Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Texans interested in trading for Patriots CB Malcolm Butler

Eric Edholm @Eric_Edholm
    Another team in Malcolm Butler mix: #Texans.

Source said they're interested in sending 2nd-rd pick to NE if can get Butler signed long term
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
    On #Saints & Malcolm Butler: They’ve begun negotiations on a new contract & hope to strike a deal this week. Then talk trade with #Patriots
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
      Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
      yea I'm going to chalk it up to to little to late on Butler unless he just doesn't like what New Orleans is offering him. I don't see him being a Texan next year.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post

yea I'm going to chalk it up to to little to late on Butler unless he just doesn't like what New Orleans is offering him. I don't see him being a Texan next year.
        Would not make sense to me to sell Bouye's contract and buy Butler's.

Think this is agent making a market for client trying to close a deal.

Comment

I hope this isn't true. This draft is deep with good CBs.

Comment

Would not make sense to me to sell Bouye's contract and buy Butler's.

Think this is agent making a market for client trying to close a deal.
            it doesn't make sense to me either, but nothing so far this offseason has made sense.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by djl3485 View Post
              I hope this isn't true. This draft is deep with good CBs.
              Very deep, and Butler turned down a deal that was around 3.9mil a year. Looking for something longterm and more money. I don't think he is coming even for a visit. The Texans are not going to pay him 5-6mil a year.

Then again...it is Smith
              JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

Very deep, and Butler turned down a deal that was around 3.9mil a year. Looking for something longterm and more money. I don't think he is coming even for a visit. The Texans are not going to pay him 5-6mil a year.

Then again...it is Smith
                5-6 mil. year? he wants top cb money he is looking for 13-14 mil a year like what Bouye, and his new teamate Gilmore got. He'll if he is only 5-6 a year I'd send a 2nd in a heartbeat for him lol
                sigpic

Comment

Eric Edholm @Eric_Edholm
                  Hoodie wont talk about trades unless a player has a contract. Last I heard yesterday Butler didn't sign the tender. Meaning it's just talk unless he signs it. That is a NE rule, no talks on any trades or deals unless they have a contract. Butler has none as of about 8pm yesterday.

Got to love rumors

Comment

Well I'm a day late and a dollar short...
                    sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

How would a Hopkins for Sherman go over? Seattle could be in the market for moving him after an apparent falling out with Carroll. The Seahawks have a need at WR and I'd be willing to bet that the Seahawks and Carroll would be good with Hopkins in return for Sherman.

Getting Sherman would allow the Texans to move KJax to FS and gives the team one of the best CB's in the NFL. Texans could focus on SS in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post
                        How would a Hopkins for Sherman go over? Seattle could be in the market for moving him after an apparent falling out with Carroll. The Seahawks have a need at WR and I'd be willing to bet that the Seahawks and Carroll would be good with Hopkins in return for Sherman.

Getting Sherman would allow the Texans to move KJax to FS and gives the team one of the best CB's in the NFL. Texans could focus on SS in the draft.
                        And who catches passes from whoever is starting QB if we sell DHop off?

We have 3 DBs ready: KJax-S/CB yet to know Johnson- CB and probably starting JJo- CB starter
                        So, we have either 3 CBs or 2 and a S set to start. At WR we have: Fuller- still drop prone Miller- still learning WR Mumphry- 3rd WR at best Strong- might be good if stays healthy some promise Williams- ST/emergency Tevin Jones- future contract pretty much unknown emergency

With DHop we have maybe 3 good WRs, Fuller & Strong round it out. Without DHop, we have nobody

Comment

Matt, I'm betting that these other receivers can actually have pretty decent second seasons. I've liked Strong and think he could be pretty special with a few more passes in his direction. My favorite sleeper is Wendell Williams, who in his very limited action last season looked pretty decent. I like his catch radius, sticky hands, and would anticipate at some point he'll get to display his speed once Savage or Weeden have enough pocket time to let him create those mismatches. Fuller and Miller should be in a position to do the same thing.

Why am I trumpeting for the Texans to move Hopkins while they can? He's been campaigning for a new contract since the end of the 2015 season. He didn't get what he wanted so he did a 1- Day Hold-Out to voice his displeasure. When Fuller came out hot last season, he seemed to be "not himself' or more like a receiver going through the paces. His routes were not as crisp, he wasn't blocking as well when needed and he dropped some passes that he would normally catch with no problem. All that added up to a fairly lackluster season by Hopkins standards...sure, most of us put his subpar season at the feet of Osweiler but as all of us should have seen in multiple games last season, Hopkins couldn't break double and triple team coverages in a lot of cases but it appeared that Hopkins was the target regardless...which lead to some interceptions and quite a few of 3-n-outs.

Now, if Hopkins doesn't get his new contract this season, what is the team going to get out of him? Sure, it's a contract year but who will he be performing for? The Texans? Or other teams he might have an interest in playing for?

Most of should be prepared for the fact that he could very well walk regardless of what the team offers simply because RS never gave him the new contract he thought he deserved sooner than his contract season. On the flip side, the Texans could franchise him but to what benefit? He'll be a top 5 paid receiver but a disgruntled one at that while putting up very decent numbers to sell himself later. Also, I'm betting the moment he's free and clear to sign with another team he'll be gone in a possession receiver flash! The Texans will have to figure out how to play without Hopkins and enjoy their RD3-033 Comp Pick in 2018 or 2019.

So, yeah I'd be willing to move him for the right package and Sherman wouldn't be bad compensation considering he'd immediately be the Texans top CB while keeping the cap tangible for 2018.
                          Last edited by Optimistic; 04-10-2017, 02:50 AM.

Comment

No thanks. If not named Brady or Bellichick ............... I DONT WANT THEM!!! LOL
                            THE Anti troll

Comment

Originally posted by MachineToss View Post
                              No thanks. If not named Brady or Bellichick ............... I DONT WANT THEM!!! LOL
                              Agree. Belichek tends to hold on to those he really values. Just ask Jimmy G.
                              1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Working...
                              X