HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > Texans Discussion > The Bull Pen > Texans Coaching Staff

Texans Coaching Staff Discuss Bill O'Brien's coaching staff here (previously was Head Coach Search forum)

Old 12-06-2013
Retired and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
Saban is done with the NFL. He might go to Texas but no way he becomes the Texans head coach.
I agree with your quote Nate---he might have Bullock try a 57 yard FG with 1 second left on the clock--and we know how that will turn out.
Old 12-06-2013
Veteran

Default Don't read that quite the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Fan 79 View Post
So what I am getting out of the press conference is that McNair wants the next head coach to have the following:

1. Head Coaching experience (college or pro)
2. NFL coaching experience
3. Defensive minded
4. Non-NFL Player

With that said, who are the prospects?

Maybe Lovie Smith, Mike Zimmer, Nick Sabin, Brian Billick, Tony Dungy, Wade Phillips
3. Defensive minded--I never heard that
4. Non-NFL Player --No, he said the coach cannot be overly influenced by the player mentality.
Old 12-06-2013
Veteran

Default McNair wants an HC who is

...ethical and bright.

Who would that eliminate among current NFL HC's?

BTW---I can see Jerry Jones coach requirements--obedient and controllable.

Last edited by dlinhat; 12-06-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2013
Negatively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinhat View Post
bright and ethical.

Who would that eliminate among current NFL HC's?
Rex Ryan would be one I think.

$ In Bill We Trust &
Old 12-06-2013
D League

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphabetZebra View Post
Any chance Lovie would come be DC? I'd rather have Bevell as Coach.

Nick Saban? Just saying...
Bevell and Shaw are the top of my list.
Old 12-06-2013
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
I don't know if I like the requirements that he brought up. There are quite a few defensive coordinators that could be head coaches but just don't have HC experience. Everyone has mentioned David Shaw, does he have NFL experience?

EDIT: He's been an assistant coach with the Eagles, Raiders, and Ravens. He has a solid program at Stanford and as of now, GIVEN THE REQUIREMENTS THAT MCNAIR GAVE, He's my vote. I also like Bill O'Brien and Gus Malzahn.

Someone that doesn't fit the requirements that I like, Mark Dantonio HC Michigan State or his DC Pat Narduzzi. The #1 rated defense even with less talent given that Michigan State doesn't get the kind of recruiting that Alabama or teams in the SEC get. Outside of this year.

Todd Grantham DC Georgia would also be on a lot of teams radars but might not now because of this year's unsuccessful defensive performance. (A lot of freshman on that defense)
Don't leave out the Michigan State trainer Nate. haha
Old 12-06-2013
All Pro Texans Fan!

It's my hope that the Texans pick up either David Shaw or Bill Cowher as the new head coach. Either would be a vast improvement and could possibly bring in a Super Bowl. Lovey Smith would be a great one as well.

GO TEXANS!!!
Old 12-06-2013
Veteran

Default What are your thoughts on Jim Caldwell as a Head Coach fo the Texans?

What are you thoughts about Jim Caldwell being Head Coach of the Texans? He was Offensive Coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens when they won the Super Bowl and also the Indianapolis Colts. Both Teams have out edged us in post season play and gone to the Super Bowl. The South Division Leader is the Indianapolis Colts. Redemption is sweet. He would do everything possible to defeat Indy and show that they made a mistake when they let him go. I feel he would be an excellent coach for the Houston Texans. Although the Titans and Jaguars are rebuilding, it would give our Team an edge next season when playing Indy. I want the Texans to win a Super Bowl as well. Something that the Oilers were never able to do when they were in Houston.

Texans- a new direction that will put the Texans back on top!
Old 12-06-2013
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_j View Post
what are you thoughts about jim caldwell being head coach of the texans? He was offensive coordinator for the baltimore ravens when they won the super bowl and also the indianapolis colts. Both teams have out edged us in post season play and gone to the super bowl. The south division leader is the indianapolis colts. Redemption is sweet. He would do everything possible to defeat indy and show that they made a mistake when they let him go. I feel he would be an excellent coach for the houston texans. Although the titans and jaguars are rebuilding, it would give our team an edge next season when playing indy. I want the texans to win a super bowl as well. Something that the oilers were never able to do when they were in houston.

Texans- a new direction that will put the texans back on top!
heck no!
Old 12-06-2013
Pro Bowler

I've been talking about Darrell Bevell for about 6 weeks now and will continue to be a fan. He is deserving and has put in his time as an OC for Minn and Sea. He has a great offensive mind and just makes more since to me than any other NFL coach. Shaw would be the only college coach that I would want if McNair leaned that direction...