HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > Texans Discussion > Texans Tailgate

Texans Tailgate Discuss anything related to the Texans that is not expressly about the game itself. Community news, player appearances or anything related to NRG Stadium.

Old 04-05-2012
Practice Squad

Default Help a guy out.

If I'm posting in the wrong place please let me know. I'm new to this. Myself and a couple of guys are planning a trip to Houston this fall for a game. I would just like to know a few details of the best way to have fun in Houston before and after a game. What type of tickets I should be looking at buying or where to stay in Houston that is close or just nice for a weekend of fun. What type of activities/parties there are around game time that one should or should not partake in. I've been to Houston before just not for a game. Any direction that is sent my way would be great.
Old 04-05-2012
Pro Bowler

You posted this in the right place. There are a lot of hotels around Reliant Park. One way to stay in a nice hotel and get to the game with ease is to stay downtown in a nice hotel, or even in the museum district near the zoo, and take the train to the game. It was free last year and is twenty minutes or so from downtown. If you want a nice (pricey) hotel downtown, I recommend the Hilton (pool on the roof, out of sight workout facilites, nice rooms), cheaper on the weekend, but still nice is the Doubletree. The museum district is a few minutes by train from Reliant. I recommend, if you want really nice, the ZaZa, formerly the Warwick

There are extensive tailgate parties in the parking lots, all day affairs.

As a caveat on my recommendations, I'm an old goat. If you're looking to party all weekend, some of the other guys on here will make recommendations.
Old 04-05-2012
Rookie

Houston is a great city and has a whole lot to do. From the various museums to the theater you really cant go wrong. I would suggest you stop in at the Houston Texans grille while your here. It's a great atmosphere and there is nothing like hanging out with other fans while enjoying a great meal. http://texansgrille.g3restaurants.com/
Also check out the Piano bars. http://www.petesduelingpianobar.com/

Last edited by 1st and Inches; 04-05-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2012
Practice Squad

Default Thanks.

Thanks for the tips on hotels and restaurants. We'll have to give them a try. Any help you could send our way in regards to tickets(ie. - ideal seating). I don't mind the prices I just don't know if we should buy club seats or what? I want the best atmosphere and party time before and during and after the game.
Old 04-10-2012
Hall of Famer

To me the club seating is great but the crowd is too laid back (snobby).

There's really not a bad seat in the house.It just depends how close you wanna get.

The BullPen if you wanna stand and yell most of the game.
Old 04-15-2012
Practice Squad

Default Tailgate??

I'll be flying in from Canada. Are the tailgate parties open to everyone? I've never done it before. Do I need to "do" or "bring" anything? I have seen pictures of cars, trucks and R.V's parked in the parking lots but not knowing what exactly is going on. Might sound stupid but I want to make sure the trip is a great party and no one is offended. All help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 04-16-2012
Rookie

As for the seating, there is no bad seat in the house that I have found. Even the nose bleeds have a great view of the field and enough fans around to help drive your excitement.
Old 05-04-2012
Practice Squad

Ok bought tickets for the Green Bay game(BULL PEN). Now comes the great part of planning my trip. On Sunday what time should we arrive at the stadium to take in all the tailgateing? I know the game doesn't start till 7:30 but what time should we look at getting there? 1 or 2? I used to be a truck driver and Houston was always my favorite city to go. I don't know why but it just felt like home every time I went. You guys rock down there. Looking forward to a weekend of fun and partying.
Old 05-04-2012
Kool Aid Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantfan View Post
Ok bought tickets for the Green Bay game. Now comes the great part of planning my trip. On Sunday what time should we arrive at the stadium to take in all the tailgateing? I know the game doesn't start till 7:30 but what time should we look at getting there? 1 or 2? I used to be a truck driver and Houston was always my favorite city to go. I don't know why but it just felt like home every time I went. You guys rock down there. Looking forward to a weekend of fun and partying.
The parking lots will not be open until 3-330
Old 05-04-2012
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantfan View Post
Ok bought tickets for the Green Bay game(BULL PEN). Now comes the great part of planning my trip. On Sunday what time should we arrive at the stadium to take in all the tailgateing? I know the game doesn't start till 7:30 but what time should we look at getting there? 1 or 2? I used to be a truck driver and Houston was always my favorite city to go. I don't know why but it just felt like home every time I went. You guys rock down there. Looking forward to a weekend of fun and partying.
Tailgate is open 4 hours prior to kickoff and for an hour after. I recommend you get there right at 3:30. Head to the stadium and catch your seats 30 minutes before kick off (6:50 CT).

Tailgating folks are real cool. Some will let you hang out with them. I hardly ever get to but when I do...I invite anyone to hang out with us, especially guys from out of town...even if they're fans from other teams. I've had Colts fans piggy-back off our tailgate...didn't want them having a bad tailgate experience at our house and they LOVED it.