HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > Texans Discussion > The Bull Pen

The Bull Pen Discuss Texans football here! HOUSTON TEXANS only discussions. Discussions involving other players and teams go in NFL section. We strive to keep this forum strictly about our Texans.

Old 02-17-2008
Veteran

Default Charley Casserly - What a Joke on Wikipedia

Check out this entry for Charley on Wikipedia. It was obviously written by someone close to Charley.

Here is a quote I found rather humorous:

"Considered by many as one of the most respected General Managers in the NFL throughout his career, Casserly most recently served as Senior Vice President & General Manager, Football Operations, for the expansion franchise Houston Texans beginning in 2000 through 2006."

Here is the entirety of what the entry says about his tenure with the Texans:

"During his four years leading the Texans in the NFL draft, Houston was the only team to draft two Rookies of the Year (Domanick Davis, Dunta Robinson) and two starting Pro Bowlers (Andre Johnson, Jerome Mathis).

"Casserley [sic] is known in Houston as the decisionmaker in choosing Mario Williams in the 2006 NFL Draft over Vince Young or Reggie Bush.

"On May 11, 2006 Casserly resigned as general manager of the Texans and officially stepped down on June 1."

Hmmmmm...no mention of all the lousy draft choices he made while in Houston, or the fact that he was on his way out at the time of the 2006 draft, when McNair and Kubiak were the ones really wielding the power, or the fact that his legacy in Houston was a 2-14 season, and that he left behind a team with very little talent, no depth and in salary cap hell. The quote about Robinson winning a Rookie of the Year award isn't even true! Where does one even begin with Casserly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Casserly
Old 02-17-2008
Resident Outcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post

"Casserley [sic] is known in Houston as the decisionmaker in choosing Mario Williams in the 2006 NFL Draft over Vince Young or Reggie Bush.

[/url]

Ya I can just hear him now...

in 06' - Mario was all Kubiak's pick.... all Kubiak!

in 07' - completely taking credit for the Mario pick.

TEXANS GRIDIRON DOT COM
Old 02-17-2008
Pro Bowler

Send a message via AIM to DeclanJr

Quote:
Check out this entry for Charley on Wikipedia. It was obviously written by someone close to Charley.

"Considered by many as one of the most respected General Managers in the NFL throughout his career, Casserly most recently served as Senior Vice President & General Manager, Football Operations, for the expansion franchise Houston Texans beginning in 2000 through 2006."

"During his four years leading the Texans in the NFL draft, Houston was the only team to draft two Rookies of the Year (Domanick Davis, Dunta Robinson) and two starting Pro Bowlers (Andre Johnson, Jerome Mathis).

"On May 11, 2006 Casserly resigned as general manager of the Texans and officially stepped down on June 1."

Hmmmmm...no mention of all the lousy draft choices he made while in Houston, or the fact that he was on his way out at the time of the 2006 draft, when McNair and Kubiak were the ones really wielding the power, or the fact that his legacy in Houston was a 2-14 season, and that he left behind a team with very little talent, no depth and in salary cap hell. The quote about Robinson winning a Rookie of the Year award isn't even true! Where does one even begin with Casserly?

Have you ever seen a Wikipedia definition where they talk about someone's mistakes? What in this is inaccurate? I don't think he did a great job, but it isn't like they made things up.
Old 02-17-2008
Professional Agitator

All the fans were saying Mario was Casserly's pick until Mario started to dominate.

I'm just sayin'.
Old 02-17-2008
Quarterback

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77

I made it better

Houston Texans
During his four years leading the Texans in the NFL draft, Houston was the only team to draft two Rookies of the Year (Domanick Davis, Dunta Robinson) and two starting Pro Bowlers (Andre Johnson, Jerome Mathis). however, he was also known for very bad choices such as David Carr, Dave Ragone and more.

Casserley is known in Houston as the decisionmaker in choosing Mario Williams in the 2006 NFL Draft over Vince Young or Reggie Bush, despite the fact that Texans coach Gary Kubiak made the pick.

On May 11, 2006 Casserly resigned as general manager of the Texans and officially stepped down on June 1 after a 2-14 season.

GO TEXANS
Old 02-17-2008
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanJr View Post
Have you ever seen a Wikipedia definition where they talk about someone's mistakes? What in this is inaccurate? I don't think he did a great job, but it isn't like they made things up.
You're kidding, right? The quote about Robinson winning the Rookie of the Year award is blatantly wrong. The comment about Casserly being one of the most respected GM's in the NFL throughout his career is hard to verify with objective evidence, but I doubt it's accurate. He certainly wasn't respected when he left Houston -- he was a joke. Not too long ago, I read something in Pro Football Weekly about a presentation Casserly was asked to make at an NFL gathering of some sort, and PFW quoted an NFL official as saying something to the effect of, "Listen to what Casserly says, then do the exact opposite."

What else about the entry? Let's see...Casserly did not make the Williams pick. He was a lame duck at the time it was made and certainly didn't have the authority to make a decision of that magnitude. While Casserly did resign, in all likelihood it was only because he was graciously allowed to do so by McNair (rather than get fired) because McNair is a class guy. ProFootballTalk.com was never able to get a definitive answer about whether or not Casserly got a severance package. If he did, that would mean the "resignation" was more akin to a departure McNair forced, rather than one where Casserly voluntarily chose to walk away. If he really did quit, McNair would not have been obligated to pay him anything.

Good grief, keep in mind that McNair hired Dan Reeves as a consultant before the 2-14 season had even come to a close, a hiring that thoroughly humiliated Casserly.

I've seen plenty of entries on Wikipedia that give a more complete picture, good and bad, of subjects covered. Casserly's is way too generous given the titanic mess he left behind here.
Old 02-17-2008
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

Quote:
You're kidding, right? The quote about Robinson winning the Rookie of the Year award is blatantly wrong. The comment about Casserly being one of the most respected GM's in the NFL throughout his career is hard to verify with objective evidence, but I doubt it's accurate. He certainly wasn't respected when he left Houston -- he was a joke. Not too long ago, I read something in Pro Football Weekly about a presentation Casserly was asked to make at an NFL gathering of some sort, and PFW quoted an NFL official as saying something to the effect of, "Listen to what Casserly says, then do the exact opposite."

What else about the entry? Let's see...Casserly did not make the Williams pick. He was a lame duck at the time it was made and certainly didn't have the authority to make a decision of that magnitude. While Casserly did resign, in all likelihood it was only because he was graciously allowed to do so by McNair (rather than get fired) because McNair is a class guy. ProFootballTalk.com was never able to get a definitive answer about whether or not Casserly got a severance package. If he did, that would mean the "resignation" was more akin to a departure McNair forced, rather than one where Casserly voluntarily chose to walk away. If he really did quit, McNair would not have been obligated to pay him anything.

Good grief, keep in mind that McNair hired Dan Reeves as a consultant before the 2-14 season had even come to a close, a hiring that thoroughly humiliated Casserly.

I've seen plenty of entries on Wikipedia that give a more complete picture, good and bad, of subjects covered. Casserly's is way too generous given the titanic mess he left behind here.
Nice post and well stated.
Old 02-17-2008
Pro Bowler

CC lives in fantasy land. 2-14 & crappy trades are a more accurate portrayl of his tenure with the Texans. I believe people on this board could have done a better job drafting players than CC.
Old 02-17-2008
Hall of Famer

Default Casserly

Quote:

It is true that Casserly was one of the most respected GMs available at the time the Texans hired him. I am one that is willing to give Casserly and Capers a break. It had to be hard to come in on the ground floor of a expansion team with no talent and make them winners in 2 or 3 years. Do you guys really look at what we had to start out with? We didn't get the same sweet expansion deal that Carolina and Jacksonville got coming into the league. The NFl didn't want the team in Houston in the first place so that could be the reason we didn't get carolina/jags deal. Why not blame the owner for hiring them? I just think its time to move on because in this business things are just not that easy as some of us posters on message boards make it seem to be. I'm looking forward, not back on past failures. ALL ABOARD.
Old 02-17-2008
All Pro

hehehe....