HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > NFL/Football Discussion > NFL Draft

NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-03-2007
All Pro

Default Running Back

This class is pretty weak at the RB position, and 2009 will be loaded. We can pick one in the middle rounds this year, and take one next year in the 1st round.

Cory Boyd
Benjarvus Green Ellis

Both are somewhat similar to Ahman Green. Similar size 6' 220lbs give or take and similar speed in the 4.5-4.55 area. Boyd has some serious receiving skills and can catch it out of the backfield with the best of them. He really does remind me of Ahman. Benjarvus is a little tougher runner and isnt a big play threat, but he'd be a solid pickup in the 5-6th rounds.
Old 10-03-2007
pure boxer muscle

-Darren McFadden
-Jonathon Stewart
-Allen Patrick
-Felix Jones
-Ray Rice
-Ryan Torain
-Mike Hart
-Steve Slaton

yeah that's a pretty weak RB draft pool there..........
Old 10-03-2007
All Pro

there arent a whole lotta fast backs...and half the guys the guy up there mentioned are juniors. patrick, hart, torain...not 1st rounders. mcfadden and stewart are the only 1st round locks...thats how weak this class is. and plus, these guys arent "slow." they just arent burners. there are very few burners in this class anyways.
Old 10-03-2007
Pro Bowler

Send a message via AIM to DeclanJr

I'm with Andre, I want a guy with some speed. Adrian Peterson is doing great this year and has the size/speed combination that makes you drool, but he was a high draft pick. This is something we shouldn't end up having. I have heard sports commentators say that this year's RB class isn't the strongest also. Why not pick a serviceable guy up in the mid to late rounds and really go after a solid running back after next year?

I think our secondary and O-Line needs are just to glaring and that is where we should go in the early rounds.
Old 10-03-2007
Pro Bowler

if we carry three backs next year like this year it should be...

Green
Taylor
Walker
Old 10-03-2007
Pro Bowler

Send a message via AIM to DeclanJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaldez1984 View Post
if we carry three backs next year like this year it should be...

Green
Taylor
Walker
So, you don't think we'll draft one? And you think Green can stay healthy?
Old 10-03-2007
pure boxer muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozball View Post
there arent a whole lotta fast backs...and half the guys the guy up there mentioned are juniors. patrick, hart, torain...not 1st rounders. mcfadden and stewart are the only 1st round locks...thats how weak this class is. and plus, these guys arent "slow." they just arent burners. there are very few burners in this class anyways.

ray rice is not a 1st rounder?
Old 10-03-2007
All Pro

i dont know that he is. he might not even declare. he's 5'9 195lbs and he runs in the 4.5 area.

here's my reasoning for Cory Boyd. he has size at 6'1 215lbs and he has good hands in the receiving game. he's not going to be a feature back unless he's in the right system, and i don't think we should be looking for a starting RB with green anyways.

next year we'd be with green, boyd, and taylor/gado. then in 2009, when green is in the 3rd year of his 4 year contract, we can draft a guy who has some speed like jamaal charles, felix jones, james davis, brandon ore, ray rice (if he stays), marlon lucky...a bunch of guys.

thats assuming green is on his last legs, which he probably will be. then we'd be with a 1st round RB and Boyd as a the backup and. we could cut green or something, i dunno.

in any case, we aren't going to pick a 1st round RB in 2008. the FS class is just as thin, and has even less depth. Reggie Smith is the 1st round pick in 2008 if he declares, which he probably will because of the lack of talent in this class.
Old 10-03-2007
Pro Bowler

In the 1st round for offense I'd like to see either a RB or a LT.
In the 1st round for defense I'd like to see a FS or a CB. (possibly an OLB)

These, I feel, are our most glaring needs and the potential of having quality players at these positions in the 1st wherever we pick is there.

LT- We are all hoping Spencer comes back 100% and is our franchise LT. A quality LT in both run and pass blocking would really help our team.

RB
- Green is only a stop gap but I'm thrilled to have him. A twist of an ankle here or there shows you our non existent depth at RB. Dayne and Gado are both guys I like, but even I will admit its not pretty at all.

Since this thread is about Running Backs I'll expand. I really am not familiar with many of the RB's that may declare...as far as watching them during games. Jonathan Stewart has really impressed me and early indication is he'll go mid first +. Ray Rice is another guy I really want to watch more. Steve Slaton is a popular choice it seems and think he could be an option. The RB from Georgia I saw last weekend (Brown?) I was really impressed with. Apparently he's a 2nd day guy but I thought he was a solid runner with great moves.

I've seen limited amounts of the Nebraska Running backs, and Felix Jones..I want to pay more attention to them too. I see a lot of guys that are interesting and think we'll have plenty of options...especially if we trade down this year!

CB- our #2 spot doesn't look pretty. I really want to give Bennet a chance to earn that spot and think the kid could be it one day. He's not going to come in and dominate this year, but he may down the road...this is why I'm sketchy at cb in the 1st at this point.

FS- yes yes yes. If there is FS available that is darn near BPA I hope we take him. This would help out our cb's sooo much and make Faggins/Bennet look better. A lot of the blown assignements/coverage blamed on faggins is really cc's or hutchins fault.

DL- please not this year although we could be looking for a pass rushing DE.

LB- Willis and Ryans would have been awesome but Okoye is GREAT. If there are not any players in the other positions that grade out to our pick..I would consider a studly OLB. I think we're a lot better at LB depth than in the past but could use a LB thats good in coverage, blitzing, etc.

At the end of the day, we still have a lot of holes to fill, and RB to me is a big one. Will there be a decent guy in the third? maybe...but ray rice, jonathan stewart, and steve slaton are my top RB's as of now- and I will be watching them a lot
Old 10-04-2007
All Pro

anybody watching Boyd on espn? 12 for 50yd and 2 recp for 21 so far

Last edited by foozball; 10-04-2007 at 09:37 PM.