Bill O'Brien

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill O'Brien

I just thought I would voice my appreciation, and since there doesn’t seem to currently be a thread on this topic maybe we could use this one to share our opinions about it. If you look at the group of coaches that were hired in the off-season this year I really think the Texans got the best man for the job.

I really like his demeanor, it’s not quite a polar opposite of our previous coach, but he seems to have that “edge” that most of us were looking for in our head coach. I think one of the main complaints we have had over the last few years was that the coaches never seemed to make second half adjustments! It was mind-boggling, the opposing teams always seemed to have our number after half-time. But this year I think it’s safe to say that OB makes those adjustments, and for the most part they appear to work. (Although I guess you could argue that whatever game plan they start the game with might not be working because the offense tends to start out slow.)

I think he has put together a pretty good coaching staff for his first year. It’s too bad he wasn’t able to get Mike Munchak to be the O-Line coach, but then again the O-Line seems to be playing a lot better lately anyways.
    Other quick points:

-He’s very candid in his Monday radio show. It’s cool listening to him and John Harris interact.
    -He doesn’t seem to mind “stepping on the throat” like in the Titans game.
    -He wasn’t afraid to make the QB change, although I do wish he did it earlier. (Hindsight though, oh well.)
    So in short, I’m hoping for the best. Thanks Bill O’Brien for choosing to come to Houston.

(If the thread needs to be merged, sorry ahead of time)

I still have my reservations.

I thought we'd be playing for a play off berth in week 17, I figured we're talented enough (not saying we have a lot of talent) to be in such a position considering the schedule. If we win the next two games, then that's exactly where we'll be. If we lose one of the two, then we might be there, if we lose both... there's no chance. So we'll see.

Sunday is a must win. If he's the guy we need, he'll figure out how to make that happen. Even though Fitz will probably fumble on the game winning drive, or Andre will drop/fumble on that drive, or both... OB has to figure out how to make that happen in a place we've never won before against a team we've rarely beat.

& if he pulls it off, he's got to do it again.

We're about to find out a lot about OB & the mental make-up of his team.
    sigpic

Comment

He's def come in and made a difference in the mental makeup of our team. They have played hard all year long and seem to never give up or be out of gas.

I do wish he would throw the WR screen play completely out of the playbook, and at times I really do question his play calling. Early on it was both his play calling and clock management...whether that was on him or the team or the Qb who knows...but ever since Mallet came in and ran the uptempo no huddle with conviction the team has seemed to respond to it and it looks as if fitz finally got the hint and idea on how to run it...

I also question the way he uses players...I think he took entirely way too long to pull the plug on fitz and the use of our TE's and jumbo packages....we have a road grading FB who is rarely used for that purpose..other than those concerns he's done a helluva job.

Much props to his ability to scrounge talent from other teams and making roster moves...thats certainly something that was severly lacking in the last regime...people on these boards have stopped clamoring about "how such and such player is a cast off from someones practice squad so they cant possibly have any talent to crack the starting lineup"

So kudos the to job he's done, and the changes he's made. As long as he continues to improve and correct his shortcomings then I see a bright future for this team with him at the helm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post
        He's def come in and made a difference in the mental makeup of our team. They have played hard all year long and seem to never give up or be out of gas.
        I'm definitely not seeing this. I don't think the Texans gave up last year at all. What was it 5 games by 3 points or less? 7 less than 6?

This team has always been tough in that regard. Where they've been week & continue to show weakness is where just about any penalty kills a drive, or leads to the defense giving up points. It's getting to the end of the game & getting that stop to win, or put together that final drive to win the game.

Dallas, Indy, Pittsburgh.... All we had to do was finish & we'd have won those games, but we didn't. Not 2 out of 3, not 1 out of 3.... 0 for 3. That's no tougher than the Texans were last year.

Not winning @Indy, not beating Baltimore in a must win situation.... that's what the old Texans would do. Time to see if there's been a change, if we are in fact "mentally tougher"
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thunderkyss View Post
          I'm definitely not seeing this. I don't think the Texans gave up last year at all. What was it 5 games by 3 points or less? 7 less than 6?

This team has always been tough in that regard. Where they've been week & continue to show weakness is where just about any penalty kills a drive, or leads to the defense giving up points. It's getting to the end of the game & getting that stop to win, or put together that final drive to win the game.

Dallas, Indy, Pittsburgh.... All we had to do was finish & we'd have won those games, but we didn't. Not 2 out of 3, not 1 out of 3.... 0 for 3. That's no tougher than the Texans were last year.

Not winning @Indy, not beating Baltimore in a must win situation.... that's what the old Texans would do. Time to see if there's been a change, if we are in fact "mentally tougher"
          Not forgetting we lost to Indy by less than 6 outscoring them 28 - 9 in the second quarter.
          Please do not forget that Colts have a very good QB, settled team and coaching staff that know their system.
          They earned their 9 - 4 record.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post
            Not forgetting we lost to Indy by less than 6 outscoring them 28 - 9 in the second quarter.
            Please do not forget that Colts have a very good QB, settled team and coaching staff that know their system.
            They earned their 9 - 4 record.
            Please, how does that change anything? Losing close games is still losing close games. I'll believe they're tougher when they start winning those close games.
            sigpic

Comment

Please, how does that change anything? Losing close games is still losing close games. I'll believe they're tougher when they start winning those close games.
              and we will as soon as we get a qb that is worth a ****....big difference when u have a big ben, a romo, or a luck at the helm...when u fight that hard and barely come away with a loss...u have to like our chances once we get Mallet or a qb that plays better than fitz...thats all Im saying...he's done a helluva job given what he has at the qb position....our last regime played well but again we had a broken noodle arm qb that cracked under pressure...so take it for what it is.

Comment

and we will as soon as we get a qb that is worth a ****....big difference when u have a big ben, a romo, or a luck at the helm...when u fight that hard and barely come away with a loss...u have to like our chances once we get Mallet or a qb that plays better than fitz...thats all Im saying...he's done a helluva job given what he has at the qb position....our last regime played well but again we had a broken noodle arm qb that cracked under pressure...so take it for what it is.
                Agree ! I think if Mallett does as well as I think/hope he will, we will quickly become a perennial playoff Team ? I think we could be in a Superbowl in the next 3 to 4 yrs if we find or have (Mallett) that long awaited QB ! It would be nice to draft knowing your really good at QB #1 & #2 . Just Imagine what we will be able to do its exciting as heck IMHO !!

Comment

and we will as soon as we get a qb that is worth a ****....
                  Careful.... I recently got an infraction for letting my emotions get the best of me.
                  sigpic

Comment

Careful.... I recently got an infraction for letting my emotions get the best of me.
                    hmmm...guess I should have gone with dang

Comment

Coach of the year. Much to deal with and he has exceeded expectations considering the team he has. Happy to have him.

Comment

At the Combine today

Coach O'Brien was interviewed by John Harris and Mark Vandermeer and was asked about Texans biggest needs.
                        He replied: "QB, WR, DB and ILB."
                        I can't remember word for word what the report said he said, but he gave the usual preamble about it being no secret or anything.
                        He added interestingly that RB was also a big consideration and the way he said it made me think they could go reasonably high to get one.
                        This draft could be very interesting indeed.

Comment

Coach O'Brien was interviewed by John Harris and Mark Vandermeer and was asked about Texans biggest needs.
                          He replied: "QB, WR, DB and ILB."
                          I can't remember word for word what the report said he said, but he gave the usual preamble about it being no secret or anything.
                          He added interestingly that RB was also a big consideration and the way he said it made me think they could go reasonably high to get one.
                          This draft could be very interesting indeed.
                          That's very good to hear, he's pinpointed the weaknesses on the team from last year plus a position that could use some more depth. (At RB)

With this class having SOOOOO many RB's I really hope we grab one.

Give me any of these RB's and i'll be happy.

1. Todd Gurley Georgia
                          2. Mike Davis South Carolina
                          3. Melvin Gordon Wisconsin
                          4. Tevin Coleman Indiana
                          5. Jeremy Langford Michigan State
                          6. Ameer Abdullah Nebraska
                          7. David Cobb Minnesota
                          8. David Johnson Northern Iowa
                          9. T.J. Yeldon Alabama
                          10. Jay Ajayi Boise State or Tyler Varga Yale

Blue did okay for us last year but I think all of the players I mentioned above are immediate upgrades over Blue.

As far as our other weaknesses, I think we sign a veteran QB, and we draft ILB/CB/WR.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
                            That's very good to hear, he's pinpointed the weaknesses on the team from last year plus a position that could use some more depth. (At RB)

With this class having SOOOOO many RB's I really hope we grab one.

Give me any of these RB's and i'll be happy.

1. Todd Gurley Georgia
                            2. Mike Davis South Carolina
                            3. Melvin Gordon Wisconsin
                            4. Tevin Coleman Indiana
                            5. Jeremy Langford Michigan State
                            6. Ameer Abdullah Nebraska
                            7. David Cobb Minnesota
                            8. David Johnson Northern Iowa
                            9. T.J. Yeldon Alabama
                            10. Jay Ajayi Boise State or Tyler Varga Yale

Blue did okay for us last year but I think all of the players I mentioned above are immediate upgrades over Blue.

As far as our other weaknesses, I think we sign a veteran QB, and we draft ILB/CB/WR.
                            It is a nice list and like you say Blue is competent, but is a #2. We need to groom a new #1 if we want our running game to continue to be feared and a heavy weapon for us.
                            A competition among Foster, Gurley/Gordon and Blue for instance would ensure that it will and it is very possible that Texans can trade back into the first to get one.
                            That would be the ideal scenario for mine.

Comment

It is a nice list and like you say Blue is competent, but is a #2. We need to groom a new #1 if we want our running game to continue to be feared and a heavy weapon for us.
                              A competition among Foster, Gurley/Gordon and Blue for instance would ensure that it will and it is very possible that Texans can trade back into the first to get one.
                              That would be the ideal scenario for mine.
                              One thing I'd love to see is if we traded down in the first round a couple of times, pick up a couple of second round picks and maybe a third, and then package a couple of those picks for Nick Foles and then in turn the Eagles could move up for Brett Hundley(since there is absolutely no chance they can get Mariota). That way if we resign Mallett we'll have two viable candidates in camp and we would still at least have an extra second round or third round pick to draft a good running back or receiver.
                              sigpic

“Qui n’avance pas, recule”

Comment

Working...
                              X