HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > Texans Discussion > Texans Tailgate

Texans Tailgate Discuss anything related to the Texans that is not expressly about the game itself. Community news, player appearances or anything related to NRG Stadium.

Old 04-22-2009
parkingfeedback@houstontexans.com

Default Traffic and Parking Q&A

Hello fellow Houston Texans fans! My name is Ted Dickerson and I am the Manager of Parking and Traffic Services for the Houston Texans.

I have created this thread to reach out to all Houston Texans fans by engaging in productive dialogue about traffic and parking at Reliant stadium. This thread will also serve as a constant open communication channel to help us identify any questions you might have, and resolve any other issues requiring further action by the Houston Texans.

If you would like to address a specific incident in a private manner please email me directly at parkingfeedback@houstontexans.com, otherwise feel free to post your questions and comments as they are likely to benefit everyone.
Old 04-22-2009
" A New Era Begins"

Welcome to the site and I think this is a good idea.
Old 04-22-2009
admin

Having a police officer direct the traffic light that leads into the primary cash lot off loop 610S (Fannin South Metrorail) is something someone should look at this season. Last year people were breaking the law left and right to circumvent the gridlock at peak times. I'd see Police inside the gates at times but I wouldn't see an officer at the light keeping everything orderly as nobody ever cleared out of the intersection. On the plus side, you guys have made great strides ironing out the bumps in the last few years with the cash lots and metro lift....many kudos for that and thanks for reaching out to the fans.

Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without
Old 04-22-2009
Kool Aid Addict

Lets talk about the Yellow lot, in the changes last year during the first hour you are suppossed to be able to park where you want, after that you must follow the people directioning you. It always seems that there are only two lines open at 8am when there are baracades set up for 4 or more, typically there are 4-6 employees standing there. They often are talking amongst themselves, wouldn't it make sense to open all 4 lanes up for that first 30 minutes for the early big push to get in the lot, and you appear to be adequately staffed at those times. We purposesfully don't come in until 815 because the back-up at 8am in just too much, but typically by 830-45 there is just a trickle coming in. Most people do want to park in the grass but there are two lots most people don't care which grass lot they go to, but the directioners are flagging people into the first lot and nobody is in the second, if you were to open that north line and allow them to turn left and go to the second grass lot you would eliminate a ton of early traffic. The problem isn't the people taking the tickets it is the people trying to park and getting backed up that creates the problem. I write back in a while about exit issues
Old 04-22-2009

Vinny thank you for your comments, I was unaware there was even a problem with that metro rail site. I will look into their organizational procedures for our home games and try to identify a solution that will benefit everyone.

Dbruder44 - You have brought up two good points as well. The first being opening more lanes for the initial push. I can tell you that several years ago we did have 4-6 lanes open at 8am and the problem we ran into was to many cars were racing to the same spots and this lead to numerous arguments about who got there first. So by allowing only two lanes at a time to flow in it allows cars to arrive and park in a more orderly fashion without the disputes. This does take about 10-15 minutes longer to get that first big push through but overall it is a more organized and less chaotic strategy.

Your second point brings up the people directing you to the first grass lot. They are instructed to provide a little direction to keep people from jumping the lines and speeding past others, they should allow you to proceed to the second lot if you just let them know that is you intent, and as long as it is within that first hour after gates open. I must disagree with you on the thought that people don't care which grass lot to park in. We think over 90% of our 8am arrivals want to tailgate and park as close to the stadium as possible but as stated we would allow them to park anywhere within the first hour.
Old 04-22-2009
Kool Aid Addict

Thanks for the response, I agree it might make sense but if you did have a third lane for the second grass lot people would probably opt for that and save 10 minutes, that last 5 minutes waiting when you are just wanting to get out and get your tailgate on came be very anxious moments. The attendent do generally have cones that block that left hand turn, I normally have to get out of the car as the passenger and walk a head of my wife driving and move those cones to procede to the left, I have been yelled at by some, some were like Ok go ahead.
Old 04-22-2009
Hall of Famer

Traffic control is the most frustrating thing you all can come up with.

Several times when trying to leave i have been redirected back to main street from going south to 610 on kirby. This does not allieviate traffic. What it does is keep cars on the road for an extra 20 minutes.

Let us go south on Kirby when leaving a game and we can get out of there. Redirecting us in the wrong direction where we just have to turn around anyway is ridiculous and makes traffic worse not better.

Another comment i have is frequently your traffic people in the lots will "save" spots and claim they are saving them for handicapped which is not true. The handicapped is in a different spot. What they do is save them and then charge unsuspecting late arrivals with nice cars a few dollars to park up front. This has happened to me on several occasions in the red lot.

The orange lot is bad about trying to funnel everyone out the blue lot side because all the traffic guards are instructed to let the blue lot sout first so the orange lot never did empty. That was why i switched to red.

I enjoy the red lot except for that one problem. When i pay 50 dollars to park int he red lot that means i can park ANYWHERE in the red lot. These people i refer to use the orange traffic cones to block off their saved spots. Please see this doesn't happen this year. Explain to them where the actual handicapped places are.

Thank you.

Oh, one other thing. Often when i get there about an hour or two early the traffic people will direct me to turn after going down a few rows. When there are empty rows 20 rows down. If you are going to redirect us then do it on the closest row with spots still available. I am just going to drive down and turn to get to the front anyway. It just seems like the people in the lots are just not trained very well at all!!!

I would like to compliment you on the bilateral agreement you have with the jump start service. I have used it once and a friend has used it once and the jump start was quick and friendly and no hassle. That part of your system works flawlessly in my experience.

As far as serious traffic control...the exit lane to kirby (on610south going west)is long and people jump in line and i have seen several close calls and road rage when people try to cut in. It's a long wait to get in that exit lane and it could use police prescense to stop line jumpers.

==================================
From worst to first. --- Wouldn't that be nice?

Last edited by Yosarian; 04-22-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2009

Yosarian - You have brought up some very valid points and these are some of the same questions and comments I get calls and emails about frequently. I will try to address them in the order you presented them.

Being redirected north on Kirby while exiting the Red lot is a product of several different things occurring at once. First the Kirby road closure allows less traffic to go south after a game which means if they let everyone go south after the game then it would back up to the entrance gate of the Red lot. So instead of having everyone wait inside the Red lot while they are backed up all the way down Kirby we send cars north and allow them to access alternate routes home such as Braeswood to 610 or OST to 288 or Kirby north to 59. We have determined through fan feedback that most folks would rather be driving in some direction and make adjustments to their route and find their way home as opposed to sitting inside parking lots waiting for lines to clear. So your direction leaving that lot is based mostly on how backed up Kirby is at the point in which you reach the exit gate.

In regards to the saving spots question I will pursue this further. You are correct we do have a designated handicap section in the Red lot so I'm unsure why there would be any coned off spaces. I will investigate this further.

The parking staff is being directed from on top of the Astrodome and on top of Reliant stadium as to the best methods to fill spaces. Essentially they fill the largest and easily accessible areas first. The open spaces you find near the front could be empty for several different reasons, first a tailgate party has packed up their things and gone inside freeing up a space, or people did not park in the correct order when they arrived earlier. Ultimately it is best to always follow the directions of the parking staff. They are in direct radio contact with parking management that can see everything from the roof tops.

Thanks for the compliment I know sometimes its easy to find everything wrong with things. So again thanks for that. FYI if anyone ever needs this service on gameday please call 832-667-1400.

Last your comments regarding road rage and line jumping is something we are aware of and we are working on our traffic plan for 2009 to really evaluate the best use or our resources pre-game and post-game to prevent these types of things. While I'm sure there is no way to completly eliminate these types of things we feel a strong presence during the ingress/egress will help curtail a good portion of it.

Thanks again for your comments these are exactly the kinds of questions I think is on everyone's minds. I hope this provides a little insight to these specific ones.
Old 04-23-2009
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parking Guru View Post
Yosarian - You have brought up some very valid points and these are some of the same questions and comments I get calls and emails about frequently. I will try to address them in the order you presented them.

Being redirected north on Kirby while exiting the Red lot is a product of several different things occurring at once. First the Kirby road closure allows less traffic to go south after a game which means if they let everyone go south after the game then it would back up to the entrance gate of the Red lot. So instead of having everyone wait inside the Red lot while they are backed up all the way down Kirby we send cars north and allow them to access alternate routes home such as Braeswood to 610 or OST to 288 or Kirby north to 59. We have determined through fan feedback that most folks would rather be driving in some direction and make adjustments to their route and find their way home as opposed to sitting inside parking lots waiting for lines to clear. So your direction leaving that lot is based mostly on how backed up Kirby is at the point in which you reach the exit gate.

In regards to the saving spots question I will pursue this further. You are correct we do have a designated handicap section in the Red lot so I'm unsure why there would be any coned off spaces. I will investigate this further.

The parking staff is being directed from on top of the Astrodome and on top of Reliant stadium as to the best methods to fill spaces. Essentially they fill the largest and easily accessible areas first. The open spaces you find near the front could be empty for several different reasons, first a tailgate party has packed up their things and gone inside freeing up a space, or people did not park in the correct order when they arrived earlier. Ultimately it is best to always follow the directions of the parking staff. They are in direct radio contact with parking management that can see everything from the roof tops.

Thanks for the compliment I know sometimes its easy to find everything wrong with things. So again thanks for that. FYI if anyone ever needs this service on gameday please call 832-667-1400.

Last your comments regarding road rage and line jumping is something we are aware of and we are working on our traffic plan for 2009 to really evaluate the best use or our resources pre-game and post-game to prevent these types of things. While I'm sure there is no way to completly eliminate these types of things we feel a strong presence during the ingress/egress will help curtail a good portion of it.

Thanks again for your comments these are exactly the kinds of questions I think is on everyone's minds. I hope this provides a little insight to these specific ones.
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback! About the closing Kirby i have found i rather than wait just hang out and throw the football around in the lot until it gets open. I've been redirected and every time it takes longer to get to 610 then if i am stuck in kirby traffic. So i guess i am one person who would raher sit and wait in the direcion i want to go thanto sit and wait in a direction i do not want to go.

==================================
From worst to first. --- Wouldn't that be nice?
Old 04-24-2009

Since i have no immediate comments requiring a response I will begin posting some questions I frequently receive and my reply to them. I will try to post only a few per week to allow time to digest them and discuss them. The following question is a direct quote from another season ticket holder I received via email.

Question - "I am glad to read that you are going to look at the parking situation. It has been the greatest irritant for me since the beginning of the Texans. My biggest complaint is that the parking personnel try to "overcontrol" where people can park before the game. I usually get there before the crowd. I think up until one hour before game time I should be able to park where I want too."

Reply - I understand your frustration with the parking process being highly controlled. I believe as you do that the majority of fans would probably be just fine entering a parking lot and parking in an orderly fashion, but the problem is it only takes a few who do not make good decisions to really put the ingress/egress process to a halt. We are currently evaluating our traffic and parking plan for 2009 from top to bottom and our resource allocation is a big part of that plan, so we ask that you continue to follow our lead as we work out the ideal process for everyone and encourage you to provide feedback when needed regarding specific areas you see we can improve on.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or comments regarding this matter?