HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > Texans Discussion > The Bull Pen

The Bull Pen Discuss Texans football here! HOUSTON TEXANS only discussions. Discussions involving other players and teams go in NFL section. We strive to keep this forum strictly about our Texans.

Old 12-16-2009
Veteran Fan

Default OC coach for next year

I think Kubiak will have saved his job for next year with a win this Sunday. It has been well pressed that Mike Shanahan has stated that wherever he is coaching next year, he would want his son Kyle to be his OC coach. If Lil Shan leaves, who would be the out there to replace him. I can't see any coach from the current staff that would be a good OC next year and Alex Gibbs will most likely retire.
Old 12-16-2009
Negatively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Fan 79 View Post
I think Kubiak will have saved his job for next year with a win this Sunday. It has been well pressed that Mike Shanahan has stated that wherever he is coaching next year, he would want his son Kyle to be his OC coach. If Lil Shan leaves, who would be the out there to replace him. I can't see any coach from the current staff that would be a good OC next year and Alex Gibbs will most likely retire.

Would be neat if Kubiak would volunteer to become OC and actually help to pursue Cowher. Would you guys still think bad of him if he did that?
Old 12-16-2009
Veteran

I feel like the majority of our problems have been from the playcalling on offense, so I wouldn't be thrilled if he stayed
Old 12-16-2009
Account Suspended

Where are you guys getting this nonsense that Mike said that where ever he goes he wants Kyle to go with him? I have not seen it anywhere nor do I think it is true. If Mike wanted Kyle with him he'd have hired him years ago. Kyle has started something here with Kubes and Schaub. As long as those two are still here I see him staying.

Now if Kubes gets fired that could be a different story because then Kyle would be on the market. However I'd bet Kyle would stay away from working with his dad. If he thought Gary was a control freak he has another thing coming with Mike.
Old 12-16-2009
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan73 View Post
I feel like the majority of our problems have been from the playcalling on offense, so I wouldn't be thrilled if he stayed
Can't say I agree when our offense has been producing very well. I think if we had a better interior OL and a more traditional between the tackles RB you would see an even higher production from our offense. I think the issues lie more in player execution, personnel management (coaches hired, players used, lack of QB audibles, etc...) and game management (clock management).
Old 12-16-2009
Pro Bowler

if i were kubiak and kyle went off to coach with his father i would just assume the role at this point. there really isn't another offensive assistant that i can see him being comfortable with calling plays, and would want the job.
Old 12-16-2009
TexanSaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Texan II View Post
Where are you guys getting this nonsense that Mike said that where ever he goes he wants Kyle to go with him? I have not seen it anywhere nor do I think it is true. If Mike wanted Kyle with him he'd have hired him years ago. Kyle has started something here with Kubes and Schaub. As long as those two are still here I see him staying.
Someone posted a few months back that w emight lose Lil Shanny to his dad's team and somehow it turned into a fact that he wants to steal his son from his son out from under old pupil.

Wouldn't he have to promote his son to assistant HC since he is still under contract and his son cannot leave unless it is to be promoted? Seems like a huge stretch for a dad to bring his son in and give him a pay increase/new title on a team that he just joined. It will look like daddy is just trying to pay his son the big bucks and keep it in the family.
Old 12-16-2009
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCATALYST View Post
Would be neat if Kubiak would volunteer to become OC and actually help to pursue Cowher. Would you guys still think bad of him if he did that?
I would think my knees would be wobbly, because I would be in the wrong dimension.

Actually se7en, I believe Lil' Kyle's contract is up after this season.
Old 12-16-2009
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtexanbull View Post
I would think my knees would be wobbly, because I would be in the wrong dimension.

Actually se7en, I believe Lil' Kyle's contract is up after this season.
I think Kubiak is a great OC.....never had a problem with that, never.
Old 12-16-2009
Account Suspended

another reason I don't think Kyle is going any where is because it is no secret that Mike is going to coach next year. If Mike really wanted Kyle on his staff he would have told Kubiak already to give Kubiak time to prepare. I guess until we see Kyle removed from game planning or his role scaled back and someone else brought in to build.