Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romeo Crennel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Romeo Crennel

    Why? I know his negative stint in coaching has been as a Head Coach, but what makes him intriguing as a DC? I don't ask why because I don't like the pick I'm just ignorant to his achievements or accolades as a DC.

  • #2
    Well he does have like 5 Super Bowl rings other then that hasn't had a ton of success. Again, whose your QB when you get there?

    Originally posted by CorpusTexan View Post
    Why? I know his negative stint in coaching has been as a Head Coach, but what makes him intriguing as a DC? I don't ask why because I don't like the pick I'm just ignorant to his achievements or accolades as a DC.
    I.R.H.T.W.I.T.L.

    Comment


    • #3
      Same here. Been reading up a bit on him. He uses his DE's for mostly run-stuffing rather than getting to the QB and depends more on his OLB's to get pressure.

      1. How will he use JJ Watt the best defensive player in the league? (Better be more than just stopping the run)
      2. Our OLB's are below mediocre, how are they going to get to the QB?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
        Same here. Been reading up a bit on him. He uses his DE's for mostly run-stuffing rather than getting to the QB and depends more on his OLB's to get pressure.

        1. How will he use JJ Watt the best defensive player in the league? (Better be more than just stopping the run)
        2. Our OLB's are below mediocre, how are they going to get to the QB?
        Please say this is not true. All the excitement I have from the Bill O'Brien hire is now gone.

        If you are not on the edge and creative in the NFL you are moving backward. Crennel is 66, I do not have much faith he will be innovative to get the most out of our players. He is likely to run the same tired 3-4 defense he has always ran - which was awful in Cleveland and KC. It will ask Watt to primarily hold up blockers meaning we have Watt for only 2 more years - better exercise that 5th year now! It will feature an overweight out of shape nose tackle who will get stuck on the field due to the newer uptempo offenses.

        Awful, Awful if this is true. Sad day to be a Texans fan

        Comment


        • #5
          So what's good about this guy? Why would O'Brien want him?

          Comment


          • #6
            How often is anyone in base defense anyway? Most of the time they will be in nickel and dime with four linemen...I think Watt and his stats will be fine. There is only one stat that matters anyway.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by frethack View Post
              How often is anyone in base defense anyway? Most of the time they will be in nickel and dime with four linemen...I think Watt and his stats will be fine. There is only one stat that matters anyway.
              Not about Watt's stats. It's about using him as effectively as possible. He's a pass-rusher and a great run-stuffer all in one. To put him in position to only stop the run isn't using him at his maximum potential.

              Comment


              • #8
                2nd guessing

                It amazes me that people are already second guessing the speculation as to who BO'B wants to hire as assistant coaches.

                I'm glad we don't have access to what he had for breakfast. Eggs over easy and bacon. And I thought he was a scrambled eggs and ham kind of guy. Oh no, there goes the season. I'll worry about this all day.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gs27 View Post
                  Please say this is not true. All the excitement I have from the Bill O'Brien hire is now gone.

                  If you are not on the edge and creative in the NFL you are moving backward. Crennel is 66, I do not have much faith he will be innovative to get the most out of our players. He is likely to run the same tired 3-4 defense he has always ran - which was awful in Cleveland and KC. It will ask Watt to primarily hold up blockers meaning we have Watt for only 2 more years - better exercise that 5th year now! It will feature an overweight out of shape nose tackle who will get stuck on the field due to the newer uptempo offenses.

                  Awful, Awful if this is true. Sad day to be a Texans fan
                  Knee Jerk Reaction Much? After the word flexible and adaptable were used about 100 times in the press conference, you think they are going to be married to a particular style?

                  The first meeting will be with JJ will about what he likes to do and how they can best utilize his skills...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
                    Not about Watt's stats. It's about using him as effectively as possible. He's a pass-rusher and a great run-stuffer all in one. To put him in position to only stop the run isn't using him at his maximum potential.
                    ...and if we are in nickel and dime 60 - 70% of the time (as most teams are), he will be rushing from a 4-3 front, and will not solely be a space eater/run stuffer. I cant imagine that a DC of Crennel's quality will not adapt his defense to his greatest weapon.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't think JJ's role will be any different than it is now. They're not going to tell him to just hold the edge. I mean he drafted Poe to rush the passer and he's a DT. The main difference, I think will be the secondary will not be in man all the time and we will have a more traditional NT. He's not going to take the Defensive player of the year out of the game.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-4-front/?_r=0

                        http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/5...ity-modern-3-4

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by texanfan#1 View Post
                          I don't think JJ's role will be any different than it is now. They're not going to tell him to just hold the edge. I mean he drafted Poe to rush the passer and he's a DT. The main difference, I think will be the secondary will not be in man all the time and we will have a more traditional NT. He's not going to take the Defensive player of the year out of the game.
                          For those thinking Watt will be asked to do the same thing, read this. All I had to do was google, Romeo Crennel 2 gap 3-4 to find it.

                          He asks his NT and DEs to hold the line and occupy blockers to free up linebackers. It is what it is, very disappointing hire.

                          http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/08/2...nnels-defense/

                          Wade scheme asked Watt to play like a 4-3 under tackle, penetrating gaps, with his choice of A or B gap.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Disappointing hire? Has he been hired and do we know for a fact he would bring the EXACT same system in regardless of the talent? Wait and see people.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CorpusTexan View Post
                              Why? I know his negative stint in coaching has been as a Head Coach, but what makes him intriguing as a DC? I don't ask why because I don't like the pick I'm just ignorant to his achievements or accolades as a DC.
                              A little doubtful about Crennel myself - for instance, why fire one "players coach" just to turn around and hire another?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X