are the two traits you can't teach. And he already has the size. I think he can play rotationally this year, and potentially be out starting NT when VW leaves.

Comment

Another good pick, whatever closet they locked Rick smith in is helping lol

This pick does what it can to balance all the speed they picked earlier.
                            John Simon Probowl/HoF/President/Galactic Emporer/Savior of the Universe 2016

Comment

Originally posted by AlphabetZebra View Post
                              Another good pick, whatever closet they locked Rick smith in is helping lol

This pick does what it can to balance all the speed they picked earlier.
                              Well, this and Martin! Great picks.

Hopefully we can grab a Vet TE that he's cut soon also.

Comment

Working...
                              X