HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > Texans Discussion > The Bull Pen > 2014 Texans Draft Talk

2014 Texans Draft Talk Thoughts regarding potential draft picks for TEXANS only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-16-2014
EK0715 EK0715 is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 267
Default J. Clowney.... 3-4 defensive scheme

Everyone continuing to say that we won’t pick Clowney because he doesn’t fit R. Crennel’s 3-4 defensive scheme is a major assumption. The scheme will be altered to fit Clowney’s talents. Losing 2 starters off of our D-line has now made our defensive line our #1 priority. Even over the QB position. And with Clowney you just don’t pass on drafting someone with this type of talent because of a scheme. That would be like not drafting Barry Sanders because he wouldn’t fit our 1 cut and go running game. If Mario Williams can be a 3-4 OLB at 6’6 295 lbs. then I am sure Clowney can at 6’5 265 lbs. Also, not to mention Clowney has better speed, better acceleration, and better stop/start and cutting ability than Mario. If Mario can gather 6 sacks in 6 games for us before he got hurt, I am sure Clowney can put up some good numbers with his blazing speed. On passing downs he can easily move in to DE and put his hand in the ground. One thing about him that people seem to overlook is his amazing run stopping ability. He is able to catch RB’s in the backfield with ease. Even when the rb is running away from his side of the line. The scheme is important but I see Crennel as a smart enough coach to adjust his scheme to fit his players talents. It has already been said he is going to adjust it to maximize JJ’s talents. Why wouldn’t he do the same with this freak of nature?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-16-2014
Matt_in_KW's Avatar
Matt_in_KW Matt_in_KW is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lurking in Relient
Posts: 4,538
Default

320+ pound O-Linemen are going to be hard for him to get around. He is between 265-275. Not the best matchup for a DE.

Mario is 290+, a better match for the O-linemen. But you also saw him get walled off and shoved back.

I think he could be a hybrid OLB in a 3-4. Pass rusher on 3rd downs and a Ware type role on 1st and 2nd.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-16-2014
EK0715 EK0715 is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
320+ pound O-Linemen are going to be hard for him to get around. He is between 265-275. Not the best matchup for a DE.

Mario is 290+, a better match for the O-linemen. But you also saw him get walled off and shoved back.

I think he could be a hybrid OLB in a 3-4. Pass rusher on 3rd downs and a Ware type role on 1st and 2nd.
I think he would be an OLB with the ability to play DE when the schemes alternate with 4 down lineman. I just don’t feel they will pass on a talent like him because he doesn’t fit a scheme. He can be utilized no matter what scheme we use for years. Every sports announcer out there says Watt will be having his talents wasted in a conventional 3-4. You fit your scheme to the players not the other way around. It’s not the schemes that win the games its the players. I remember when Javon Ke**** was coming out of college and they were calling him a “tweener” and saying he was to small to play DE. That proved to be pure assumption. His presence was a major contributor to the Super Bowl run the Titans made his rookie year.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-2014
aussiedave's Avatar
aussiedave aussiedave is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
320+ pound O-Linemen are going to be hard for him to get around. He is between 265-275. Not the best matchup for a DE.

Mario is 290+, a better match for the O-linemen. But you also saw him get walled off and shoved back.

I think he could be a hybrid OLB in a 3-4. Pass rusher on 3rd downs and a Ware type role on 1st and 2nd.
He is still a young man and will pack on weight easily with that frame.
There is no question he will be a handful for opposing linemen and will likely have to be double teamed.
One other advantage of having him in the Dline is that he will be opposite to Watt, so if teams run their plays away from Watt, then Clowney will be on the other to pick it up.
Now add a big NT and Texans will at least have a powerful front and cause huge problems for offenses.
__________________
Bryce Petty 2015
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2014
2throwed281's Avatar
2throwed281 2throwed281 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,196
Default

Pass rusher is a pass rusher. 34 olb, 43 end, don't really matter. Pass rush and outside contain. They serve the same purpose.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-2014
gs27 gs27 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,655
Default

Romeo asks his defensive lineman - RE, NT, LE to 2 gap. This means their primary objective is to occupy blockers freeing up linebackers to make plays. Crennel's scheme is much different to Wades scheme where Wade is about his front 3 getting penetration and disrupting plays in the back field.

I have been critical of the Crennel hire because it lessens the impact that Watt can have on the field. I have been told repeatedly that Romeo will make an exception for Watt to keep him aggressive and penetrating, I have taken a wait and see stance to that. One thing is for sure, we will not have the # 1 defensive player in the NFL, and in addition to that draft a player #1 in the draft to both play a position that is primarily asked to occupy blockers. That rules out Clowney as a DE.


Romeo requires four linebackers that are versatile and can do what ever is asked of them. Cushing and Reed are perfect fits for Crennel's defense. Crennel even prefers his weakside linebacker to be able to drop back in coverage. Clowney has stiff hips and struggles at change of direction as a pass rusher, much less in coverage. Jadeveon could have choose to do OLB linebacker drills at the combine but did not. It was probably a good call on his part because he would have looked his name, a clown, if he did participate. Mercilus is a former 1st round pick that will already have to be adjusted for playing on the weakside. Clowney would be even worse. If we draft an OLB in the 1st it has to be Mack, he is a perfect fit.

All of this does not even consider the fact Clowney had only three sacks last year, and teams repeatedly used his lack of discipline against the Gamecocks. All season teams repeated ran straight through the gaps Clowney was supposed to be occupying, watch the Wisconsin game! It was to the point that Spurrier frequently removed Clowney from the game when the team needed to make a critical stop on defense!

How many exceptions are we going to make to Crennels scheme. We already have to make exceptions for Watt and Mercilus. This is why I think we should have hired a 4-3 coordinator, but that is in the past. Clowney has not place in Crennels defense and I see no way possible he will be our pick. Bump this when I am proven wrong!
__________________
1 Manziel-QB 2 Amaro-TE 3 Van Noy-LB 4 Abbrederis-WR 4 Cockrell-CB 5 Johnson-OT 6 Ladler-FS 6 Urschel-OG 6 Gardner-DE 7 Long-OG 7 Allen-NT
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-16-2014
thunderkyss thunderkyss is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK0715 View Post
I think he would be an OLB with the ability to play DE when the schemes alternate with 4 down lineman. I just don’t feel they will pass on a talent like him because he doesn’t fit a scheme.
I agree that he's a freak of a talent, but only as a 4-3 DE. As an OLB, he's not all that freaky. As a 3-4 DE, he's not a good prospect at all.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-16-2014
Matt_in_KW's Avatar
Matt_in_KW Matt_in_KW is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lurking in Relient
Posts: 4,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs27 View Post
Romeo asks his defensive lineman - RE, NT, LE to 2 gap. This means their primary objective is to occupy blockers freeing up linebackers to make plays. Crennel's scheme is much different to Wades scheme where Wade is about his front 3 getting penetration and disrupting plays in the back field.

I have been critical of the Crennel hire because it lessens the impact that Watt can have on the field. I have been told repeatedly that Romeo will make an exception for Watt to keep him aggressive and penetrating, I have taken a wait and see stance to that. One thing is for sure, we will not have the # 1 defensive player in the NFL, and in addition to that draft a player #1 in the draft to both play a position that is primarily asked to occupy blockers. That rules out Clowney as a DE.


Romeo requires four linebackers that are versatile and can do what ever is asked of them. Cushing and Reed are perfect fits for Crennel's defense. Crennel even prefers his weakside linebacker to be able to drop back in coverage. Clowney has stiff hips and struggles at change of direction as a pass rusher, much less in coverage. Jadeveon could have choose to do OLB linebacker drills at the combine but did not. It was probably a good call on his part because he would have looked his name, a clown, if he did participate. Mercilus is a former 1st round pick that will already have to be adjusted for playing on the weakside. Clowney would be even worse. If we draft an OLB in the 1st it has to be Mack, he is a perfect fit.

All of this does not even consider the fact Clowney had only three sacks last year, and teams repeatedly used his lack of discipline against the Gamecocks. All season teams repeated ran straight through the gaps Clowney was supposed to be occupying, watch the Wisconsin game! It was to the point that Spurrier frequently removed Clowney from the game when the team needed to make a critical stop on defense!

How many exceptions are we going to make to Crennels scheme. We already have to make exceptions for Watt and Mercilus. This is why I think we should have hired a 4-3 coordinator, but that is in the past. Clowney has not place in Crennels defense and I see no way possible he will be our pick. Bump this when I am proven wrong!
Romeo KNOWS what Watt can do. I doubt he dosent put in a position to keep doing what he has been.

Also, dont forget Romeo swaps formations alot. While he is a 3-4 guy, I have seen in NE mainly line up in a 4-3, 4-2-4, 3-3-5, 5-2-4 (the extra guy on the line is blitz only), 5-1-5, 3-2-6... the guy knows D. And he can shift stuff to take advantage of what he sees or a captin points out to him. You may see only 2 true linemen and 4-5 LBs some maybe on the line other times they are all off. And he also has used some 46 looks, and that is a system Watt would not be stopped in.

So, in all expect stuff we use to see when NE played Indy. And never be shocked at some of the odd personal you see...it has a reason.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2014
aussiedave's Avatar
aussiedave aussiedave is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,439
Default Watt helps Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
Romeo KNOWS what Watt can do. I doubt he dosent put in a position to keep doing what he has been.

Also, dont forget Romeo swaps formations alot. While he is a 3-4 guy, I have seen in NE mainly line up in a 4-3, 4-2-4, 3-3-5, 5-2-4 (the extra guy on the line is blitz only), 5-1-5, 3-2-6... the guy knows D. And he can shift stuff to take advantage of what he sees or a captin points out to him. You may see only 2 true linemen and 4-5 LBs some maybe on the line other times they are all off. And he also has used some 46 looks, and that is a system Watt would not be stopped in.

So, in all expect stuff we use to see when NE played Indy. And never be shocked at some of the odd personal you see...it has a reason.
Last season, teams double teamed every play on Clowney.
If he gets on to the Texans roster, JJ Watt will be on the other side also being double teamed.
That will stretch the protection thin for the QB and allow the LB's better opportunities to rush in.
Is that the way others see this?
__________________
Bryce Petty 2015
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2014
C.O.DuB C.O.DuB is offline
Texans caused my OCD
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Galveston
Age: 21
Posts: 771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs27 View Post
Romeo asks his defensive lineman - RE, NT, LE to 2 gap. This means their primary objective is to occupy blockers freeing up linebackers to make plays. Crennel's scheme is much different to Wades scheme where Wade is about his front 3 getting penetration and disrupting plays in the back field.

I have been critical of the Crennel hire because it lessens the impact that Watt can have on the field. I have been told repeatedly that Romeo will make an exception for Watt to keep him aggressive and penetrating, I have taken a wait and see stance to that. One thing is for sure, we will not have the # 1 defensive player in the NFL, and in addition to that draft a player #1 in the draft to both play a position that is primarily asked to occupy blockers. That rules out Clowney as a DE.


Romeo requires four linebackers that are versatile and can do what ever is asked of them. Cushing and Reed are perfect fits for Crennel's defense. Crennel even prefers his weakside linebacker to be able to drop back in coverage. Clowney has stiff hips and struggles at change of direction as a pass rusher, much less in coverage. Jadeveon could have choose to do OLB linebacker drills at the combine but did not. It was probably a good call on his part because he would have looked his name, a clown, if he did participate. Mercilus is a former 1st round pick that will already have to be adjusted for playing on the weakside. Clowney would be even worse. If we draft an OLB in the 1st it has to be Mack, he is a perfect fit.

All of this does not even consider the fact Clowney had only three sacks last year, and teams repeatedly used his lack of discipline against the Gamecocks. All season teams repeated ran straight through the gaps Clowney was supposed to be occupying, watch the Wisconsin game! It was to the point that Spurrier frequently removed Clowney from the game when the team needed to make a critical stop on defense!

How many exceptions are we going to make to Crennels scheme. We already have to make exceptions for Watt and Mercilus. This is why I think we should have hired a 4-3 coordinator, but that is in the past. Clowney has not place in Crennels defense and I see no way possible he will be our pick. Bump this when I am proven wrong!
Wait.. why cant Whitney play in crennel's 34 again?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.