HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > NFL/Football Discussion > NFL Draft

NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-15-2012
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger2013 View Post
Pancakes is almost never right.

Kevin Zeitler is not a 1st round guy. 2nd Round okay.

I think we wait on Oline and grab someone like Chandler Jones, Shea Mclellin, Whitney Merciless, Vinny Curry or possibly Rueben Randle/Stephen Hill in the first.

The value in the 1st round is pass rush. We have Bryan Braman and Tim Bulman? as OLB backups.

IF Jonathan Martin or Maybe Mike Adams falls, then I could see us taking him. But I think they both go in the top 20. Martin was a top 5-10 pick before all this combine stuff, and a potential top LT in the NFL. Adams has a LOT of potential as well.
Kevin Zeitler is not a 1st round guy but Jones, Mclellin, Curry, and Randle are?
Hmm..

Not sure how OLB keeps coming up as a 1st rd possibility. Maybe Reed and Barwin need to have better celebrations planned out after their good plays to get more fan support

Maybe backup linebackers are a first round need? Name a backup linebacker from another team you would trade a first round pick for.
Old 04-15-2012
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs27 View Post
Kevin Zeitler is not a 1st round guy but Jones, Mclellin, Curry, and Randle are?
Hmm..

Not sure how OLB keeps coming up as a 1st rd possibility. Maybe Reed and Barwin need to have better celebrations planned out after their good plays to get more fan support

Maybe backup linebackers are a first round need? Name a backup linebacker from another team you would trade a first round pick for.
Impeccable logic.

2012 HTMB Superbowl Champion
Old 04-16-2012
Veteran

Name a backup linebacker from another team you would trade a first round pick for.

Ok. Osi Umeniyora.

The Giants have the right idea. They had a few other needs when they drafted Pierre Paul and it has payed dividends. I think we are in the position to draft the "Best Player Available - BPA" and that we should.

Also, not everyone is sold on Brooks Reed. I think he has a great speed rush, but not much else, and the league could figure him out leading to a sophmore slump. I'd love to have a stable of BADASS passrushers constantly keeping Offensive coordinators on their toes. Not to mention relieving Barwin and Reed.

If we have the opportunity to grab Merciless, Jones, Mclellin (who will probably go 2 picks later to GB) then we should. Im also an advocate of Hill and Randle there we do need a #2 WR to stretch the field.. As well as A few of the DT's . All Im saying is BPA philosophy at a premium position. Zeitler's good, but Brown or Kelemente in the 3rd- 4th rounds are good too.

Also, Kubiak and co. develop late round/undrafted guys into system OL's. All the time. Thats what they do. Lance Z (who I trust MUCH more than Pancakes) has said that they may be higher on our 7th round pick last year (cant remember name) than we are on RT whos replacing Winson (suddenly I cant remember names, and am too lazy to look up.).

Last edited by Harbinger2013; 04-16-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2012
All Pro

Quote:
Name a backup linebacker from another team you would trade a first round pick for.

Ok. Osi Umeniyora.

The Giants have the right idea. They had a few other needs when they drafted Pierre Paul and it has payed dividends. I think we are in the position to draft the "Best Player Available - BPA" and that we should.

Also, not everyone is sold on Brooks Reed. I think he has a great speed rush, but not much else, and the league could figure him out leading to a sophmore slump. I'd love to have a stable of BADASS passrushers constantly keeping Offensive coordinators on their toes. Not to mention relieving Barwin and Reed.

If we have the opportunity to grab Merciless, Jones, Mclellin (who will probably go 2 picks later to GB) then we should. Im also an advocate of Hill and Randle there we do need a #2 WR to stretch the field.. As well as A few of the DT's . All Im saying is BPA philosophy at a premium position. Zeitler's good, but Brown or Kelemente in the 3rd- 4th rounds are good too.

Also, Kubiak and co. develop late round/undrafted guys into system OL's. All the time. Thats what they do. Lance Z (who I trust MUCH more than Pancakes) has said that they may be higher on our 7th round pick last year (cant remember name) than we are on RT whos replacing Winson (suddenly I cant remember names, and am too lazy to look up.).
You would give up a first round pick for a 30 year old 4-3 DE to backup Barwin and Reed? I'm not going to lie the guy has great numbers but he also gets his snaps. I know Williams looked like he made a seamless transition to a 3-4 OLB but there are some differences in speed. Bottom line the guy is way too old to be worth a first round pick.

I get what your saying and sure it's possible for Reed to get picked up more by blocking patterns but I trust his tenacity, and having Cushing, Barwin, Smith and Watt in that front 7 I doubt teams are going to have the personnel to keep Reed from getting his numbers.

2012 HTMB Superbowl Champion
Old 04-16-2012
All Pro

Quote:

Ok. Osi Umeniyora.

Giants would love you. If a team would give the Giants a 3rd for Osi he would be gone.
Old 04-19-2012
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs27 View Post
Giants would love you. If a team would give the Giants a 3rd for Osi he would be gone.
If he came for a 3rd, and would take a low pay deal for say 2yrs...I'd take him. Otherwise, no thanks.