HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > NFL/Football Discussion > NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Please post all mock draft oriented discussion here.

Old 04-14-2012
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
I don't buy that. Standford had a strong running game. He's not nearly as bad you think he is. He did well on his bench press so it can be worked on. His numbers/game film are impressive so he's not over-hyped being a late 1st pick. Most teams don't value the TE as much as we do so that's why he isn't rated high. He fits our system perfect. He's tall and strong. Crisp route running with great hands. A match up nightmare. What more could you ask for?
What makes you think we value TE's that high??? When did Smithiak draft a TE early??? Our system opens a lot up for the TE's. I'm not saying you can put just anyone in there and get production but you don't have to get a guy in the first or second round for him to put up good numbers in our system.
Old 04-14-2012
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sidious View Post
I will smash my television if the Texans pick a TE in the first round.
Who cares. Smash your TV, destroy your car, set fire to your house. Fleener will be a great pick up for the Texans in the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHolden View Post
Fleener is WAY overhyped. He is the top TE prospect in a terrible TE draft. He will be overdrafted based on need. Wherever he is taken, it will not be a good value selection.
Look who's talking about Fleener being way overhyped. A guy with Mario Williams as his avatar.

Quote:
Because he is a one dementional TE that can't block.
That is not true. Fleener is a very good blocker. He wouldn't even play for Harbaugh if he couldn't block.

Maybe the TE class is weak, but that has nothing to do with Fleener, only with those behind him.

After seeing Gronk and Graham lighting up the NFL last year, how can anyone say that Fleener is overhyped. Fleener has all the tools to be as good as those 2 star TEs, and no one can claim that Gronk or Graham would not be in the top10 if their drafts are redone. Getting Fleener at 26 would be a steal for the Texans.
Old 04-14-2012
Pro Bowler

Im wondering if you could line Fleener up as a WR. He's certainly athletic enough, to me he's a slightly heavier, more athletic version of Eddie McCaffery. The other thing I like about him is his experience in a pro style offense, and while he may not set the world on fire as an inline blocker I'd have to think with his size he'd be an above average run blocker from the WR position. Just a thought.
Old 04-14-2012
All Pro

Quote:
What makes you think we value TE's that high??? When did Smithiak draft a TE early??? Our system opens a lot up for the TE's. I'm not saying you can put just anyone in there and get production but you don't have to get a guy in the first or second round for him to put up good numbers in our system.
I meant we value the position more because we use it more than other teams. You're right about kubiak not drafting late, but there's a time for everything. You have to consider the position we are in now. Yes, WR probably deserves more attention, but the top WRs will be gone. We learned the hard way drafting a project (Okoye) and drafting soley on position and not BPA (Jackson). Stephen Hill is a project and a reach which brings back those bad memories. Fleener has aleady proven he dominated college and has the potential to be elite on the next level. He plays a position we love dearly and could very well be BPA regardless. We all know OD is on the decline and shouldn't be over paid.

I don't understand the "WE HAVE TO DRAFT A WR FIRST" mentality when we have an extremely talented receiving position player on the board possibly and the top WRs are gone.
Old 04-15-2012
Practice Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyTexan View Post
alright - an updated "ideal" mock based on the past few weeks of new info.....

1. TE Coby Fleener
2. OLB Shea McClellin (alternative is OLB Ronnell Lewis)
3. OG Brandon Brooks
4a. DT Derek Wolfe
4b. WR Greg Childs (alternative is WR Marvin Jones)
5. OT Nate Potter (alternative is OT Joe Long)
6. ILB JK Schaffer (alternative is to choose a CB here)
7. K Randy Bullock
UFA - FB Cody Johnson, FB Chad Diehl
Ladies, and gentlemen i think we have a winner. Greg Childs might not fall that far but if he does this draft would be perfection sir, perfection.

Last edited by edmart281; 04-15-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-15-2012
All Pro

Quote:
Fleener is WAY overhyped. He is the top TE prospect in a terrible TE draft. He will be overdrafted based on need. Wherever he is taken, it will not be a good value selection.
This is just not true at all. He has first round talent for sure. I see him as the 26th best player in this draft. Weirdly enough that just happens to be where we are drafting.

2012 HTMB Superbowl Champion
Old 04-16-2012
evil sith lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer000 View Post
Stephen Hill or a trade back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaky View Post
Who cares. Smash your TV, destroy your car, set fire to your house. Fleener will be a great pick up for the Texans in the first round.

Look who's talking about Fleener being way overhyped. A guy with Mario Williams as his avatar.

That is not true. Fleener is a very good blocker. He wouldn't even play for Harbaugh if he couldn't block.

Maybe the TE class is weak, but that has nothing to do with Fleener, only with those behind him.

After seeing Gronk and Graham lighting up the NFL last year, how can anyone say that Fleener is overhyped. Fleener has all the tools to be as good as those 2 star TEs, and no one can claim that Gronk or Graham would not be in the top10 if their drafts are redone. Getting Fleener at 26 would be a steal for the Texans.
Luckily those of you who want to draft a TE in the first round are not the GM of the Texans. They have needs elsewhere where the value of a first round pick would be better served.