HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > NFL/Football Discussion > NFL Draft

NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-15-2012
WHAMMMM!!!

Default Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest

I LOVED him at Wake Forest last season. 5'11' 198...he has the look of a Slot guy in the NFL, and I want him in the 3rd Round. He's the ONLY player I've had on my Texans mock since the draft process started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PfpeWpjznY

I haven't heard a peep about him since the season ended. Strange.
Old 04-15-2012
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLBCoach View Post
I LOVED him at Wake Forest last season. 5'11' 198...he has the look of a Slot guy in the NFL, and I want him in the 3rd Round. He's the ONLY player I've had on my Texans mock since the draft process started.

I like Givens alot. My only guess why he is not getting more attention is because he is a slot guy that does not offer much as a returner and has injury concerns.

I have him rated very high but am a little scared of the injury history. I feel he is the best route runner in the draft and has a good chance to be the top rookie receiver next season if healthy.

I would love to get him in the third but think he lands in the second.
Old 04-15-2012
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLBCoach View Post

The 3rd round grade is respectable but it only makes sense if Nick Toon, Marvin McNutt, Marvin Jones and Juron Criner are off the board.

The reason you haven't heard much talk about Wake Forest's Chris Givens is because he isn't a prototypical fit for Houston's zone blocking run oriented system. As many highlight reel plays that Givens made as a junior Demon Deacon, the inconsistency with his release and the inability he has to fight off "bump and run" defenders despite his chiseled physique is evident more often than not.

He's an exceptional vertical threat that runs the 4-9 routes with ease and he plays much bigger than his actual size. If he turns into a #2 receiver then he will tend to struggle with the more physical defensive backs but the fearless nature he possesses makes him intriguing. His body of work translates to him becoming a sub package player early on in his career who will most likely find himself at home in a slot receiver role. The New York Giants, Miami Dolphins, Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Buffalo Bills and Baltimore Ravens should all be in pursuit of his services early on Day 3.

If I had to choose between him and Marvin Jones then I'm taking the Cal Bear because he is more polished in every aspect of the game. Jones is the most unheralded receiver of the bunch while Chris Givens just doesn't translate well enough in order for him to garner any type of consideration with that 3rd round selection.

Last edited by dwrek18; 04-15-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2012
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrek18 View Post
The 3rd round grade is respectable but it only makes sense if Nick Toon, Marvin McNutt, Marvin Jones and Juron Criner are off the board.

The reason you haven't heard much talk about Wake Forest's Chris Givens is because he isn't a prototypical fit for Houston's zone blocking run oriented system. As many highlight reel plays that Givens made as a junior Demon Deacon, the inconsistency with his release and the inability he has to fight off "bump and run" defenders despite his chiseled physique is evident more often than not.

He's an exceptional vertical threat that runs the 4-9 routes with ease and he plays much bigger than his actual size. If he turns into a #2 receiver then he will tend to struggle with the more physical defensive backs but the fearless nature he possesses makes him intriguing. His body of work translates to him becoming a sub package player early on in his career who will most likely find himself at home in a slot receiver role. The New York Giants, Miami Dolphins, Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Buffalo Bills and Baltimore Ravens should all be in pursuit of his services early on Day 3.

If I had to choose between him and Marvin Jones then I'm taking the Cal Bear because he is more polished in every aspect of the game. Jones is the most unheralded receiver of the bunch while Chris Givens just doesn't translate well enough in order for him to garner any type of consideration with that 3rd round selection.
Got to disagree with you on this one Dwrek. Givens excells at getting off the line and can even do it against press where Jones struggles. Have no stats to back this up but Givens had to be the most open receiver in college football. He does it through precise routes with very sharp cuts. His hands are a little skeptical. He also runs hard every route and is a solid blocker.
Old 04-15-2012
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs27 View Post
Got to disagree with you on this one Dwrek. Givens excells at getting off the line and can even do it against press where Jones struggles. Have no stats to back this up but Givens had to be the most open receiver in college football. He does it through precise routes with very sharp cuts. His hands are a little skeptical. He also runs hard every route and is a solid blocker.
Well we can agree to disagree, my friend. When I see Givens I see a savvy route runner who has the fortunate circumstance to play with "x" amount of cushion. Those same sharp cuts and the precise route running come into effect after he's already 5 yards downfield, untouched at the line of scrimmage. A lot of the more elusive receivers in this draft played against that "x" amount of cushion because of the fact that they were dangerous in the open field. Givens is one of those kids along with Hilton, Jarius Wright, Brian Quick, Stephen Hill, Juron Criner and A.J. Jenkins.

There is no doubt that he has a good release in the vertical game when he gives the jab step inside to elude outside but against the physical defensive backs of the NFL he will struggle when they turn and run.

I have no problem with saying he will be a good player inside but I'm looking at him from the perspective of putting him outside at the "X" position where in my opinion he isn't as dynamic as he will be inside as a "motion and move" piece.
Old 04-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs27 View Post
Disagreed.
Old 04-15-2012
WHAMMMM!!!

dwrek - I am looking at Givens purely as a slot WR. I'd prefer Hill or Quick as that #2 guy, personally.

I realize that he struggles to get off the line in certain situations, but I like his 4.39 speed and playmaking ability.

Dwight Jones of UNC has also slipped on boards, presumably because of "slow" 40 times as of late. Again, put on the film and you see Dwight Jones has #2 WR ability right away.