HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > NFL/Football Discussion > NFL Draft

NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-10-2013
Hall of Famer

Default Xavier Nixon

I have completed most of my due diligence on #73 Xavier Nixon. I started a new thread to be fair and to not hijack the Brian Winters thread.

I think I have found some very interesting information and facts regarding Nixon and the negative comments surrounding his inconsistent play. I have to say after watching (5) 2012 games (S. Caro, Fla St, GA, TAMU, LSU) against some of the very best competition in college his performances do NOT support the inconsistent comments. To the contrary, Xavier Nixon played very very well.

What drove me to further investigate Nixon is, how does a High School Maxwell award winner, Parade All American, NC Player of the Year, US Army All American Bowl, A Freshman All American @ Florida, start 5 games & play in 10 as freshman @ Florida become inconsistent in his Soph and Junior years?

Here is what I found:

2009, Freshman, FLA 13-1, Tebow was starting QB and FLA had a stellar OL, Urban Meyer HC; Steve Addazio OC, spread offense. Started 5 games

2010 SOPH, FLA 8-5, John Brantley NEW QB and major losses on the OL, Meyer HC, Addazio OC (2nd yr), spread offense. Starter RT

INJURED
The only significant Florida injury to occur in the game happened to RT Xavier Nixon in the first quarter. “He’s fine,” Gators coach Urban Meyer said. “Sprained knee. But it was very mild.”

2011 Junior, Fla 7-6, Brantley QB, Will Muschamp NEW HC, Charlie Weis NEW OC, NEW Offense: Pro Style Pistol. Pretty much a given that Meyer left the cupboard bare. Nixon only returning starter on OL.

INJURED
"Weis described Nixon as being banged-up and in pain, but well enough to play through it. He and Green are expected to play this week.

2012 Senior, FLA 11-2, Jeff Driskell Soph QB, Muschamp HC, Brent Pease NEW OC, NEW Offense; Multiple; Team Captain.

Review: In 4 years Xavier Nixon, had (2) Head Coaches, (3) Offensive Coordinators, and (3) different Offensive systems to learn, (3) different QBs, played hurt and through nagging injuries in 2010 & 2011. Was not benched because of play but was held out due to injuries and moved to RT because of a sprained knee. In 2011 was only starter returning to the OL. In 2012 a healthy Nixon played LT very well against some of the toughest and best competition in the country.

Conclusion: Based on history, research, turmoil in new coaches and systems, injuries and a clean bill of health for 2012 followed by solid performances by Nixon, I still say Joeckle and Fisher are the head of the class in OTs. What may have led to the inconsistent remarks could be attributed to playing with injuries and pain and the constant turnover of new QBs, Offensive coordinators and offensive systems. However based on Nixon's solid performance in 2012 against the very best competition I think he's as good as if not better than Lane Johnson. In fact I think Nixon will have the better NFL career. I would not be surprised that when the evaluation process is over if Xavier Nixon is not a 2nd RD draft pick. As a 2nd RD draft pick Xavier Nixon would be the best RT on the Houston Texans.

Added Note: Nixon also had (3) different OL coaches in 4 years.

Last edited by Texian; 01-11-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2013
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

Awesome research

I was looking at Nixon the other day and was wondering why he was not amoung the top of the OT rankings and discussions

He had a lot of hype going to Florida.

That explains a lot. Thank you so much for the breakdown bro.

I'll look at the tape and draw my own opinion as far as techniques tools and talent/ability

This helps a lot with the inconsistent label and the discrepancies i have read in the few scouting reports on Nixon.
Old 01-10-2013
Hall of Famer

Xavier Nixon vs Texas A&M, 09/08/12 primary opponent, #94 Damontre Moore;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzDuiWIBiRw

Xavier Nixon vs LSU 10/06/12; primary opponent, #99 Sam Montgomery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkg6htylDLY

*** BTW - this game ^^^ is one of the best games this season by an ILB (Kevin Minter)***
(all Minter doubters/haters should watch this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkg6htylDLY

17 Solo tackles, 3 Assisted, Total 20 Tackles; 3 TFL; 2 Sacks
http://www.lsusports.net/fls/5200/as...stats/ls06.htm

Xavier Nixon vs South Carolina 10/20/12; Primary Opponent, #7 Jadevon Clowney
***This is really a Herculean effort against the best player in college football***
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvP8Ph-up4Y

Xavier Nixon vs Georgia 10/27/12, Primary Opponent #56 Garrison Smith & #29 Jarvis Jones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D95Spqp1MR8

Xavier Nixon vs Florida St 11/24/12, Primary Opponent #91 Cornelius Carridine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frvskjX5R5A

Last edited by Texian; 01-11-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2013
Hall of Famer

BCS Sugar Bowl
Xavier Nixon vs Louisville, 1/2/13, Primary opponents #91 Marcus Smith; #94 Lorenzo Mauldin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gksluYthXkY

Notes: @ 24:50 mark big man is movin out front leading the way.
@ 30:44 Nixon called for false start

other than that Nixon played a solid game, 3 FLA turn overs/miscues is what the beat the Gators. Driskell is far from a polished QB. Teddy Bridgewater is a polished QB.
Old 01-12-2013
Football Fan

Are the experts saying late second round? Because you won 12 regular season games and are still in the playoffs, you will pick near the end of each round even if you lose on Sunday. Nixon could be gone before the Texans are on the clock in Round 2.

The Jaguars need a starting right tackle more than anything else and have the first pick in the second round (#33) because of their tie with the Chiefs. Is that too high for Nixon if Jacksonville goes with a different position in the first round?
Old 01-12-2013
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarsWoman View Post
Are the experts saying late second round? Because you won 12 regular season games and are still in the playoffs, you will pick near the end of each round even if you lose on Sunday. Nixon could be gone before the Texans are on the clock in Round 2.

The Jaguars need a starting right tackle more than anything else and have the first pick in the second round (#33) because of their tie with the Chiefs. Is that too high for Nixon if Jacksonville goes with a different position in the first round?
I think that once the GMs/Scouts have done all their homework, Senior Bowl, Combine and Pro Days Xavier Nixon will grade out as a RD 1-2 prospect. To answer your question, the Jags should have a good chance of landing Nixon or DJ Fluker at OT w/ the 33rd pick. If healthy Chris Faulk would also be a possibility and another solid player from the SEC.

Last edited by Texian; 01-12-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-16-2013
Football Fan

I don't care about players coming from the SEC. If an offensive lineman plays RT better than Eben Britton, Guy Whimper, and Cameron Bradfield did, he is worth looking at.
Old 01-21-2013
Hall of Famer

Senior Bowl - Xavier Nixon, Florida, 6054, 311, Arms 33 3/4, Hands 10 1/2
Old 01-22-2013
Hall of Famer

Florida tackle Xavier Nixon has also moved around the offensive line this week, seeing extensive time at left tackle, where he lined up mostly in Gainesville, but also taking reps inside at left guard on Tuesday. He flashed the hand strength to deliver a jolt off the snap and hold his ground, but his best attribute is his feet and athleticism, which makes him a better fit on the outside.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...risers-fallers
Old 01-23-2013
All Pro

Was Nixon injured during 1v1 drills? He left after a few reps and was not on field at all for scrimmage.