HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > NFL/Football Discussion > NFL Draft

NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-12-2012
All Pro

Default Trade next years 1st round pick... good or bad?

As some of you may know, the 2nd round prospects in this years draft are really enticing to me. I feel there are so much value and talent that will fall in the 2nd round and I ponder ways to get more 2nd round picks knowing that we only have 1 late 2nd round pick.

My question is, do you guys think it would be a good idea to trade next years 1st round pick (protected) to another team for this years 2nd round and possibly a 3rd round pick (whatever is deemed equal value)?

On one hand, we are already contenders and the talent we could potentially add to our roster can put as over the top. The 1st round pick we traded would be the 32nd overall pick . On the other hand, if things don't work out, its like we put a lot of eggs in this years draft and we won't have a 1st round pick next year (which in reality I along with everybody else would be enticed by the prospects of that years draft as with any draft).

So what do guys think, is this years draft worth losing a 1st in next years draft? Or should we just stay as we are... we are still a playoff team and contenders, and a recipe for success is having the ability to consistently be a post season team.
Old 04-12-2012
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal El View Post
As some of you may know, the 2nd round prospects in this years draft are really enticing to me. I feel there are so much value and talent that will fall in the 2nd round and I ponder ways to get more 2nd round picks knowing that we only have 1 late 2nd round pick.

My question is, do you guys think it would be a good idea to trade next years 1st round pick (protected) to another team for this years 2nd round and possibly a 3rd round pick (whatever is deemed equal value)?

On one hand, we are already contenders and the talent we could potentially add to our roster can put as over the top. The 1st round pick we traded would be the 32nd overall pick . On the other hand, if things don't work out, its like we put a lot of eggs in this years draft and we won't have a 1st round pick next year (which in reality I along with everybody else would be enticed by the prospects of that years draft as with any draft).

So what do guys think, is this years draft worth losing a 1st in next years draft? Or should we just stay as we are... we are still a playoff team and contenders, and a recipe for success is having the ability to consistently be a post season team.
The 2012 Draft contains a boat load of talent available from rounds 1 through 7 at certain positions. WR, RB, OG, CB are the top four positions as far as depth is concerned and notably two of those positions (WR,OG) are needs as far as the Texans are concerned. Trading a 2013 1st round selection to gain a 2nd and a 3rd is something that should be considered ill-advised at this point. Now if you're the Atlanta Falcons or New Orleans Saints then trading a 2013 selection is viable because of the "impact" pick they lack in 2012. Houston has needs, Kal El but these 2nd round players you covet can't contain the type of spark that you're going to get from a 2013 1st round pick.

The 2013 draft as a whole contains a plethora of prospects who have game changing ability but at the same time you have multiple 1st round prospects who have the potential to stick in the NFL for 10+ years. The way it looks right now OLB, CB, OT lead the way as far as class goes in 2013.

Now if you want to trade the 26th selection this year in order to trade back then by all means you're much better off going that route. I'm very curious as to which 2nd round players you're interested in but if we are looking ahead, the 2013 1st round pick needs to stay in our back pocket.
Old 04-12-2012
sect. 129

If you want multiple 2nd - 3rd round picks why not trade #26 to Miami for #42 and #72 each equal 700 points on trade value chart. Miami has two 3rd RD. picks and may want to move back into 1st RD. That would give Texans two 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. (#42,58,72,76,99,121) In no special order: ILB, OLB, WR, T,G,TE
Old 04-12-2012
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrek18 View Post
The 2012 Draft contains a boat load of talent available from rounds 1 through 7 at certain positions. WR, RB, OG, CB are the top four positions as far as depth is concerned and notably two of those positions (WR,OG) are needs as far as the Texans are concerned. Trading a 2013 1st round selection to gain a 2nd and a 3rd is something that should be considered ill-advised at this point. Now if you're the Atlanta Falcons or New Orleans Saints then trading a 2013 selection is viable because of the "impact" pick they lack in 2012. Houston has needs, Kal El but these 2nd round players you covet can't contain the type of spark that you're going to get from a 2013 1st round pick.

The 2013 draft as a whole contains a plethora of prospects who have game changing ability but at the same time you have multiple 1st round prospects who have the potential to stick in the NFL for 10+ years. The way it looks right now OLB, CB, OT lead the way as far as class goes in 2013.

Now if you want to trade the 26th selection this year in order to trade back then by all means you're much better off going that route. I'm very curious as to which 2nd round players you're interested in but if we are looking ahead, the 2013 1st round pick needs to stay in our back pocket.
Well trading back with our 26th was a different scenario i used in a different thread. This is just another option. But i see your point, the 2013 1st round pick is more valuable.

As far as my interest in the 2nd round, i just feel as though there are solid talents falling into the 2nd and also talent rising into the 1st therefore, previous 1st round talents will fall in the 2nd.

As far as my personal interest, really im interested with Fleener in the 1st. My scenario is basically to give the Texans more value picks and they choose who they deem worthy. With multiple picks in the 2nd, they can go with many different scenarios.

If they go receiver, Hill might fall there, Sanu, etc... they can add OLB rotation with McClellin or Curry. I feel as though RG and RT is set with Caldwell and Butler but if they don't there are certainly options in the 2nd round. Mike Adams might fall in the 2nd at T, there has been mocks with Zeitler falling in the 2nd at G. NT, you never know who can fall in the 2nd, a project like Poe can realistically fall there, if he goes high then one of the other top 5 DT will surely fall in the 2nd. There's no question there are value from 1-7 but i just feel as though there are immediate impact guys in the 2nd round.
Old 04-13-2012
All Pro

I don't like trading future 1st unless the trade is lopsided in our favor. Duane Brown is a FA next offseason. What if we need that 1st to replace him?
Old 04-13-2012
All Pro

well i would hope after this off season they learn and prepare for next off season. I would be disgusted if we couldn't re-sign our LT.

But yeah you make a great point
Old 04-13-2012
Hall of Famer

I can't think of one scenario where a team traded next years 1st for this years 2nd and had it work out. I know Denver did it for a CB a few years ago and that cb doesn't even play. I think Carolina did it for Everette Brown as well (I think so at least) and that didn't work either. No thanks.