Deal Clowney (from another member)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deal Clowney (from another member)

Someone posted about trading Clowney and at 1st it seemed stupid. Yet sitting here for a bit it has merit.

1- We know what JJ brings and if 100% he is equal to say 2.5 players at times and is always better than 1 single player.

2- Clowney is hot right now.

3- Unlike JJ, we don't know what Clowney will bring next season.

4- Clowney has only been healthy 1 season. Can he stay out of the training room.

5- If he doesn't play great next season or is hurt, if he isn't on the roster we gain whatever he nets us and lose nothing.

I have been very critical of him and still am. He has turned in 1 very good season however. Meaning anyone looking for a good DE is very likely to pay to get Clowney. He would net us either picks, players or both.

It could backfire, but trading JJ is a huge risk also. If we do and he is the old JJ... we set the D back farther than if we trade Clowney. Plus, till they see him in action most smart teams will say no to a deal for JJ after the 2 injury riddled seasons. Meaning you will miss the draft and FAs. Clowney is healthy so the deal can be made as soon as we get the right offer. Remember Reggie White was far from done when he was shipped to GB. Consider this similar with a younger player.

NO CLOWNEY IS NOT REGGIE and may never be.
    JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
    Someone posted about trading Clowney and at 1st it seemed stupid. Yet sitting here for a bit it has merit.

1- We know what JJ brings and if 100% he is equal to say 2.5 players at times and is always better than 1 single player.

2- Clowney is hot right now.

3- Unlike JJ, we don't know what Clowney will bring next season.

4- Clowney has only been healthy 1 season. Can he stay out of the training room.

5- If he doesn't play great next season or is hurt, if he isn't on the roster we gain whatever he nets us and lose nothing.

I have been very critical of him and still am. He has turned in 1 very good season however. Meaning anyone looking for a good DE is very likely to pay to get Clowney. He would net us either picks, players or both.

It could backfire, but trading JJ is a huge risk also. If we do and he is the old JJ... we set the D back farther than if we trade Clowney. Plus, till they see him in action most smart teams will say no to a deal for JJ after the 2 injury riddled seasons. Meaning you will miss the draft and FAs. Clowney is healthy so the deal can be made as soon as we get the right offer. Remember Reggie White was far from done when he was shipped to GB. Consider this similar with a younger player.

NO CLOWNEY IS NOT REGGIE and may never be.
    I don't think we trade either since we KNOW that each is worth more than what others fear they will get. You can fill in the excuses here for why they wouldn't give up too much.

MAYBE you could justify Watt and Hopkins for Aaron Rodgers. But anything short of that will be seen as foolish within 2 or 3 years. And I highly doubt GB would do that.

So we're left with the Status Quo.
    https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post

I don't think we trade either since we KNOW that each is worth more than what others fear they will get. You can fill in the excuses here for why they wouldn't give up too much.

MAYBE you could justify Watt and Hopkins for Aaron Rodgers. But anything short of that will be seen as foolish within 2 or 3 years. And I highly doubt GB would do that.

So we're left with the Status Quo.
      Jimmy G is being shopped for a 1st...

Comment

If they will go for 1-25, I say go for it. But not with Clowney. Either/Or if you want to take a chance on another bath in a FA Wheel of Fortune Spin.

Comment

If they will go for 1-25, I say go for it. But not with Clowney. Either/Or if you want to take a chance on another bath in a FA Wheel of Fortune Spin.
          Jimmy G for Clowney dead even is a win. Only issue is if the reports that JJ is healing perfectly are false. Here is why.

1- Clowney has only been healthy 1 season

2- Jimmy knows the system and is mentored by Hoodie and Brady. All he needs to do is learn our terminology.

3- Many say that he looked like a steal from the draft (Jimmy) and he can make any throw and owner of one of the best over the shoulder fades in the corner of the end zone. A thing no QB has ever had here, pinpoint accuracy on short and mid throws and not bad deep either.

4- Clowney just had knee surgery on his other knee. We don't know what it was I have seen multiple minor injuries listed. Plus the right leg can flare at any given moment.

5- We lose zero picks but according to the scouting reports predraft we gain a legit QB. And a chance to dump Brock for a 6th or 7th...maybe better but don't think so.

This could be the single move to get from 9-7 to 11+ and a deep playoff run or SB.

Comment

Jimmy G for Clowney dead even is a win. Only issue is if the reports that JJ is healing perfectly are false. Here is why.

1- Clowney has only been healthy 1 season

2- Jimmy knows the system and is mentored by Hoodie and Brady. All he needs to do is learn our terminology.

3- Many say that he looked like a steal from the draft (Jimmy) and he can make any throw and owner of one of the best over the shoulder fades in the corner of the end zone. A thing no QB has ever had here, pinpoint accuracy on short and mid throws and not bad deep either.

4- Clowney just had knee surgery on his other knee. We don't know what it was I have seen multiple minor injuries listed. Plus the right leg can flare at any given moment.

5- We lose zero picks but according to the scouting reports predraft we gain a legit QB. And a chance to dump Brock for a 6th or 7th...maybe better but don't think so.

This could be the single move to get from 9-7 to 11+ and a deep playoff run or SB.
            I just recollect the same basic statements about Mallett and they won't go away. And their not too different from Osweiler (coached up by a great QB guru and all time great QB.)

Clowney, even for 5 years instead of 10, seems too high a price to pay to me.

Comment

I just recollect the same basic statements about Mallett and they won't go away. And their not too different from Osweiler (coached up by a great QB guru and all time great QB.)

Watch Jimmy in college and then NFL. If I'm not mistaken 610 put up some videos of him showing the poise and confidence that nobody said about Mallett or any other NE QB other than Brady. Now 1 QB that I want to see allowed to go deep is Alex Smith. He is smart and has a decent arm, yet KC doesn't let him throw. Anyway, on Jimmy (OB even saw something seeing he wanted him) has tools and brains. Mallett had unreal talent but no brains

Comment

Clowney is hot right now.
                You said it yourself. Why trade for another backup with Clowney who's hot right now?

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalHeman View Post

You said it yourself. Why trade for another backup with Clowney who's hot right now?
                  Because its a smart move. A DE who has been hurt more than he has played for a QB who has legitimate gifts and a very high football IQ. Both are the same age and as long as JJ is good to go you lose no picks and fill our biggest need in 1 move. Clowney has had micro fracture surgery and that can flare up at any time. Then we are down a DE and still have no QB.

Had someone said Jimmy for Clowney before the season, it would have never happened or had a chance. Because he had done zero to show he is worth a high level trade. Now he has, but if you ask anyone who is better Clowney or JJ everyone is going JJ. Clowney is a perk, not a 100% need. Just like the D playing well with JJ out, the D will be better with JJ back. Even without Clowney. JJ teams have to gameplan for, Clowney they just move a TE and FB more his way. With JJ, neither is stopping him so he has to be double and triple teamed. Allows guys like Whit a clean path to the QB.

And Jimmy G isn't a typical backup, if he didn't play in NE with a guy named Brady. He could easily start and do well on a team that uses short to mid range passes and goes deep every now and then. Jimmy can throw deep, but he is best up to 30yrds then he is still good he just has to keep it from hanging when he goes deeper and watch the film he has fixed that aspect of his game for the most part. And his over the shoulder fades in the end zone are better than 90% of the QBs playing. He has great touch, accuracy and football IQ to go with a beautiful fast release and the ability to adjust and make every throw on the tree even under pressure. If he had played for a bigger school he would have been 1st round talent. Plus he knows how to play in the system we run and OB wanted him but NE pulled a shocker and picked him while Smith figured he would have a chance in the 3rd
                  Last edited by Matt_in_KW; 01-29-2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Because its a smart move. A DE who has been hurt more than he has played for a QB who has legitimate gifts and a very high football IQ. Both are the same age and as long as JJ is good to go you lose no picks and fill our biggest need in 1 move. Clowney has had micro fracture surgery and that can flare up at any time. Then we are down a DE and still have no QB.

Had someone said Jimmy for Clowney before the season, it would have never happened or had a chance. Because he had done zero to show he is worth a high level trade. Now he has, but if you ask anyone who is better Clowney or JJ everyone is going JJ. Clowney is a perk, not a 100% need. Just like the D playing well with JJ out, the D will be better with JJ back. Even without Clowney. JJ teams have to gameplan for, Clowney they just move a TE and FB more his way. With JJ, neither is stopping him so he has to be double and triple teamed. Allows guys like Whit a clean path to the QB.

And Jimmy G isn't a typical backup, if he didn't play in NE with a guy named Brady. He could easily start and do well on a team that uses short to mid range passes and goes deep every now and then. Jimmy can throw deep, but he is best up to 30yrds then he is still good he just has to keep it from hanging when he goes deeper and watch the film he has fixed that aspect of his game for the most part. And his over the shoulder fades in the end zone are better than 90% of the QBs playing. He has great touch, accuracy and football IQ to go with a beautiful fast release and the ability to adjust and make every throw on the tree even under pressure. If he had played for a bigger school he would have been 1st round talent. Plus he knows how to play in the system we run and OB wanted him but NE pulled a shocker and picked him while Smith figured he would have a chance in the 3rd
                    I can see where you're coming from man really, but they said the same things about Brock. Like the saying goes; fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalHeman View Post

I can see where you're coming from man really, but they said the same things about Brock. Like the saying goes; fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
                      Had we had a good GM we would have already had him. Nobody expected NE to take a QB that soon. But, in typical fashion they loved him and grabbed him and he has exceeded his draft profile and then some. I watched film on him from HS to now. He has something not 1 typical backup has. The ONLY reason NE is perhaps parting with him is Brady said 4-5 more years and he has not shown the signs of slowing down. Hoodie never will pay him what he can get as a FA and he will draft another backup to Brady early like he did with Jimmy to have a "just in case" QB ready. He will also probably sign a FA seeing Brady is older as insurance.

Its a 50-50 word he 100% be good here and will Clowney play well or stay healthy. If any 1 of the 3 is no...we lose. But if we trade Clowney and Jimmy fails, I think Savage is good enough to get us to the playoffs and then draft a true QB next season when many are coming out.

Comment

You know... Every time we say Clowney is injury prone and could go down at any moment... I don't think the pro scouts and NFL level GM's are stupid enough not to realize the same thing. Clowney may not be as highly valued as we are assuming he is.
                        sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

I like Jimmy but not for the reason of him sitting behind Brady and learning from Hoodie. I thought he was good coming out of college and has looked even better since. He's no Ryan Mallet. The kid has talent and doesn't throw fastballs only. Lol
                          sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

Originally posted by ArkhamKnight92 View Post

I like Jimmy but not for the reason of him sitting behind Brady and learning from Hoodie. I thought he was good coming out of college and has looked even better since. He's no Ryan Mallet. The kid has talent and doesn't throw fastballs only. Lol
                            Perhaps you see something I don't. It wouldn't be the first time.

Comment

I don't want anything else from NE.

Comment

Working...
                              X