HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > Texans Discussion > The Bull Pen

The Bull Pen Discuss Texans football here! HOUSTON TEXANS only discussions. Discussions involving other players and teams go in NFL section. We strive to keep this forum strictly about our Texans.

Old 07-02-2008
Practice Squad

Default Texans Vs. Oilers

I am just curious as to who the people of houston prefer. When the oilers left Houston I was young and just getting into football. There departure left me feeling betrade. After that I had no choice but to go for the Cowboys. When They announced that houston was recieving a new team I immediatly started supporting them, even before they decided on a name. i have not looked back since, Infact now I hate the cowboys. I feel like the texans are the houston team for my generation. So it is obvious which one i prefer. And now that the team is on the rise I couldnt be happier that the Texans are the team from houston and that the Oilers are out of town. Im just wondering what other peoples opinions are on the subject. Esp. the older generation that had more of a history with "love ya blue" teams.
Old 07-02-2008
Veteran

I feel similar to the topic creater except i dont hate the cowboys(dont really care for them though either). I personally love the colors and logos alot better. (never liked the oil rig with light blue and red?...sorry).

I am glad the oilers got a new franchise team etc. cause now we've got a cooler franchise, and I don't hate the Titans, I just hate all the pointless bickering between opposing fans.
Old 07-02-2008
XboxLive: MR FANTASTIC 75

Send a message via MSN to Darkninja Send a message via Yahoo to Darkninja
Default Hey!

I loved the Oilers so much, I am Earl Campbell's love child. But after the Oilers left, I ended up rooting for the Cowboys b/c it was the only Texas team around. I now have a love/hate relationship with the Texans b/c its taking way too long through the excuses and politics for the Texans to get their act together. I told myself to forgive and forget so I'm going to root again through the first half of the season.....but if they start acting like typical players too busy counting their money on field.(Not having their heads in the game) I will come back to this forum and start bashing them like 2 seasons ago..... I should have been banned back in those DC years.
Old 07-02-2008
" A New Era Begins"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkninja View Post
I loved the Oilers so much, I am Earl Campbell's love child. But after the Oilers left, I ended up rooting for the Cowboys b/c it was the only Texas team around. I now have a love/hate relationship with the Texans b/c its taking way too long through the excuses and politics for the Texans to get their act together. I told myself to forgive and forget so I'm going to root again through the first half of the season.....but if they start acting like typical players too busy counting their money on field.(Not having their heads in the game) I will come back to this forum and start bashing them like 2 seasons ago..... I should have been banned back in those DC years.
Not to be an arse about it, but that sounds like a perfect definition of a Bandwagon Fan if I ever heard one.
Old 07-02-2008
Rookie

I still get a lump in my throat when i think about how the Oilers left town. I've always been an Oiler Fan and always will. Not that I dont like the Texans, but the Oilers will always be #1 for me. When we got the Texans, i was relieved as hell, hated acting like i was OK with them leaving and being the Titans. Piss on them and piss on the cowboys!!

Go Texans!
Old 07-02-2008
Practice Squad

I loved the Oilers. I went to both Luv you Blue peprallies. When the Oilers left, I quit the NFL. The difference is that back then, the Oilers were a bunch of overachievers and you loved them for the efforts, but you hated Bud. Now with our ownership and front office, you have to love the organization. Anyone who doesn't, should live elswhere.
Old 07-02-2008
All Pro

I prefer having a team.
Old 07-02-2008
Resident Outcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFan03 View Post
I feel similar to the topic creater except i dont hate the cowboys(dont really care for them though either). I personally love the colors and logos alot better. (never liked the oil rig with light blue and red?...sorry).

I am glad the oilers got a new franchise team etc. cause now we've got a cooler franchise, and I don't hate the Titans, I just hate all the pointless bickering between opposing fans.
I was an Oilers fan, and my problem is i'm a one team kinda person, so I was all Oilers. They were the closest NFL team to where I lived (Corpus Christi) and although my dad was a giants fan, he would always watch the Oilers after we moved from New York to Texas. ( I was less than a year old) So that's exactly what I did. I remember when Earl was on the team and watching him, I actually had one of those cheap generic football players you could get back then either in black or white and you could change their numbers out. Mine always said 34. I was a football fan early on because of my dad and brother so they helped me along in becoming passionate about the game and by the time we got Warren Moon I was a hardcore fan of the Oilers and no other team stood in the way. I know this sounds cliche' but they went hand in hand with some of my greatest childhood memories of watching those games with my dad and brother. Then when Adams decided to move the team to tennessee I hated the idea so much and didn't follow the politics of it back then so I didn't really know why, I think I just thought it was the NFL's decision, so they were my team and reluctantly I was going to continue to follow them. I hated everything about them once they changed the name and I got the info on how everything really went down, I couldn't stand to see the Oiler name just simply disregarded. So my hate for the team pretty much started right there and it has grown since. I was left without a team, I couldn't hop on the cowboys bandwagon because by then I already had heated discussions with friends how the Oilers were so much better than the Cowboys. So I just followed pro football for awhile, but it wasn't even close to the same so I watched alot of college ball until they announced we got the Texans.

I am trying to instill some of those same memories of my childhood watching the oilers, in my son with the Texans. I am taking him to a game this season, and I hope he really gets what it's all about and can build his own memories of the time we spend together watching the greatest game on this planet. That was such an important part of my life and I hope it rubs off on him.

TEXANS GRIDIRON DOT COM
Old 07-02-2008
Veteran

I still have memories of watching the Oilers with my father and going to games with him and some of my cousins. I was able to take him to a preseason Texans a few years back and I could see that nostalgia in his eyes. I took him to training camp last year too and he loved it so I'm gonna get some tix for him this tear too. I think he's still an Oiler at heart. Me, I'm sure the Texans will become what the Oilers were for him but I'll never forget what the Oilers were to my childhood. And it may sound dumb but if the Dome was ever torn down I think I'd shed a tear ot two.
Old 07-02-2008
Fan of Jesus!

I loved the Oilers but hated Bud Adams. He wanted a new stadium and we wanted a Superbowl. Niether of us got what we wanted so we parted ways. If the Oilers had won a Superbowl, they would have gotten a new stadium. To keep it in perspective though, the cowgirls stadium is about the same age as the Astrodome and they are just now getting a new one. Go figure.

Anyway, the Luv Ya Blue days were awesome! Earl Campbell is still my all time football hero.The only reason we never made the Superbowl was because the Steelers were dominant and we could never get past them. I became a Steeler fan after the Oilers left because I always thought of them as our big brother that always beat up on us. Lots of respect for the Steel Curtain.

Later years with Warren Moon and Co. were up and down for me. We had so much potential but could never quite make it. Remember the playoff game vs the Jills? I lost a case of beer and had to burn my Oilers jersey in my Buffalo friends fireplace because of that game. Not cool. Anyway, I was sad to see them go but glad Bud was gone. He sucks.

I love the Texans as much as I did the Oilers who are just a fond memory now. The Texans are great all the way from the top on down. We have a dedicated owner, great coaches/Gm and a host of increasing talent. I can see the Texans doing something the Oilers never could do...win a Superbowl. Also I hope Bud Adams lives long enough to see us dominate his tacks season after season. GO TEXANS!