Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texans Coaching Staff Shake-up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Texans Coaching Staff Shake-up

    If you're wondering who's pulling the strings,

    How did Aaron Wilson get this information two days ago?

    If you think O'Brien leaked it, you're wrong.

    Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
    More decisions for 2017 #Texans offense: Bill O'Brien to call plays/will not hire offensive coor. Receivers coach Sean Ryan now to coach QBs

    #Texans promoting Mike Vrabel to def coordinator and Romeo Crennel to assistant head coach, sources confirmed & as 1st reported by @AlbertBreer
    Rick always leaks to a national guy and a local guy. Albert Breer this time.



    Bill O'Brien's best play-call at OC may be an audible: hiring himself

    By Aaron Wilson, Houston Chronicle
    January 16, 2017
    After making the difficult, yet necessary call of jettisoning longtime friend George Godsey as his offensive coordinator, fiery coach Bill O'Brien has a big decision to make about the direction of the Texans' beleaguered offense.

    O'Brien's next, best and most logical play-calling decision should be hiring himself for the job, formally or informally.

    O'Brien really doesn't have an in-house candidate besides himself on the staff that makes any sense.

    And it wouldn't be a surprise in league circles if O'Brien ultimately decides to operate as his own offensive coordinator next season rather than make an outside hire who wouldn't be as well-versed in the complicated system O'Brien brought with him from his days as the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator collaborating with star quarterback Tom Brady.

    Under that scenario, O'Brien could then shuffle his offensive coaching staff to fill positions.

    O'Brien could have receivers coach Sean Ryan, a former New York Giants quarterbacks and receivers coach, shift over to coaching the quarterbacks. Tight ends coach John Perry could coach the receivers. And the Texans could elevate offensive quality control coach-assistant offensive line coach Tim Kelly to tight ends coach.


    O'Brien has the most extensive knowledge and background in the system and would likely be the most aggressive play-caller.

    O'Brien was already calling the plays periodically throughout the season after taking over play-calling duties from Godsey following a 27-0 shutout loss to the Patriots in the third game of the season.

    O'Brien and Godsey later collaborated on the play-calling, standing side by side on the sideline holding play sheets.

    With two years remaining on a five-year contract, O'Brien might as well bet on himself and push the chips into the middle of the table by doubling down on himself as the de facto offensive coordinator regardless of job titles.

    The Texans finished 29th in total offense and 31st in red-zone offense last season. It's unlikely to think the offense would regress more with O'Brien having a full season at the controls.

    It makes sense to think that inserting himself might provide an upgrade to a moribund attack that struggled mightily last season as $72 million quarterback experiment Brock Osweiler threw 16 interceptions.

    Could the Texans use some more creative ideas offensively? Absolutely, but their greatest problem is solving a quarterback quandary that's holding back a division champion that's otherwise built to be an annual playoff contender.
    If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

  • #2
    Not being local I never knew that Rick would leak info.

    I like him even less now and I already wish for him to be fired.

    Comment


    • #3
      Now you'll see headlines like "make or break season" for O'Brien, "doubled-down on himself", and articles about what a good GM Rick has actually been... contrary to popular opinion.

      All spoon-fed to local and select national media and lapped-up and regurgitated back to you.

      This is not about creating success...

      This is about job preservation for Smith.

      He did same when Kubiak was railing against him as GM.

      If you challenge him, you'll lose... because McNairs see him as family.

      So O'Brien either turns Rick's/McNair's QB Brock Osweiler into a Super Bowl quarterback or he finds success elsewhere...

      And Rick's Texans will continue to be Rick's Texans.

      If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

      Comment


      • #4
        Albert Breer/MMQB -- "What you're trying to avoid if you're the Texans is a 2014 49ers situation"

        Jim Harbaugh was the Head Coach,

        Trent Baalke was the GM,

        Throughout the 2014 season Baalke undermined Harbaugh (and their QB who did not trust Baalke) at every chance. They rarely ever spoke to each other as the year moved on.

        Baalke fired Harbaugh, who was commonly recognized as a pretty successful Head Coach.

        49ers have gone 7-25 after Harbaugh.
        If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
          Albert Breer/MMQB -- "What you're trying to avoid if you're the Texans is a 2014 49ers situation"

          Jim Harbaugh was the Head Coach,

          Trent Baalke was the GM,

          Throughout the 2014 season Baalke undermined Harbaugh (and their QB who did not trust Baalke) at every chance. They rarely ever spoke to each other as the year moved on.

          Baalke fired Harbaugh, who was commonly recognized as a pretty successful Head Coach.

          49ers have gone 7-25 after Harbaugh.
          If this happens, fairweather or not, I will be DONE with football.

          $ In Bill We Trust &

          Comment


          • #6
            Rick and Bill should be able to fight this out. Put boxing gloves on both of them, lock the two of them together in one of those large storage containers, then drive the container out of state while they fight it out.
            ~ this is not the signature you're looking for ~

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Zzjohnrock View Post
              Rick and Bill should be able to fight this out. Put boxing gloves on both of them, lock the two of them together in one of those large storage containers, then drive the container out of state while they fight it out.
              Bill would knock Rick out before they got out of Houston's city limits.  No need to drive out of state.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                Now you'll see headlines like "make or break season" for O'Brien, "doubled-down on himself", and articles about what a good GM Rick has actually been... contrary to popular opinion.

                All spoon-fed to local and select national media and lapped-up and regurgitated back to you.

                This is not about creating success...

                This is about job preservation for Smith.

                He did same when Kubiak was railing against him as GM.

                If you challenge him, you'll lose... because McNairs see him as family.

                So O'Brien either turns Rick's/McNair's QB Brock Osweiler into a Super Bowl quarterback or he finds success elsewhere...

                And Rick's Texans will continue to be Rick's Texans.

                God Help Us ! Are we ever going to see an AFC contender out of this squad ?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hawkeye View Post
                  God Help Us ! Are we ever going to see an AFC contender out of this squad ?
                  With those 3 in charge...



                  Gonna take a miracle.
                  If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

                    With those 3 in charge...



                    Gonna take a miracle.
                    I have to believe things would be different with a competent QB.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by aussiedave View Post
                      I have to believe things would be different with a competent QB.
                      Sadly, Rick won't make that happen. And Bob is too dumb of an owner. What really sucks is after he passes we still have to deal with Cal. Ugh.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well Thank You Bill O'Brien......NOT. This is your last season here, I figure we'll be lucky to go 7-9 & finish 3rd in our division. Then it's back to the drawing board...Oh wait. The Texans haven't even found the drawing board yet !

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hawkeye View Post
                          Well Thank You Bill O'Brien......NOT. This is your last season here, I figure we'll be lucky to go 7-9 & finish 3rd in our division. Then it's back to the drawing board...Oh wait. The Texans haven't even found the drawing board yet !
                          "Lucky to go 7-9" when we've gone 9-7 every single year? What's your thought process on that?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X