Deal Clowney (from another member)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

Rumors are Gronk could be available for a 4th and a 6-7th because of injury history and NE has a competent TE they can play and draft a replacement for Gronk like Butt in the 4-5th seeing his stock dropped.
    Would you add him too?

I no question like the Jimmy and JT deals. But, not sure we have a WR to replace DHop, meaning FA or draft a good WR becomes a must.
    If the Texans gained 3 picks overall for Hopkins...my bet is they could easily replace him in this draft. Also, I wouldn't sale Fuller, Strong, Miller, Mumphrey and Williams short on making a big impact in 2017, especially if the OL were to get better and Welker has the same type of impact as Vrabel.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post
      Ok, lets play....Lets Make A Deal:

Door #1
      Browns Get: DE / Clowney / (Contract: 2017- 600K / 2018- 690K Cap Hit: 2017: 6.07M / 2018- 7.08M)

Texans Get: LT / Joe Thomas / 32 Yrs Old (Contrat: 2017- 8.0M / 2018- 8.0M Cap Hit: 2017- 11.5M / 2018- 10.0M) & 2017 RD5-001 Draft Pick

Why Does This Makes Sense?
      Browns could use a veteran DE to bookend with RD1 Pick: DE / Miles Garrett. This move solidifies their DL immediately. Clowney and Garrett could be pretty special for the Browns. On the flip side, Texans would get a veteran stud OT who is one of the best at his position. With the draft class being a little weaker than expected for stud OT's, this trade more than bolsters the Texans OL for the next 2 seasons. Texans could move Brown over to RT and just like that, the Texans starting OL will be pretty dang good. Could even toy with the idea of flipping Su'a-Filo to RG to continue playing along side Brown. Thomas is LT and maybe move Nick Martin to LG. Mancz was the 9th best Center last year and he actually did a great job for his first year starting...keep him there and let him get even better. With this trade, the Texans do not to put OT as the top priority in the draft nor do they have to figure out what it will cost to re-sign Clowney. With JJ returning, the defense should be the same feared unit.

Door #2
      Vikings Get: WR / Hopkins / 25 Years Old / Contract & Cap Hit: 2017- 7.9M

Texans Get: 2017 RD2-014 / RD4-022 / 2018 RD4

Why Does This Move Makes Sense?
      Vikings are in the market for a WR be it the draft or FA. Hopkins would be appealing since he's a better than average veteran and the Vikings couldn't draft a better WR from two slots mentioned. This hasn't been discussed since the Texans haven't officially tried to move him at this point. If the Texans made it known that they were willing to deal Hopkins for the right package...they would find a trade partner for his services. As for the Texans, they are WR deep at the moment and there receivers are only going to get better with a season under their belt, possibly a better OL to protect the new QB throwing the ball. The extra picks would come in handy filling needs this year and next.

Door #3
      Patriots Get: CB / K. Jackson / 2017 RD1-025

Texans Get: QB / Garoppolo / 2017 RD4-025

Why Does This Make Sense?
      Patriots get a CB they possibly covet along with a RD1 pick they would have demanded for JG. The Texans get a QB that Beli isn't going to re-sign and part of the compensation for this package would be one of their RD4 picks. Texans couldn't get a QB of Garoppolo's caliber at no point in this draft. A win-win for both camps.

I would take all 3 Doors and let the chips fall where they may:

2017 Gain
      Joe Thomas / LT

Jimmy Garoppolo / QB

RD2-014 (Vikings)
      RD2-025

RD3-025

RD4-022 (Vikings)
      RD4-024
      RD4-025 (Patriots)

RD5-025

RD6-004

RD7-025

2017 Lost
      DeAndre Hopkins / WR

Jedeveon Clowney / DE - OLB

Kareem Jackson / CB

RD1-025 (Patriots)

2018 Gain

RD4 (Vikings)

Are there enough picks to compensate for the losses? Should be. This season, the Texans could focus on both Bouye and Demps this off-season and still be fairly decent shape going into 2018, if signing JG becomes a top priority b/c of 2017..
      If these were the picks...how would I make the most out of them?

RD2-14-046: (Vikings) D'Ondre Foreman / Texas / RB / 6'-1" @ 249 lbs / Solid answer to work with Miller.

RD2-25-057: Chidobe Awuzie / Colorado / CB / 6'-0" @ 205 lbs / Has shut-down CB abilities. This move replaces KJax.

RD3-25-089: Jake Butt / Michigan / TE / 6'-5" @ 250 lbs / I projected him later but he might be higher. Worth the pick here. Answers TE need.

RD4-22-127: (Vikings) Chad Wheeler / Michigan / OT / 6'-6" @ 310 lbs / OT in training. Would become very good working behind Thomas and Brown.

RD4-24-129: Josh Harvey-Clemons / Louisville / SS / 6'-4" @ 225 lbs / Fills a need for big SS who can cover and big enough to fill hybrid ILB roll.

RD4-25-130: (Patriots) Tanoh Kpassagnon / Villanova / DE / 6'-7" @ 280 lbs / I like this answer to replace Clowney.

RD5-25-171: Kenny Golladay / Northern Illinois / WR / 6'-4" @ 215 lbs / Doesn't have to be the answer to Hopkins but could be a huge addition to WR group.

RD6-04-189: David Jones / Richmond / FS / 6'-3" @ 210 lbs / Injured, but has the tools to be a steal this late.

RD7-25-246: Josh Topou / Colorado / DT / 6'-3" @ 362 lbs / Big body DT who excels at clogging the middle. Could be interesting to see his changes if he developed more strength while dropping his weight to around 335 lbs.

Toss this group of rookies into the addition of Jimmy Garoppolo and Joe Thomas and I just don't think the loss of Hopkins, Clowney and Jackson would be as severe as most would think. Not to mention the cap savings of these moves wouldn't be fully recognized until 2018 when Osweiler's contract is gone as well.

Comment

RD2-14-046: (Vikings) D'Ondre Foreman / Texas / RB / 6'-1" @ 249 lbs / Solid answer to work with Miller.

RD2-25-057: Chidobe Awuzie / Colorado / CB / 6'-0" @ 205 lbs / Has shut-down CB abilities. This move replaces KJax.

RD3-25-089: Jake Butt / Michigan / TE / 6'-5" @ 250 lbs / I projected him later but he might be higher. Worth the pick here. Answers TE need.

RD4-22-127: (Vikings) Chad Wheeler / Michigan / OT / 6'-6" @ 310 lbs / OT in training. Would become very good working behind Thomas and Brown.

RD4-24-129: Josh Harvey-Clemons / Louisville / SS / 6'-4" @ 225 lbs / Fills a need for big SS who can cover and big enough to fill hybrid ILB roll.

RD4-25-130: (Patriots) Tanoh Kpassagnon / Villanova / DE / 6'-7" @ 280 lbs / I like this answer to replace Clowney.

RD5-25-171: Kenny Golladay / Northern Illinois / WR / 6'-4" @ 215 lbs / Doesn't have to be the answer to Hopkins but could be a huge addition to WR group.

RD6-04-189: David Jones / Richmond / FS / 6'-3" @ 210 lbs / Injured, but has the tools to be a steal this late.

RD7-25-246: Josh Topou / Colorado / DT / 6'-3" @ 362 lbs / Big body DT who excels at clogging the middle. Could be interesting to see his changes if he developed more strength while dropping his weight to around 335 lbs.

Toss this group of rookies into the addition of Jimmy Garoppolo and Joe Thomas and I just don't think the loss of Hopkins, Clowney and Jackson would be as severe as most would think. Not to mention the cap savings of these moves wouldn't be fully recognized until 2018 when Osweiler's contract is gone as well.
        I like that. But, NE will beg Smith for Hopkins.

JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Man, I didn't add:

RD5-01-147: (Browns) Vince Biegle / OLB / Wisconsin / 6'-3" @ 242 lbs / Solid OLB who knows this position. Another solid Wisconsin product who should benefit greatly with the next level coaching.

Comment

Man, I didn't add:

RD5-01-147: (Browns) Vince Biegle / OLB / Wisconsin / 6'-3" @ 242 lbs / Solid OLB who knows this position. Another solid Wisconsin product who should benefit greatly with the next level coaching.
            Also move Butt to round 4 maybe 5. He got hurt and he has been dropping due to that. It's an ACL, so he should be fine with rehab, but many teams will pass him for 2 reasons.
            1- The injury
            2- He is a true TE that has great hands but not speed. Most teams want to have a TE now who is a WR with 20-30 pounds more weight. Butt has it all but he won't rip a D apart with speed. He is a great 1st down guy, he boxes out DBs and LBs. And a great red zone target, who has the ability to appear as a blocker and suddenly he is wide open in the end zone. Pair him with another TE at say the 20 on in and he will pile up TDs or worse case...open things up for RB screens and passes to WRs.

If we can wait and get him in the 4th, may have to trade up with someone. He is a steal

Comment

What did we get for our other No 1.1 pick NOTHING. Revisit Mario to see what to do. I don't think we resign Clowney when his contract is up. Might as well get something. NE too smart to trade for the Clown.
              Has Rick ever drafted someone and gotten anything in return. Rick/McNair is the problem here. McNair because he won't get rid of Rick and Rick because he just doesn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by bs58 View Post
                What did we get for our other No 1.1 pick NOTHING. Revisit Mario to see what to do. I don't think we resign Clowney when his contract is up. Might as well get something. NE too smart to trade for the Clown.
                Has Rick ever drafted someone and gotten anything in return. Rick/McNair is the problem here. McNair because he won't get rid of Rick and Rick because he just doesn't know.
                I said that when Gary was here. Most said I was wrong. Then Smiths contract became public and it flat out said
                "control over all player personal"

So, I was right about it all along. McNair knows Smith is a "Yes man", so he uses him for his mouth. Seeing we all think it is Smith saying stuff, we get upset with him. When really it's McNairs (both of them) and then to a degree it's Smith. We don't know if OB wanted Brock but we know McNair did and we got him. Another great one, McNair falls in love with players and that's who we get. My favorite is what OB said last year to reporters the very last line:

"what Mr. McNair feels is right we try to stick to that."

Another member posted the full remark. What it says is clear: What Bob McNair wants, the HC is stuck with like it or not. OB worded it just right so it didn't sound like "I'm at his mercy" but it's still very close. McNair is Jerry Jones V2 but Jones talks McNair talks to Smith behind closed doors and Smith goes and does the bidding.

Comment

Hmmm....I'd go for Jimmy G and a 1st for Clowney. Then turn around and package one of the 1st round picks with Osweiller for the Browns 1st round pick. With the #1 pick, take A&M DE Miles Garret.

Comment

Originally posted by vtech9 View Post
                    Then turn around and package one of the 1st round picks with Osweiller for the Browns 1st round pick. With the #1 pick, take A&M DE Miles Garret.
                    Not even the Browns would take that deal for Osweiller.

Comment

Originally posted by SPOTexas View Post

Not even the Browns would take that deal for Osweiller.
                      Lol oh but they might, a vet QB to groom a rookie behind (not let Brock groom). They know they are 2-3yrs from any playoff chance let alone more

Comment

Lol oh but they might, a vet QB to groom a rookie behind (not let Brock groom). They know they are 2-3yrs from any playoff chance let alone more
                        Why would they take Brock's salary to do that? They have dozens of cheaper options.

Comment

Originally posted by SPOTexas View Post

Why would they take Brock's salary to do that? They have dozens of cheaper options.
                          Because they are not the smartest team around. And I'm positive that they would redo the deal. Most of it would probably be an incentive laden deal.

Comment

Because they are not the smartest team around. And I'm positive that they would redo the deal. Most of it would probably be an incentive laden deal.
                            They have different management now. They are not going to take Osweiller. We've spent too much time on the subject already lol

Comment

Originally posted by vtech9 View Post
                              Hmmm....I'd go for Jimmy G and a 1st for Clowney. Then turn around and package one of the 1st round picks with Osweiller for the Browns 1st round pick. With the #1 pick, take A&M DE Miles Garret.
                              If they would do it, it would be an even deal. Clowney has not produced enough for him to pull a 1st and Jimmy.

Hoodie knows what he can do with Clowney, be it 3rd down and passing situations or full time edge. Unlike Wade, he has the staff to turn him into a legit 3-4 OLB also. Meaning that he would be less worried about his injury history than others might be.

Comment

Man was I wrong. You get a free "I told you so" for this one. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X