HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > Texans Discussion > The Bull Pen

The Bull Pen Discuss Texans football here! HOUSTON TEXANS only discussions. Discussions involving other players and teams go in NFL section. We strive to keep this forum strictly about our Texans.

Old 11-05-2013
Texans caused my OCD

Default Does JJ Leave?

I was thinking.. The way things are going with our team currently and the fact that we may be facing a serious rebuild If Gary, Rick and all the coaches are fired And then JJoe, Brice McCain, Ed reed, randy bullock and some even say Foster (Crazy if you ask me) or Ben Tate are all released.

With that said, do yall think JJ Watt sticks around for a couple (or more) losing seasons like Andre did?

It seems to me from his pressers and the way he looks after a loss that if we dont make a quick turn around that we may lose him to another team. ..

Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2013
All aboard! Next stop SB!

Like most other NFL players, JJ Watt will go where the money takes him. He has made a home of Houston, but I'm sure his services can be purchased.

$ In Bill We Trust &
Old 11-05-2013
Texan for Life

Well JJ is on contract through 2014 and the team has the option for a 5th year if they choose to exercise it. JJ is a player to build around, the Texans will try to lock him up. But that's not to say another team offers a contract (like M. Williams) and Texans choose not to match it.

It is a little early to speculate where JJ will be.
Old 11-05-2013
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Well JJ is on contract through 2014 and the team has the option for a 5th year if they choose to exercise it. JJ is a player to build around, the Texans will try to lock him up. But that's not to say another team offers a contract (like M. Williams) and Texans choose not to match it.

Exactly. JJ is a proud guy and is big with the community, if the FO keeps putting talent around him and keeps us competitive, he will stay. We still have next year to prove we are legitimate contenders. And yes, I believe we will be.
Old 11-05-2013
Kool Aid Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O.DuB View Post
I was thinking.. The way things are going with our team currently and the fact that we may be facing a serious rebuild If Gary, Rick and all the coaches are fired And then JJoe, Brice McCain, Ed reed, randy bullock and some even say Foster (Crazy if you ask me) or Ben Tate are all released.

With that said, do yall think JJ Watt sticks around for a couple (or more) losing seasons like Andre did?

It seems to me from his pressers and the way he looks after a loss that if we dont make a quick turn around that we may lose him to another team. ..

Thoughts?
This is about the 5th time this exact thread has been played out this year. The answers are always the same, if we are good enough and pay him enough he won't leave. If we suck and don't pay him enough he will leave....
Old 11-05-2013
Veteran

It will be a money issue. But the Texans will likely have to pay a premium (more than some other teams) to keep him. With the daunting rebuilding job that we are facing, I would not be surprised to see JJ go elsewhere. The real question is what will Andre Johnson do? His opportunity to make it to a superbowl is dwindling fast, and I can't see it happening here.
Old 11-05-2013
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post

And then they can franchise tag him, right?

It might be too much of a gamble but eventually they're going to realize you can' t just load up these guys contracts because you like them personally. Schaub's contract is hampering the team, even Cushing's. Ninja...Daniels....all these guys make just a little too much, especially if the effort is a 2 win team!

Can't Be Satisfied/Muddy Waters Cover (right JJ?)
Old 11-05-2013
Kool Aid Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick 6 View Post
It will be a money issue. But the Texans will likely have to pay a premium (more than some other teams) to keep him. With the daunting rebuilding job that we are facing, I would not be surprised to see JJ go elsewhere. The real question is what will Andre Johnson do? His opportunity to make it to a superbowl is dwindling fast, and I can't see it happening here.
Andre doesn't have a choice he is signed to us for 3 more seasons.....
Old 11-05-2013
Texans caused my OCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbruder44 View Post
This is about the 5th time this exact thread has been played out this year. The answers are always the same, if we are good enough and pay him enough he won't leave. If we suck and don't pay him enough he will leave....
Didnt see the other threads or else I wouldn't have posted this one. I dont get on here everyday and I just wanted to open up dialog with the board members.
Old 11-05-2013
Veteran

Default Really hope not

I really hope that JJ stays. Man, this game is such a crap shoot. I'm sure that Tony Gonzales, Steven Jackson, and Osi Umeniyora didn't anticipate being 1-7 with the Falcons at this point. Just like the Texans and the fan base didn't see us being where we are at this point of the season either. I'll say this or rather suggest this in the future... keep your personal goals to yourself. "20-20-20 club?" Keep it cool, man. Please believe, I want to see him, along with the entire defense, wreak havoc on opposing offenses. But gotta be humble with it. That aside, I hope that he does stay.

Its a business, and can't be mad at the guy for whatever he decides one way or the other. He has been good for Houston. But ultimately, the FO has to be better with personnel decisions as well as financially. I wish the Texans were better positioned financially with this new CBA. I think that when that does finally happen, things will get better.