Bill O'Brien

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OG 2002 View Post

I'll never forget how hard some of the players on that team fought, guys like Joe Horn just absolutely broke their back for those people in New Orleans that season, but they still just kept losing. I always felt bad for those players when the Saints won the Super Bowl a few years later, those guys went through those hard times and didn't get to experience the glory that came later.

I do think O'Brien gets canned if they come out and go 1-9 or something, interim coach and probably a 3-13, 4-12 finish if that happens. I just don't think this team has what it takes to turn it around if we struggle and come out 0-4, I think this year will be all about starting strong, if we can't do that I see this team collapsing down the stretch.
    Can't forget about Deuce!

We've seen teams under O'Brien turn it around in the past.. 2015 with Hoyer / Mallet, and that thorough butt kickin the dolphins handed us put us at 1-4 before finishing the season 8-3.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post
      ...Do you think O'Brien is canned if we end up going 3-13?
      I think Billy walks away from RickyBobby... because you can't win Super Bowls with an owner that thinks it's fun to go buy/acquire players he likes -- notwithstanding the fact he knows nothing about football -- and a GM who does nothing about it, makes scouting decisions when he can't scout his way out of a wet paper bag, and is most interested in keeping his paychecks coming in each month than winning it all.

The Browns have better OTs than we do. Our starting OTs are backup level talent. Our OGs are below average at best, Jeff Allen just one more example of you typically can't buy quality OL in free agency. Our WR depth is horrible, and one more injury to a RB will put our offensive talent level in the bottom 1/3rd of the league.

People will blame injuries for the bad season, or the coaches... but this roster is as intentionally bad as it can be without an outright Jets/Bills dump.

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post
      Side Note: 3-13 would hurt a lot worse, considering we don't have our 1st or 2nd rnd pick.
      You can thank Rick for that. He's more interested quickly rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic than making smart football decisions to win it all. Jettisoning our 2018 draft will be looked back upon as a huge lost opportunity for years to come... add it to Rick's list.

We've got $37M in cap space for what? So we can spend big in free agency in 2018? Because "winning free agency" has always equated to winning it all?
      If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
        I think Billy walks away from RickyBobby...
        That's unfortunate. I really like Bill O'Brien, but having Romeo Crennel as a temporary head coach until Mike Vrable is ready to take the reigns may not be a bad thing.

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
        The Browns have better OTs than we do. Our starting OTs are backup level talent. Our OGs are below average at best, Jeff Allen just one more example of you typically can't buy quality OL in free agency. Our WR depth is horrible, and one more injury to a RB will put our offensive talent level in the bottom 1/3rd of the league.
        Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
        We've got $37M in cap space for what? So we can spend big in free agency in 2018? Because "winning free agency" has always equated to winning it all?
        Interesting that you mentioned the Browns offensive line, given that PFF ranked predicted them to be a top 5 unit this year.. Thanks in large part to "winning free agency" with J.C. Tretter and Kevin Zeitler. Not exactly offensive tackles, but examples of free agency improving your team. 6.25mil cap hit for Tretter and starting next year, 12.5mil cap hit for Zeitler totals roughly half of that 37mil.

The natural counter argument is: Rick Smith would not maximize that money the way Sashi Brown has.

I would argue that in 2011 the circumstances allowed the Texans to bring in JJo and Manning / Draft Watt, who -- in conjunction with Wade, vastly improved our Defense. I understand these moves may not have been RS specifically, my argument is geared more the organization being able to maximize that money.

Comment

• [QUOTE=H2O4me;n1246284]

People will blame injuries for the bad season, or the coaches... but this roster is as intentionally bad as it can be without an outright Jets/Bills dump.

You can thank Rick for that.

Does this mean what I think it says?
          Religion, it's the process of worshipping the messenger and ignoring the message.

Comment

• I'll just leave this here...................... Jeff Fisher.

Comment

• Originally posted by AstrosCruz View Post
              I'll just leave this here...................... Jeff Fisher.
              LOL -- Jeff Fisher hasn't had a winning record in almost a decade.

Comment

• "Most NFL coordinators have a one scheme mindset, outside of Belichick and O'Brien. They run the same thing all the time no matter what.

Nobody in the league did a better job of adjusting to his personnel and tweaking his scheme than Bill O'Brien did in Week 2. He changed his QB, the offensive line is mostly poor... he lost his LT, and yet he made the changes and got the win."

-- Bill Polian

Comment

• Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                  "Most NFL coordinators have a one scheme mindset, outside of Belichick and O'Brien. They run the same thing all the time no matter what.

Nobody in the league did a better job of adjusting to his personnel and tweaking his scheme than Bill O'Brien did in Week 2. He changed his QB, the offensive line is mostly poor... he lost his LT, and yet he made the changes and got the win."

-- Bill Polian
                  Bottom line is love him / hate him, Bill O'Brien could be a VERY effective coach if he had the support of the team owner and the general manager. If he doesn't manage to find a way to get the handcuffs removed while with this organization, he will find success with another franchise for years to come.

$ In Bill We Trust &

Comment

• When it's all said and done, yes, Bill O'Brien is not perfect.
                    However, besides the fact very few are, you cannot really gripe about his record with a less than favourable situation at QB. The coaches some would claim are pretty close to perfect have good QB's.
                    I would like to see him with a good offensive co-ordinator and some better personnel. And that would likely require a new GM.
                    It's pretty hard to complain about winning seasons every year - I bet if we let him go, a good team will snap him up before his feet hit the floor.

Comment

• He has he potential to be a great coach, but he needs to come up with some new plays. On several different occasions he ran the same play back to back to back. It won't take long for the defense to figure out what your next play is.

Comment

• Tom Brady's advice to Deshaun Watson: Listen to 'demanding' Bill O'Brien

ESPN
                        HOUSTON -- It has been six years, but New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady remembers how tough Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien can be on his quarterbacks.

“Billy’s certainly [demanding],” Brady said. “They’re all demanding. That’s what makes them great coaches. They have a sense of urgency every day. They care very deeply about how the team is performing. They want every player on the roster to perform at a very high level every day, and that’s a lot of pressure for players.

“And I think putting pressure on players is critical to getting the best out of them, because players need to be pushed. There needs to be high demand placed on what we’re doing, and typically players that don’t like that are probably the ones that don’t last very long, in my experience in the NFL.”

After Deshaun Watson was drafted, he was asked if he was prepared for that tough coaching from O’Brien, and he said he was looking forward to it.

“I love to be coached hard,” Watson said at the time. “It comes with the relationship that we are going to build and the trust that we are going to have.”

Brady’s advice for the Texans’ rookie? Listen to O’Brien.

“You’ve got to be able to take the coaching and do what’s in the best interest of the team, try to listen to the coaches, do it the best you can, go out there and play hard, play competitive, play as a team. And think that’s what makes great coaches, great teams, certainly all the ones I’ve been a part of.”

Brady said that being coached by O’Brien “absolutely” made him a better player.

“He was just a great coach. I had just a great experience being with him,” Brady said. “Billy and I developed a really great rapport. We had a lot of great conversations. He was a lot of fun to play for, and he puts a lot into it. He cares about his players. He’s got great leadership ability, and I think what he’s done both at Penn State and Houston is very, very admirable.

"I really think they’ve got a great team. He’s put together a great staff. It’s a big challenge to play against those guys. ... They have one of the best teams in the AFC.”

Comment

Working...
                        X